Walsall fans (1 Viewer)

Swiftlyon

What are your thoughts on the comments on that thread?

I think they are typical of a football message-board when a wind-up merchant from another club provokes a debate. There follows a generally bunch of ignorant posts because nobody knows the ins and outs of other clubs. Funnily enough CCFC's first contribution to that thread was to respond to a sarcastic remark about our club. We don't like our rent and we put the prices up for big games. But CCFC wouldn't have known that, because he doesn't know our club like we do, much like we don't know your club like you do. Doesn't make him a c**t or mean he shags his sister like.

David O'Day

I think they are typical of a football message-board when a wind-up merchant from another club provokes a debate. There follows a generally bunch of ignorant posts because nobody knows the ins and outs of other clubs. Funnily enough CCFC's first contribution to that thread was to respond to a sarcastic remark about our club. We don't like our rent and we put the prices up for big games. But CCFC wouldn't have known that, because he doesn't know our club like we do, much like we don't know your club like you do. Doesn't make him a c**t or mean he shags his sister like.

Typical? Some of them seem at bit well, no offense but a bit thick.

ccfc92

How much rent do you pay per year/season at the bescot?

Rodders1

I agree, as a supporter of said shitty tinpot club we gotta know our place, count our blessings (and indeed our fingers) and not be sore, sarcastic or ironic (especially about England's best ever left-back) towards the massive teams who have to slum it down here for a bit. Sorry, just sorry for everything, especially our shittiness and tinpotedness.

Apologiesski acceptedski - sorry for my poor polish

Swiftlyon

Moves around (market and index linked) but is around £400,000 and paid directly to the pension fund of our owner/chairman. Hence the degree of "rent envy" you see on there.

wingy

It was £400K into the owners pension pot IIRC when we were going through it It's also worth remembering a lot of Walsall fans were standing with us a couple of years ago when we didn't have a clue where we were going to play.

Kingokings204

Moves around (market and index linked) but is around £400,000 and paid directly to the pension fund of our owner/chairman. Hence the degree of "rent envy" you see on there.

That's not too bad imo.

When did you sell the bescott and how much for etc?

ccfc92

Ah right. So you're similar to us then. We pay around that, including costs IIRC, except to some insects.

Something to point out though, excluding our higher attendances, we actually have the 8th or 9th highest budget in the league. We used some of this budget to renovate our training ground, repaint/buy the club coaches etc. I'm not sure what your budget is, but we are on a similar financial platform IMO, so I don't understand the bitterness towards our loans/purchases etc from Walsall.

To be fair though, we have been targeted by many who say we are buying our way out of the league. On the contrary, we are using what limited resources we have to do the best we can. We are however, extremely lucky to have a manager like Mowbray, and Venus, who seem to be able to run a club properly.

Rodders1

Ah right. So you're similar to us then. We pay around that, including costs IIRC, except to some insects.

Something to point out though, excluding our higher attendances, we actually have the 8th or 9th highest budget in the league. We used some of this budget to renovate our training ground, repaint/buy the club coaches etc. I'm not sure what your budget is, but we are on a similar financial platform IMO, so I don't understand the bitterness towards our loans/purchases etc from Walsall.

To be fair though, we have been targeted by many who say we are buying our way out of the league. On the contrary, we are using what limited resources we have to do the best we can. We are however, extremely lucky to have a manager like Mowbray, and Venus, who seem to be able to run a club properly.

The attraction of playing at the Ricoh in front of large crowds will be a pull ahead of other league 1 clubs also.

ccfc92

It was £400K into the owners pension pot IIRC when we were going through it It's also worth remembering a lot of Walsall fans were standing with us a couple of years ago when we didn't have a clue where we were going to play.

We (as in the club/owners) always knew where we were going to play.

Kingokings204

Couldn't agree more. Certainly not buying our way to any league. Never have done never will. That's just false. We have a set budget but is increasing due to being self run now and with us Doing so well the gates are increasing and this and that so its going back into the club just as TM said it would.

We are on a similar stick to Walsall but we have a better manager and bigger attendances. On this we have the edge although you should pat yourselves on the back as Walsall are over achieving in 3rd place with games in hand and in football that's all you can ask.

Swiftlyon

King o kings 204 1990. We were skint following the move from Fellows Park. Some right dodgy firms that were involved in the move left us bereft and our "saviour" (his words) our still owner/chairman brought the freehold to the stadium for £400k ( I.e what is currently a single year's rent). He has it theoretically up for sale for around £6.5m. Possibly the only man ever to buy a lower league (tin-pot if you will) football club and make a lot of money in the process.

He's done some good stuff to be fair too. We always make a small profit and while he's in charge we will never have financial trouble. Cynics would say that the football team has to be financially healthy to pay him his rent so it is vested and self interest that drives the prudence. So, back to that thread, the turnover to expenditure stuff, the rent stuff, the ticket price changes are all juxtapositions between our two clubs, some of which get some of us frustrated that means when we see clubs getting a break from the league on FFP or on their rent, or hugely outspend their income, it sometimes feels that odds that are already stacked against a small (shitty if you will) club get stacked even higher.

pusbccfc

I have been on that forum a few times for the last few years and their views on the Ricoh situation have been interesting. It always seemed like they used it as a way to get level with us, when obviously they are closer to Nuneatons levels than ours.

It is just very funny that you see posts saying 'rent dodgers' etc, followed not long later by 'I <3 sisu'. Contradiction at its finest..

They now don't like the fact that we are fairly throwing our weight around, which is the same with most clubs in this league.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

I think a lot of the pre-match winding-up that goes on is due to a lack of knowledge about other clubs. We've signed up for the 20's-plenty, so Walsall fans were never going to be paying more than that.

I did like the 'spending the 1.2m rent' comments; cheerfully ignoring the larger loss made in a year at Sixfields.

Ah well, guess it'd be boring if we all discussed things rationally.

So anyway, how many weeks gone is your sister?

ccfc92

King o kings 204 1990. We were skint following the move from Fellows Park. Some right dodgy firms that were involved in the move left us bereft and our "saviour" (his words) our still owner/chairman brought the freehold to the stadium for £400k ( I.e what is currently a single year's rent). He has it theoretically up for sale for around £6.5m. Possibly the only man ever to buy a lower league (tin-pot if you will) football club and make a lot of money in the process.

He's done some good stuff to be fair too. We always make a small profit and while he's in charge we will never have financial trouble. Cynics would say that the football team has to be financially healthy to pay him his rent so it is vested and self interest that drives the prudence. So, back to that thread, the turnover to expenditure stuff, the rent stuff, the ticket price changes are all juxtapositions between our two clubs, some of which get some of us frustrated that means when we see clubs getting a break from the league on FFP or on their rent, or hugely outspend their income, it sometimes feels that odds that are already stacked against a small (shitty if you will) club get stacked even higher.

You are a similar story to us in some ways as in the ground situation.

Regarding the bold bit though, I do fully understand what you're saying. However, we haven't been "given a break" from the FL. We didn't have the luxury that Leeds, Leicester etc had. We still had points taken away like everyone else. We still had massive debts to contend with. We were TAKEN, not forced to move, 35 miles away from home.

Without sounding like we need a violin played, we have really had some bad times over the last 15 years. According to SISU, the club is now self sufficient, so basically any money the club generates is what's put on the pitch. This season has seen a rise in attendances, so in short, the CCFC fans are putting the likes of Joe Cole on the pitch. Not some sugar daddy. We are living within our means, and luckily we've managed to build a decent squad. We did have hardly any players this summer, only 7 or so senior players IIRC. Like I said, our main asset is Mowbray and Venus, without them, we would be in the bottom half/ relegation zone IMO.

Sick Boy

There are plenty of cringe momenta on this thread. It's good to see that they are more aware than many on these forum that club'd actually pay wages.

Swiftlyon

You are a similar story to us in some ways as in the ground situation.

Regarding the bold bit though, I do fully understand what you're saying. However, we haven't been "given a break" from the FL. We didn't have the luxury that Leeds, Leicester etc had. We still had points taken away like everyone else. We still had massive debts to contend with. We were TAKEN, not forced to move, 35 miles away from home.

Without sounding like we need a violin played, we have really had some bad times over the last 15 years. According to SISU, the club is now self sufficient, so basically any money the club generates is what's put on the pitch. This season has seen a rise in attendances, so in short, the CCFC fans are putting the likes of Joe Cole on the pitch. Not some sugar daddy. We are living within our means, and luckily we've managed to build a decent squad. We did have hardly any players this summer, only 7 or so senior players IIRC. Like I said, our main asset is Mowbray and Venus, without them, we would be in the bottom half/ relegation zone IMO.

On the "break from the FL", at the risk of sounding like one of those ignorant types I spoke of before, did the league not break their own rules by allowing you to play more than 30 miles from Coventry? Not saying you should be grateful or anything and certainly not on the scale of the way they broke their own rules for Leeds' golden share, but they broke their own rules to assist you did they not?

ccfc92

On the "break from the FL", at the risk of sounding like one of those ignorant types I spoke of before, did the league not break their own rules by allowing you to play more than 30 miles from Coventry? Not saying you should be grateful or anything and certainly not on the scale of the way they broke their own rules for Leeds' golden share, but they broke their own rules to assist you did they not?

I have to agree with that, the FL love their grey area rules.

However, in some ways, that "break" caused us more harm. It would have forced SISU and ACL (the Ricoh's owners) to negotiate a better deal for the club. Instead their "break" reduced our revenue, moved the club out of it's city, and more importantly IMO, caused some lifelong fans to turn their back on the club.

I honestly wouldn't wish what happened in them 14 months or so at Sixfields on any football fan, of any club. Unless it happens to you, without sounding patronising, you honestly have no idea.

Sick Boy

Apparently the league were conspiring against the fans and working with sisu.

Swiftlyon

I have to agree with that, the FL love their grey area rules.

However, in some ways, that "break" caused us more harm. It would have forced SISU and ACL (the Ricoh's owners) to negotiate a better deal for the club. Instead their "break" reduced our revenue, moved the club out of it's city, and more importantly IMO, caused some lifelong fans to turn their back on the club.

I honestly wouldn't wish what happened in them 18 months at Sixfields on any football fan, of any club. Unless it happens to you, without sounding patronising, you honestly have no idea.

You're right. No idea. Which is exactly why those of us that haven't followed events at your club as closely as you lot will have will pick and mix the bits that suite. For us, a club who won't spend more than 50% of its income on players wages, always sell our best players whilst having a chairman who is effectively landlord and tenant, we will be more prickly than most.

Enjoyed that ta. I'll be there next week. But let's hope we all get to visit Villa Park for a league game next season. If you think we're tin-pot, Villa would take it to a new level and we'd love it!

Terry Gibson's perm

If we were promoted I would be happy to see Walsall and Burton come up with us, as there would be Midlands derbies most weeks and on a slightly more selfish view we may struggle budget wise a league up so they would really struggle and hopefully take two of the relegation spots, giving us a better survival chance.

covcity4life

I am loving the jealousy and hate.

Makes a difference from sympathy or laughter

We're going in right direction boys. Up up up

higgs

THE only way is up now boys we have been down too long now is our time its tony time

no_loyalty

THE only way is up now boys we have been down too long now is our time its tony time

I can see it now, Tim Fisher trying to take all of the credit for us getting promoted

ccfclinney

Our budget is 8-10th in the league chris Anderson has said that aswell as tony mowbray as did steve waggott they all said we need to punch above our weight .. Wigan have double our budget. Cluesess fuckers they are

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not doubting it but how do CCFC know where its budget lies within this division surely it's every clubs most kept secret or is it easy to work out using FFP?

Londonccfcfan

Our budget is 8-10th in the league chris Anderson has said that aswell as tony mowbray as did steve waggott they all said we need to punch above our weight .. Wigan have double our budget. Cluesess fuckers they are

Our budget is pretty fluid I would say since Chris Anderson made those comments in November.

Our home average gate vs ....Gillingham, Doncaster, Oldham and Port Vale since then is an impressive 15k.

And looking at quick seats. the gates vs Wallsall already 10000 plus home tickets sold. Looks like 15k for Tuesday night, and could be close to 20k vs Burton.

All money in the bank!

Users who are viewing this thread