WE CAN COME BACK - We've Done It Before (1 Viewer)

Small crumb of comfort SBT's.

On 25/11/61 CCFC lost at home to Kings Lynn (non league) in the 2nd round of the FA Cup - utter despondency - world at an end etc - pretty much like today really.

The club prior to this defeat was in turmoil anyway and a sea change of direction was urgently needed because the club was going nowhere.

Then we had a very astute chairman in Derek Robins, a local business man, who took one hell of a gamble by appointing an inexperienced ex young footballer called Jimmy Hill as the new manager just four days after the Kings Lynn debacle.

The Chairman and Manager didn't hang around - DR immediately pumped in £30,000 (current value £510,000) so that JH could purchase the following:

Terry Bly
Willie humphries
Hugh Barr
Jimmy Whitehouse
John Sillet
Bobby Laverick (only played 4 games)

Theses players and others enabled CCFC to finish 14th in the then 3rd Division and then mount an unbelievable charge up the leagues:

3rd Division: (61/62) - 14th of 24
3rd Division: (62/63) - 4th of 24
3rd Division: (63/64) - 1st of 24 and promotion to 2nd Division

2nd Division: (64/65) - 10th of 22
2nd Division: (65/66) - 3rd of 22
2nd Division; (66/67) - 1st of 22 and promotion to First Division/Premier League

So with a Jimmy Hill/Derek Robins type partnership with respect to ambition, drive and achievement maybe something similar could ensue but by the looks of the above us diehards are going to need a fair bit of patience - even JH couldn't reach the promised land overnight.

PUSB

Last edited:

Otis

Have we done it before though with no money, spiralling debts, all our best players sold and us not owning the ground and having owners that don't give two shits about us?

Otis

I know some people are optimistic about next season, but you can't count me amongst them.

I am very, very pessimistic about next season and can only see yet another relegation dogfight.

i have no idea where people have plucked this optimism from. Sisu sell and have continued to sell. Next season we are going to be even worse off. Why would anyone believe that any players are coming in at all?

Get rid of Sisu and my optimism will return. Until then I will continue to be the harbinger of doom and can only see an even worse season ahead of us than this one.

ccfcway

I know some people are optimistic about next season, but you can't count me amongst them.

I am very, very pessimistic about next season and can only see yet another relegation dogfight.

i have no idea where people have plucked this optimism from. Sisu sell and have continued to sell. Next season we are going to be even worse off. Why would anyone believe that any players are coming in at all?

Get rid of Sisu and my optimism will return. Until then I will continue to be the harbinger of doom and can only see an even worse season ahead of us than this one.

Never a truer word spoken

We are on a downward curve that can only go 2 ways with sisu, league two or liquidation

Moff

Would it make you feel better if I bought you the drink? ;)

AFCCOVENTRY

Then we had a very astute chairman in Derek Robins, a local business man, who took one hell of a gamble by appointing an inexperienced ex young footballer called Jimmy Hill as the new manager just four days after the Kings Lynn debacle.

PUSB

We don't have astute anything...

canleykid

We could be like Plymouth or luton but hopefully more like saints and norwich however I'd be happy doing a peterborough come back and be safe then build,it won't be easy I don't think in my honest opinion we will make the play offs I hope I'm wrong but were a bit weak and apart from platt we've no muscle

cloughie

On 25/11/61 CCFC lost at home to Kings Lynn (non league) in the 2nd round of the FA Cup - utter despondency - world at an end etc - pretty much like today really.

The club prior to this defeat was in turmoil anyway and a sea change of direction was urgently needed because the club was going nowhere.

The Chairman and Manager didn't hang around - DR immediately pumped in £30,000 (current value £510,000) so that JH could purchase the following:

Terry Bly
Willie humphries
Hugh Barr
Jimmy Whitehouse
John Sillet
Bobby Laverick (only played 4 games)

Theses players and others enabled CCFC to finish 14th in the then 3rd Division and then mount an unbelievable charge up the leagues:

3rd Division: (61/62) - 14th of 24
3rd Division: (62/63) - 4th of 24
3rd Division: (63/64) - 1st of 24 and promotion to 2nd Division

2nd Division: (64/65) - 10th of 22
2nd Division: (65/66) - 3rd of 22
2nd Division; (66/67) - 1st of 22 and promotion to First Division/Premier League

So with a Jimmy Hill/Derek Robins type partnership with respect to ambition, drive and achievement maybe something similar could ensue but by the looks of the above us diehards are going to need a fair bit of patience - even JH couldn't reach the promised land overnight.

