War and Peace (1 Viewer)

_brian_

"...he was struck for the first time by the endless variety of men's minds, which prevents a truth from ever presenting itself identically to two persons. Even those members who seemed to be on his side understood him in their own way, with limitations and alterations he could not agree to, as what he always wanted most was to convey his thought to others just as he himself understood it."

- Leo Tolstoy, 'War and Peace'*

(*I don't read books, by the way! That's for geeks! I watch Top Gear and drink pints of lager!!!)

covcity4life

airplane-jpg.jpg

dancers lance

"...he was struck for the first time by the endless variety of men's minds, which prevents a truth from ever presenting itself identically to two persons. Even those members who seemed to be on his side understood him in their own way, with limitations and alterations he could not agree to, as what he always wanted most was to convey his thought to others just as he himself understood it."

- Leo Tolstoy, 'War and Peace'*
Every forum on the internet, in a nutshell.

(*I don't read books, by the way! That's for geeks! I watch Top Gear and drink pints of lager!!!)

Every forum on the internet, in a nutshell.

Grappa

Tolstoy had some corkers.

“A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction.”

“Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.”

“What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.”

“It's not given to people to judge what's right or wrong. People have eternally been mistaken and will be mistaken, and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong.”

Samo

Tolstoy had some corkers.

“A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction.”

“Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.”

“What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.”

“It's not given to people to judge what's right or wrong. People have eternally been mistaken and will be mistaken, and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong.”

I really like this guy.

lordsummerisle

"How much is the fish? How much is the chips? Charlton Heston had his vest on"

Profound words there, which I think we can all reflect on, and find some relevance to our own lives within those simple words.

Grappa

"How much is the fish? How much is the chips? Charlton Heston had his vest on"

Profound words there, which I think we can all reflect on, and find some relevance to our own lives within those simple words.

It's prescience such as this that allows the joining of the dots between the cultural and the horticultural.

oakey

"the good person loves people and uses things, while the bad person loves things and uses people."

Users who are viewing this thread