• 5 - 7 out of 10

Votes: 58 37.4%
  • 7-9 out of 10

Votes: 80 51.6%
  • 10 out of 10

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

mr_monkey

Not a bad window at all, keeping hamer and O'Hare was vital and we've added some much needed championship experience (which is already working in our favour)

Also shows that robins was 100% correct to let max go as, as far as I'm aware he still hasn't got a new club

Sick Boy

Spot on. Would have probably got another first teamer in if the deadwood had been moved on too but can't have it all. Isn't most of the dross out of contract next summer anyway?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah I believe so.

Hobo

It’s a strange one. He looked perfectly competent in the games he played last year. He’s also got a bit of versatility about him. Robins clearly doesn’t rate him though.

I have pondered this because on paper he really should be a first team contender. Ok he had an injury setback when he first arrived. But since then others have been injured in our defence. So he (Pask) has had plenty of opportunity to stake a claim. I just wonder how much he really wants it?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm really not sure who is voting 9 out of 10. I think the results so far have given a bit of a false sense of security. Should we lose I suspect we will see a few one and twos!

In reality it is somewhere in the middle surely? We have a lot of dead wood lying around and the signings have been average other than perhaps Gyökeres and Moore.

CDK

An improvement on what went out only 2 loans striker wise a big plus signing gyok,waghorn ok and healthy competition, defensively a step forward if you add a years championship experience behind likes of hyam rose .
Midfield this is tough good improvement from sheaf hamer back on it,bright to still has to step up to the plate but when he does will be an asset.think we may need another James type player to come in the next window but very happen with the players in which makes us stronger than last season.
7/10

NorthernWisdom

I have pondered this because on paper he really should be a first team contender. Ok he had an injury setback when he first arrived. But since then others have been injured in our defence. So he (Pask) has had plenty of opportunity to stake a claim. I just wonder how much he really wants it?
He was given a chance end of last season, and looked... alright, to be honest. I don't know if this goes under the Mason heading of some disagreement with the manager, but it certainly surprises me we prefer DaCosta ahead of him, given how DaCosta has played!

The Philosopher

Best squad addition: Moore
Best signing: Gyo
Biggest squad loss: Osti
Missed opportunity?: James
Most controversial: IMO Waghorn given his age, perceived wage, the strikers we have, lack of realistic sell on potential.

KersleyDigs

Moore - Wilson
Dabo - Da Costa
Hyam - Pask
McFazean - Rose
Clarke-Salter - Drysdale
Maatsen - Kane
Sheaf - Kelly
Hamer - Allen
O'Hare - Bright - Shipley
Gyokeres - Walker
Godden - Waghorn

It looks a stronger, better balanced 23 than last year...

The Philosopher

Moore - Wilson
Dabo - Da Costa
Hyam - Pask
McFazean - Rose
Clarke-Salter - Drysdale
Maatsen - Kane
Sheaf - Kelly
Hamer - Allen
O'Hare - Bright - Shipley
Gyokeres - Walker
Godden - Waghorn

It looks a stronger, better balanced 23 than last year...
Good post. I agree. Some good balance in the squad and some good players with experience at this level.

At the start of last season we showed some inexperience in the shithousery department. Now a lot of our squad have got a year of Champ football under their belt.

The only slight weakness is Walker - Gyo. Unless Tyler beefs up we don’t have a physical type striker to cover. This is why I bang on about Max, late comer into the game, cheap wage (presumably), commitment to CCFC. IF (I a really hope not) GYO gets injured I’m not sure we could play the way we do with Walker as Gyo’s stand in. We’d have to play to feet and with through balls without the ability to go direct.

look at the last goal we scored: long to Gyo, knocked back to oncoming mids, Gyo pulls their defence wide, Godden has space to finish.

Hobo

He was given a chance end of last season, and looked... alright, to be honest. I don't know if this goes under the Mason heading of some disagreement with the manager, but it certainly surprises me we prefer DaCosta ahead of him, given how DaCosta has played!

Yes but Robins always says "I tell them all the time they pick the side."

So a lot is based on the last game and what they do in training. Fans judge players on what they see one day a week. Managers and coaches judge them over six days a week.

From what I remember Pask offered nothing going forward. Da Costa can defend and can put in good crosses. His problem is consistency within in the game. His positional sense is very poor.

Da Costa seems to be raw but enthusiastic. Someone who perhaps can be improved by coaching.

