We can sit behind the goal!! (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Would rather them open the South Stand for home and away fans. This will just make the atmosphere worse with potentially two standing/singing sections.

If we ever had demand to sell out each week, we would. No point doing it now when away fans will demand big numbers.

cc84cov

It will turn out to be shit. Think we all know it. Everyone banging on about moving seats when in reality you'll get a few hundred rattling around in there. Still think block by block selling creates the better atmosphere.

The club cocked up when we moved to the Ricoh by not stating that the people from the west terrace/ wanted to create an atmosphere should be behind the goal. Everyone ended up dispersed all over the place
Agree with this...maybe a point which could of been made to Boddy in the meets we’ve had

Saddlebrains

Netting off the top 10 rows or so, is really a no brainer. Minimal outlay, people get the option to chose stands and improved atmosphere. Can quickly be removed block by block, if demand calls for it.

Yep agreed

AOM

People might laugh at me but i thought we had some good atmospheres in a couple of L2 games.

Stevenage on a Friday night comes to mind. Think we won 3-1, but twist and shout went on for ages, even though we had really just the Tesco stand everyone was up and singing. Think there was only 6500 there too.

Feel keeping us all together really does improve the atmosphere, and can actually see this being a bad thing for noise generated at the Ricoh (covid permitting obviously)

Not sure if the same game, but there was another Friday night game at the Ricoh where it had been a bit of a heatwave that week and it was an almost festival atmosphere at the game.
Was really surreal, one of the best I'd seen there

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Would rather them open the South Stand for home and away fans. This will just make the atmosphere worse with potentially two standing/singing sections.

I’ve said this many a time. Middlesbrough, Leicester and Derby, all in similar bowl stadiums manage to do it so why can’t we put away fans in the corner-along to the side and move our singing section into the south stand? That’s the only way you’re going to get a consistent atmosphere at the Ricoh.
There’s still clear access into the car park and coaches for away fans and Home fans can exit from either side or walk around.
Realistically we are not going to fill the Ricoh most weeks and I think this would be a better use of the ground and reduce the costs of having to have the North stand open. That could just be for walk ups, families or the big games that wouldn’t contribute to the atmosphere anyway.

DannyThomas_1981

It will turn out to be shit. Think we all know it. Everyone banging on about moving seats when in reality you'll get a few hundred rattling around in there. Still think block by block selling creates the better atmosphere.

The club cocked up when we moved to the Ricoh by not stating that the people from the west terrace/ wanted to create an atmosphere should be behind the goal. Everyone ended up dispersed all over the place

I think that's right. I thought the atmosphere at St Andrew's was decent selling block by block.

Unpopular opinion but if we get 20,000+ crowds the Ricoh could be rocking if we go block by block.

I've never been one to get over nostalgic about HR either, the atmosphere in the 80s with crowds of 9,000 in the old 1st Division, hooligans going mental and police horses charging around outside like they were on acid - wasn't as great as some make it out to be.

Skybluefaz

I think that's right. I thought the atmosphere at St Andrew's was decent selling block by block.

Unpopular opinion but if we get 20,000+ crowds the Ricoh could be rocking if we go block by block.

I've never been one to get over nostalgic about HR either, the atmosphere in the 80s with crowds of 9,000 in the old 1st Division, hooligans going mental and police horses charging around outside like they were on acid - wasn't as great as some make it out to be.
In the current climate are clubs really going to pack fans in block by block? I'm not so sure that will be great for all supporters.

scottccfc

couldnt we put the away fans in singers corner still have the access to the coaches behind the stand after games!

thinking about moving mine and the lads season ticket to behind the goal :)

David O'Day

couldnt we put the away fans in singers corner still have the access to the coaches behind the stand after games!

thinking about moving mine and the lads season ticket to behind the goal :)
and destroy the main atmosphere generating part of the crowd?

scottccfc

Most won't though as they wanted to be close to the away fans. It seems it's no fun calling some a wanker when they can't see our hear you do it.
behind the goal where the away fans are now not the old telegraph stand, so your still right next to the away fans

David O'Day

behind the goal where the away fans are now not the old telegraph stand, so your still right next to the away fans
that doesnt work you need an exit from the stadium and if you have city fans either side of that corner there's no away exit that works,

fernandopartridge

that doesnt work you need an exit from the stadium and if you have city fans either side of that corner there's no away exit that works,

It worked OK when we played Crewe in the JPT, I was sat behind the goal next to the away fans. It works at just about every other ground in the league.

It's not as if this 'security arrangement' has stopped it going off a few times at the Ricoh, most recently v Sunderland.

