we may not be alone.............. (1 Viewer)

rybccfc

How can you not believe that there is something out there? Whether we are being visited is another thing!!! Then again have you been to Nuneaton?

skybluetony176

When you consider how infinitely large space is there must be other life forms out there. Not sure they have the ability to visit us or if they do they’re clearly of higher intelligence than us and sensibly give us a wide berth.

richnrg

When you consider how infinitely large space is there must be other life forms out there. Not sure they have the ability to visit us or if they do they’re clearly of higher intelligence than us and sensibly give us a wide berth.
'how infinately large' doesn't make sense, does it? It's either infinate or not. ?

richnrg

To simplify this 'largeness' thing a bit:
"Arbitrarily large" is not equivalent to sufficiently large". For instance, while it is true that prime numbers can be arbitrarily large since there are an infinate number of them, it is not true that all sufficiently large numbers are prime. "Arbitrarily large" does not mean "infinately large" because although prime numbers can be arbitrarily large, an infinitely large prime does not exist since all prime numbers (as well as all other integers) are finite

Malaka

I have read pretty much everything there is to read on this subject and watched countless documentaries. I used to believe that we were visited by Aliens, but one documentary by an aircraft journalist stopped me. The head honcho at Lockheed took great pleasure in telling him 'whatever you think we have got, we are forty years ahead' comments were also made that ET would not have to have phone home to get his mates collect him, we could now take him.
Most UFO's are Black Projects and classified military aircraft. I am more inclined to think the aliens are inter dimensional creatures.
Did you know, that if the ancient Romans had our technology and sent a space craft towards the nearest star, it would only be a third of the way?
To think that there is no intelligent life in the cosmos is naive but whether we have been visited or not, I aint convinced, but I would love it if we had

Marty

Couldn't care less and frankly it really bothers me the money that they waste on crap like this

It's not crap and they don't waste money on it. To put it in perspective how little money is spent, The running costs of NASA, since it's creation (60 years ago), is lower then the amount spent in 1 month during the Iraq war.

RegTheDonk

.....To think that there is no intelligent life in the cosmos is naive but whether we have been visited or not, I aint convinced, but I would love it if we had
I'm with you to a point Malaka. I also believe intelligent life is out there and it would be great if he popped down in the middle of Broadgate. But with our current understanding of the universe and the limit of light speed, the sheer distances involved make it impractical for them to contact us never mind visit. However, I believe that recent theories in some quarters are challenging Einstein's E=MC2

One thing give me a lot of hope: the universe is billions of years old, yet look at how we've evolved technologically in just a few hundred years. Imagine other species who have had a slight head start on us, perhaps just a million years or so. They probably have been able to discover dark matter, prove string theory, understand out how wormholes work ... many of the theories our boffins have but are unable yet to prove and, importantly, manipulate. Maybe ET has cracked it on a level we don't yet comprehend - though, as others have said, why would they bother coming here? What can they learn from us?

I've been listening to podcasts in the car for the last few months from Howard Hughes' show, the unexplained. Its quite clear that there are some crackpots on it, others also publicising their latest book ... but some of them do make some really valid arguements.

dancers lance

Does anyone genuinely believe in aliens etc?
The probability of alien life is 100%, whether they are visiting Earth (with a penchant for sexy cattle) is an entirely different matter.

ccfchoi87

It's not crap and they don't waste money on it. To put it in perspective how little money is spent, The running costs of NASA, since it's creation (60 years ago), is lower then the amount spent in 1 month during the Iraq war.

NASA has a budget at around £20billion. If you think they provide results worth that amount then fair enough. I personally do think fantasising about the unknown is crap.

dancers lance

The Drake equation : "The universe has 10 million, million, million suns (10 followed by 18 zeros) similar to our own. One in a million has planets around it. Only one in a million million has the right combination of chemicals, temperature, water, days and nights to support planetary life as we know it. This calculation arrives at the estimated figure of 100 million worlds where life has been forged by evolution."[

dancers lance

NASA has a budget at around £20billion. If you think they provide results worth that amount then fair enough. I personally do think fantasising about the unknown is crap.
And that is why I won't be going to church on Sunday.

