We have 20 players out of contract in the summer (1 Viewer)

Samo

Otis, out of those 20 + loanees would you keep IF we had a miracle and got promoted?

Exactly. If you are pushing for promotion the last thing you want is a whole bunch of contracted L1 players you can't shift.

LB87ccfc

Otis, out of those 20 + loanees would you keep IF we had a miracle and got promoted?

Fleck, OBrien as a bit part player like now for his hassling, Sambou for the future, Maybe Cole in some form of capacity, rest can go if we went up, as would not be good enough.

Gazolba

Our two-year plan consists or two one-year plans.

Otis

On the proviso that it was down to us and not the player?

Stokes, Lorentzson (though I do need to see more of him), Martin, Armstrong, Murphy, Rose (ditto Lorentzson).

You need your core players, keeper, defender, midfielder, striker.

Not convinced at all we will get another like Armstrong next season.

Otis

Plus obviously the likes of Sambou, the Kelly-Evans twins and Lawton if they are promising enough.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Maybe they are waiting to see what division we are in next year before deciding who they want to retain?

Other than Fleck would any of the other players cut it in the championship? Lets face it, the likes of Martin and Ricketts are hardly going to swimming in better offers than ourselves anyway so we can wait. Fleck aside, largely the ones that are released are going to be Mowbray doesn't want them.

My guess would be if we are in league one next year then Martin, Stokes, JOB, Ricketts, Phillips, Cole, Burge, Lorentzon, Sambou will be retained. Henderson and Hunt will depend on the impact they have between now and the end of the season.
Fortune, Tudgay, Ramage, Kelly-Evans twins to be released.
Finch, C Thomas, Lawton depends on Mowbray's thinking and opinion of them as they have been injured for a long time.
Johnson will depend on whether Mowbray want to gamble on his fitness again, I suspect he will be let go and Mowbray will look to replace him with a player in a similar mould.
If we are promoted you can rip the above up as the majority of them wouldn't be up to the required standard

Winny the Bish

Hopefully, Lawton doesn't get released in the Summer. Feel like there would've been no need to sign Rose if he had managed to stay injury-free.

On the overall point: Obviously, we all would love to see us sign more exciting, promising players in transfers and on longer term deals. But we don't have the money to do it, so like most of the other teams in this League we have to settle for freebies, academy players and loanees. Praying that we invest the Maddison fee in transfers rather than more loans though.

Gazolba

<snip> Praying that we invest the Maddison fee in transfers rather than more loans though.

It will go toward players wages, not more transfers. What we need to do is to get rid of some of the non-performers to free up some money being needlessly spent.

Hobo

Any sensible two year plan is a two year rolling plan, which you assess every 12 months going into the next two years.

What you don't do is knee jerk after 8 months at the first sign at a dip in form after your back four has been decimated; yet you are still in the top five when the previous season you were relegation candidates.

Samo

Any sensible two year plan is a two year rolling plan, which you assess every 12 months going into the next two years.

What you don't do is knee jerk after 8 months at the first sign at a dip in form after your back four has been decimated; yet you are still in the top five when the previous season you were relegation candidates.

Who has knee jerked?

Samo

Samo there is a Mowbrey out thread, come on you are more a breast of things on here than that.

Oh right yeah... I thought you meant Mowbray! :D

simonregis

I said a few weeks ago I didn't think we are ready for promotion l was wrong because at this rate we will never be ready. Either going up or not we are going to be starting from scratch so I guess that is where the Maddison money comes in

Samo

That's him!

So you are not talking about the fans, you are talking about TM? Explain how he has knee jerked please.

Otis

I think perhaps I haven't made my stance clear. I did sort of mention in my posts, that it's not necessarily the fact it is 20 players out of contract, it is about having the key personnel in the core roles to build on.

What we need to be in place ideally is a good keeper, a solid centre back, midfield playmaker and a goalscorer. You then try and build around that.

If we still had Fleck for next season and Armstrong up front, I would not be at all so worried about all the others out of contract.

Think all teams look for that spine, keeper, centre back, midfield general, goalscorer.

Hobo

I wish he'd just fucking say so then, Jesus.

No Samo I made it clear it was fans with a Mowbrey out thread, you pick up on a typo and say Mobray then you try and twist it into I am blaming Mowbray for knee jerking?

I will spell it out S L O W L E Y the manager needs time, the fans should not K N E E J E R K

Otis

I see Paddy Madden is out of contract in the summer. The sort of striker we would want here perhaps?

Hobo

I think perhaps I haven't made my stance clear. I did sort of mention in my posts, that it's not necessarily the fact it is 20 players out of contract, it is about having the key personnel in the core roles to build on.

What we need to be in place ideally is a good keeper, a solid centre back, midfield playmaker and a goalscorer. You then try and build around that.

If we still had Fleck for next season and Armstrong up front, I would not be at all so worried about all the others out of contract.

Think all teams look for that spine, keeper, centre back, midfield general, goalscorer.
RCC is worth building around. Fleck despite the predictions isn't out the door yet. Vincelot, Stokes Lamieras .and Rose good acquisitions. I think Murphy might be available in the summer.....the striker is a problem but George Thomas and theother guy might develop.

For me, it is not just who we sign, some of our youngsters need to come through. I would give up on Phillips just yet. Some others like Martin and Willis are good squad players. I think we look better than we did at the end of last season... potentially.

skybluetony176

I see Paddy Madden is out of contract in the summer. The sort of striker we would want here perhaps?

I'd like to see him with us. A good player at this level and was a pivotal player in Yeovil's promotion season. Just the type of player you need to get out of this league.

Samo

No Samo I made it clear it was fans with a Mowbrey out thread, you pick up on a typo and say Mobray then you try and twist it into I am blaming Mowbray for knee jerking?

I will spell it out S L O W L E Y the manager needs time, the fans should not K N E E J E R K

Why are you being such a dick? I asked if you meant Mowbray and you replied 'that's him' - what the fuck was I supposed to think?

junglej13

I'm sure there is the option of a second year with Stokes. Although it could be a negotiation clause like we had with Reda... Which basically meant nothing.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm sure there is the option of a second year with Stokes. Although it could be a negotiation clause like we had with Reda... Which basically meant nothing.

The problem with Reda was likely the club wanted to renegotiate his terms to reflect his injury record, a clause for an extra year would have been at a specified salary.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Martin, Stokes, JOB, Lawton. Ricketts, , Kelly-Evans twins,, Fleck,, Henderson, Lorentzson, Sambou.

Out of that list probably keep those (Fleck will be gone if we don't go up I imagine & Henderson if we could keep on a ridiculously cheap deal if not he can go too)

AFCCOVENTRY

Most of hose out of contract players will good to clear out.

New contracts for Fleck, Martin, Stokes and the Dudley brothers.

Although I don't think Fleck will sign a new contract if we are not promoted.

I believe most of these players are now eligible to start pre-contract negotiations with any other club.

Captain Dart

How much did we pay for vincelot.
I thinking more if you sell someone for 2 million their replacement might cost 10-20% of that. Especially if the club is self funded prior to that sale.

The game being played is mainly about keeping track of players that are out of contract on short term deals. Lamerias, Rose & Lorenzen, Hunt & Ramage were all uncontracted when they moved were they not? Cole is different, jury still out on whether that is a good idea, don't think he will come good this season, in fact I think its more likely he will get seriously crocked towards the end of this season than have a brilliant 2016-17.

Sterling Archer

This happens every year and is the same for most lower league clubs. That's why "2-3 year plans" don't seem to work at this level, the player turnover is too frequent not just for starting elevens but for whole squads.

Always amazes me that clubs at this level offer managers 3-4 year contracts but only offer players 1-2 year contracts.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Most of hose out of contract players will good to clear out.

New contracts for Fleck, Martin, Stokes and the Dudley brothers.

Although I don't think Fleck will sign a new contract if we are not promoted.

I believe most of these players are now eligible to start pre-contract negotiations with any other club.

Only with clubs not in England

stupot07

Only with clubs not in England

Are you sure about that? I know what the FA rules say, but the Bosman rule is an EU law so would cover England too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Are you sure about that? I know what the FA rules say, but the Bosman rule is an EU law so would cover England too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I'm 99% sure yes, isn't the Bosman ruling just the right for a player to run down his contract and move on a free transfer at the end of his contract? Before clubs had to pay transfer fees for out of contract players. Not specifically to do with pre contract agreements or when they can be signed.

Its because it would be a massive conflict of interests if a player signed a pre contract agreement with another English club before the season has finished, more so if the clubs are also in the same division.

Users who are viewing this thread