Pask just seems ordinary not really bad but just average. Perhaps they feel he hasnt improved since joining the club? Even Bakayoko and Biamou improved, not enough, but they improved.

Perhaps Pask's business is more important to him than the football? It is hard to say when you don't have the day to day involvement with them.

TomRad85

I'm really not sure who is voting 9 out of 10. I think the results so far have given a bit of a false sense of security. Should we lose I suspect we will see a few one and twos!

In reality it is somewhere in the middle surely? We have a lot of dead wood lying around and the signings have been average other than perhaps Gyökeres and Moore.
We've added some players experienced at this level including a new keeper who is streets above Coco the clown we had in the sticks last season. Also you really aren't acknowledging the most important thing which is keeping hold of our stand out players. Coventry City haven't done that for many many years.
The dead wood could do with getting gone, but in reality who'd want most of it. So we wait til next summer and improve again.
Edit. Although you are right in that its definitely not a 9/10, but you are being a tad dramatic.

Reactions: COV

Sick Boy

Good post. I agree. Some good balance in the squad and some good players with experience at this level.

At the start of last season we showed some inexperience in the shithousery department. Now a lot of our squad have got a year of Champ football under their belt.

The only slight weakness is Walker - Gyo. Unless Tyler beefs up we don’t have a physical type striker to cover. This is why I bang on about Max, late comer into the game, cheap wage (presumably), commitment to CCFC. IF (I a really hope not) GYO gets injured I’m not sure we could play the way we do with Walker as Gyo’s stand in. We’d have to play to feet and with through balls without the ability to go direct.

look at the last goal we scored: long to Gyo, knocked back to oncoming mids, Gyo pulls their defence wide, Godden has space to finish.
Let is go, he has gone and won’t be coming back and is yet to even get a contract in the football league.

mr_monkey

The same max that hasn't even got a new club yet 🤣 the cult of max is very very strange, all four of our current strikers are light years ahead of max in every conceivable way (apart from taking selfies with fans of course)

Also max really wasn't that physical either, take off your rose tinted glasses

mr_monkey

We've added some players experienced at this level including a new keeper who is streets above Coco the clown we had in the sticks last season. Also you really aren't acknowledging the most important thing which is keeping hold of our stand out players. Coventry City haven't done that for many many years.
The dead wood could do with getting gone, but in reality who'd want most of it. So we wait til next summer and improve again.
Edit. Although you are right in that its definitely not a 9/10, but you are being a tad dramatic.

If we lose another game he'll start a sleepwalking to relagation thread again, I hope he is a playing a character as if these are his real views he needs to get some cheer up pills

The Philosopher

I’ll stand by the Biamou opinion.

In other news Jack Wiltshire couldn’t sign for Como is Serie B.

Given that James was injury plagued and did well, is he, 29, with a punt?

It has echoes of a Stewart Robson scenario for those old enough to remember

Terry_dactyl

Yes but Robins always says "I tell them all the time they pick the side."

So a lot is based on the last game and what they do in training. Fans judge players on what they see one day a week. Managers and coaches judge them over six days a week.

From what I remember Pask offered nothing going forward. Da Costa can defend and can put in good crosses. His problem is consistency within in the game. His positional sense is very poor.

Da Costa seems to be raw but enthusiastic. Someone who perhaps can be improved by coaching.

Pask just seems ordinary not really bad but just average. Perhaps they feel he hasnt improved since joining the club? Even Bakayoko and Biamou improved, not enough, but they improved.

Perhaps Pask's business is more important to him than the football? It is hard to say when you don't have the day to day involvement with them.
Yeah, you’d think that it’s something other than his performances last season which have cost him his place. I’m not speculating that it’s anything too nefarious but like you say as we only had the snapshot of his performances. I think some of us are slightly confused that he hasn’t featured.

Liquid Gold

I don't know how you could rate it 8 or 9 to be honest. That doesn't give you a lot of room for improvement.

When Wolves got bought out and signed the Portugal squad, that was a top transfer window. We haven't done bad business really (with the possible exception of Bright) but we missed out on three of our main targets in James, Osti and Patterson, we have very little depth on our left side or in attacking midfield, and we're relying on two CMs that burned out last year not burning out this year and getting very few injuries in a backline containing a 35 year old.

I'm happy with the business done but if you're rating this a 9/10 window I think you're off your rocker. We could have done a lot more and that's why I gave it a slightly above average 6/10.

Also, this should probably go in the 'things that annoy you thread' why the fuck are all football ratings out of 10 within the 4-9 range. what's the point in the 1-10 range if 5 isn't average. Goalkeeper throws the ball into his own net twice 4/10. Striker scores a hat trick 9/10.

Terry_dactyl

He did, and if he was made of glass, then Wilshere is made of glass put back together with pritt stick!

FWIW Butcher brought in some good players you know. Just a shame about his managerial ability beyond that.
Yeah terrible manager. I’m trying to recall who else he bought in…Furlong? Gallacher?!
I remember Butchers first game he played and was struck by what a presence he was. He headed this ball and it seemed to go from one penalty area to the other. Think we lost anyway.
IIRC he didn’t really play himself that much.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah terrible manager. I’m trying to recall who else he bought in…Furlong? Gallacher?!
I remember Butchers first game he played and was struck by what a presence he was. He headed this ball and it seemed to go from one penalty area to the other. Think we lost anyway.
IIRC he didn’t really play himself that much.
Gallacher was Sillett. Furlong was Butcher, and he may not have had a career to speak of with us (dumped in too early because of his manager's determination to get rid of Regis) but he earned Watford a tidy sum. Atherton was a Butcher signing too, and Sean Flynn was one of his and although limited, if you consider where he came from (and the fact he did alright with Derby after us, too) he was a good pickup.

No money to speak of, but fashioned an OK side, if wrecking the spirit of the club with his other decisions! His only redeeming feature was he wasn't as bad as Don Howe!

We signed him injured I think, which is why he barely featured. One of many idiotic decisions in that sense, that we developed a knack for!

Sick Boy

I’ll stand by the Biamou opinion.

In other news Jack Wiltshire couldn’t sign for Como is Serie B.

Given that James was injury plagued and did well, is he, 29, with a punt?

It has echoes of a Stewart Robson scenario for those old enough to remember
Christ.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pretty decent. Ignoring any financial implications and just looking at ability.

FIRST XI
Moore > Marosi
Kane > Mason (and Dacosta)
Maatsen ? McCallum
JCS ? Osti (advantage is a LCB)
Sheaf = Sheaf (but looks to have improved)
Bright ? Kastaneer (should be an upgrade but when will we get to see it?)
No replacement for James
Waghorn > Biamou
Gyokeres = Gyokeres (but looks a better player. Improvement on Bakayoko)

O'Hare, Hamer and Dabo still here

U23
Rus > Young
Cashman > Bremang
Howley ? Bartlett (but hopefully will prove an upgrade)
Dinaga
George Burroughs ? Thompson/Williams.
Newton haven't been replaced, and we may have lost a decent prospect in Tyler.

So overall a decent window. Upgrades in a variety of positions and have kept our big names. Missed out on last years loans and we've still got a few players here who ideally would've moved on because they won't feature like Hilssner and Jobello and some who look unlikely to make the step up like Shipley.

7/10

Hobo

The amazing thing about Stuart Robson despite being a crock was the classy and energetic 60 minute appearances he put in.

His pre match warm up started out on the pitch with about 30 minutes of stretching before anyone else appeared. From what I heard his post match experiemce involved suffering a lot of pain.

He never lost the ability out on the pitch. It was just what he had to put his body through to achieve it defeated him in the end. His body had been weakened by surgery.

One of the classiest players to ever wear a city shirt.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

Didnt Terry Butcher sue the club for wrongful dismissal or something?........there is a dull barely flickering memory of such an event in my befuddled brain....

Terry_dactyl

Gallacher was Sillett. Furlong was Butcher, and he may not have had a career to speak of with us (dumped in too early because of his manager's determination to get rid of Regis) but he earned Watford a tidy sum. Atherton was a Butcher signing too, and Sean Flynn was one of his and although limited, if you consider where he came from (and the fact he did alright with Derby after us, too) he was a good pickup.

No money to speak of, but fashioned an OK side, if wrecking the spirit of the club with his other decisions! His only redeeming feature was he wasn't as bad as Don Howe!

We signed him injured I think, which is why he barely featured. One of many idiotic decisions in that sense, that we developed a knack for!
A shame when Atherton left, he was a very good player. Did well at Wednesday.

I remember the pink or the telegraph doing an article about Furlong when we sold him, saying what a great bit of business it was as we’d doubled our money…£200k I think? A year or so later went for about £2.5mil! Genius!

Users who are viewing this thread