Waggott: McGoldrick out of our hands (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

IT'S OUT OF OUR HANDS, SAY CITY

COVENTRY City will do everything they can to upgrade David McGoldrick's loan deal into a long-term contract at the Ricoh Arena.
But the club admit there is nothing they can do until Nottingham Forest decide whether they want to recall the striker in January or put him up for sale to the highest bidder.

McGoldrick's eye-catching form has made him a hero with the Sky Blues' fans, who again chanted “sign him up“ when he slotted home his sixth goal in as many games to clinch Saturday's 1-0 win at Leyton Orient.

But development director Steve Waggott stressed: “We can't start talking publicly about all the scenarios surrounding David's future because there are lots of ifs, buts and maybes involved here.

“His form in front of goal has been out standing of late and, of course, it would be great if we could extend his stay beyond January when his loan deal is due to expire.

“But, while we are delighted with the goals he is scoring for Coventry City, he is still Nottingham Forest's player.“

McGoldrick cost Forest £1million when he arrived from Southampton in 2009 and if boss Sean O'Driscoll decides he is surplus to requirements at the City Ground they would want to recoup some of that outlay rather than allow him to leave as a free agent next summer.

But the Sky Blues are not well placed to compete in terms of transfer fees or wages and know that the more goals he scores the more competition they will face with several clubs, including Notts County and Charlton athletic, already keeping regular tabs on his performances.

“It's out of our hands,“ said Gary McSheffrey, who played just behind McGoldrick in a revamped attack at Brisbane Road.

“Forest have sent him out to get some games under his belt and the form he's in at the minute he would probably be a good asset to their squad in the Championship, “His goal on Saturday was a gift from their goalie but he was in that area to be composed, go round the keeper and slot it in and you tend to get those opportunities when you are on top of your game.

“Since he came here he has got his head down and worked really hard and wherever he ends up they will be getting a really good player.“

UNCLE MONTY

Sadly we have no chance of keeping him. Let's start getting Cody up to speed now, we are going to be reliant on him come Jan.

Astute

If he wants to stay we will have a decent chance of keeping him. If he don't want to stay we have no chance.

theprince

Waggott will go on and on about "we are trying our best" "we are nearly there" "we hope to bring him over the line" "negotiations are going well" and similar bullshit we have experienced before. The truth is SISU have no momey or intentions of spending any, McGoldrick will want atleast what he gets at Forest plus a signing on fee. No-way will SISU sanction that. Our worry has to be who will score the goals at the business end of the season to keep us in this division !!

hill83

Even if he wants to stay he's well within his rights to demand his current wages, and forest are within their rights to ask for a transfer fee.

[sarcasm]Apart from those small sticking points, it's a done deal. [/sarcasm]

BurbageSkyBlues

Shouldn't this read

' if they give him to us for free, and he'll accept minimum wages, then we will be able to keep him......but we can't be bothered to make a proper deal, so we are preparing the expectations of our fans to be resigned to another post-Christmas free fall'

Do something proactive for once, Sisu, give us something to look forward to, some hope, some reason to believe in you!

pusbccfc

I honestly believe a Cody on form could POSSIBLY score as many. He needs a decent partner with him though!

hill83

Surely to freefall you need somewhere to fall from?
We haven't even stepped onto the ladder yet.

theprince

Cody MacDonald is showing us all why he is in the lower leagues, yes he can score, misses plenty too though. But there are obviously other issues, weight ? injuries, dare i say convenient ones at that. Last season it was "he has had no pre-season so what is the excuse this season ? Can't rely on him i'm afraid.

Otis

This statement tells you everything you need to know.

Waggott is only talking about extending the loan, which we all know won't happen. Nowt else. No talk at all about the possibility of actually signing the player!

So that's it then, come Jan he's gone. We're fooked.

We haven't got enough money to sign him ....... strangely enough though we do have enough money to buy half the stadium.

:jerkit:

What really pisses me off about this is we are going to be relying on Cody come January and with him not getting 90minutes on a regular basis he will be unfit and not as sharp as he could be. Yet again he is going to look poor and we will keep swapping the strikers around. Ok we need to field McG while he is here, but play Cody up with him to let him get a couple of months of match fitness before he becomes the talisman that he can be.

CCFC seem to have a habit of letting good players go to waste on the bench.

Otis

It'll be fine though won't it!!

We don't need his silly little goals. We are going to win 15 out of 31 games, be all but unbeatable and only lose 3 matches for the rest of the season, finishing in the top 6 come the end of the campaign. :whistle:

lordsummerisle

Waggott will go on and on about "we are trying our best" "we are nearly there" "we hope to bring him over the line" "negotiations are going well" and similar bullshit we have experienced before. The truth is SISU have no momey or intentions of spending any, McGoldrick will want atleast what he gets at Forest plus a signing on fee. No-way will SISU sanction that. Our worry has to be who will score the goals at the business end of the season to keep us in this division !!

I'm sorry prince, but aren't you quoting yourself on Hoffman takeovers?

" we are trying our best", "we are nearly there", "negotiations are going well", and similar bullshit we've heard before.

Otis

Wilko's sell A4 copier paper and the software company GSP do a nice little CD-Rom that allows you to create letterheads.

If only I had Hoffman's email address!!

dongonzalos

This statement tells you everything you need to know.

Waggott is only talking about extending the loan, which we all know won't happen. Nowt else. No talk at all about the possibility of actually signing the player!

So that's it then, come Jan he's gone. We're fooked.

We haven't got enough money to sign him ....... strangely enough though we do have enough money to buy half the stadium.

:jerkit:

and sack AT RS and pay their contracts off, sign more players in loan and have others on contracts not playing.

Excellent.

And the new contracts for a new manager and assistant/coach

Imagine how much money we could club to together with the wages from bad decisions

Otis

As we all know, they have said they have the money to buy half the stadium.

Owning half the stadium is only any good if you can fill it. Selling (or not signing in this case) your best players is not the way to fill the stadium.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

What really pisses me off about this is we are going to be relying on Cody come January and with him not getting 90minutes on a regular basis he will be unfit and not as sharp as he could be. Yet again he is going to look poor and we will keep swapping the strikers around. Ok we need to field McG while he is here, but play Cody up with him to let him get a couple of months of match fitness before he becomes the talisman that he can be.

CCFC seem to have a habit of letting good players go to waste on the bench.

I agree need a formation that allows cody and Goldie to play. Pressure will be off cody that yo Goldie.
Hopefully he will pop in a few and hit the ground running if the worse happens

As we all know, they have said they have the money to buy half the stadium.

Owning half the stadium is only any good if you can fill it. Selling your best players is not the way to fill the stadium.

Surely though owning half the stadium adds many value streams such as...

Concerts and events
Better return on food and beverage sold
Less or no rent

Filled or not this is money we don't see today ?

Godiva

Selling your best players is not the way to fill the stadium.

Is that the new sisu scam?
Selling players we have on loan?

(This thread is about our chances of keeping McGoldrick)

Otis

Is that the new sisu scam?
Selling players we have on loan?

(This thread is about our chances of keeping McGoldrick)

Corrected my post. That's what I meant. Not signing a player who we desperately need.

aodea

Dont see how we will keep him, unless he himself decides that he would like to stay, maybe go back to Forest in Jan see out contract and join us in the summer. Have a huge amount of time for him and it will be hard to be competing without him. He has scored nearly half of our leauge games this year.

skyblueman

McGoldrick is in form and is worth money - we desperately need to keep him but we won't - Waggot & fisher's plan is all based on freebies on cheap wages - it WILL Fail - it IS FAILING - but it will make no difference - forget him he will be gone

wingy

Where would we be without McGoldrick's goals?

Believe it or not PSGM1 did a very accurate analysis in a thread the other day ,objective too,get your head round that. Seven points worse off according to that and it may have been before Saturday.:facepalm:

Otis

He is the one single player who has shown any quality whatsoever on a consistent basis.

Godiva

Corrected my post. That's what I meant. Not signing a player who we desperately need.

We desperately need Ronaldo - if they have the money to buy half the stadium, surely they can afford Ronaldo.

Look, if McG is available for price we can afford, then I think Waggott will try to sign him.
And if McG can accept the kind of wages we can afford, then he will probably stay here.

Don't expect the club to ... again ... break the bank to get any player, including a goalscorer.

Monkeyface

We desperately need Ronaldo - if they have the money to buy half the stadium, surely they can afford Ronaldo.

Look, if McG is available for price we can afford, then I think Waggott will try to sign him.
And if McG can accept the kind of wages we can afford, then he will probably stay here.

Don't expect the club to ... again ... break the bank to get any player, including a goalscorer.

They brought the club, if they didn't want to spend money they should have done their homework.

wingy

I'm amazed we hav'nt heard any more on the Fan Shares agenda that was raised 3-4 months back ,would'nt a player purchase be the ideal driver for such a move?

covcity4life

fucvk sake stop moaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hes a loanee, hes not our player...wait and see wether we try to keep him to the best of our abilities or not.

we could sign messi tommrow and this forum would be just all about when his 5 year contract ends and wether we have plans to extend it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread