We’ll finish top twelve (1 Viewer)

Boicey

We’re rebuilding this season.

We’ll finish top half this season.

Genuinely happy to place a £25 charity bet against the first person to DM me.

We’re overreacting and overexpecting.
I think the main problem this season will be lack of goals. We won’t get many out of Wright, Simms so that leaves Godden, Allen? COH??
I’m not sure we’ll get rock solid at the back either. But Robins has lots of bodies so hopefully will gradually improve it there, if he decides what his best defenders are…..
Probably just a bottom half finish.

napolimp

I know it won't happen for a while, but when MVE, Sheaf, Callum, and now Jamie Allen are in the team it's half a new team of better players. Need to be patient now this season and see what we are like in the second half.

Sheaf, O'hare (playing as before), and a decent ball-playing deep lying midfielder, actually sounds like a great midfield TBF. So basically one good signing away.

Boicey

Sheaf, O'hare (playing as before), and a decent ball-playing deep lying midfielder, actually sounds like a great midfield TBF. So basically one good signing away.
I mean ‘great’ is pushing it. Sheaf (and MVE for that matter) played in very average performances again Sunderland and Swansea.
Masses of expectation on COH.

napolimp

I mean ‘great’ is pushing it. Sheaf (and MVE for that matter) played in very average performances again Sunderland and Swansea.
Masses of expectation on COH.

Right, but Sheaf's stats speak for themselves, and he is a top quality midfielder in this division. Pairing him with a CDM who can play in transition and pick a pass (not saying easy to find), with O'hare at 10, and rotational options from Eccles, Kelly, Allen, Palmer, Ayari, and Sakamoto, sound like a good situation to me.

Of course, at the moment, we don't have a single one of the desired players available in those positions, it's a makeshift midfield.

JulianDarbyFTW

Pretty sure (as in, I'm not really sure) but don't we always play better / get more points in the second half of the season under MR?

StrettoBoy

We’ll finish top half this season.

I think that's about right. I have previously predicted on this forum that we will finish between 11th and 14th i.e. in one of the 4 positions in the middle of the table.

Whatever our final position, I'm sure we will neither be troubled by relegation worries nor pushing for the play-offs.

We may well be pushing for the play-offs next year, aided by the fact that given the likely promotion candidates from the Championship and relegated tems from the Premiership it will be a weaker division next year.

Boicey

Right, but Sheaf's stats speak for themselves, and he is a top quality midfielder in this division. Pairing him with a CDM who can play in transition and pick a pass (not saying easy to find), with O'hare at 10, and rotational options from Eccles, Kelly, Allen, Palmer, Ayari, and Sakamoto, sound like a good situation to me.

Of course, at the moment, we don't have a single one of the desired players available in those positions, it's a makeshift midfield.
I dont think Sheaf is currently a 'top quality' championship midfielder. He has potential but isn't there.
Having said that he's the best we have and him, Allen and COH gives us a bit of much needed hope.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You don't have to be a very good team to finish 12th.
But right now I'd take that.

napolimp

Been mulling our current predicament over in my head all day. I think when you actually step back and take a unbiased view, we are at the start of a rebuilding phase - whether we like it or not. Our preferred starting line-up - GK aside - has basically retained Sheaf, Fadz, possibly Eccles, Godden at the moment because of form, from last season. And even with Fadz it could be said that this is the start of him being phased out and he's also going to be replaced. Even O'hare coming back is still like basically having a new player.

Expectations amongst fans are built on the end of last season, but that's just not realistic. We aren't building on last season, we are dropping back down to first gear and going again. Robins has had to do it multiple times, and it's always been tough at the beginning. So, as OP said, yes rebuilding season but could well end up around mid-table. The one thing which bothers me at the moment, which I think can be improved short term, is a seemingly lack of belief amongst the squad. Want to see a bit more passion and fight on the pitch, especially when trying to see out a game.

Martin180

Been mulling our current predicament over in my head all day. I think when you actually step back and take a unbiased view, we are at the start of a rebuilding phase - whether we like it or not. Our preferred starting line-up - GK aside - has basically retained Sheaf, Fadz, possibly Eccles, Godden at the moment because of form, from last season. And even with Fadz it could be said that this is the start of him being phased out and he's also going to be replaced. Even O'hare coming back is still like basically having a new player.

Expectations amongst fans are built on the end of last season, but that's just not realistic. We aren't building on last season, we are dropping back down to first gear and going again. Robins has had to do it multiple times, and it's always been tough at the beginning. So, as OP said, yes rebuilding season but could well end up around mid-table. The one thing which bothers me at the moment, which I think can be improved short term, is a seemingly lack of belief amongst the squad. Want to see a bit more passion and fight on the pitch, especially when trying to see out a game.
Great post 👏
Long term view is needed

Grendel

We must be the only club that spends more in the summer than it has for nearly 30 years and have an expectation we are going to finish a mid table side behind teams who have spent far far less

Skyblueweeman

We must be the only club that spends more in the summer than it has for nearly 30 years and have an expectation we are going to finish a mid table side behind teams who have spent far far less
The impact of losing your two best players and a combined 50 goals/assists, obviously tempers the money spent, regardless of how it's spent.

Grendel

The impact of losing your two best players and a combined 50 goals/assists, obviously tempers the money spent, regardless of how it's spent.

The club have record season ticket sales and they expect a good season. The reaction last night will get far worse if results remain the same - the notion fans will just idly sit by is just not in the real world. We have spent far more money on these players than the ones sold.

We have spent more on the defence that I can ever remember - and its leaking goals badly

SkyBlueSam01

It really baffles me that so many of our fans haven't learnt the value of patience and composure in the last few years when it has been so central to everything Robins has achieved.

We sign players with the right attitudes because it allows the club to develop over a long period. We could sign mercenaries that will instantly perform and not devlop or buy into the project, but that isn't what has brought us success in the last half a decade or so.

Robins has surely earned our faith and sticking with the team in this transition period is going to be so important for the future of the club.

There are so many questions to ask atm but Robins will have answers and I trust they are the right ones.

Skyblueweeman

The club have record season ticket sales and they expect a good season. The reaction last night will get far worse if results remain the same - the notion fans will just idly sit by is just not in the real world. We have spent far more money on these players than the ones sold.

We have spent more on the defence that I can ever remember - and its leaking goals badly
I know we all 'expect' a good season but the league doesn't work on expectation - or necessarily correlate with the money the ST sales bring in.

I don't disagree that many will get annoyed but actualities need to be tempered by realism.

And I'm not sure how you say we've spent more on these players than the ones sold...Gus and Gyo were what, a combined £36m (at a rough guess). We've not spent £36m.

And as for a defence 'leaking goals badly'. A little hyperbolic. There's only 9 teams with better defensive records than us. We're top 10 defensively in the league - must mean there's 14 teams really, really leaking goals badly??

Grendel

I know we all 'expect' a good season but the league doesn't work on expectation - or necessarily correlate with the money the ST sales bring in.

I don't disagree that many will get annoyed but actualities need to be tempered by realism.

And I'm not sure how you say we've spent more on these players than the ones sold...Gus and Gyo were what, a combined £36m (at a rough guess). We've not spent £36m.

And as for a defence 'leaking goals badly'. A little hyperbolic. There's only 9 teams with better defensive records than us. We're top 10 defensively in the league - must mean there's 14 teams really, really leaking goals badly??

We’ve spent £10 million on our defence and received nothing in transfer fees so I assume you agree it should be infinitely better than last season

Frankly given the money we have spent already I’d be very concerned allowing this management team to spend any more until it demonstrates some competency

Skyblueweeman

We’ve spent £10 million on our defence and received nothing in transfer fees so I assume you agree it should be infinitely better than last season

Frankly given the money we have spent already I’d be very concerned allowing this management team to spend any more until it demonstrates some competency
It should be yes, but we're 8 games into a 46 game season.

SonofErnie

Surely you have to look at the value of the loan players we released? Doyle, McNally and Norton-Cuffy would cost upwards of £15m.

fernandopartridge

In fairness though G it's only part of the picture, and the bigger picture is that we've taken out 30+ goals and 20+ assists from last season's team, that is massive and when similar happened previously we've been relegated!

Even in 2000 when we got relegated from the PL, we spent £10m+ (£18m in today's money) but we'd lost our two top scorers and top assist maker from the prior season.

Grendel

Surely you have to look at the value of the loan players we released? Doyle, McNally and Norton-Cuffy would cost upwards of £15m.

Doyle would the other two most certainly wouldn’t. Are you saying Norton Cuffey is better then MVE? McNally wouldn’t be worth anymore then we paid for Kitching in the transfer market.

Matt smith

It really baffles me that so many of our fans haven't learnt the value of patience and composure in the last few years when it has been so central to everything Robins has achieved.

We sign players with the right attitudes because it allows the club to develop over a long period. We could sign mercenaries that will instantly perform and not devlop or buy into the project, but that isn't what has brought us success in the last half a decade or so.

Robins has surely earned our faith and sticking with the team in this transition period is going to be so important for the future of the club.

There are so many questions to ask atm but Robins will have answers and I trust they are the right ones.
Sounds from what’s been said on here we’ve actually signed players with the wrong attitude

Macca

Not sure anyone in their right mind thinks we will match anything like last year. The key for me as a fan is to be entertained. I’d rather finish 16th and have some exciting football than 10th watching ponderous sideways football

SonofErnie

Doyle would the other two most certainly wouldn’t. Are you saying Norton Cuffey is better then MVE? McNally wouldn’t be worth anymore then we paid for Kitching in the transfer market.
[/QUOTE

I was talking in total. £2m for Norton Cuffy, similar for McNally and £10-12m for Doyle

robbiekeane

We’ve spend 20million quid. It’s hardly “storm the championship” money is it.

If we finished mid table and then got playoffs next year I’d say that’s a pretty good result given all of our signings are on longer term contracts.

Still, always the chance it won’t workout and robins will get fired and then you can say I told you so because you’ve called for his head every year so bound to be right at some point

StrettoBoy

I still have faith in MR and think we should stick with him, given that he has achieved something approaching a miracle in recent years.

Although I rate him highly he's not God and as a human being he, like the rest of us, will make the odd mistake.

We need to be careful of what we wish for and changing managers doesn't always achieve the desired result.

Martin180

I still have faith in MR and think we should stick with him, given that he has achieved something approaching a miracle in recent years.

Although I rate him highly he's not God and as a human being he, like the rest of us, will make the odd mistake.

We need to be careful of what we wish for and changing managers doesn't always achieve the desired result.
Was with Huddersfield fans watching the game the other night and they warned of exactly the same .

CovLad94

If MR can turn things around last season the way he did with some awful players (Kane, Walker, Waghorn) I'm sure he can do it again this season, only so long we can get away with it though, need to start better rather than playing catch up all the time. Don't think we'll get playoffs this year imo, but top half I'll be happy with. Clear some of these players need time to settle, Hadji for example looks a bit lost atm, clearly a player there just lacks confidence big time either that or he isn't focused.

Users who are viewing this thread