Marty

The Drake equation : "The universe has 10 million, million, million suns (10 followed by 18 zeros) similar to our own. One in a million has planets around it. Only one in a million million has the right combination of chemicals, temperature, water, days and nights to support planetary life as we know it. This calculation arrives at the estimated figure of 100 million worlds where life has been forged by evolution."[

We're using a sample size of one (Earth) to base our knowledge on too, even on our own planet we're starting to discover life forms that are able to thrive in things like sulphuric acid, which means Moons such as IO are now capable of harbouring life, Even a moon like Europa, considered to be to far away from the sun to be in the 'Goldilocks zone', has very strong suspicions of liquid water under it's icy surface warmed by tidal flexing due to Jupiter close proximity. Similar with one of Saturn's moon, Enceladus.

It's amazing and so interesting, and it develops our understanding of the world around us.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I don't believe in any god. I don't believe in alien life forms. I just believe that you're born, you die, and the bit in the middle is called life. Now, where's RB1992 when you need a good argument?

dancers lance

We're using a sample size of one (Earth) to base our knowledge on too, even on our own planet we're starting to discover life forms that are able to thrive in things like sulphuric acid, which means Moons such as IO are now capable of harbouring life, Even a moon like Europa, considered to be to far away from the sun to be in the 'Goldilocks zone', has very strong suspicions of liquid water under it's icy surface warmed by tidal flexing due to Jupiter close proximity. Similar with one of Saturn's moon, Enceladus.

It's amazing and so interesting, and it develops our understanding of the world around us.
Indeed, we can't limit probabilities based on what our understanding is, we are but a skid mark on a very large pair of pants.

dancers lance

I don't believe in any god. I don't believe in alien life forms. I just believe that you're born, you die, and the bit in the middle is called life. Now, where's RB1992 when you need a good argument?
I believe exactly the same,but as a lover of science I have to agree with probabilities that alien life exists. This belief has no basis in religion quite the opposite, alien life might just be a bacteria living in a toxic soup on a far flung planet, but it is life. Also, if any form of life is discovered outside our own planet it instantly trashes the religion argument, we will no longer be the "special ones designed with a higher purpose by an immaculate higher deity"

Houchens Head

I believe exactly the same,but as a lover of science I have to agree with probabilities that alien life exists. This belief has no basis in religion quite the opposite, alien life might just be a bacteria living in a toxic soup on a far flung planet, but it is life. Also, if any form of life is discovered outside our own planet it instantly trashes the religion argument, we will no longer be the "special ones designed with a higher purpose by an immaculate higher deity"
I actually said that I don't believe in alien life forms, as in aliens with intelligent brains that can build road systems and buildings, transport etc... I accept that there may be some sort of amoeba cell living on some far flung planet, but I don't rate those as an "intelligent life force". I like your idea of "if any form of life is discovered outside our own planet it instantly trashes the religion argument, we will no longer be the "special ones designed with a higher purpose by an immaculate higher deity".

dancers lance

RB1992 hasn't spoken to me after I told him I had listened to all of the "Sunday Preachings" that the church he was promoting had posted on Soundcloud.

dancers lance

I actually said that I don't believe in alien life forms, as in aliens with intelligent brains that can build road systems and buildings, transport etc... I accept that there may be some sort of amoeba cell living on some far flung planet, but I don't rate those as an "intelligent life force". I like your idea of "if any form of life is discovered outside our own planet it instantly trashes the religion argument, we will no longer be the "special ones designed with a higher purpose by an immaculate higher deity".
It's not an "idea" it's fact :joyful:

Marty

Well, scientists think they may have found a type 2 civilisation. Which would make them far more advanced then us.

For me, the idea of God is a paradox, I believe that we have evolved and will continue to do so, but we know we can't create something from nothing, so where did the building blocks of the universe come from? God? maybe, but the same theory applies, what or how did God get 'created/born', How did he just exist out of nothing, so that leads me think that hes apart of a bigger, more advance society/universe (possibly a scientist and we're just an experiment), but then I'm back to the start in that how did that universe begin. I think about it quite a lot actually and I can't come up with a solution which doesn't leave me going round in circles.

dancers lance

Well, scientists think they may have found a type 2 civilisation. Which would make them far more advanced then us.