PUSB
any hope or change to our fortunes can only happen with shitsu GONE

Tank Top

Otis, have a drink you sound like the harbinger of doom!
Moff, my dear chap..
I think otis is quite correct in what he's saying, In order to replicate our sixties rise to glory, we need a chairman with the passion, drive and determination, of Derick Robbins, who posessed a single minded desire, to see his beloved CCFC reach the top, in truth its going to take real money, and Manager and Chairman, working as a team, if we are to see another Rise from the ashes.Otis is not spreading gloom,merely letting his head, and not his heart form his opinions.
It must be clear to most, that if sisu, don't up their game plan, we will struggle in whatever league we find ourselves, nickles and dimes, will just not do.
It's Ironic that During Southamtons fall from grace
They rejected, a buy out offer from sisu,"not liking the cut of their Jib"and they came here instead, its interesting to compare the Health and status of the two clubs today, and come to the conclusion, that Southampton, made a good decision and CCFC a Bad one.
Have a nice day Moffy

patred

hope you don't mind a Saints fan putting his nose in, but it is often helpful taking an outside view.
First of all the game Saturday, you were in an invidious situation, it was the Saints day and anyone who had faced us was going to be steamrollered.
It didn't help that you had injuries to key players, a suspension to your captain, and little real experience on the pitch. And, even at the start you lost McSheffery, a player we were wary of.
Your managers tactics were strange, you were on the back foot, yes, but you defended too deep, and allowed Lambert and Lallana far too much freedom. Your manager made the mistake of trying to keep Lambert out wide, therefore minimising his goal threat.
Some other teams have as well, but they forget we have other goalscorers in our team, just look at the leading scorers list.
Another damning mark about your coaching staff, Coventry were the unfittest team I've seen at St Marys for a long time.. I saw you at Norwich last year and the difference in fittness and pace is alarming.
Now you are relegated..a harsh reality, yes.
But it is not the end for you, far from it, it is opportunity to rid yourselves of all the deadwood on and off the pitch.
Get a young and ambitious coaching staff in.. ambitious being the operative word.
Looking at your coaching staff Saturday, it looked like the cast of GRUMPY OLD MEN, and I am not an ageist, I'm nearly 70 myself.
Financial stability is a must, get this SISU lot out, don't matter how, it's worth it in the long term.
The one redeeming factor you have is that you a crop of potentially good young players, it will mean you have to be patient with them, but they will grow into men quick enough in Div One.
Patience, yes... Don't expect immediate promotion, we did, and came unstuck. There are some fairly decent sides in that division, and you have to be honest to compete with them, they won't give you a free ride. In fact being an ex premier side it could work against you. Every minnow will look at you as their cup final.
There are compensation, a new cup competition the JPT, and a Wembley day out if you get to the final. New grounds to experience, new challenges where your treatedd as top dogs.
It will be hard at times, and sacrifices will have to be made, but it will make coming back up even sweeter, and will instill a winning culture into your new team..

sorry if this seems stark or even harsh..I do wish you luck and I'm 100% confident you will return a far better club than the one we see today..

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
So where's all the money coming from to pay for this dream? New management? New players? New owners? New investment? I don't think so. Coventry have always been fighters when it came to survival, but that was when we were a half decent club. We now have kids playing for us (bless their little hearts), piss-poor decision-making manager, high rental ground, non-investment owners...... need I go on?

patred

So where's all the money coming from to pay for this dream? New management? New players? New owners? New investment? I don't think so. Coventry have always been fighters when it came to survival, but that was when we were a half decent club. We now have kids playing for us (bless their little hearts), piss-poor decision-making manager, high rental ground, non-investment owners...... need I go on?

A dream?
New management costs hardly anything, as long as you don't look at 'names'.
Adkins was not a name, but his ambition and drive has proved far better than our previous manager and at half the wage.
New players? don't need names again.. you have a half decent squad of youngsters, that many clubs would die for. As I said, with patience will grow, a few old heads in with them is all you'll need, and there is the loan system. Even there don't look at highly paid pro's who are looking for a pay day before retirement, there are plenty of experienced players in the lower leagues.. look there.
Investment is a thorny one, I admit. But for sure you don't need a hedge fund investor whose only thought is take out as much as he can.
It's easy for me to say when we were lucky to get the Liebheers on board.
But they only looked at the bright future of our academy, which you have.
Our new Stadium, which you have
Our fairly large fanbase which you have.
You like we, were/are a sleeping giant and don't forget that! you will attract some interest. Don't under estimate yourselves, even in your darkest days.
Look at our neighbours, and your fellow relegated club Portsmouth.. that is desperate despair..
I once had a conversation in Southampton with your ex manager Jimmy Hill whilst he was waiting for Tony Knapp to make his mind up whether to join you.. He said then that our two clubs seemed inexorably linked, he reckoned where we went Coventry followed, he was right then, and will be again..

Users who are viewing this thread