The majority of the home crowd disperse towards Tesco and the south of the stadium. It would make far more sense for away fans to be made to cross the footbridge to the coaches rather than end up concertinaed with home fans towards that tunnel under the A444.

matesx

Highfield Rd were great days to me. Our true home.

Ricoh is a bland experience inside and surrounding area in comparison.

David O'Day

It worked OK when we played Crewe in the JPT, I was sat behind the goal next to the away fans. It works at just about every other ground in the league.

It's not as if this 'security arrangement' has stopped it going off a few times at the Ricoh, most recently v Sunderland.

The majority of the home crowd disperse towards Tesco and the south of the stadium. It would make far more sense for away fans to be made to cross the footbridge to the coaches rather than end up concertinaed with home fans towards that tunnel under the A444.

yeah but aren't they saying we should put the away fans in the corner where block 15 is and city fans in what was the tesco and jewson? The issue is the physical exit and entry to the ground? They would surely have to take away fans through a concourse that is used by city fans to get to the closest gates.

Another issue would be toilets etc

David O'Day

Highfield Rd were great days to me. Our true home.

Ricoh is a bland experience inside and surrounding area in comparison.

It was home but it was also bland as well inside.

Also the overhang from the west stand over the terrace did mute and muffle the noise sometimes

fernandopartridge

yeah but aren't they saying we should put the away fans in the corner where block 15 is and city fans in what was the tesco and jewson? The issue is the physical exit and entry to the ground? They would surely have to take away fans through a concourse that is used by city fans to get to the closest gates.

Agreed that doesn't make sense. They'll need to go in the corner closest to the West Strand.

I suppose the real issue is that the club wants the flexibility to offer an away team 6k tickets, and that completely closes off moving away fans or having City fans behind that goal.

David O'Day

Agreed that doesn't make sense. They'll need to go in the corner closest to the West Strand.

I suppose the real issue is that the club wants the flexibility to offer an away team 6k tickets, and that completely closes off moving away fans or having City fans behind that goal.

This is why the status quo will remain.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

They have pull down shutters that can be used to segregate the concourse section between any blocks and is needed for the safety certificate, same as every other bowl stadium. When we played Crewe in the JPT at the Ricoh, as the away demand was small and the home demand was massive, the away end shutters were shortened to accommodate 1500 away fans. From memory, home fans were up to block 9 and could use the concourse facilities up to the end of Block 9.

This argument that the away fans can’t be moved and toilets/concourse/exits etc is nonsense in my opinion. You would just adjust the shutters and barriers to move the away fans to the corner and they could still access the coaches and car park via the slope down.
The current format doesn’t avoid fans crossing directions in the car park anyway.

skybluesam66

last time we were in the championship they had a trial where they put the away fans in the corner, and let the home fans sit in what is now the away end
I quite often sat in that end , wasnt a problem then , so why now ?

pusbccfc

last time we were in the championship they had a trial where they put the away fans in the corner, and let the home fans sit in what is now the away end
I quite often sat in that end , wasnt a problem then , so why now ?

Because at that stage, 2006/7, we were still getting around 20k home fans most weeks.

The only possible way it could work is if they only sold matchday tickets rather than season tickets behind the goal. That way, in the handful of games where clubs bring 3k+, you could just stop selling tickets there or move fans who had bought in advance.

Then again, we'd have a stand empty in the North stand.

If I was in charge, I'd keep it the same, but open up just 2 blocks in the North Stand. Enough for the people who want to sit there, looks better on TV but doesn't mean we have a thousand or so scattered around an end holding 6000. Would also give the option for the club to open block by block in that end based on demand.

David O'Day

Unless Cov fans start turning up in numbers > 25k on a regular basis!

Anything
They have pull down shutters that can be used to segregate the concourse section between any blocks and is needed for the safety certificate, same as every other bowl stadium. When we played Crewe in the JPT at the Ricoh, as the away demand was small and the home demand was massive, the away end shutters were shortened to accommodate 1500 away fans. From memory, home fans were up to block 9 and could use the concourse facilities up to the end of Block 9.

This argument that the away fans can’t be moved and toilets/concourse/exits etc is nonsense in my opinion. You would just adjust the shutters and barriers to move the away fans to the corner and they could still access the coaches and car park via the slope down.
The current format doesn’t avoid fans crossing directions in the car park anyway.

But if you move the away fans to block 15 etc you can pull down the shutters if you want but the nearest gate is back up in the tesco stand which would mean you need to move away fans through a concourse that is used for home fans.

If you shutter off block 15 etc you sutter those fans off from any gates.

The Crewe JPT game has no baring as the Crewe fans were still in the away stand with access to the gates there. If you have away fans in what is singers corner and cove fans in both the tesco and the jewson they can not get out with out walking through a home concourse.

Users who are viewing this thread