Wasps want to play on Saturdays... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It was fact it was temporary, temporary agreement with Northampton and fl. It was never announced as a full time relocation.

It was only ever opinion we were never coming back. If it was fact it was full time I'd never have gone, as I said at the time that things would be different if the announcement it was no longer temporary came.

Ian1779

No point retreading all ground, but did any of us trust the FL? Honestly? I remember so many of us saying that they would bend the rules at a whim and many of us had absolutley no faith in their promises whatsoever.

How is it about trusting the FL? CCFC left Coventry for 1 year. It was never a permanent move... not in the eyes of the FL, and evidently it never happened. The club were even told that the golden share was at risk of being revoked if they did not comply.

Doesn't exactly point towards franchise football does it?

Otis

I didn't go to Sixfields as I felt going would endorse the move however it is crazy to suggest it was ever going to be a permanent move. It was temporary if there was a new stadium and temporary if there wasn't. If they were going to franchise the team its not going to be to Northampton is it?!?

Nope it wouldn't have been.

I personally think it would have been 3-5 years at Northampton and then Sisu would have stated that Coventry City Council would not grant planning permission in the Coventry area and that they would then seek another groundshare and the FL would have have just shrugged their shoulders about the whole thing.

Nick

Administrator

I personally think it would have been 3-5 years at Northampton and then Sisu would have stated that Coventry City Council would not grant planning permission in the Coventry area and that they would then seek another groundshare and the FL would have have just shrugged their shoulders about the whole thing.
Personally think being the key word though :) it was only opinion it was permanent.

Otis

How is it about trusting the FL? CCFC left Coventry for 1 year. It was never a permanent move... not in the eyes of the FL, and evidently it never happened. The club were even told that the golden share was at risk of being revoked if they did not comply.

Doesn't exactly point towards franchise football does it?

Nope. I for one have never said it was a franchise, us going to Sixfields.

For me it just felt permanent and with Sisu's words I believed we would be away for a long, long time, wherever that would be.

I don't think for a minute that Sisu wanted to franchise us.

Ian1779

That never happened.

How can it be used as an argument to say that we were a franchise club?

Otis

Personally think being the key word though :)

Absolutely, Nick.

I can only tell you how I felt. I was against us going to Sixfields and am against Wasps being here.

Don't know why I sometimes get labelled by a small minority as being an apologist. I was awaiting Cov's protest and I would have been totally onboard with that had it happened.

I'm still puzzled as to why it didn't.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sixfields was never going to permanent, in what world does it make sense to permanently move to a location where only 1-2k turn up?

Otis

Sixfields was never going to permanent, in what world does it make sense to permanently move to a location where only 1-2k turn up?

I can only suggest Sisu World!!

God knows why TF came out saying he thought we would be getting 7,000 there. It was never going to happen.

Ian1779

God knows why TF came out saying he thought we would be getting 7,000 there. It was never going to happen.

No we never were going to get that. Saying that we have seen the impact that poor performance on attendances. If we had maintained our early season form and had been in the play-offs last season... would we have seen 4/5K at Sixfields in the final part of the season (plus a thousand on the hill)?

torchomatic

Thing is, people never wanted them to have the stadium even before the Northampton disaster so many have got what they want. A club with no chance EVER of owning the ground that was built for them.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Absolutely, Nick.

I can only tell you how I felt. I was against us going to Sixfields and am against Wasps being here.

Don't know why I sometimes get labelled by a small minority as being an apologist. I was awaiting Cov's protest and I would have been totally onboard with that had it happened.

I'm still puzzled as to why it didn't.

You sometimes say weird things like you believe Wasps should change the colour of the seating, then cite the new stadium as the reason yet you've just said you don't think it is happening.

Then when I said by changing the seating you risk upsetting some of there new fan base (and target fan base) as they have a lot of new fans from Coventry and will almost certainly have had some sort of affiliation with Coventry City over the last 5 years (and certainly more than they had Wasps). You said I was talking nonsense.

italiahorse

I'm afraid as far as Wasps are concerned the likes of you and Italia sound like Neville Chamberlain waving a piece of paper and declaring "peace in our time". They want us out and they really don't care if they trample over a little Rugby club either

... and the likes of you and a few more just rant and rave with no facts other than a rumour.
You must have time on your hands.
I guess Wasps will be one weekend and CRFC and CCFC the other.

torchomatic

They said it was never going to happen though, didn't they? Lucas said Wasps coming here wouldn't affect us or the rugby club?

They're liars then, aren't they? Like Fisher?

... and the likes of you and a few more just rant and rave with no facts other than a rumour.
You must have time on your hands.
I guess Wasps will be one weekend and CRFC and CCFC the other.

italiahorse

The move was a 'permanent' move from the Ricoh with no plans whatsoever to return other than a promise to build a proven fictional stadium.

Ian1779

The move was a 'permanent' move from the Ricoh with no plans whatsoever to return other than a promise to build a proven fictional stadium.

A permanent move away from the Ricoh is significantly different to a permanent move away from Coventry isn't it.

italiahorse

They said it was never going to happen though, didn't they? Lucas said Wasps coming here wouldn't affect us or the rugby club?

They're liars then, aren't they? Like Fisher?

Hark at you raving.
If Wasps are one Saturday and CRFC and CCFC are the following, whats the difference ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

That is what they wanted you to believe, that they had no intention of returning to the Ricoh (unless owners). Seems you lapped it up and are an easy target to be fed bullshit from several parties.

italiahorse

That is what they wanted you to believe, that they had no intention of returning to the Ricoh (unless owners). Seems you lapped it up and are an easy target to be fed bullshit from several parties.

I always knew they would be back. The talk of no return to the Ricoh was quoted from TF.

Grendel

Hark at you raving.
If Wasps are one Saturday and CRFC and CCFC are the following, whats the difference ?

Have you read Wasps statement also why earlier in the thread did you say they will more than likely clash?

Are you paid by Wasps in some way?

hutch1972

Slightly unfair that, as I have spoken to a few life long Cov fans over the past few months and they have all told me that Cov would never ever been a Premiership league club anyway.

That's what they said about them great historical clubs like Exeter and Worcester.

Grendel

Where did I say Wasps and CCFC/CRFC would more than likely clash ?

You said that they would play at different times - when stupot rebuffed they you moved the goalposts again.

Face it your having a nightmare on here.

chiefdave

Common sense.

It would be common sense however how often do regulatory authorities in charge of sport exhibit any common sense?

We know that the rugby premiership is prepared to schedule around the PL and FL. We know this as it is a requirement of the PL and FL for clubs to have primacy so its the only way groundshares are possible and there are several clubs who make use of this.

Can't think of any example of the same applying with Premiership and National League sides. I suspect the Wasps fixtures will be set first and Coventry will be left with the job of trying to get fixtures moved they clash. If those in charge are prepared to schedule to avoid clashes you can be sure it would have been mentioned rather than a vague promise to minimise the impact.

cloughie

When the our deal is finished does anyone actually think the club will still have priority on fixtures?

The club have been tossed aside into the flowing rapids here

So who made the agreement of priority or not ........SISU

chiefdave

So who made the agreement of priority or not ........SISU

There may or may not be a clause regarding primacy in the short term agreement. If there's not it wouldn't be a huge surprise as we weren't expecting a rugby club from London to suddenly appear. CCC made assurances about this so you would think they ensured it was agreed with Wasps although from the way the whole deal has been done I would not be surprised if it was a handshake deal and nothing enforceable is actually in place.

Clashes between Wasps and the football club won't be a problem. FL regulations say we need primacy, the rugby premiership is used to scheduling around football. Can't see that being a problem, the bigger problem is for CRFC when fixtures clash, something Wasps and CCC told everyone wouldn't happen as Wasps would play on Sundays to avoid any chance of clashing.

Users who are viewing this thread