Wasps want to play on Saturdays... (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Why I am naive?

Cov fans on the whole I would assume are loyal to Cov and wouldn't go and watch Wasps anyway. Wasps bosses must know this anyway.

There are some Cov fans though that do go to both. Best solution all round is for Wasps not to impinge upon Cov Rugby. The more Wasps annoy City and Cov Rugby, the more resentment they are going to get.

For instance, if Wasps said they were going to kick City out of the Ricoh, then there would be protests a plenty and calls to boycott etc. Wasps would be pretty stupid to set out to destroy Cov Rugby, but enticing all their fans away.

I think you are very naive. These people moved the club 85 miles away at no notice with zero regard for the existing fan base.

The move itself means CRFC will NEVER get to be a Premier Rugby club -- then they would be rivals.

Wasps want to maximise shareholder values. CRFC are an irrelevance to them. Its like saying a Tescos superstore opened in a small town and it would show concern for the corner shop that always served the local community.

If they kicked the football club out they would use the media to ensure it was all the clubs fault -- "yes we really value CCFC but we had to increase the rental agreement as the prior agreement is a loss maker and our shareholders will not, however hard we have tried, be prepared to accept the losses this is incurring. Its with a heavy heart...."

Yes you are very naive.

MichaelCCFC

No point going all over old ground, Nick, but the club quite clearly said they had no intention of coming back to the City and next to none of us believed they would ever build a new stadium.

Sounded pretty permanent to an awful lot of City fans I can tell you.

Not going to keep banging on about the past though, it's pointless. All I can say categorically, is the way I felt and it all felt very permanent to me and that was because of the words coming out of the club about no return to the Ricoh. That boat had sailed.

No new stadium, meant permanent ground share in that circumstance.

Otis is right - weren't there statements about that ship has sailed, the club has moved on etc?

Grendel

By "franchise", I mean a club that plays away from the home of its title ie Coventry City playing at a ground outside of Coventry. Is that enough of an explanation for you? None of us knew at the time whether that was temporary or permanent.

Well we do as the Football League has stated it had to be temporary. Its a lame and lazy argument you are deploying here and its fooling only yourself. The club had not relocated to Northampton.

As you are so anti franchise I assume you are truly disgusted that the council have allowed Wasps here?

Good to see.

Otis

I think you are very naive. These people moved the club 85 miles away at no notice with zero regard for the existing fan base.

The move itself means CRFC will NEVER get to be a Premier Rugby club -- then they would be rivals.

Wasps want to maximise shareholder values. CRFC are an irrelevance to them. Its like saying a Tescos superstore opened in a small town and it would show concern for the corner shop that always served the local community.

If they kicked the football club out they would use the media to ensure it was all the clubs fault -- "yes we really value CCFC but we had to increase the rental agreement as the prior agreement is a loss maker and our shareholders will not, however hard we have tried, be prepared to accept the losses this is incurring. Its with a heavy heart...."

Yes you are very naive.

Slightly unfair that, as I have spoken to a few life long Cov fans over the past few months and they have all told me that Cov would never ever been a Premiership league club anyway.

torchomatic

Frying pan and fire though, eh? A franchise that doesn't give a fuck about its fans, just money. I could be describing either, couldn't I?

I find it amazing that people like you who hate Shitzu (cracks me up every time that) and all they stand for would quite happily be taken over by someone just as bad with just as little thought for their fans.

Maybe I am in a minority here but I strongly believe that Wasps would buy CCFC given the opportunity at a REASONABLE PRICE and all of this is aimed at just that end. Just my opinion.

Nick

Administrator
By "franchise", I mean a club that plays away from the home of its title ie Coventry City playing at a ground outside of Coventry. Is that enough of an explanation for you? None of us knew at the time whether that was temporary or permanent.
The fact it was a temporary move and agreement sort of said it was temporary. If it was announced as a full time move ie like wasps then it would be different.

