Wasps receive approval to build at Higgs centre (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
The pre read material is surely CA's email? Does he seriously expect commitments before they've sat down and discussed the finer detail?
It isn't a commitment saying what they can offer is it? The commitment is when contracts are signed

Nick

Administrator
Before the wasps stuff came out, weren't csf saying "our door is open" in the telegraph but had given the club "notice"?

skybluetony176

Before the wasps stuff came out, weren't csf saying "our door is open" in the telegraph but had given the club "notice"?

They had a pre arranged meeting. I would say that their door is open. It's CA who isn't willing to go through it at this point in time.

Nick

Administrator
Then CA insisting on it before meeting is pointless. It means nothing according to you so why wouldn't he attend the meeting?
It's not a commitment to say we would move in, but if he thinks they can't offer anything they are doing it to try and spin things like they did with the ricoh talks and "legal noise".

They just put in writing what they can offer, it's not a contract saying we will be there for 100 years.

Nick

Administrator
They had a pre arranged meeting. I would say that their door is open. It's CA who isn't willing to go through it at this point in time.
I was talking before the wasps stuff came out.

Surely people can see that pr is at play? Do we really actually think wasps want to help our academy? It's probably to stop people having attitudes like yours when you said to boycott them.

He wants the basics in writing, but nobody thinks it is strange they won't.

Otis

Bottom line is it is totally unprofessional to not turn up to a meeting, especially one such as this when it is a meeting between parties that is very relevant and holds great importance to the future of the club you represent.

skybluetony176

Bottom line is it is totally unprofessional to not turn up to a meeting, especially one such as this when it is a meeting between parties that is very relevant and holds great importance to the future of the club you represent.

That is indeed the bottom line.

If CA has given up on the academy because he didn't get a reply to an email then I don't think it's wrong to ask how committed was he to the academy in the first place.

Orca

As pointed out by @armybike in my twitter discussion with Les Reid, even he thinks it could end up in court. The unfortunate thing is there is no planning reason for the application to be rejected. Lots of emotional reasons, yes but in terms of planning law alone, no. Les suggested that material economic reasons and the wider public interest could be used by the Cllrs to stop or at least form the basis for a court challenge.

Sad thing is, in economic terms, one party has offered to invest £7m, the other party, £0. I don't like it, but the best deal for the city of Coventry is the Wasps one. It's shafting CCFC but in my opinion, they've brought it on themselves.

There probably is room for all parties to co-exist and sitting down to throw around a few ideas about how it might work should be the sensible first step in moving towards something formal. Having responded to many competitive tenders in my professional career, if the first interaction you have with the party tendering is the formal notice to respond, you've got precious little chance of getting the outcome that you want. IMO, Wasps are getting what they want because they're prepared to do the ground work prior to the formal stages of anything. A meeting here, a lunch there and a discussion off the record over a couple of pints is the way relationships in business are built. SISU and the CCFC board appear to have not grasped this in any stage of their dealings with the City of Coventry and the parties in play here. "We batter people in court" is not the way to build trust.

This sad state of affairs, which I'm far from happy about, has at its heart a corporation who have buggered it up. Even Joy admitted they wouldn't do it again.

Grendel

Grendel

Not if it is just a PR sideshow to say "hey we tried but they did not want to play ball"

Grendel

As pointed out by @armybike in my twitter discussion with Les Reid, even he thinks it could end up in court. The unfortunate thing is there is no planning reason for the application to be rejected. Lots of emotional reasons, yes but in terms of planning law alone, no. Les suggested that material economic reasons and the wider public interest could be used by the Cllrs to stop or at least form the basis for a court challenge.

Sad thing is, in economic terms, one party has offered to invest £7m, the other party, £0. I don't like it, but the best deal for the city of Coventry is the Wasps one. It's shafting CCFC but in my opinion, they've brought it on themselves.

There probably is room for all parties to co-exist and sitting down to throw around a few ideas about how it might work should be the sensible first step in moving towards something formal. Having responded to many competitive tenders in my professional career, if the first interaction you have with the party tendering is the formal notice to respond, you've got precious little chance of getting the outcome that you want. IMO, Wasps are getting what they want because they're prepared to do the ground work prior to the formal stages of anything. A meeting here, a lunch there and a discussion off the record over a couple of pints is the way relationships in business are built. SISU and the CCFC board appear to have not grasped this in any stage of their dealings with the City of Coventry and the parties in play here. "We batter people in court" is not the way to build trust.

This sad state of affairs, which I'm far from happy about, has at its heart a corporation who have buggered it up. Even Joy admitted they wouldn't do it again.

Have Wasps confirmed they are investing £7 million?

chiefdave

There is also a reason they won't put it in writing also isn't there?
That's what worries me. There has to be a reason they are refusing to reply to Anderson. Paul Breed from CSF confirmed on 1st June he had received the correspondence from Anderson. 8 weeks on and they still haven't replied.
There's no reason for not attending a meeting in person though.
Personally I think he should have gone but if I try and look at it from his viewpoint I can see why he didn't. He was in talks with CSF, those talks stopped and then days later it turned out they had been doing a deal with Wasps. He then asked for details of what facilities would be available to the club and CSF have, to date, refused to answer.
A meeting could very well help, equally it could be used to spin things.
Given that CSF and Wasps both stated in the CT that they didn't think the academy would be able to stay once Wasps plans were completed and that they only agreed to meet once that was met with negativity and talk of protests I can see it being a concern that its a PR exercise to get the Trust and others onside.

Nick

Administrator
That's what worries me. There has to be a reason they are refusing to reply to Anderson. Paul Breed from CSF confirmed on 1st June he had received the correspondence from Anderson. 8 weeks on and they still haven't replied.

Personally I think he should have gone but if I try and look at it from his viewpoint I can see why he didn't. He was in talks with CSF, those talks stopped and then days later it turned out they had been doing a deal with Wasps. He then asked for details of what facilities would be available to the club and CSF have, to date, refused to answer.
A meeting could very well help, equally it could be used to spin things.
Given that CSF and Wasps both stated in the CT that they didn't think the academy would be able to stay once Wasps plans were completed and that they only agreed to meet once that was met with negativity and talk of protests I can see it being a concern that its a PR exercise to get the Trust and others onside.
Pretty much, it's to stop any negativity towards them. Look how well it has worked on here....

Tony's thread is a good example.

Grendel

The problem is people on here have frequently said the only reason talks have broken down are due to legal action pending which needs to be dropped. This came from one statement from a Wasps employee at the meeting. Anderson said at the meeting the same representative said it was not an issue

Many on here take as gospel what the Wasps representative said so they will again. Which means there probably is no offer at all and never will be but it can easily be claimed so after the event

Grendel

They were looking for someone else to pay the £7m weren't they?

Thats what I thought - and if that is not forthcoming I am sure the Council pool development will be able to assist.........

Orca

Grendel

Nick

Administrator
The problem is people on here have frequently said the only reason talks have broken down are due to legal action pending which needs to be dropped. This came from one statement from a Wasps employee at the meeting. Anderson said at the meeting the same representative said it was not an issue

Many on here take as gospel what the Wasps representative said so they will again. Which means there probably is no offer at all and never will be but it can easily be claimed so after the event
It's so easy, " sisus fault".

They led the trust up the path again. The minute they get some negative feeling the trust get a meeting and come out telling everybody the world is saved.

Orca

So if they don't finance it through sponsorship - who pays?
I don't know, I don't care and I don't know why it's relevant. The article I just linked you to does say they have a £12.3m cash balance, but I really don't care past that.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
One thing that to some degree surprises me is the lack of legal action over something that is apparently so vital. That is the usual recourse of the CCFC owners. Perhaps it is just a matter of time?. Perhaps that is the reason no one is talking?. Not sure who or on what grounds SISU or CCFC could sue mind? Not sure there is any legal obligation to offer CCFC a new deal on the cessation of the old user agreement. So long as CSF provide facilities of adequate standard until June 2017 they have not I would guess broken the contract

Grendel

I don't know, I don't care and I don't know why it's relevant. The article I just linked you to does say they have a £12.3m cash balance, but I really don't care past that.

So if the Council say incorporated it into their overall development project that would mean they haven't spent anything more than CCFC doesn't it?

Orca

So if the Council say incorporated it into their overall development project that would mean they haven't spent anything more than CCFC doesn't it?
I think that's unlikely, but given your bias, I'm sure it's the first and only thing that came to mind for you.

Captain Dart

One thing that to some degree surprises me is the lack of legal action over something that is apparently so vital. That is the usual recourse of the CCFC owners. Perhaps it is just a matter of time?. Perhaps that is the reason no one is talking?. Not sure who or on what grounds SISU or CCFC could sue mind? Not sure there is any legal obligation to offer CCFC a new deal on the cessation of the old user agreement. So long as CSF provide facilities of adequate standard until June 2017 they have not I would guess broken the contract

Which shows the folly of CCFC not committing to a longer term deal.
They got taken to the cleaners again.
This is repeated serial failure to care for the club.
SISU are not suitable guardians of the club.

Nick

Administrator
Which shows the folly of CCFC not committing to a longer term deal.
They got taken to the cleaners again.
This is repeated serial failure to care for the club.
SISU are not suitable guardians of the club.
Which longer deal? Have csf said they would have committed to ccfc long term?

Captain Dart

Which longer deal? Have csf said they would have committed to ccfc long term?
Not recently, when they moved back after being told to by the FA.

RegTheDonk

So what happens if, for example, Jones is brilliant, scores regularly, and terrorises the opposition defence. He's a star and consequently helps shoot us up to the top of the league and we get regular gates over 20,000. Way above what we are led to believe as break even point.

Then someone comes in and offers us £1M for Jones...and SISU cash in. Whos fault would that be?

wingy

Looks like the article linked in this thread could be the Preamble.

Grendel

Of someone else's money... Not theirs.

The myth that Wasps invest in the City is bollocks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the main sponsors are the City of Rugby initiative. £7 million is a huge figure. They can't even get a sponsor for the stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread