Wasps go to bottom of the pyramid (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Wasps have confirmed they will not use the former Sixways Stadium of Worcester Warriors as an interim home when the club is cleared to return to rugby.

The six-time Premiership champions were based in Coventry when they went into administration in October 2022.
Club legend Kenny Logan was hopeful they would initially choose Sixways, prior to relocating to Kent.

But a Wasps spokesperson said they will use a temporary base in the "Greater London and South East England Area".

The spokesperson added: "Wasps have never considered Sixways as a permanent home and were involved only to facilitate an option to play at the stadium on a temporary basis.

"Our intended permanent home is now in Kent, where we are actively pursuing our new stadium."

Wasps had £95m of debts when they went into administration, which cost them their place in the Premiership.

They have been working with Sevenoaks District Council to find the right site for a permanent new home and would like to enter a league next season, although chairman Chris Holland said in October that they may have to wait until 2025-26 to do so.

"All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values," said a statement issued on Monday.

Wasps were based at two London locations before moving to Wycombe in 2002, and then Coventry in 2014.
They want 2 bases?

SkyBlueCharlie9

Fcuking Wasps are considering trying to build their stadium on a great little affordable golf course I play on at Pedham Place, in Kent. Ruined my football club for years and now they are disrupting my other passion in life. They are an utter bunch of kn0b heads.

Grendel

Fcuking Wasps are considering trying to build their stadium on a great little affordable golf course I play on at Pedham Place, in Kent. Ruined my football club for years and now they are disrupting my other passion in life. They are an utter bunch of kn0b heads.

I wouldn’t worry too much - they wouldn’t even have enough money to sponsor a hole in one on a Par 3

Joy Division

They are long gone, and thankfully so but I still think it is worth remembering for the sake of consequence and legacy that this organisation bullied us as a football club, tried to make us disappear, laughed at our situation, evicted us from our stadium and tried to steal support from the city.

tisza

They are long gone, and thankfully so but I still think it is worth remembering for the sake of consequence and legacy that this organisation bullied us as a football club, tried to make us disappear, laughed at our situation, evicted us from our stadium and tried to steal support from the city.
Shouldn't forget the complicity of certain influential council members/employees who were willing accessories due to their enmity towards our former owners - or that they let that overide any concern for the football team or its supporters (or indeed CRFC's future)

duffer

You have my full sympathy mate. Fwiw, and especially given the state of English rugby at the moment, I can't see anyone serious investing in this. It's dreamers and chancers, just like the last time, gulling the naïve and the corrupt in the local council. Just like the last time.

It'll probably take a few years for them to get found out, but I'm fairly sure it won't end with a spade in the ground.

Nick

Administrator
Shouldn't forget the complicity of certain influential council members/employees who were willing accessories due to their enmity towards our former owners - or that they let that overide any concern for the football team or its supporters (or indeed CRFC's future)
Step up Mr Maton

OffenhamSkyBlue

You have my full sympathy mate. Fwiw, and especially given the state of English rugby at the moment, I can't see anyone serious investing in this. It's dreamers and chancers, just like the last time, gulling the naïve and the corrupt in the local council. Just like the last time.

It'll probably take a few years for them to get found out, but I'm fairly sure it won't end with a spade in the ground.
Not just English either. Ospreys can't afford the costs of groundshare with Swansea City at the Liberty, so are looking to use one of the other club grounds locally, with a capacity of 6,000!! The regional "mega-club" model is failing in Wales, and that is having a knock-on effect on the national side too. For some reason, people just don't want to go to watch rugby anymore, other than in a few select places where it is in the blood (Leicester, Northampton, Glawsterrrr, Brizzle, Baaaaaaath, etc).

Gynnsthetonic

They could revert to the old days with the English and Welsh clubs playing each other. Cov v Cardiff used to be a big fixture years ago

OffenhamSkyBlue

Indeed. Although you probably wouldn't want to run a pub on the route home for the team bus, such was their legendary drinking habit and propensity for "high jinks" (picking fights with locals, etc).

tisza

Not just English either. Ospreys can't afford the costs of groundshare with Swansea City at the Liberty, so are looking to use one of the other club grounds locally, with a capacity of 6,000!! The regional "mega-club" model is failing in Wales, and that is having a knock-on effect on the national side too. For some reason, people just don't want to go to watch rugby anymore, other than in a few select places where it is in the blood (Leicester, Northampton, Glawsterrrr, Brizzle, Baaaaaaath, etc).
An interesting read.

Terry_dactyl

I know nothing about Rugby but have a friend who loves it. I sent him that Walesonline article and he’s agreed for me to share his response…

“Oh I could rant, but do I have the time......

Here's the thing. I hate regional rugby. It's destroyed the game in this country, and we're starting to reap the rewards of the whole fucked up concept.

I hate the URC. How can you have a weekly league with a thriving support when you have away matches against 4 south african teams, 2 Italian teams, 4 irish teams and 2 Scottish teams. Who's making those journeys?

Apparently an all Welsh top flight is unsustainable. So lets fly our 4 made-up, financially broken "regions" to 4 different countries, incuding 1 different continent, with no realstic chance of away support, for every away game.

I hate Wasps. I don't have the personal reasons for hatred that you have. However, their franchise model that saw them go to Cov, abandon centuries as a club, bollocks to their original supporters and community, and essentially become a soulless made up entity, is actually pretty similar to regional rugby. Which means they'd be perfectly suited to the shit-show that is the URC. Let them join, hopefully they can all combust together.

Turns out I do have time for a rant”.

Nick

Administrator
Lol Shugs and co on great form saying it will be good to get away from cheats and they have always been an honest club
It really baffles me that they really can't see the irony.

They literally spent other people's money and ran up debts with no intention or way to pay it back.

lordsummerisle

Just read a bit on DW, even more deluded and arrogant cocks than they were when they actually had a rugby club to support.

Didn't think that possible to be fair, so fair fucks!

Terry Gibson's perm

Come on they need to get that kit man back I see to love how he would dangle a carrot for them.

It’sabatch87

Not one player recognises a fan they just walk through up their own arses, couldn’t happen to a nicer club, good riddance!!
We have our rugby club already, stay extinct!!

Grendel

wonkywasp “Kent you don’t know how lucky you are to have wasps”

shugs “great to get away from the corrupt and stale premiership”

Users who are viewing this thread