For me, the idea of God is a paradox, I believe that we have evolved and will continue to do so, but we know we can't create something from nothing, so where did the building blocks of the universe come from? God? maybe, but the same theory applies, what or how did God get 'created/born', How did he just exist out of nothing, so that leads me think that hes apart of a bigger, more advance society/universe (possibly a scientist and we're just an experiment), but then I'm back to the start in that how did that universe begin. I think about it quite a lot actually and I can't come up with a solution which doesn't leave me going round in circles.
We do have a massive understanding of what we are made of and what the chemical composition was that spawned the first shoots of life on our planet, Every single compound that we can observe has it's basis in the "big bang" We are way off having the ability to understand what lies beyond our observable universe and we don't have the mental ability to compute infinity......hence, magic, giant, omnipotent, all controlling beardy guy!

Houchens Head

Marty. I'll tell you how "god" and all those beliefs started. Thousands of years ago, when man had little understanding of the workings of life and the universe, when some strange phenomenon occurred - e.g. earthquake, tidal wave, storms, drought, eclipses, etc etc.... they hadn't a freakin' clue how to explain it away, so they invented some strange being that MUST be responsible for these "natural occurrences" that we now know as NATURE, but those poor bastards had no idea, so had to blame it on something. So they started worshiping this made-up god to appease his anger. The rest, as they say is history. We're now stuck with primeval beliefs.

dancers lance

Marty. I'll tell you how "god" and all those beliefs started. Thousands of years ago, when man had little understanding of the workings of life and the universe, when some strange phenomenon occurred - e.g. earthquake, tidal wave, storms, drought, eclipses, etc etc.... they hadn't a freakin' clue how to explain it away, so they invented some strange being that MUST be responsible for these "natural occurrences" that we now know as NATURE, but those poor bastards had no idea, so had to blame it on something. So they started worshiping this made-up god to appease his anger. The rest, as they say is history. We're now stuck with primeval beliefs.
Are you trying to say that the goat I have just sacrificed to the "snow god" was an utter waste of time?

Marty

We do have a massive understanding of what we are made of and what the chemical composition was that spawned the first shoots of life on our planet, Every single compound that we can observe has it's basis in the "big bang" We are way off having the ability to understand what lies beyond our observable universe and we don't have the mental ability to compute infinity......hence, magic, giant, omnipotent, all controlling beardy guy!

I understand this, but my question is where did those elements come from? We are near enough made of the same elements the universe has apart from helium which is chemically inert. I want to know what we started from, not the elements that form the universe, but how the elements got there to start with.

Marty

That's my understanding of religion and God too. Like I've just responded, the point seems to have been lost as I didn't explain myself correctly, hopefully my previous post to this explains what I want answering and for my lack of ruling out of a higher being. I'm not religious at all.

dancers lance

That's my understanding of religion and God too. Like I've just responded, the point seems to have been lost as I didn't explain myself correctly, hopefully my previous post to this explains what I want answering and for my lack of ruling out of a higher being. I'm not religious at all.
I think it was the" lack of ruling out a higher being" churchboy! :woot:

Gazolba

Does anyone genuinely believe in aliens etc?
Yes, I'm sure on the billions and billions of habitable planets in the universe, there is something crawling or flying (maybe even hopping?) around somewhere. And who is to say what is intelligent and what isn't?
I'm pretty sure, however, that no other civilisation in the universe has invented a game called 'Cricket' and a fielding position called 'Silly Mid Off'.
We are definitely unique in that.

edgy

As mentioned above, the chances of there being something else out there is 99% if not 100%. However, in terms of ever discovering or making contact with other lifeforms, the chances are next to zero.
It's not just the shear infinite expanse we're up against, but time too. An advanced civilisation may have existed and died out, but millions of year ago. The first stages of evolution may be happening right now, but we'll die out before they are noticeable.

They are out there, but we won't find them.

Users who are viewing this thread