Wasps downward spiral... (7 Viewers)

oldfiver

Yep I saw that in 2007 (2 or 3 ? owners before Richardson) ...... The impression I got from Nick was that it was something more recent around the time of the Cov move .... One ESPN article published 5 years before the Olympics is hardly factual that they turned it down ! But I suppose you believe what you want to believe. Likewise the talk of Brentford and many rumors years before the stadium was ever built but nothing ever came of it. Both were years before Richardson was around. Adams Park was only ever temporary, so not surprising there were rumors of a move around that era .... there were many more suggested and rumored but thats all they were rumors, nothing more. Wycombe airfield is another one that failed.

I wouldnt say it was the only reason ...... but a knock down stadium was obviously a good enough reason for Richardson.

I would agree that leaving supporters behind is not good ....... Although personally I don't see why all 3 cant co exist if things are done in the right way

To a lot of people its water under the bridge

It was stated in the context of revenue .......... which with hindsight was a daft thing to say ....... but we all know hindsight is wonderful !

I get it ....... Ive said before I agree with many viewpoints on here

Yep time will tell .......... Huge warning bells from a business perspective it seems a mess ...... but strip it back to the rugby I really dont think Wasps will go anywhere, one way or another the Rugby club will survive ..... that said none of us know !

Current rumours indicate they want to dispose of the stadium but retain the "Club". There are changes being mooted to raise the Rugby profile - down through the leagues. There is also the World Cup being prepared in the USA with Franchise types looking to spread abroad

Grendel

Current rumours indicate they want to dispose of the stadium but retain the "Club". There are changes being mooted to raise the Rugby profile - down through the leagues. There is also the World Cup being prepared in the USA with Franchise types looking to spread abroad

Do they have a 50 year sub lease

Philosorapter

The idea of businesses around the Arena is to be a cash cow for a team within the Arena. Not to be sold off at the first opportunity, and especially to finance previous years of a sporting team at the Arena.

Absolute scandal if this is what being planned.

Grendel

The idea of businesses around the Arena is to be a cash cow for a team within the Arena. Not to be sold off at the first opportunity, and especially to finance previous years of a sporting team at the Arena.

Absolute scandal if this is what being planned.

Well my suspicion is that’s exactly what’s going to happen

interesting ….. although the World Cup isn’t until 2031. The franchise thing In the USA was a bit of a flop unless this is something new you are referring to.

oldfiver

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

There’s no way they’ll dispose of the stadium and retain the club. Whatever it’s faults it’s still more of an asset than the “club”

mad much as I want them to go I don’t think it’ll be short term

MacReady

One thing I would say is that, yes, our attendances have risen in tandem with our rise through the leagues and performances -and this is genuinely not a dig - but are there enough Wasps fans willing to travel to Coventry to watch a game on a regular basis, given we’ve been here like 140 years or whatever it’s easier for us but I’d question how much attendances would realistically rise given the location.

chiefdave

There’s no way they’ll dispose of the stadium and retain the club. Whatever it’s faults it’s still more of an asset than the “club”

I guess the unknown here is just how serious, and therefore how expensive, the work the stadium requires is. We all know its more than a bit of cosmetic work and that structural engineers have been in to asses the extent of the problems but are we in potential St Andrews territory or something that is relatively easily fixed.

Don't think it would come as a shock to anyone to discover corners had been cut when it came to the original build.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I guess the unknown here is just how serious, and therefore how expensive, the work the stadium requires is. We all know its more than a bit of cosmetic work and that structural engineers have been in to asses the extent of the problems but are we in potential St Andrews territory or something that is relatively easily fixed.

Don't think it would come as a shock to anyone to discover corners had been cut when it came to the original build.
I can’t see structural issues occurring after 17 years, if so - apologies in advance.

where was that alluded to?

Grendel

Well they could. If they had the valuation price for the Head lease that would pay off Richardson and the bondholders and leave cash to spare for the rugby club and they will be protected by the sub lease - if they had a buyer it would make total sense

chiefdave

I can’t see structural issues occurring after 17 years, if so - apologies in advance.

where was that alluded to?
there were cracks that were thought to be cosmetic but turned out not to be. structural engineers were called in to asses the damage and all I got from my ACL contact before they left was that it was 'worse than feared'. I thought this was a known thing that was reported on at the time, albeit made to sound like everything was ok.

