Waghorn Taveres (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

I really think Taveres should have come on tonight instead of Waghorn. Since he has been here what has he done (or did MR think we would get a penalty eventually and better him than Vic?
As for Taveres, he may or may not make the cut, but unless you give him a go how do you know?
I thought tonight was the ideal time to bring him on.
Nothing was working against their 10 defensive players, so maybe try some pace to get behind them and cross to Vic to get a proper chance and score.
With Cardiff happy for a point it was the right time to try him and see if he really offers something different.
If it never worked fine, neither did Waghorn but he will be gone at the end of the season, Taveres could still be here so let's see what he offers to the team.
I know many will say the new Ponticelli, but until he has a chance how do we know?
5-10 mins here and there will show nothing (many players have been shit in training, but been great in game time), either give him a go or fuck him off so you don't destroy his career.
Tonight, Waghorn came on, what does he offer?
We don't play him in the U21's/U23's whatever it is now ( so how does he get match fit and continue to learn)?.
By sitting on the bench and never playing how will he get better, or us learn anything about him in a match situation?

pusbccfc

covcity4life

Waghorn was shite. I too would like to see tavares given more minutes.

If he ain't good enough he ain't good enough but I don't get the sense robins has no faith in him full stop.

Waghorn hopefully get better with more minutes.

It annoys me how we always seem to lose our flow when we go 2 up tho. we shud be familiir with.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

If he ain't good enough he ain't good enough but I don't get the sense robins ha snonfsith in him full stop.

It annoys me how we always seem to lose our flow when we go 2 up tho. we shud be fnsilair with.
Think that’s right , can see him starting on Sunday
My lad says he won’t go if he does

SBT

It was unlikely to be a good day for Tavares when you’re up against a side sitting so deep, but Waghorn is truly pointless - it would have been better to lift the fans and bring on Our Fabio.

stupot07

If he ain't good enough he ain't good enough but I don't get the sense robins has no faith in him full stop.

It annoys me how we always seem to lose our flow when we go 2 up tho. we shud be familiir with.
I think a big problem is Robins reluctance to use his subs, which means that fringe players rarely get minutes, which is why we always look so disjointed when we make subs. Cardiff used all 5 of there's, we used 2.

Tonight Waghorn didn't play well, and I would have thrown Tavares on, but he needs more minutes to get used to the system and find some rhythm.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

slowpoke

Until Robins does business in the window Waghorn will be part of the 18 man squad as will Taveres who is no better let’s be honest.

pipkin73

It was unlikely to be a good day for Tavares when you’re up against a side sitting so deep, but Waghorn is truly pointless - it would have been better to lift the fans and bring on Our Fabio.
Like i said, even if it don't work atleast we have more of an idea on him. Never play him, (or U21's) how will he ever be match fit to show what he can or can't do. For me he is being mismanaged. His agent needs to be speaking more to MR and say, give us a go, or don't, but don't leave his career hanging on your lack of trust to try a new player.

covcity4life

I think a big problem is Robins reluctance to use his subs, which means that fringe players rarely get minutes, which is why we always look so disjointed when we make subs. Cardiff used all 5 of there's, we used 2.

Tonight Waghorn didn't play well, and I would have thrown Tavares on, but he needs more minutes to get used to the system and find some rhythm.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
100 percent agree

pipkin73

Until Robins does business in the window Waghorn will be part of the 18 man squad as will Taveres who is no better let’s be honest.
One is at the end of their career the other is near the start of their career.

Last edited:

PVA

There's some big centre halves in this league who don't like being run at or run beyond. We've seen how they can't cope with Gyokeres.

Obviously Tavares is absolutely nowhere near Vik's level but we know he has pace and he had to be the better option tonight than Waghorn.

Could even have taken Palmer off (who was tiring) to drop Waghorn deeper and stick Tavares on.

rob9872

I can't believe I'm reading all this. Tonight was not the night for Tav. He's ideal to bring on with his pace to get in behind tired defenders but tonight they sat so deep it wouldn't have been possible. The mistake imo when Waghorn came on was taking off Sheaf and pushing Allen back, it should have been a defender for 4 at the back and an extra man in the middle.

Brighton Sky Blue

Really? He’s probably one of our higher paid players since relegation from the Premier League.
In no particular order

Lee Hughes
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kyle
Leon McKenzie
Freddie Eastwood
Cody McDonald
Stuart Beavon
Kyel Reid
Chris Birchall
Arjan de Zeeuw

I could go on at some length but I think 10 is sufficient

Terry Gibson's perm

In no particular order

Lee Hughes
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kyle
Leon McKenzie
Freddie Eastwood
Cody McDonald
Stuart Beavon
Kyel Reid
Chris Birchall
Arjan de Zeeuw

You missed off Keith O’Neil.

pusbccfc

In no particular order

Lee Hughes
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kyle
Leon McKenzie
Freddie Eastwood
Cody McDonald
Stuart Beavon
Kyel Reid
Chris Birchall
Arjan de Zeeuw

Honestly, Waghorn has done worse for us than Cody, Beacon and Reid. Eastwood was better but he cost £££

SBT

In no particular order

Lee Hughes
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kyle
Leon McKenzie
Freddie Eastwood
Cody McDonald
Stuart Beavon
Kyel Reid
Chris Birchall
Arjan de Zeeuw

At least some of those players had the decency to either score goals for us, or bugger off to other clubs after a short period. Waghorn is one of this team’s top earners and does nothing - not a single club in the league would take him on his current deal.

Brighton Sky Blue

Honestly, Waghorn has done worse for us than Cody, Beacon and Reid. Eastwood was better but he cost £££
We spent a fair 6 figure fee on McDonald and released him in the league below a few seasons after being relegated. Beavon and Reid were on expensive contracts for the division and were both terrible.

Brighton Sky Blue

At least some of those players had the decency to either score goals for us, or bugger off to other clubs after a short period. Waghorn is one of this team’s top earners and does nothing - not a single club in the league would take him on his current deal.
We made a £2.5 million loss on Hughes after a single season and had gambled on his goals taking us right back up. Waghorn is probably in the top 20 I'll admit, but I think people forget just how many terrible signings we've made since 2001.

I mean I forgot to add Hilssner who's on a year longer contract and hasn't played a single game

slowpoke

Nore in mine but he needs games to be good enough
But you can’t weaken the team on the pitch just to give him game time, if we get a few newbies in and Godden fit I’d loan him out to a division two outfit or even the non- league below that then a make a judgement in the summer

Brighton Sky Blue

But you can’t weaken the team on the pitch just to give him game time, if we get a few newbies in and Godden fit I’d loan him out to a division two outfit or even the non- league below that then a make a judgement in the summer
He's only being suggested because he's just someone who isn't in the starting 11 we pretty much have to field. The truth is he was a reserve from Rochdale whose own fans were baffled as to why he was being signed even for development purposes. Aside from a well taken goal against PNE he hasn't shown much to suggest he's the answer to our problems.

That he would probably have fared better than Waghorn tonight says a lot more about the latter

SBT

We made a £2.5 million loss on Hughes after a single season and had gambled on his goals taking us right back up. Waghorn is probably in the top 20 I'll admit, but I think people forget just how many terrible signings we've made since 2001.

I mean I forgot to add Hilssner who's on a year longer contract and hasn't played a single game
I’d take Lee Hughes and his 15 goals in one season over Waghorn and his 3 goals in two seasons any day. Waggy will walk away with ~£1m in wages anyway. And I mean walk.

no_loyalty

I counted 3 touches of the ball for Waghorn and 2 of them he gave the ball away.

Users who are viewing this thread