Wasps want to play on Saturdays... (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

The move was temporary as that was all the FL granted permission for. The club had to agree a return to the 'Coventry area'. If they didn't the golden share could be revoked.

If the club do ever build a new stadium it won't be in the city unless CCC rewrite the city plan. CCC have already confirmed to the CT that there is no possible site for a stadium within the city boundary.

Frankly I have zero issues if Fisher says a new stadium is being built somewhere like Ansty Park, the other side of the motorway from the Ricoh, Brandon, Warwick Uni, the airport, Ryton or any other site relatively close to the city. If he announced we were doing something similar to Wasps and moving 100 miles away it would be very different.

The move to Northampton was granted by the FL was temporary, yes. I'm not disputing that. What I'm disputing is the suggestion that the move out of Coventry wasn't promoted as a permanent one. Like you have pointed out, there is no 60 acre sight available in the City so if we had have stayed at Northampton until SISU built us a new stadium then the move away from the City would be permanent. Nobody from the club or SISU ever sold it as a temporary move so anyone conveniently trying to use that as an excuse for going to Northampton is talking bollocks.

For the record. As a lifetime resident of Rugby I will take a bet now that the only site in the borough that would ever get considered for a 60 acre development that SISU is proposing is at the Rugby Radio station site. It's the only piece of green belt in the borough that could accommodate SISU's plans that's earmarked for development. That's not "just the other side" of the border or motorway and if we'd all attended Northampton we'd have given the FL the reason to approve it.

skybluetony176

Where was it confirmed we were going to play after Northampton?

Not in Coventry. As you well know. It started as 8miles from the council house and quickly moved to 10 maybe 12 but if an ideal site becomes available that's a mile or two further that would have been acceptable (to SISU).

Nick

Administrator
Not in Coventry. As you well know. It started as 8miles from the council house and quickly moved to 10 maybe 12 but if an ideal site becomes available that's a mile or two further that would have been acceptable (to SISU).
So where exactly? You don't know do you?

If and when that announcement had come I'd have judged the location and decided if that was acceptable to me or not like I will if the new stadium was ever to happen.

If they had started building in brum I'd be done

skybluetony176

So where exactly? You don't know do you?

If and when that announcement had come I'd have judged the location and decided if that was acceptable to me or not like I will if the new stadium was ever to happen.

If they had started building in brum I'd be done

See my reply to cheif and read his post. We can say for sure it wasn't going to be in the City of Coventry. So that only tells you we weren't coming home and the move was sold as permanent.

I'll throw that question back at you. Where in exactly Coventry was it going to be? Were SISU even going to consider a site in Coventry?

Nick

Administrator
See my reply to cheif and read his post. We can say for sure it wasn't going to be in the City of Coventry. So that only tells you we weren't coming home and the move was sold as permanent.

I'll throw that question back at you. Where in exactly Coventry was it going to be? Were SISU even going to consider a site in Coventry?
I don't know, nothing was confirmed was it? That's the point I could have judged for myself the location and whether it was acceptable to me or not.

Obviously we can't say for sure, as it didn't happen did it?

It doesn't change that it was temporary, wasps isn't. That is the difference, if we moved 80 miles full time then of course I'd be done. The same as if it was ever confirmed we were moving to Kettering full time.

skybluetony176

I don't know, nothing was confirmed was it? That's the point I could have judged for myself the location and whether it was acceptable to me or not.

It doesn't change that it was temporary, wasps isn't. That is the difference, if we moved 80 miles full time then of course I'd be done. The same as if it was ever confirmed we were moving to Kettering full time.

We're STILL being told that the new stadium won't be in Coventry. We also know that they have spoken to RBC not CCC. The move to our new ground is STILL being sold as a permanent one away from the City. The only difference NOW is that we're temporarily playing in Coventry not Northampton. So (and this is pretty easy to grasp) at the time you were attending Northampton the move was being sold as permanent. Indeed we even started this season at Northampton so for you to say you always knew the move was temporary is spurious bullshit.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
We're STILL being told that the new stadium won't be in Coventry. We also know that they have spoken to RBC not CCC. The move to our new ground is STILL being sold as a permanent one. The only difference NOW is that we're temporarily playing in Coventry not Northampton. So (and this is pretty easy to grasp) at the time you were attending Northampton the move was being sold as permanent. Indeed we even started this season at Northampton so for you to say you always knew the move was temporary is spurious bullshit.

I didn't know the move was always going to be temporary, but at the time I was attending it was. It could have changed, if it did then I would have re-assessed it.

Does this mean the new stadium is fact now then? If or when the new stadium happens then I see where it is, what the circumstances are and judge if it is acceptable to me.

It really isn't that hard to understand is it? Not too sure why you don't want to accept that our move was different to Wasps.

chiefdave

What I'm disputing is the suggestion that the move out of Coventry wasn't promoted as a permanent one. Like you have pointed out, there is no 60 acre sight available in the City so if we had have stayed at Northampton until SISU built us a new stadium then the move away from the City would be permanent.

To start with for your argument to hold up you have to believe SISU are building a new stadium, how many people genuinely think that is going to happen? Maybe a handful now but at the time our moving to Northampton meant an empty Ricoh. I think you would struggle to find someone who didn't think the move was part of a plan to get the Ricoh. Don't think anyway was seriously thinking the council and Higgs, who were constantly telling us what a disgrace it was to move a club away from their community, were about to drop in a rugby team from London.

Secondly you're talking about a move out of the city as equatable with Wasps moving from London, its not even remotely the same thing. A move outside the city could literally mean moving the other side of an arbitrary boundary. As has been mentioned before boundaries have been known to move so having that binary perception of being Coventry City or not seems strange to me. As many said at the time if and when a new site was announced they would make a decision based on the location rather than a line someone once drew on a map.

oldfiver

No surprise really how fast Wasps have gone back on their word. When they arrived they said they would be playing on Sundays so as not to impact on CRFC. Now it's 'minimise' the impact of CRFC whatever the hell that means. Probably means CRFC have to move their games if they clash.

CRFC have little say in the fixture dates except in exceptional circumstances - WASPS playing will not be one of them

martcov

Whatever...., fact is we have made zero progress on a new stadium. There is no site available in Coventry. Beyond 3 years we don't have a groundshare in Coventry confirmed - we are at Wasps' mercy.
So, we are by no means back in Coventry and if Wasps knock us back we are permanently out of Coventry. TF may yet be right that we will never play in Cov again ( after 3 years ). I am not interested in the morals of franchising or hedge funds. It is all about our survival - morals are a luxury to be discussed later. As far as hedge funds go, I would prefer one with a Premier League stadium in Coventry as our owners.

Nick

Administrator
Whatever...., fact is we have made zero progress on a new stadium. There is no site available in Coventry. Beyond 3 years we don't have a groundshare in Coventry confirmed - we are at Wasps' mercy.
So, we are by no means back in Coventry and if Wasps knock us back we are permanently out of Coventry. TF may yet be right that we will never play in Cov again ( after 3 years ). I am not interested in the morals of franchising or hedge funds. It is all about our survival - morals are a luxury to be discussed later. As far as hedge funds go, I would prefer one with a Premier League stadium in Coventry as our owners.

So if we need to move outside of Coventry to survive then what is the problem?

martcov

So if we need to move outside of Coventry to survive then what is the problem?

It doesn't fulfill my criteria for survival - unless we build a Stadium which could support a Premier League side i.e. 30000 + capacity with a station linked to Coventry and very near to Coventry. Without a decent sized Stadium we are condemned to the lower leagues.

skybluetony176

Yes, I did know it was temporary at the time. That's why I said while it's temporary I'd go, the moment it's not I wouldn't.

It's really not hard to grasp.

I didn't know the move was always going to be temporary, but at the time I was attending it was. It could have changed, if it did then I would have re-assessed it.

Does this mean the new stadium is fact now then? If or when the new stadium happens then I see where it is, what the circumstances are and judge if it is acceptable to me.

It really isn't that hard to understand is it? Not too sure why you don't want to accept that our move was different to Wasps.

Apparently it is that hard to understand. You did know the move was temporary and now apparently you didn't.

Nick

Administrator
Apparently it is that hard to understand. You did know the move was temporary and now apparently you didn't.

I knew at the time I was attending it was temporary, hence at the time my view was that while it was temporary I would go and if that ever changed it wouldn't be.

Knowing it was temporary at the time means at that time, at the time I was going to games. Hence I said the moment it wasn't temporary I wouldn't go, meaning things could have changed.

Again, it really isn't hard to understand at all.

skybluetony176

To start with for your argument to hold up you have to believe SISU are building a new stadium, how many people genuinely think that is going to happen? Maybe a handful now but at the time our moving to Northampton meant an empty Ricoh. I think you would struggle to find someone who didn't think the move was part of a plan to get the Ricoh. Don't think anyway was seriously thinking the council and Higgs, who were constantly telling us what a disgrace it was to move a club away from their community, were about to drop in a rugby team from London.

Secondly you're talking about a move out of the city as equatable with Wasps moving from London, its not even remotely the same thing. A move outside the city could literally mean moving the other side of an arbitrary boundary. As has been mentioned before boundaries have been known to move so having that binary perception of being Coventry City or not seems strange to me. As many said at the time if and when a new site was announced they would make a decision based on the location rather than a line someone once drew on a map.

As I've already said in this thread. What I believe is of no consequence to what the people running our club were saying and whether I believed them or not to attend Northampton was a gamble that they were bullshitting. A gamble some were willing to take and I like the majority wasn't.

Moff

As I've already said in this thread. What I believe is of no consequence to what the people running our club were saying and whether I believed them or not to attend Northampton was a gamble that they were bullshitting. A gamble some were willing to take and I like the majority wasn't.

I must be mistaken I thought this was in the Wasps sub forum, and is about Wasps playing on Saturdays, not about how many people (me included) didnt go to Northampton.

Perhaps we can move onto why Highfield Road was sold next in the discussion, and then the League Cup Semi Final of 81, then Clarrie Bourton super striker and so on........

MichaelCCFC

I must be mistaken I thought this was in the Wasps sub forum, and is about Wasps playing on Saturdays, not about how many people (me included) didnt go to Northampton.

Perhaps we can move onto why Highfield Road was sold next in the discussion, and then the League Cup Semi Final of 81, then Clarrie Bourton super striker and so on........

The sixfields/wasps arguments have been repeated so often it might save a lot of time if there was just a sticky that listed them e.g. temporary/nomadic; just wanted to support my team/just want to watch top flight rugby etc etc

Moff

The sixfields/wasps arguments have been repeated so often it might save a lot of time if there was just a sticky that listed them e.g. temporary/nomadic; just wanted to support my team/just want to watch top flight rugby etc etc

Whilst I can understand discussion on CCFC's future ground situation, that is more suited to the CCFC forum isnt it, not Wasps?

Sixfields was done dusted and discussed, and picked to pieces time and time again, yet it appears to be being thrown in again, but what is the relevance to the discussion of Wasps playing on a saturday?

The Wasps discussions are relevant, its a Wasps discussion thread, they want to play on a saturday which may have an affect on CRFC and CCFC fixtures and they are our landlords, and whatever, whenever there will always be people like myself who disgaree with them being in the city and how they ended up here. That surely is relevant on a Wasps discussion board?

skybluetony176

That many threads on the CCFC main forum get diverted onto Wasps I just thought I'd play the same game on the Wasps sub forum. I like this game. I think I'll come on the Wasps sub forum and do it more often.

wingy

Whatever genious they employ who came up with this Idea will be down the Jobcentre next
What an arrogant, Overconfident move by them
The accident of Sunday games IMO gave them a huge leg up Spectator and TV exposure wise
The future of CCFC and more Importantly The Original Rugby team In the City are Safe
with acumen on a scale such as this

NorthernWisdom

Whatever genious they employ who came up with this Idea will be down the Jobcentre next
What an arrogant, Overconfident move by them
The accident of Sunday games IMO gave them a huge leg up Spectator and TV exposure wise
The future of CCFC and more Importantly The Original Rugby team In the City are Safe
with acumen on a scale such as this

Intheknow, intheknow! Do you know if they consulted CRFC or not?

I need to know!

Rusty Trombone

No consultation.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-rfc-chairman-says-werent-9076482

The chairman of Coventry RFC says the club were “surprised” to hear that Wasps planned to play some home fixtures on the Saturday.

Jon Sharp says the Butts Park Arena outfit had been told their new neighbours would play their home games on a Sunday for the whole of next season.

Wasps RFC now say that they want to play some games on a Saturday as they continue to establish themselves in Coventry following their move from Wycombe.

Mr Sharp says Coventry RFC weren’t consulted over the change.

“We were just phoned up and told,” he said. “If they want to play on Saturdays then commercially that’s a decision for them.

“I think it would make sense for us to work together to avoid any potential fixture clashes.

“It’s going to be a mammoth task involving the FA and the RFU representing two teams.

“It’s going to be difficult to achieve and I don’t know whether it will be possible.”

A crowd of nearly 2,000 roared Coventry RFC to a comprehensive victory against Blackheath in their final home game of the season on Saturday.

Matt Jones try. Coventry RFC vs Blackheath, Butts Park Arena, Coventry.
With just a trip to second place Rosslyn Park to come Coventry sit third in the table.

Mr Sharp said: “Yesterday was another amazing day.

“It was a record attendance – we just keep breaking records and that’s fine with me.”

He added that if Wasps do start playing on Saturday it would force some die-hard fans to choose between their local clubs and top-flight rugby.

“For me personally I would watch Cov on a Saturday and Wasps on a Sunday,” he said.

“If you support Cov Rugby then there’s every chance you follow someone like Broadstreet, Earlsdon or Old Wheats.

“You cannot do both so die hard fans will have to make a choice.

“Maybe that’s not their target audience anyway, maybe it’s the people who want razzmatazz and that sort of thing.

“Good luck to them though.”

Mr Sharp said that despite talks between the two clubs no firm arrangements have been put in place regarding their future relationships.

He said: “Take Coventry’s relationship with Broadstreet for example.

“It’s brilliant. We use their training facilities and provide them with some coaching and players.

“It helped them get promoted. It works well for us. If a player is injured, comes back and gets gym fit but not match fit they can go to Broadstreet and get some game time.

“We have talked to Wasps about that sort of thing but it hasn’t happened yet.

“Maybe it’s because their academy is still based elsewhere.

“Wasps have to do what they have to do, as do Coventry RFC. We are ploughing our own furrow.”

Users who are viewing this thread