Edit:
It has emerged this month that cracks have been discovered at the stadium, attributed to “ground settlement”.

A Wasps Ricoh Arena statement reads: “Routine building checks have found some minor cracks in some walls which is a result of ground settlement, which is not unusual in a building of this size. In consultation with our structural engineer we are carrying out the normal maintenance.

“The Ricoh Arena will remain open as normal during maintenance works and there will be no disruption to the venue’s day-to-day operations.”

Gynnsthetonic

Well they could. If they had the valuation price for the Head lease that would pay off Richardson and the bondholders and leave cash to spare for the rugby club and they will be protected by the sub lease - if they had a buyer it would make total sense
Who would be willing to buy the stadium though?

chiefdave

Would the football club benefit from future profits or would it all go to Wasps
Wishful thinking but if AEG took over the CBS it would not be out of the question that they also ended up taking over CCFC. They have a history of doing that and they have a history of their teams winning things. Would also mean a huge increase in the number of big name music acts at the CBS as they are one of the two biggest concert promoters on the planet.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Wishful thinking but if AEG took over the CBS it would not be out of the question that they also ended up taking over CCFC. They have a history of doing that and they have a history of their teams winning things. Would also mean a huge increase in the number of big name music acts at the CBS as they are one of the two biggest concert promoters on the planet.

Isn’t this what SISU wanted to do with the Ricoh? Bring in AEG

One thing I would say is that, yes, our attendances have risen in tandem with our rise through the leagues and performances -and this is genuinely not a dig - but are there enough Wasps fans willing to travel to Coventry to watch a game on a regular basis, given we’ve been here like 140 years or whatever it’s easier for us but I’d question how much attendances would realistically rise given the location.

Not taken as a dig …… Its difficult to predict how many more would attend and they’re not all in London, there’s a good few in a spread radius from Wycombe, so for some the distance to Coventry is not that great. Wherever they live there’s a lot of Wasps supporters and rugby supporters in general who would make the effort if the on field product is good, that doesn’t necessarily mean winning every game but consistently performing well. Despite what many here think there was a fair amount of interest in the local region, from those with no axe to grind with Wasps who would come if Wasps were doing well. There was a lot of hospitality heads sold for many games and those aren’t freebies as ultimately someone pays even of the ticket holder doesn’t. What is apparent at all clubs is that covid hasn’t helped anyone and neither is the current financial situation in the UK generally with people having to pull up on spending.

Nick

Administrator
Not taken as a dig …… Its difficult to predict how many more would attend and they’re not all in London, there’s a good few in a spread radius from Wycombe, so for some the distance to Coventry is not that great. Wherever they live there’s a lot of Wasps supporters and rugby supporters in general who would make the effort if the on field product is good, that doesn’t necessarily mean winning every game but consistently performing well. Despite what many here think there was a fair amount of interest in the local region, from those with no axe to grind with Wasps who would come if Wasps were doing well. There was a lot of hospitality heads sold for many games and those aren’t freebies as ultimately someone pays even of the ticket holder doesn’t. What is apparent at all clubs is that covid hasn’t helped anyone and neither is the current financial situation in the UK generally with people having to pull up on spending.
Did you get to many?

Since your freebies stopped you have been found out. Barely anybody gives a shit.

Anybody who I know who went only went when it was free and wouldn't pay.

Last edited:

Grendel

fuck me the red chino wearing piss drinker doesn't half talk some shite

Ok who's on the WUM?

I think we are witnessing a Sky Blue Kid tribute act here;

A hot day
A park bench
A plastic bag full of Special Brew

Gynnsthetonic

We've just sold a record number of season tickets and the executive boxes sold out for the forthcoming season again!

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Well said, CCFC has a strategy in relation to free tickets, London Wasps strategy was try and get some locals up to the game and hopefully they will come back. They didn't, when the free tickets dried up so did the attendances. Coventry people will come back as it's their club representing them.

I was watching a local game 3-4 years ago and a guy was walking around with more tickets than his hands could handle trying to give away free london wasps tickets. Everyone told him where to go with him muttering under his breath " i can't give these away."
I went once, never again. The other form of Rugby is better and even more so because it is not at The CBS arena.

Users who are viewing this thread