Wage budget equals success (1 Viewer)

Grendel

One of the biggest defences that people used for our catastrophic season last season was the fact our wage budget was so low.

Ian holloway claims today that Blackpool were promoted with a budget of £4.9 million compared to ours of around £7 million.

It shows what a decent motivational force can achieve in adversity.

Grendel

georgehudson

grendel, i don't think it was a case of defence of a budget,
more, a question of how it was used,
& it's all very well to claim figures, but difficult to substantiate them,
we are L1 because, imho, 4 yrs ago we decided that,
'speculate to accumulate' was not the way to go, that's how it appears,
over to JS for an explanation,
(reply to that Tim),
Clouting, Igwe, Clarke, Brody, all complicit, & there are others,
just thinking about,
Westwood, Keogh, Dann, Fox, Turner, Gunnarsson, Cranie, Bigirimana, Clingan, Cork, Henderson, Best, King, Jutkeowicz, etc., etc.,
still PUSB

Skyblue4u

Money doesn't always mean succes. Just look at our six finger buddies from the poor end of the M69. Truly gutted for them :D

Godiva

Speculate to accumulate ... or spend ridiculous amount on hope, dream and if only.

I wonder how much Leicester club owner have spent over the past few seasons.
Surely they have done enough to secure promotion if money is the most important factor.
Hired a reputed international manager. Drafted in a host of high profile players on ludicrous wages.
Yet, they may not even get into the play off in their third spending season.

There's a lot more to success than money.
Players who command high fees and wages usually have proven themselves.
But they are not good players because they are on high wages - they are on high wages because the are (usually) good players.
Money is not the best motivational factor - being in a successful team with momentum is much better.

stupot07

Speculate to accumulate ... or spend ridiculous amount on hope, dream and if only.

Surely they have done enough to secure promotion if money is the most important factor.
Hired a reputed international manager. Drafted in a host of high profile players on ludicrous wages.

But they are not good players because they are on high wages
- they are on high wages because the are (usually) good players.
Money is not the best motivational factor - being in a successful team with momentum is much better.

Spot on - we've paid way over the odds for players who's ability didnt match the wage we paid them and in some cases for them.

dongonzalos

Unfortunately it does.

They is so much evidence to show overall the trend is those who spend more get more success.

There are always exceptions to every rule.

That was not the major issue last season it was letting your best players go and not replacing them, not until a poor attempt when it was too late.

Grendel

Unfortunately it does.

They is so much evidence to show overall the trend is those who spend more get more success.

There are always exceptions to every rule.

That was not the major issue last season it was letting your best players go and not replacing them, not until a poor attempt when it was too late.

At least we now know that a real manager could have reversed the trend instead of an embarrasing clueless fool who could change nothing

We now know that statistically this was a real possibility.

What's AT doing now Don?

skybluegod

But they are not good players because they are on high wages - they are on high wages because the are (usually) good players.

I believe Leicester spent 30 million on players alone over the past 3 years.thats from a friend who supports them and then they have there wages so over 3 years that must be about 60millon? Then just to add more to that they have had 2 managers on high wages. Most of their players ATM are on 10k +

dongonzalos

I believe Leicester spent 30 million on players alone over the past 3 years.thats from a friend who supports them and then they have there wages so over 3 years that must be about 60millon? Then just to add more to that they have had 2 managers on high wages. Most of their players ATM are on 10k +

Are they a couple of points off the play offs?

georgehudson

i think the essence of this is that a careful strategic spend would be the way forward,
& not a parsimonious or profligate, offload of potential,
this, of course allied to being knowledgeable about the CCFC situation,
which, of course, messrs, Clouting, Brody, Igwe, Dulieu, etc., had lots of knowledge of;
can anyone of the aforementioned claim to have their fingers on the pulse of football ?
yet JS has, we assume, placed full faith in them ??
& still we're told that they know that they have made mistakes, & are trying to put things right,
perhaps those who are party to 'inside information' may be able to explain

TheSnoz

Those well known Bank of England clubs Walsall, Yeovil and Doncaster are doing a whole lot better than us this season. Tiny budgets and yet somehow punching above their weight. Their managers deserve some credit. It kind of shows us up, with our much bigger potential. Moneybags managers get too much credit, a real proper coach can make players better. John Sillett had that ability. Look how he got us performing, no real stars, just teamwork and coaching.

LarryGrayson

shy_tall_knight

Although we may have one of the highest budgets it is still no certainty of quality. Look at higher wage earners and the background to their contracts.
Wood - big transfer fee, chased by CC when SISU were still buying players, his salary would be high even at championship standards
Cody - SISU realised they would have to sign somebody after losing Marlon and ALF going to reading deadline signing, other clubs competing for his signature, paid over the odds
Sheffers - ex fans favourite, ex - premiership player, would have commanded a high salary
Bell - SISU demonstrating their lack of knowledge to give an improved and extended contract to a poor player that has been constantly injured

Those 4 players salaries, would fund 7 or 8 adequate replacements in league I

stupot07

Although we may have one of the highest budgets it is still no certainty of quality. Look at higher wage earners and the background to their contracts.
Wood - big transfer fee, chased by CC when SISU were still buying players, his salary would be high even at championship standards
Cody - SISU realised they would have to sign somebody after losing Marlon and ALF going to reading deadline signing, other clubs competing for his signature, paid over the odds
Sheffers - ex fans favourite, ex - premiership player, would have commanded a high salary
Bell - SISU demonstrating their lack of knowledge to give an improved and extended contract to a poor player that has been constantly injured

Those 4 players salaries, would fund 7 or 8 adequate replacements in league I
We probably need to lose them to meet the FFP rules before even thinking about replacements..

dongonzalos

If the yanks came in

And got a deal agreed to buy half of ACL

Then we lost Wood Sheff paid off Bell.

I bet we would not be far off the mark.

J

Jack Griffin

Maybe... we appointed a contract negotiatior who gave away too much for too little.

I'm pretty sure I saw something about CCFC wage budget last year being lowest in Championship, however.... I don't think I'll be wrong if I say that nobody (on here) actually knows the real figure for us or for any other team..

Users who are viewing this thread