Waggott (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I really do not want to sound like Rupert Bear here but what has waggot done to get so much popularity on here?

He and Fisher look to me the classic good cop bad cop pairing. They came as a package and still are.

His first decision was to sanction a new contract for thorn. Stupid decision. Second was to sign a host of dross players of which only fleck still plays and all others but Barton have gone.

Now he seems to have engineered a position so he is the main centre of influence at the club.

Most seem really happy with this. Why? What has he done that's warranted the plaudits?

On the football side he seems a bit hit miss. Management selection is now better but is that down to him?

Mr Coventry? No. Mr sisu? Yes.

Chipfat

FFS Gren, its the first time i have 100% agreed with you,, he is defo playing the good cop,, if JS was controlling TF to be bad she is defo controlling SW to be good.. He has gone along with everything Sisu have planned so far but is coming out of this like he just walked in the door....I do hope he keeps it up though as it may prove to JS she really has no other option than to work with those who hold control,, the fans of the club and ACL, CCC with the Ricoh..

theferret

Good cop bad cop? Load of conspiratorial guff.

I have no real opinion of the man either way, but I do know he is one of the most friendly and approachable individuals to have held a position of power at city for many years.

Should be judged from this point forward and given the benefit of the doubt, although I know some people need a pantomime villain..

skybluetony176

Good cop bad cop? Load of conspiratorial guff.

I have no real opinion of the man either way, but I do know he is one of the most friendly and approachable individuals to have held a position of power at city for many years.

Should be judged from this point forward and given the benefit of the doubt, although I know some people need a pantomime villain..

He's behind you!

;)

Evans1883

I genuinely dont know what to think of waggot , but i know what i feel about fisher .
either way lets see how the next few months pan out under him

ccfcway

I am almost shaking as I type this.....

I AGREE WITH GRENDAL.

I read on twitter this morning that since Pressly joined, Waggott has sanctioned 31 transfers !. That kind of turn over is going to get us nowhere.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Since it was always Waggott speaking through the media about the selection process, targets, planned interviews etc. and it was always Waggott who fielded question on the new manager after the appointment I thought it would seem apparent that he played a large part in the recruitment.

letsallsingtogether

What has brought this turnaround from you?
welcome to the real world.
As for what he has or hasn't done time will tell.
I have personally never trusted any of them.

I really do not want to sound like Rupert Bear here but what has waggot done to get so much popularity on here?

He and Fisher look to me the classic good cop bad cop pairing. They came as a package and still are.

His first decision was to sanction a new contract for thorn. Stupid decision. Second was to sign a host of dross players of which only fleck still plays and all others but Barton have gone.

Now he seems to have engineered a position so he is the main centre of influence at the club.

Most seem really happy with this. Why? What has he done that's warranted the plaudits?

On the football side he seems a bit hit miss. Management selection is now better but is that down to him?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I AGREE WITH GRENDAL.

I read on twitter this morning that since Pressly joined, Waggott has sanctioned 31 transfers !. That kind of turn over is going to get us nowhere.

Surely that can't be just incoming players, does it include outgoing players? Pressley released about 18/19 players last season. The problem is a lot of these 1 year contracts

skybluefred

It must be difficult trying to put together a team that can be successful when you can only take freebies & loans,
coupled with a few academy players. Waggott has done his best but has not replaced the fire power of last season.

Personally I would rather see 3-2 wins than 1-0 wins because it's attacking play and goals that get the turnstiles
turning. Not sure the managers new style of play will produce many goals from the available squad.

shmmeee

He can pick a striker and a manager it seems. Therefore he has two more positive points than any of the other Sisu stooges.

Case of the best of a bad bunch I guess.

letsallsingtogether

Was Thorn the manager.:eek:
He can pick a striker and a manager it seems. Therefore he has two more positive points than any of the other Sisu stooges.

Case of the best of a bad bunch I guess.

shmmeee

Grendel

Thorn was hired pre-Waggott IIRC, certainly before he came to the fore. He said himself that he should've let him go earlier at one of the earlier fora.

Just found this while I was trying to work out when he arrived at the club, relevant to the thread, a couple of Charlton "insiders" talking about his time there from their perspective. http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/146986-Steve-Waggott

Waggot offered thorn a new contract, allowed him to sign nine new players and then sacked him. Spectacular management.

shmmeee

Waggot offered thorn a new contract, allowed him to sign nine new players and then sacked him. Spectacular management.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Waggott, just suggesting why people might rate him above the others.

I think on average his transfer record has been pretty poor outside of strikers, and there's question marks about them the last 2 seasons. Robins and Pressley have hardly proven amazing long term.

Anyway, Duleiu <sp?> was Chairman when Thorn got his contract renewed wasn't he? Waggott was just there to "help with signings" (though if you read that Charlton thread, it sounds like he's known as a bit of a cost cutter, which may have been his first role).

Grendel

BTW, I'm not a fan of Waggott, just suggesting why people might rate him above the others.

I think on average his transfer record has been pretty poor outside of strikers, and there's question marks about them the last 2 seasons. Robins and Pressley have hardly proven amazing long term.

Anyway, Duleiu <sp?> was Chairman when Thorn got his contract renewed wasn't he? Waggott was just there to "help with signings" (though if you read that Charlton thread, it sounds like he's known as a bit of a cost cutter, which may have been his first role).

Thorns contract expired at Southampton and fisher and waggot offered him a new one.

wingy

I AGREE WITH GRENDAL.

got to be around 60 over 3 Summers,ridiculous.

Grendel

Hobo

I have questioned Waggots role a number of times on here with little response. Not to have a go at the guy, but it just isn't clear cut.

People have praised his signings yet criticised recent managers for poor signings? That has me confused.

i think you have to look at the various boundaries.
1. Scouting, talent spotting and sourcing.
2. Budgets and negotiations.
3. Who decides who comes in based on what parameters or other factors?

These boundaries are blurred at all football clubs, I accept that. But fans needs to consider these elements before blindly dishing out praise or criticism.

He has apparently negotiated us back to the Ricoh? Again the boundaries are blurred. A done deal was previously over the line before it was scuppered by Seppala, allegedly. Fisher and Labovitch had probably burnt their credibility in an on going media slanging match. Who knows how much negotiation patching up was actually needed?

anyway we are back home and I will content myself with that for the time being. However I suspect we are still mid chapter in this debacle.

shmmeee

The rolling deal was renewed - that's the point. It could have been terminated in may. It was discussed at length on here at the time .

OK, took it to mean it always had a year left. Otherwise it's just a 1 year contract isn't it?

Anyway, I really don't care that much.

Skyblueweeman

Mark Robins
Steven Pressley
Ricoh deal

Good enough for me.

WM

ccfcway

Surely that can't be just incoming players, does it include outgoing players? Pressley released about 18/19 players last season. The problem is a lot of these 1 year contracts

Lets give it a go and see ?
Loza
Manset
Donelly
Delfonoso
Ecclestone
Akpom
Slager
McQuoid
Jackson
Tudguy
Miller
Swanson
Coubiliy
Robinson
O'Brien
Prutton
Urquart
Webster
Seabourne
Johnson
Allsopp​

Who am I missing ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Lets give it a go and see ?
Loza
Manset
Donelly
Delfonoso
Ecclestone
Akpom
Slager
McQuoid
Jackson
Tudguy
Miller
Swanson
Coubiliy
Robinson
O'Brien
Prutton
Urquart
Webster
Seabourne
Johnson
Allsopp​

Who am I missing ?
Dagnall, Maguire, Pugh

theferret

It's a fair point though, that he can't necessarily take the credit for Clarke, but not those.

Can't pick and choose which are Waggott's choices and which the manager's depending on who's in favour on any one day.

I don't recall ever seeing Waggott swinging from the branches trying to take credit for anything. He will have just facilitated the acquisitions, and I very much doubt SP had players thrust on him.

Either way, I don't get how much digging some people will do to try and discredit somebody they have taken a personal dislike to. I don't really know Waggott personally, or understand what his role actually is. As CE he will now be a lot more visible and I'll judge him from this point forward.

There has been so much mud slung about over the last couple of years that I really can't be arsed to manufacture reasons to sling some more. But everyone else can fill their boots I suppose.

Waldorf

Whether he spots the players (which I doubt) or just negotiates the transfers, at least he has a football background, which is more than you can say for Fisher, Joy "I know nothing" Seppala, Dulieu, and the rest of the mob that's been foisted on us.

dongonzalos

He is a package with Mr Fisher.

They made a catalogue of bad decisions until now.

They seem to be finally on track

They just need to stop the legal action and stadium blah and work out a way of getting phased ownership of ACL

NorthernWisdom

Whether he spots the players (which I doubt) or just negotiates the transfers, at least he has a football background, which is more than you can say for Fisher

...although he and Fisher do seem to come as a pair...

tbh ignoring the obvious(!) the football side of things seems to have been relatively sanely run, so I have no great problem with either Fisher or Waggot staying as such. WOuld rather that than the new broom that sweeps in the Emperor's new clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread