Wasps attendances.. (1 Viewer)

Bennosdancingfeet

To be honest, I'm done with all the political bollocks, I'm just glad the sky blues are back at the Ricoh so I can go and watch again.

I won't lie, I'm a fan of rugby too and the pull of premiership rugby has wet the appetite and I will be going to watch some games.

Was just wondering what sort of crowds wasps are hoping for and what there current attendance is. I know so many men and women who will definitely be new wasps fans.

Nick

Administrator
About 6,000 I think, less than ours.

There has been a Rugby Club for years in Coventry though, just in case some people weren't aware ;)

Block19

I think if you get a winning team on the pitch in any sport then people will go follow them. If Wasps start winning the league and European cup then the stadium will be full. The coventry blaze were moved from Solihull found success and the place was packed now they are struggling people are dwindling off. It's the same evey where Blackburn were well supported when they won the premiership now you don't see many people following them.

Bennosdancingfeet

Yes Nick, a rugby club that is playing in the third tier. A rugby club that I have watched numerous times over the last 5 years, however, top flight rugby is what people want to see. I actually think it will kick on and help coventry RFC long term.

Nick

Administrator
Yes Nick, a rugby club that is playing in the third tier. A rugby club that I have watched numerous times over the last 5 years, however, top flight rugby is what people want to see. I actually think it will kick on and help coventry RFC long term.

Ah I see your point. I really hope the Villa or somebody move into the Ricoh with the other 50% so I can go and support them now. :p

Grendel

Loyalty is clearly a word missing from your vocabulary.

Bennosdancingfeet

Loyalty is clearly a word missing from your vocabulary.

No, I have loyalty to my preferred sport which is why I follow the sky blues in the 3rd tier of English football. I said I like rugby. Watching a top rugby match does not make me less loyal to coventry RFC as I don't support a rugby team. I go to watch the game for entertainment.

chiefdave

a rugby club that is playing in the third tier. A rugby club that I have watched numerous times over the last 5 years, however, top flight rugby is what people want to see.

I know zero about Rugby. Is it realistic that Cov could have gone from where they are now to the top level? If so presumably this move has pretty much killed any chance of that

Ah I see your point. I really hope the Villa or somebody move into the Ricoh with the other 50% so I can go and support them now. :p

Thinking about it if they announced that Man Utd against Chelsea was going to be played at the Ricoh I imagine quite a few city fans would go up. Wouldn't mean they had changed who they support just a chance to watch some better football. Guess that's what they are hoping for and over time people will become more connected to them. You can't get away from it though, it's out and out franchising whatever way you look at it, even if what Wasps are implying about it being this or going bust.

mds

I could, i hope they get none, i hope they get relegated and CRFC hammer them after getting promoted, i hope the Butts get rammed :eek: week in week out and all the real Coventry teams get the real support they really deserve rather than some glory hunting........think what the fuck you want its franchised rugby its fckin wrong and its here!

Hobo

No, I have loyalty to my preferred sport which is why I follow the sky blues in the 3rd tier of English football. I said I like rugby. Watching a top rugby match does not make me less loyal to coventry RFC as I don't support a rugby team. I go to watch the game for entertainment.

If you watch a game for entertainment you missed a treat on Saturday Coventry vs Wharfdale. A superb first half followed by A Wharfdale fight back. Tickets £15 or £11 concessions and deals. Don't be put off by Coventry RfC third tier status. Sport at its best is played on a level and competitive playing field.

you are obviously one of the many people Wasps are targeting in their move. I can understand their business model, however it betrays their original fan base and does nothing for Coventry Rugby Club in the long term.

stupot07

Don't you think it's a tad hypocritical to support/fund a team that has been permanently moved 80+ miles from its fanbase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
I know zero about Rugby. Is it realistic that Cov could have gone from where they are now to the top level? If so presumably this move has pretty much killed any chance of that

Thinking about it if they announced that Man Utd against Chelsea was going to be played at the Ricoh I imagine quite a few city fans would go up. Wouldn't mean they had changed who they support just a chance to watch some better football. Guess that's what they are hoping for and over time people will become more connected to them. You can't get away from it though, it's out and out franchising whatever way you look at it, even if what Wasps are implying about it being this or going bust.

Imagine if say Villa or West Brom moved to play here full time (or even Leicester now they are in the Prem) and everybody suddenly supported them. As a City fan I'd be peeved, I can see how the Rugger fans will feel annoyed by it.

chiefdave

Imagine if say Villa or West Brom moved to play here full time (or even Leicester now they are in the Prem) and everybody suddenly supported them. As a City fan I'd be peeved, I can see how the Rugger fans will feel annoyed by it.

I don't think everyone will suddenly support them. What they're probably hoping is people will come along as its top level rugby and over a period of years become more attached to the team.

People could even support 2 teams. I used to go and see Cambridge Utd when I lived down there, they were bouncing around what is now L1 / L2 at the time and pretty much everyone who went supported a Prem team as well, mostly either Arsenal or Spurs so who knows.

Are rugby fans as loyal as football fans? There's one chap on the Wasps forum who's already said he's not supporting them any more and is going to start supporting London Irish which seems a touch odd as a) how can you change so easily and b) London Irish don't play in London either!

NorthernWisdom

It's possible, not so long ago they were knocking on the door of getting into the top flight. Hell, even Rugby Lions made it there for a couple of seasons!

It'd have been even easier if an irish businessman whoi'd made his money in online insurance and dreamt of a Rugby team in Coventry, had chosen to bankroll them for a while...

Nick

Administrator
I don't think everyone will suddenly support them. What they're probably hoping is people will come along as its top level rugby and over a period of years become more attached to the team.

People could even support 2 teams. I used to go and see Cambridge Utd when I lived down there, they were bouncing around what is now L1 / L2 at the time and pretty much everyone who went supported a Prem team as well, mostly either Arsenal or Spurs so who knows.

Are rugby fans as loyal as football fans? There's one chap on the Wasps forum who's already said he's not supporting them any more and is going to start supporting London Irish which seems a touch odd as a) how can you change so easily and b) London Irish don't play in London either!

Yep I can see they will want more fans. I mean you can't blame them can you, they aren't going to turn people away for being from Coventry.

I just struggle to see how people can swap and change who they support just because of the league they are in. Probably why I was very much a minority at school in a City shirt :(

J

Jack Griffin

Told a rugby supporting colleague at work today, he hadn't even heard about the move till I said.
His reaction "Great, I can go there instead of Worcester, it's a lot nearer to where I live".

Had to look it up, cause I've no interest in Rugby, but Worcester are in a lower division too..

stupot07

Told a rugby supporting colleague at work today, he hadn't even heard about the move till I said.
His reaction "Great, I can go there instead of Worcester, it's a lot nearer to where I live".

Had to look it up, cause I've no interest in Rugby, but Worcester are in a lower division too..

How odd. I don't think I could go and watch any sports team on a regular basis without my heart being in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

italiahorse

I will walk up to the first game just to be part of the occasion.
Never got into Rugby other than when we won the world cup.
Seems to be a players game as I hate scrums and free kick on goal for something that nobody but ref saw.

In the pub earlier the 'Football is for girls and Rugby is a mans game' brigade will all be going.

Rusty Trombone

That's odd as there's already a club in Coventry, did he not know that either?

SkyBlueMatt

Yep I can see they will want more fans. I mean you can't blame them can you, they aren't going to turn people away for being from Coventry.

I just struggle to see how people can swap and change who they support just because of the league they are in. Probably why I was very much a minority at school in a City shirt :(

That's the problem, much of the loyalty has left sport in general. People now see it as just another form of entertainment, no different than going to the cinema.

wingy

Same As....

Users who are viewing this thread