Otis

Otis is right - weren't there statements about that ship has sailed, the club has moved on etc?

This was one of the main reasons I totally refused to attend Sixifields.

If they weren't coming back to the Ricoh and weren't building a new stadium, then how is that not permanent? Might not have been permanent at Sixifields, but it would have just been a ground share elsewhere.

Nick

Administrator
Was it confirmed as a complete relocation like it has been with wasps?

I thought the club only told lies to fans, why is Fisher suddenly the Oracle of truth?

lewys33

Slightly unfair that, as I have spoken to a few life long Cov fans over the past few months and they have all told me that Cov would never ever been a Premiership league club anyway.

They are clearly stuck in the Andrew Green and Keith Fairbrother days. The club is slowly making progress and moving back up. Now there is a limit.

Tonylinc

The fact it was a temporary move and agreement sort of said it was temporary. If it was announced as a full time move ie like wasps then it would be different.
Excuse me Nick but as far as we knew it was much more than "temporary" Have you forgotten all the talk of the mythical new stadium?

lewys33

Christ I want to like all of Grendel and Torch's comments. I really am on the dark side now!

Anyway - you can't claim Fisher is full of lies one time and quote him as fact another?!

Ian1779

If they weren't coming back to the Ricoh and weren't building a new stadium, then how is that not permanent? Might not have been permanent at Sixifields, but it would have just been a ground share elsewhere.

The statements said that the coming back to the Ricoh was not going to happen, and at that point they said a new stadium was going to happen. That was the proviso the FL agreed to (and a supposed £1m bond). It's only being dismissed now as 2 years down the line we've seen nothing. You're kind of combining 2 arguments from different periods of time.

lewys33

...and the Keith Fairbrother days saw them a playoff game away from a place in the top flight.

Unfortunately he was another owner who was only interested in the pound signs. Bit of an unpopular opinion but you only have to look at the deal to Andrew Green surrounding the club and the BPA to see through it.

torchomatic

Of course it's nonsense.

Coventry City never have been, and never will be a franchise club. To suggest or pretend otherwise is nonsense.

Wasps are a franchise club now.... huge difference.

Nick

Administrator
Excuse me Nick but as far as we knew it was much more than "temporary" Have you forgotten all the talk of the mythical new stadium?
The arrangement was temporary, I haven't forgotten the talk of the new stadium. Do people suddenly believe it when it suits?

NorthernWisdom

Unfortunately he was another owner who was only interested in the pound signs. Bit of an unpopular opinion but you only have to look at the deal to Andrew Green surrounding the club and the BPA to see through it.

Indeed. And also his desire to buy out Bedford's league place.

But... it's not that many years since Rob Hardwick and co were a game away from the top flight!

lewys33

Indeed. And also his desire to buy out Bedford's league place.

But... it's not that many years since Rob Hardwick and co were a game away from the top flight!

Indeed, although that is before my time ;) I started going up from 2000/01 I believe. Watching Zinzan Brooke is a memory I will never forget.

torchomatic

Ah, the old flip-flop routine. I will believe Fisher when it suits (we will never come back), even though it was stated it was for three years (maybe five) and then they would come back to the "Coventry area". New stadium?Nah, won't believe that one.

Coventry City were NEVER going to stay at Sixfields permanently. Wasps have moved permanently. There is absolutely ZERO correlation between the City and Wasps situations.

torchomatic

Yes they do. The arrangement was always temporary.

The arrangement was temporary, I haven't forgotten the talk of the new stadium. Do people suddenly believe it when it suits?

NorthernWisdom

Indeed, although that is before my time ;) I started going up from 2000/01 I believe.

Now I feel old :(

The only reason CRFC have 'never' been close to the top flight is a desire of the top flight owners to make up a closed shop cartel... and the fact one of its current owners prefers to deal in non franchising franchising, rather than buy the club in the area and build it up to success. Still, it's OK, in 2010 he wasn’t sure he would be staying in the UK... but it's all stable now!

chiefdave

No surprise really how fast Wasps have gone back on their word. When they arrived they said they would be playing on Sundays so as not to impact on CRFC. Now it's 'minimise' the impact of CRFC whatever the hell that means. Probably means CRFC have to move their games if they clash.

Of course everyone will lap it up and there will certainly be no blame on Wasps if it has a negative impact on CRFC.

lewys33

No surprise really how fast Wasps have gone back on their word. When they arrived they said they would be playing on Sundays so as not to impact on CRFC. Now it's 'minimise' the impact of CRFC whatever the hell that means. Probably means CRFC have to move their games if they clash.

Of course everyone will lap it up and there will certainly be no blame on Wasps if it has a negative impact on CRFC.

People aren't awake to the fact that this is just the start.

Grendel

I'm afraid as far as Wasps are concerned the likes of you and Italia sound like Neville Chamberlain waving a piece of paper and declaring "peace in our time". They want us out and they really don't care if they trample over a little Rugby club either

Otis

The statements said that the coming back to the Ricoh was not going to happen, and at that point they said a new stadium was going to happen. That was the proviso the FL agreed to (and a supposed £1m bond). It's only being dismissed now as 2 years down the line we've seen nothing. You're kind of combining 2 arguments from different periods of time.

Sorry, but that is absolute tosh.

I didn't believe a new stadium was going to be built then, just as I don't believe it is going to be built now.

torchomatic

We're in big, big trouble then. I cant see a future at the Ricoh with Wasps.

I didn't believe a new stadium was going to be built then, just as I don't believe it is going to be built now.

Otis

I'm afraid as far as Wasps are concerned the likes of you and Italia sound like Neville Chamberlain waving a piece of paper and declaring "peace in our time". They want us out and they really don't care if they trample over a little Rugby club either

Sorry, completely wrong.

I don't know why you would say that. I have always been against Wasps coming here. I have never wanted Wasps here.

If you are so convinced they want us out, Grendel, start a protest. If you can get people believing that is the case then boycotts and protests can start taking place and I will gladly join in.

To compare my stance to that of Chamberlain is laughable. I have never wanted Wasps here.

What have you done yourself to protest about Wasps? Aren't you just as much Neville Chamberlain too?

Last edited:

Otis

We're in big, big trouble then. I cant see a future at the Ricoh with Wasps.

Well, I get that. It's all we've got though. No new stadium, stuck at the Ricoh. We have to make the best of what we've got, however unpalatable that sounds.

Ian1779

Whether you believe it or not, your decision not to go was your choice. But the fact is that when the club was granted the move to Northampton - it told the FL that they would return to Coventry and build a new stadium. It was never permanent in the eyes of the FL.. the ones who made the decision to allow us to go.

torchomatic

That's right. We were told three years, maybe five. Weird that Otis has "forgotten".

Whether you believe it or not, your decision not to go was your choice. But the fact is that when the club was granted the move to Northampton - it told the FL that they would return to Coventry and build a new stadium. It was never permanent in the eyes of the FL.. the ones who made the decision to allow us to go.

Otis

No point retreading all ground, but did any of us trust the FL? Honestly? I remember so many of us saying that they would bend the rules at a whim and many of us had absolutley no faith in their promises whatsoever.

chiefdave

I didn't go to Sixfields as I felt going would endorse the move however it is crazy to suggest it was ever going to be a permanent move. It was temporary if there was a new stadium and temporary if there wasn't. If they were going to franchise the team its not going to be to Northampton is it?!?

Otis

That's right. We were told three years, maybe five. Weird that Otis has "forgotten".

See my post below yours, Torch.

I didn't believe the FL's words and was convinced that nothing would be done about our plight, no matter how many years down the line it was.

I haven't forgotten anything, To me they were just empty words and promises and I simply didn't believe a word of it.

Users who are viewing this thread