Wasps going into admin & the impact on CCFC (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

If I suddenly find out Elon Musk is my long lost cousin and he gives me. a billion quid to invest in my club I would definitely look to build a new stadium but somewhere more central where it can earn money 24/7

Calista

' Whether owning either Wasps or Coventry is a longer-term goal remains to be seen, with neither part of a deal Telegraph Sport has been told nevertheless will see Frasers commit “100 per cent” to both teams continuing to play at the arena'

djr8369

Not happy - bounty is the one of the best parts of these - along with the Snickers. The rest are average at best
It’s a good palette cleanser. Removing it is like having steak and chips without a side salad or something. Great in theory but a bit overindulgent.

Liquid Gold

If I suddenly find out Elon Musk is my long lost cousin and he gives me. a billion quid to invest in my club I would definitely look to build a new stadium but somewhere more central where it can earn money 24/7
Very few things earn money 24/7. You trying to do a football stadium Bergheim mix?

torchomatic

Someone's been dicking about with the Large Hadron Collider Torch as this is the first time I think I've ever disagreed with you.

At first I thought I'd be fine with it. The fact that they're not our landlords is crucial for me.

That said, there's still pitch issues with them using it as well, there's still the fact the Cov already have a decent rugby side and there's still the fact that the parasite w*&nkers should never have been here in the first place.

Oh, and that the council would still have them to fawn over and lap up is another reason that upon reflection, I wouldn't be fine with it.

True, Wee. I wasn't really thinking of the pitch thing. Pleased they're not our landlords anymore and want them gone.

I am hoping against hope that they go back down South East way, but this two year thing is concerning.

I cannot see why MA would want Wasps. The money they would generate would be negligible.

Nick

Administrator
' Whether owning either Wasps or Coventry is a longer-term goal remains to be seen, with neither part of a deal Telegraph Sport has been told nevertheless will see Frasers commit “100 per cent” to both teams continuing to play at the arena'

If true, we are getting fucked over.

alexccfc99

Well good luck with wasps playing championship rugby there lol

Realistically how many could you see rocking up for Wasps v Cov in the Championship at the CBS

I made a vow to myself never to watch Rugby in that stadium when the insects arrived but I imagine lots would be up for going to that and supporting Cov

shmmeee

They have 3 directors who will most likely go but other than that it's just ordinary staff, Ashley is not going to get rid of them is he? Who will run the place?

Though that would surely apply to anybody really so perhaps there are other reasons for the council 'preference'?

It’s not rocket science. Wasps told the council what they needed to hear: regeneration, investment into the area, etc. Cleary it was all bollocks, but it’s what you have to say to get their support. Just like wearing a suit to an interview.

This has always been Sisus mistake, if they’d tickled a few bellies and made some promises about investment they’d have been in there like swimwear. Instead they took on a local authority in the courts and started a PR campaign in the local press.

Hardly winning friends and influencing people.

chiefdave

That only makes sense if Wasps are somehow going to be allowed to play in the Premiership next year. Even then you'd have doubts given what has happened to date.

Even their own forums are full of people saying they don't want to play in Cov again. A reborn Wasps playing in the Championship in front a few hundred people is never going to work.

Nick

Administrator
That only makes sense if Wasps are somehow going to be allowed to play in the Premiership next year. Even then you'd have doubts given what has happened to date.

Relegation still isn't 100% as they can appeal it and blame COVID.....

duffer

Not sure what the problem is? ACL will want the best price for the assets and the council will want an offer that protects jobs as far as possible

As previous, the Council can say whatever they want, and make some pretence about giving a shit about either jobs in the local area or CCFC.

However, having sold 100% of ACL to Wasps, they've got no real leverage here. Personally, I'm taking that as a positive.

duffer

Live over in Balsall so much easier for me! Thought it was a bypass that dropped back to the standard roads before Kenilworth but would be delighted to be proved wrong as would help with the commute 🤣.

Don't forget the new light railway that supposed to be coming. Though in finest Council tradition, they'll probably close it on match days if a stadium did magically appear next to a line. 😁

duffer

Someone's been dicking about with the Large Hadron Collider Torch as this is the first time I think I've ever disagreed with you.

At first I thought I'd be fine with it. The fact that they're not our landlords is crucial for me.

That said, there's still pitch issues with them using it as well, there's still the fact the Cov already have a decent rugby side and there's still the fact that the parasite w*&nkers should never have been here in the first place.

Oh, and that the council would still have them to fawn over and lap up is another reason that upon reflection, I wouldn't be fine with it.

My thoughts precisely. I reckon torch will come round to our opinion in the end, though I can see where he's coming from.

Seeing them go bust twice here would be moderately enjoyable I suppose. 😁

olderskyblue

Fine by me. Wasps' crowds were shit in the Premier league (or whatever it's called), they'll be even more shit in the Championship. Can see them leaving or folding within a couple of years of playing here again.
A friend of mine has bought in to the ”wasps have more season ticket holders in CV post code than not” story. No idea if that was true or not.

duffer

I think on paper they don't.

Why has Reeves been so involved? Why have they been involved with the club about getting games on if it's just down to ACL?

Personal opinion mate, they're just blagging to make themselves look better. To look like they care about CCFC, or that they took some precaution when selling to Wasps to protect the club. We know for a fact of course, that was just bullshit.

What actual legal power do they have to stop a sale of ACL to whomever the administrator chooses?

Nick

Administrator
Personal opinion mate, they're just blagging to make themselves look better. To look like they care about CCFC, or that they took some precaution when selling to Wasps to protect the club. We know for a fact of course, that was just bullshit.

What actual legal power do they have to stop a sale of ACL to whomever the administrator chooses?

Oh yeah no doubt they are trying to make themselves look better but they have been heavily involved.

To be honest, nothing would surprise me with it all.

Brylowes

You also wouldn't buy the ground on the assumption you then agree a deal with the football club. You either agree that deal beforehand, or you don't really need the football club and if it comes up at some point then you'll deal with it and decide whether it's worth the hassle or not.
But the stadium is up for grabs now, the football club on the other hand isn’t.
Presuming MA does secure ownership of the stadium and given the type of businessman he is, you would have to think he’d be looking to secure ownership of the football club as well.
I don’t really understand this idea that he must have already had dialogue with SISU ‘why would he, unless I’m missing something here he holds all the cards and when the dust settles SISU will surely be seeking talks with him.
If he gets the stadium, IMHO SISU are ‘for all intents & purposes’ finished at this club.
a, sell for a quick lump sum and make a sharp exit.
b, sit indefinitely paying rent to an unmovable landlord with absolutely no prospect of a future windfall.

RegTheDonk

Nah, can't see that myself. I know you have a "source", but unless he actually sits in the room of negotiation himself, then HE is hearing it second-hand from someone else. That's how the Chinese whispers start. Gilbert is guilty of it too, saying SISU and Ashley haven't been in contact. How do we know? ...
Could be JS has told MA if Mutton, Reves and the council crew know they're in league with each other, they'll bend over backwards to get the NEC the deal. Keep it on the QT for now, mums the word Big Mike. x

Otis

If wasps are still playing in the arena that is not a win for us at all and all the celebration has been misguided.

I personally won’t be happy until they’re fucking gone. This whole thing has made me hate them even more as well as all of their fans outside of London.
We definitely want them gone and besides, if they did stay, they are just going to cut up the pitch all over again.

Nick

Administrator
How long realistically do ACL have for the deal to go through?

At the moment it's being said Ashley is the preferred bidder so I am assuming now they are in Administration the Administrator will want him to pump money in to keep it going?

What happens (generally in business) if he puts money in but then the deal doesn't go through?

olderskyblue

They don't have any.
not strictly true unless all the suckers that bought them have had their money back.. ;)

chiefdave

To be fair the 'its nothing to do with the council' line doesn't work because they are happy to turn up with a shovel and hi-viz to take credit for anything good that happens in the city no matter if they've been involved or not. So when they start shooting their mouths off about 'doing everything they can', or 'speak to Reeves' the only conclusion people are going to draw is they have some involvement.

RegTheDonk

Fine by me. Wasps' crowds were shit in the Premier league (or whatever it's called), they'll be even more shit in the Championship. Can see them leaving or folding within a couple of years of playing here again.
Maybe he wants to get Cov Rugby playing there ... buy their ground, build houes (or anything that he can make money from which council will approve as its more "regeration").

Unfortunately, WE ALL KNOW NOTHING.

It's good to speculate on the eventual outcome but all we can do is hope for the best (min is we play at the CBS and SISU eventually piss off).

Nick

Administrator
To be fair the 'its nothing to do with the council' line doesn't work because they are happy to turn up with a shovel and hi-viz to take credit for anything good that happens in the city no matter if they've been involved or not. So when they start shooting their mouths off about 'doing everything they can', or 'speak to Reeves' the only conclusion people are going to draw is they have some involvement.

That's my point.

For years we have heard "We have no say over ACL, talks need to be between them" but then over the last few weeks, it seems Reeves has been very involved (not just the takeover).

jordan210

giphy.gif

Nick

Administrator
Maybe he wants to get Cov Rugby playing there ... buy their ground, build houes (or anything that he can make money from which council will approve as its more "regeration").

Unfortunately, WE ALL KNOW NOTHING.

It's good to speculate on the eventual outcome but all we can do is hope for the best (min is we play at the CBS and SISU eventually piss off).

Maybe he will sell it to CCFC....

giphy.gif

Brylowes

Looks like they employed 66 people (including directors) in 2020.

Is Ashley going to come in and leave them all in place? You would assume new directors and management.
They have 3 directors who will most likely go but other than that it's just ordinary staff, Ashley is not going to get rid of them is he? Who will run the place?

Though that would surely apply to anybody really so perhaps there are other reasons for the council 'preference'?
If anything I would imagine MA would be looking to increase the amount of employee.

Calista

Even their own forums are full of people saying they don't want to play in Cov again. A reborn Wasps playing in the Championship in front a few hundred people is never going to work.
I doubt if any thinking about Wasps is as short term as that. If Ashley wanted to own them, or at least be associated with them, he would see them as a Rugby ‘brand’. Maybe Frasers want a slice of the rugby clothing market? If they are in a lower league for a while and not making money, that wouldn't bother him – the brand can easily be rebuilt. He’ll be thinking that in a few years there could be a European Rugby Super League or whatever, and one way or another Wasps would be on board with that. It’s not a meritocracy unfortunately, money talks.

wingy

There is potentially a few reasons bu
Someone is paying some serious money to keep our games on. If it is Ashley I would guess it would be because of what is best for our club. No immediate plans to keep the games on and I would think differently.

With our recent form it shows we are capable of putting runs together. It wouldn't take too much investment this season to give us a really decent chance of promotion. So a few more millions to SISU to have a chance a year earlier of promotion?

Isn't it strange that the game was only confirmed as going ahead just the day before and straight after the game administration was confirmed?

Yes I might be reading too much into it. But why would he want a football ground but not a football club?
The Friday rumours and Admin/liquidation game off etc all came from where .The late game confirmation etc.
Is it confirmed we actually were blackmailed into funding ACL in the week to get the Saturday game on. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread