Was Thorn a legitimate contender? (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

It's annoying seeing people suggest that Thorn was appointed as 'cheap option', but had an impressive 3-5-2 (W-D-L) record, so my question is, as stated in the title, was Thorn a legitimate contender for the job for the 11/12 season?

IMO, he was, we played well or the last 10 games picking up good wins and draws, so was the fan's choice, and I think I remember him being tracked by 'unnamed teams'.

We all know he turned out; reactionary, useless, rigid, clueless etc etc. but that's why hindsight is a great thing.

Just after your opinion.

:D

stupot07

They were right to give him the job, but should have sacked him 7-8 games into the season. KD was too busy slashing the wage bill and didnt want to pay for a proper manager ergo Thorn was the cheap option.

Grendel

The vast majority of posters who wanted Thorn and wanted then to keep Thorn are the same people who long for administration.

Not much more to say really.

Grendel

sky blue john

i will admit for Grendels sake even though fact he is 99% of the time wrong.
That yes i wouldn't have had a problem with thorn staying longer. I do believe he was shafted and not supported by sisu whilst we were in the championship.

sky blue john

The vast majority of posters who wanted Thorn and wanted then to keep Thorn are the same people who long for administration.

I will give you another fact of Grendels is that it wouldn't be administration but liquidation is what he preached it would be.
Now he always likes to dramatise and scaremonger.

Colonel Mustard

He was a legitimate candidate. Not who I would have picked, but I understand why SISU gave him the permanent job. He should have been sacked in October, though.

They were right to give him the job, but should have sacked him 7-8 games into the season. KD was too busy slashing the wage bill and didnt want to pay for a proper manager ergo Thorn was the cheap option.
I believe he was on a higher salary than MR was brought in On... So maybe not the cheap option but perhaps the easiest..

Last edited:

Sick Boy

It won't be long until he is given the chance to show what he can really do. I suspect he will be given the top of a top Championship team and take the league by storm, before eventually turning them into a force in European football. He could potentially become the next England manager.

Brighton Sky Blue

It won't be long until he is given the chance to show what he can really do. I suspect he will be given the top of a top Championship team and take the league by storm, before eventually turning them into a force in European football. He could potentially become the next England manager.

Not even Fergie could have said it better.

Grendel

I was under the impression that the last offer ACL gave provided for the bill to be repaid over a lengthy timeframe.

I don't get your point here BSB -- many on the phone in said they would even prefer Evo Stick League and liquidation rather than SISU stay and do a deal with the council and many on here today have said the same.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't get your point here BSB -- many on the phone in said they would even prefer Evo Stick League and liquidation rather than SISU stay and do a deal with the council and many on here today have said the same.

Truth be told I haven't been on here much earlier. I doubt people genuinely want liquidation-at least I'd like to think not.

Delboycov

Never wanted Thorn and consistently said he was out of depth and probably the worst manager I've seen in my 35 years of supporting the club...even worse than Peter Reid and Bobby Gould. I also would certainly prefer administration to liquidation which the SISU puppets that you so often back to the hilt seem to think is something that they will inevitably inflict on us.

Last edited:

Otis

I never wanted Thorn in the first place either.

We needed a strong manager with experience, not a novice learning the game who didn't even have the relevant badges.

Thorn was a very, very poor manager, way out of his depth. He lacked the nous and knowledge of how to change things. Same mistakes kept occurring again and again and it was all very predicable and also pally pally.

Recall Brian Roberts saying he went behind the scenes and he hinted at a lack of professionalism and discipline within the club, with it all being a bit matey and with a worrying disregard towards training etc.

A terrible manager unfortunately. Had we sacked him in time we may well have still been in the Championship right now.
Will be very surprised if he ever gets a managerial post again.

Macca

Thorn was appointed and kept on too long by our illustrious saviours. They ve fucked up promotion by letting us drop too many points at the start of the season and putting us at the mercy of a points deduction

lordsummerisle

Thorn was appointed and kept on too long by our illustrious saviours. They ve fucked up promotion by letting us drop too many points at the start of the season and putting us at the mercy of a points deduction

The thing I never understood last season was the "Love Thorn/Hate Sisu" thing going on, if they loved Thorn so much they should have been happy that we had the only owners in football stupid and willing enough to give him a job.

Otis

:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Sky Blue Kid

The thing I never understood last season was the "Love Thorn/Hate Sisu" thing going on, if they loved Thorn so much they should have been happy that we had the only owners in football stupid and willing enough to give him a job.

Never thought I'd be doing this but....100% agree with what you say:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:
SBTaylor...Isn't Thorn applying for the Plymouth job? Perhaps you should join him. 4-5-1 would be the formation, wouldn't it?....Schmuck!

Mucca Mad Boys

Never thought I'd be doing this but....100% agree with what you say:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:
SBTaylor...Isn't Thorn applying for the Plymouth job? Perhaps you should join him. 4-5-1 would be the formation, wouldn't it?....Schmuck!

Plymouth have had a manager from the 6/1/13! :facepalm: 4-5-1 wouldn't be the formation, it'd be the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

Only schmuck here is you.

Grendel

Never wanted Thorn and consistently said he was out of depth and probably the worst manager I've seen in my 35 years of supporting the club...even worse than Peter Reid and Bobby Gould. I also would certainly prefer administration to liquidation which the SISU puppets that you so often back to the hilt seem to think is something that they will inevitably inflict on us.

Total misconception.

Point here is many people blindly said nonsense regarding Thorn being a messiah when most could see he was a pitiful performer at managerial level.

In the same way a lot of the same people consider that the "Investor" will come charging over the hill and will save the day. This is as likely as the ludicrous statements about Thorn were ever likely to materialise.

The term "investor" means getting a return. Only chance is ground purchase. Again people seem to think a bloke will drive up and shout "Loadsamoney!!" and just pay for it. Not so. At best the ground will be purchased via loans and the debt dumped on the football club.

That is the most optimistic scenario. Paul Fletcher always said the ground arrangements left the club as a dead club walking and this is true.

No one can seriously say the present owners are doing or have done a good job. Funding has been maintained for a period and that is it. What the motivation is who can tell but given that finance experts would not touch us with a barge pole I would suggest that the thought of a investor running over the hill with his charger is about as likely as Thorn living up to the hype given to him by many of the same posters.

Delboycov

Total misconception.

Point here is many people blindly said nonsense regarding Thorn being a messiah when most could see he was a pitiful performer at managerial level.

In the same way a lot of the same people consider that the "Investor" will come charging over the hill and will save the day. This is as likely as the ludicrous statements about Thorn were ever likely to materialise.

The term "investor" means getting a return. Only chance is ground purchase. Again people seem to think a bloke will drive up and shout "Loadsamoney!!" and just pay for it. Not so. At best the ground will be purchased via loans and the debt dumped on the football club.

That is the most optimistic scenario. Paul Fletcher always said the ground arrangements left the club as a dead club walking and this is true.

No one can seriously say the present owners are doing or have done a good job. Funding has been maintained for a period and that is it. What the motivation is who can tell but given that finance experts would not touch us with a barge pole I would suggest that the thought of a investor running over the hill with his charger is about as likely as Thorn living up to the hype given to him by many of the same posters.

In fairness I can't disagree with any of that and that's what's so depressing...it seems that with or without SISU we're fecked either way.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Several have today said they would rather administration than SISU pay the bill.

That doesn't mean they 'long' for administration; it means they see it as the lesser of two bads.

Just because you've childishly danced around SISU's debacle doesn't give you the right to misrepresent people when your strategy has turned out the way many of us predicted it would

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

Plymouth have had a manager from the 6/1/13! :facepalm: 4-5-1 wouldn't be the formation, it'd be the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

Only schmuck here is you.

Only a Shmuck like you would conveniently forget Thorn's previous record as a manager.
A record that made him the worst manager in the history of CCFC.
PS...when you play 1 man up front on his own, it ultimately forms a "Diamond" formation

(it'd be the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.) contradiction in terms there fella! Klutz!:facepalm:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Got to be honest even with his "glory period" I was never convinced. I think people see those 10 games through sky blue tinted glasses because we stayed up. Several of those games we got very lucky ( 2 nil against Watford for example), but i guess luck is all part of the game. I do remember sitting there with my lad at the last home game and saying to him i thought appointing AT would be a disaster waiting to happen

He got appointed, I tried to keep an open mind, to give him a chance. Sadly i was right in my first assessment. Yes he was hampered by lack of funds and off field shenanigans but that really shouldnt mask the fact that he was to a large degree clueless. He didnt have the experience or knowledge to manage a championship side, was like a rabbit in the headlights when it came to decision making, lacked authority, and a poor communicator. Sure he is a nice enough guy ........ but a football manager disaster.

He was a legitimate contender certainly in that he was available and put his name forward............. but thats as far as it goes............ we needed drive, experience, knowledge, strength of mind, leadership, nous etc.......... we didnt get it

Last edited:

Otis

Well said OSB. Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately many City fans got swept away with this initial honeymoon period and the respite from the Boothroyd negative tactics, but it seemed very clear to me that Andy Thorn was not a manager pretty early on.

In the end we just passed the ball about in pretty triangles and never got anywhere. It was all too akin to the days of Gary McAllister for me and what a poor manager he turned out to be too.

italiahorse

It's annoying seeing people suggest that Thorn was appointed as 'cheap option', but had an impressive 3-5-2 (W-D-L) record, so my question is, as stated in the title, was Thorn a legitimate contender for the job for the 11/12 season?

IMO, he was, we played well or the last 10 games picking up good wins and draws, so was the fan's choice, and I think I remember him being tracked by 'unnamed teams'.

We all know he turned out; reactionary, useless, rigid, clueless etc etc. but that's why hindsight is a great thing.

Just after your opinion.

:D

Should have kept Boothroyd if you wanted the cheap option

SkyBlue_Bear83

Got to be honest even with his "glory period" I was never convinced. I think people see those 10 games through sky blue tinted glasses because we stayed up. Several of those games we got very lucky ( 2 nil against Watford for example), but i guess luck is all part of the game. I do remember sitting there with my lad at the last home game and saying to him i thought appointing AT would be a disaster waiting to happen

He got appointed, I tried to keep an open mind, to give him a chance. Sadly i was right in my first assessment. Yes he was hampered by lack of funds and off field shenanigans but that really shouldnt mask the fact that he was to a large degree clueless. He didnt have the experience or knowledge to manage a championship side, was like a rabbit in the headlights when it came to decision making, lacked authority, and a poor communicator. Sure he is a nice enough guy ........ but a football manager disaster.

He was a legitimate contender certainly in that he was available and put his name forward............. but thats as far as it goes............ we needed drive, experience, knowledge, strength of mind, leadership, nous etc.......... we didnt get it
I'd disagree on your thoughts about his first 10 games, I was at the game vs Watford and we wasn't lucky. We also earned a credible draw at Norwich ( though they were already promoted) and 3 draws at Burnley, Derby and Reading we should we were unlucky not to win.

I sought of see what you are saying though, in those 10 games at times we were still struggling to see out leads at times and not winning games from winning positions

Users who are viewing this thread