Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (8 Viewers)

Sky Blue Dal

Based on what? Based on the countless times I've said I would be opposed to it? :thinking about:

I would only approve if it benefitted all parties. Have made that crystal clear, you WUM! :whistle::slap:;)

Give it up mate.. you won't be able to get through to them. To many fanatic Sky Blue fans here thinking with there hearts and not there heads.

Lets concentrate on when SISU are going to build there new tin pot stadium and where. As Fisher say's they need to own there own stadium.. so do its hopefully either offer ACL the asking price and gazump the WASPS or start building.

The ball is in SISU's court.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Absolutely, I'm on the wrong forum, if not. I don't give a fuck about ACL and whether these plans make "good business sense".

To many fanatic Sky Blue fans here thinking with there hearts and not there head.

duffer

Just to be clear about the Wasps that are (perhaps) proposing to relocate to the Ricoh - this is Wasps RFC and that club has been in existence for less than 20 years. They have never had a settled home where they could build up a loyal and local fan base. They have this year dropped the London prefix.

The original club, Wasps FC, is still playing amateur rugby.

In fairness I think it's worth pointing out that Wasps have been a West London club since the 1920's. When rugby went professional the pro outfit moved to Loftus Road, in 2002 they moved to Wycombe.

I'd dispute the fact that this is a nomadic club without a defined fanbase, their attendances would suggest that isn't true. Perhaps more importantly, if you read their forums (e.g. http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s96.htm?98,14903253,page=1) then a straw poll would suggest that most of their fans still see them as West London club and are dead set against moving to Coventry.

Regardless of the impact to either Coventry RFC or CCFC, to me it's unacceptable to enable their owners to move the club to the Ricoh. If the game had proper governance it simply wouldn't be allowed to happen.

I said exactly the same about Cardoza at NTFC fwiw; just because moving a team makes someone a few bob, it doesn't make it right.

Otis

It is nothing to do with council love it is to do with looking at things objectively, looking at the real problems our club faces. Otis is right SISU have squandered 11 good years of opportunity to buy into the Ricoh by dicking everyone around.
They are still adamant the return to the Ricoh is fairly short term, they are building their own stadium. This problem has always been driven largely by SISU.

Ahh, I see where this has come from now. Lol.

That post 'no-one else to blame' is just me copying and pasting the CT's article. None of it is my own work! :laugh:

torchomatic

Be careful. The Telegraph will be signing you up to their "rehash old bollocks" journalism.

Ahh, I see where this has come from now. Lol.

That post 'no-one else to blame' is just me copying and pasting the CT's article. None of it is my own work! :laugh:

Astute

Even if it means CCFC staying at the Ricoh to our benefit and Cov rugby are totally onboard with it?

Seriously?

Seriously yes I wouldn't be happy.

Only fisher has ever said that there is not a deal to be done. Only fisher keeps going on about a new stadium. Only someone who is blind and deaf could say that there has never been a deal to be had. We all know it would be cheaper to sort something out at the Ricoh. It should have been done by now. What has stopped it has been utter greed. And the one thing that I don't understand is when people make excuses up for SISU trying to blame others for our predicament. Yes I understand that all sides are to blame in some way. But where would we be now if SISU would have paid the 5.5m to get Higgs out of the picture?

I am also unhappy that we have been messed about so much. It is an absolute joke. And being a tenant of an egg chasing club would be a piss take too much. The Ricoh was built for CCFC and not for egg chasers. Maybe nobody saw all the crap that would follow. But I have had enough of all sides playing with our heads. We were once a proud club. Now it is joke after joke.

Evo1883

I would feel extremely uncomfortable being happy about this what with our situation over the last year or so and the feeling and support shown to our supporters from other fans around the country .
it stinks to be honest

Astute

Trouble is, no-one has said what Torch has put.

And as has been said numerous times on this thread, it is Sisu who are saying they are not staying at the Ricoh and are moving elsewhere. That totally moves the goalposts on this issue.

No-one has said it's okay for Wasps to come here, all they have said is they can understand why ACL would be looking for a replacement for CCFC if they insist on leaving.

Can't see anyone being a council lover on this one I'm afraid. A lot of spin doctoring going on here me thinks.

Absolute spot on Otis.

Many of us have said about Fisher needing to shut up. All we have is a two year deal and Fisher saying that they will build and leave the Ricoh. What is so hard to understand about this? If the person who is saying all of this crap is also the person who is supposed to be in charge of our club are ACL supposed to take him seriously? Are they supposed to wait until they have an empty playing pitch again?

I will say it again. Fisher needs to shut his gob. Otherwise he will only have himself to blame if it happens. And the only happy people will be the owners of the egg chasing club.

covcity4life

if were talking good business then sisu got ccfc out of a terrible extortionate rent deal and here we are back at ricoh on minimal rent.

not bad....not bad at all.

olderskyblue

What if the deal with Wasps is worth less than the previous offer from SISU?

What if the deal with wasps was the only way ACL/CCC could come up with a deal that SISU would agree? :whistle:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The common thread is that we're in the hands of two companies whose interest is their own profit not the team and fans. So whether it's moving to ntfc or bringing in a new anchor tenant, it's about company profits not what is best for the team and fans. The only people who are going to fight this is fans - we've learnt the hard way to expect nothing from the football authorities and govt. In the short-term we should be saying to acl-sisu to stop this nonsense about building a new stadium/getting a new tenant, show respect for SP, the team and fans, and start the slow process of building a successful future for ccfc which will benefit acl and sisu. The first way of doing that would be for acl-sisu to make a joint public statement saying they will work together and that they will not pursue a new stadium/new tenant

Explain why ACL has " to show respect for SP, the team and fans, and start the slow process of building a successful future for ccfc which will benefit acl and sisu." . Other than a day rent supplier/ client relationship contract with CCFC what responsibility do ACL, legal, moral or otherwise have towards SP, team, fans or establishing a successful CCFC. Is that not the over riding responsibility of the owners of the club who are supposed to be its custodians. You are right ACL are in it for ACL not some altruistic moral stance on behalf of the fans ...... as a business should they be otherwise?

The effect of the dispute hasn't just been felt by the fans. There has been a tangible effect on the business operations of ACL. It has sharpened it up it has focussed the business on money, targets, risk and not being beholden to any one client or tenant. Made what was perceived by some to be an extension of CCC act like a proper business...... something some have harangued it for not being.

I think the fans are learning the consequences of what went on ....... some of it they really are not going to like, and have no control or influence over. Like it or not CCFC has been downgraded presently at the Ricoh to "just another client" ...... that is a sad consequence of a once bright but now broken future.

Last edited:

covcity4life

explain why acl has " to show respect for sp, the team and fans, and start the slow process of building a successful future for ccfc which will benefit acl and sisu." . Other than a day rent supplier/ client relationship contract with ccfc what responsibility do acl, legal, moral or otherwise have towards sp, team, fans or establishing a successful ccfc. You are right they are in it for acl not some altruistic moral stance on behalf of the fans ...... As a business should they be otherwise?

The effect of the dispute hasn't just been felt by the fans. There has been a tangible effect on the business operations of acl. It has sharpened it up it has focussed the business on money, targets, risk and not being beholden to any one client or tenant.

I think the fans are learning the consequences of what went on ....... Some of it they really are not going to like, and have no control or influence over. Like it or not ccfc has been downgraded presently at the ricoh to "just another client" ...... That is a sad consequence of a once bright but now broken future.

we love you acl we do!!!!!!!

torchomatic

It's not the opposition, it's the blatant hypocrisy of some on here, despite denials from Otis. Fans were rightly up in arms with CCFC moving to Northampton. Yet, with the proposition of a London based team moving up to Coventry and swallowing up Cov Rugby Club we get the "well poor little ACL need to do something after all it's all CCFCs fault". Yes, it is CCFCs fault, but this really could scupper any chance of the team I support owning the Ricoh.

It's alright saying "well if people don't mind it would be OK", but of course people will mind. I would imagine Cov Rugby fans would mind and I would imagine fans of Wasps probably don't want to travel all the way to the Midlands to see their team. Christ, we were posting begging letters on forums asking for people to sign our petition yet some on here throw the "it's only business" line around which apparently makes it OK. It's not.

Whether it's the fault of JS, TF, AL, ACL, CCFC, SISU or bloody ABC I couldn't care. They need to sort it. Allowing franchise rugby in Coventry would be a mistake.

Torch, are you ok? The way I read this thread is there is 100% opposition to the wasps idea and it's a real opportunity for some fan unity and to move on

Evo1883

Explain why ACL has " to show respect for SP, the team and fans, and start the slow process of building a successful future for ccfc which will benefit acl and sisu." . Other than a day rent supplier/ client relationship contract with CCFC what responsibility do ACL, legal, moral or otherwise have towards SP, team, fans or establishing a successful CCFC. Is that not the over riding responsibility of the owners of the club who are supposed to be its custodians. You are right ACL are in it for ACL not some altruistic moral stance on behalf of the fans ...... as a business should they be otherwise?

The effect of the dispute hasn't just been felt by the fans. There has been a tangible effect on the business operations of ACL. It has sharpened it up it has focussed the business on money, targets, risk and not being beholden to any one client or tenant.

I think the fans are learning the consequences of what went on ....... some of it they really are not going to like, and have no control or influence over. Like it or not CCFC has been downgraded presently at the Ricoh to "just another client" ...... that is a sad consequence of a once bright but now broken future.

I would say that ACL and the council owe it to the city of coventry and its people as taxpayers that have part funded the future of the companies residing there ,to have a say on wether we want another cities club be it football or rugby playing in and owning a stadium in the city of coventry

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

we love you acl we do!!!!!!!

You really are a
th

Sky Blue Dal

Absolutely, I'm on the wrong forum, if not. I don't give a fuck about ACL and whether these plans make "good business sense".

I had a feeling you would respond to that.

unlike yourself, I have to admit I am not that much of a fanatic Sky blue fan but to be honest am just a simple Sky Blue fan who has followed City for 30 years can see where the cause of this problem started and what the outcome from that problem has resulted in and there is only one party to blame.

As soon as SISU took us out of Coventry, the mess spiralled out of control and now the owners have realised that they may have cut of there nose to spite there face.

I see it for what it is, one MASSIVE cock up by our beloved owners but no one else.

Evo1883

unlike yourself, I have to admit I am not that much of a fanatic Sky blue fan but to be honest am just a simple Sky Blue fan who has followed City for 30 years can see where the cause of this problem started and what the outcome from that problem has resulted in and there is only one party to blame.

As soon as SISU took us out of Coventry, the mess spiralled out of control and now the owners have realised that they may have cut of there nose to spite there face.

I see it for what it is, oen big cock up by our beloved owners and no one else.

Love or hate sisu , the mess at coventry started long before they arrived

Ian1779

I hope to God that ACL sell up to Wasps - it will serve SISU right and probably see them off for good. CCFC under new owners can always buy a share back of Wasps in the future. Priority is getting rid of SISU so it this helps, it has to be a good thing.

You're delusional if you think it would make SISU leave. It would make their stay even longer.

Clearly you put your hatred for SISU above your love for CCFC.

Monners

if were talking good business then sisu got ccfc out of a terrible extortionate rent deal and here we are back at ricoh on minimal rent.

not bad....not bad at all.

Through fair means or foul they have. So the next step for them should be....... a share in ACL/Ricoh (yeh)

Ian1779

I see it for what it is, one MASSIVE cock up by our beloved owners but no one else.

The only thing it goes to show is that a club not owning or at least controlling it's own stadium has no long term future. That occurred long before SISU's arrival.

I would be far more interested to know if ACL/CCC are prepared to offer SISU the same deal at the same price? After all that would make far better 'business sense'

MichaelCCFC

The effect of the dispute hasn't just been felt by the fans. There has been a tangible effect on the business operations of ACL. It has sharpened it up it has focussed the business on money, targets, risk and not being beholden to any one client or tenant. Made what was perceived by some to be an extension of CCC act like a proper business...... something some have harangued it for not being.

That sets out acl's perspective which I understand, just as you rightly identified a long time before most people that sisu were trying to distress acl and I understood what sisu were trying to do with the rent strike and moving to ntfc. The point is I'm a fan and what I want is the interests of the team and fans to come first. So whether it's acl or sisu, I understand their perspective but if they act in a way that is potentially detrimental to the team and fans I'll oppose it and fight to change things ie i fought against sisu's business interests in moving to ntfc and if acl try to progress the wasps idea I'll fight that too because my interest is the team and fans not acl or sisu. You are a great bloke OSB and your knowledge of ccfc's finances is unparalleled but what is critical here is whose interests you put first - sisu, acl, ccc, FL or fans

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I would say that ACL and the council owe it to the city of coventry and its people as taxpayers that have part funded the future of the companies residing there ,to have a say on wether we want another cities club be it football or rugby playing in and owning a stadium in the city of coventry

Perhaps CCC. But other teams have played home games here before without such a need. It isn't about ownership of the stadium though its ownership of the management company. The taxpayer through CCC will still own the Ricoh.

CC4L - I don't want Wasps here any more than you, I am just explaining how ACL would likely argue it if it happens. This was and is so un-necessary, it just didn't need to happen, but as I pointed several times before the connection to the stadium except for a couple of badges and fans hopes was broken when they moved to Sixfields - that always was going to have consequences. I was very concerned for the club then and none of the recent revelations has lessened that concern

Otis

It's not the opposition, it's the blatant hypocrisy of some on here, despite denials from Otis. Fans were rightly up in arms with CCFC moving to Northampton. Yet, with the proposition of a London based team moving up to Coventry and swallowing up Cov Rugby Club we get the "well poor little ACL need to do something after all it's all CCFCs fault". Yes, it is CCFCs fault, but this really could scupper any chance of the team I support owning the Ricoh.

It's alright saying "well if people don't mind it would be OK", but of course people will mind. I would imagine Cov Rugby fans would mind and I would imagine fans of Wasps probably don't want to travel all the way to the Midlands to see their team. Christ, we were posting begging letters on forums asking for people to sign our petition yet some on here throw the "it's only business" line around which apparently makes it OK. It's not.

Whether it's the fault of JS, TF, AL, ACL, CCFC, SISU or bloody ABC I couldn't care. They need to sort it. Allowing franchise rugby in Coventry would be a mistake.
Sorry, Torch but you are contradicting yourself. If people were not happy with the idea we would be totally opposed to it. You can't say people are only happy if everyone agrees, but then say people aren't going to agree. No agreement = opposition to the plan.

covcity4life

hopefully this opens up sisu negotiations as council willing to sell, if sisu willing to buy they have to be the top priority.

not some stupid sports team from another city.

Astute

Our club has returned. But it is only a short term deal. Why is this? Must be because Fisher is going to get a new stadium built :facepalm:

So how do you suggest it will be sorted out when the person who is said to be in charge of our club says he don't want to stay but still wants a new stadium. But I suppose it is good enough reason to divide us supporters and put everyone else to blame for their plans. And also if they were serious about negotiating the future of our club and the Ricoh why do they carry on with the litigation?

Astute

hopefully this opens up sisu negotiations as council willing to sell, if sisu willing to buy they have to be the top priority.

SISU willing to buy? Have never seen any evidence to this effect. All we have seen is attempting to batter people in court. Never been any negotiations that SISU have kept to. Yet you still blame others.

Sky Blue Dal

Unfortunately it will only be top priority now if SISU better Wasps offer now. The ball on the deal has now started rolling and it's down to other bidder to make a better offer.

If only SISU had did this when they brought the club.

skybluetony176

Talking to my Rugby mad boss about this again this afternoon and i have to say i am really worried about this. He was asking me about the facilities at the Ricoh, so i was telling him about the capacity, exhibition hall, hotel, casino etc and his reply was "yeah they'll really want that".

He then proceeded to remind me about the England game at Twickenham he took me to earlier in the year. Every inch of available space in the area had something corporate going on. We were in the local masonic halls having a drink before the game, there was a huge (and i do mean HUGE) marquee in the grounds doing corporate at a few £100 pounds a ticket. The exhibition hall would be ideal for this type of thing, maybe not every game but certainly the european games, cup game and bigger derbies. Guiness had a huge (and again, i do mean HUGE) marquee just out side the ground. The exhibition hall would be ideal for this type of thing, maybe not every game but certainly the european games, cup game and bigger derbies. He's sure that they would fill the ground on a regular basis even with a boycott from Coventry folk, especially when Saints or Tigers come, European and Cup games too. And when he says full he apparently means full, remember no segregation at Rugby matches. Also you can drink your beer in your seat at a rugby game so the F & B revenue is going to be huge as people will be drinking all game, not just before kick off, half time and after the game. The average group of Rugby fans tend to hang around after the game and drink too, especially when Guiness have set up in the exhibition hall next door, and there's a casino on site, and there's a hotel on site if you want to stop over. Then there's the transportation links. Right on J3 of the M6, within 3 junctions you're on the M69 to get the M1 North, you're on the M1 south and you're on the A14 east and then there is the rail links. Talking to my boss, this has disaser writen all over it for CCFC.

SISU it's time to put your cards on the table, stop bluffing and unite the club and the Ricoh once and for all. While you're commiting the club to 2+ maybe 2more years short term, short sighted deals at the Ricoh and bluffing that you're building your own ground this oppertunity is going to pass you and my club by. And for what?

I think and would hope that at the moment SISU could take the driving seat over anyone and any corperation because of their ownership of CCFC but how long will this be the case while TF is spewing the rubbish he has been in his new "capacity"?

Last edited:

covcity4life

Unfortunately it will only be top priority now if SISU better Wasps offer now. The ball on the deal has now started rolling and it's down to other bidder to make a better offer.

If only SISU had did this when they brought the club.

is it actually confirmed that its an official offer?

Sky Blue Dal

You're delusional if you think it would make SISU leave.

What makes you think they will stick around... What is there for them other than building us a new Stadium and selling us off at a loss if they sell us within 10 years

Even then if we reach the Prem.

They are in a total mess... FACT!!

Kingokings204

We are all ccfc fans, that not should be questioned by some. It's pathetic and always the comeback in argument.

What we should look is why we are in the position we are in and what can be done about it ASAP?

Sisu are the route to all problems here. Missed chances to buy into ACL, countless legals, no investments, moving the club away 34miles. Relegation through mis managing the club. That enough?

And people want to blame ACL for selling to a business no has caused them no harm and want to do it properly? Fuck me.

We are all ccfc fans but we are owned by a bunch of business people who may well be good but they certainly don't know football business. We were screwed from the day they took over IMO. The last 2 years was inevitable and shows no sign of getting better.

(Love the fact we are at the Ricoh I just hope it's the start of the turn)

skybluetony176

You're delusional if you think it would make SISU leave. It would make their stay even longer.

Clearly you put your hatred for SISU above your love for CCFC.

My fear is even bigger than that. If Wasps did take controll of ACL and the Ricoh what use would SISU have for CCFC anymore?

Sky Blue Dal

is it actually confirmed that its an official offer?

Don't think it's been made official.. but if the story behind it is genuine then that's the only option SISU have otherwise it's closed curtains for us as a club. I can't see them investing in building a new stadium. It would bee too much of a loss for them to bare.

covcity4life

Don't think it's been made official.. but if the story behind it is genuine then that's the only option SISU have otherwise it's closed curtains for us as a club. I can't see them investing in building a new stadium. It would bee too much of a loss for them to bare.

so the council may finally kill us.

wow

Users who are viewing this thread