W*sps impact in City. (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

Someone tweeted this & as I don’t live in Coventry I wondered if it’s more bullshit or is their a grain of truth to it.

It was in response to someone asking what benefit Wasps provided to the citizens of Coventry (other than buying the stadium).

They have provided jobs, set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire. Juniors, U23 team, medical, Cov College academy including degree opportunities. Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career, work with Cov RFC in defined areas. A proactive rugby club .

Anyone help debunk or confirm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mucca Mad Boys

Someone tweeted this & as I don’t live in Coventry I wondered if it’s more bullshit or is their a grain of truth to it.

It was in response to someone asking what benefit Wasps provided to the citizens of Coventry (other than buying the stadium).

They have provided jobs, set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire. Juniors, U23 team, medical, Cov College academy including degree opportunities. Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career, work with Cov RFC in defined areas. A proactive rugby club .

A lot of it is exaggerated waffle. The bolded line especially, Coventry rugby players have had Coventry RFC (Championship/Nat 1 still v high standards), Worcester and Leicester RFC to play for professionally. I say that despite my brother being one of talented junior rugby players on a pathway programme at Wasps.

Ring Of Steel

I can feel my blood pressure rising just reading that.

I’ve actually fallen out with long-standing friends over it. They claimed to be ‘Cov RFC fans’, but never went to Coundon Road or The Butts, then Wasps show up and they’re decked out in black & yellow talking about how “we” are going to become European Chanpions. They are just total pricks, no soul, no heart and I told them as much. Same for anyone- if you didn’t go to support your local rugby team but then started supporting Wasps when they turned up, you’re a total prick.

ccfc1234

Let's asses the claims:

Claim: They have provided jobs.

I am sure they have created a few but so do Lidl when they open a shop. On a city wide level this is not going to have any noticeable impact. They have also cost people jobs who relied on CCFC.

Claim They have set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire.

Another sound bite, a rugby initiative could be a small training session in a school or a mini tournament for local teams. Again not a big deal.

Claim They have created a Juniors, U23 team.

Am sure they have, what self respecting franchise would not want to tap into local talent?

Claim Cov College academy including creating degree opportunities.

So what people study so much rubbish these days I am sure they are sponsoring some courses for good PR. Again how many people is this going to positively effect?

Claim Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career

They had that by playing well for Cov rugby club and getting spotted and signed by a big club.

Claim A proactive rugby club

What does this mean in reality other than being another sound bite that appears to be 'progressive' and 'forward thinking' but in reality means nothing.

Wasps if this is all your doing for the City of Coventry I can safely say your doing more harm than good and the sooner you take your souless franchise elsewhere the better. People who used to visit the ricoh have memories of watching a local football club with their parents in Coventry, who in turn probably watched games with their parents. You have no history and its obvious to most you are here to make a quick buck. I hope you fail badly and fast, you opportunist unprincipled money chasers.

Last edited:

skyblue1991

Load of bollocks.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

Let's asses the claims:

Claim: They have provided jobs.

I am sure they have created a few but so do Lidl when they open a shop. On a city wide level this is not going to have any noticeable impact. They have also cost people jobs who relied on CCFC.

Claim They have set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire.

Another sound bite, a rugby initiative could be a small training session in a school or a mini tournament for local teams. Again not a big deal.

Claim They have created a Juniors, U23 team.

Am sure they have, what self respecting franchise would not want to tap into local talent?

Claim Cov College academy including creating degree opportunities.

So what people study so much rubbish these days I am sure they are sponsoring some courses for good PR. Again how many people is this going to positively effect?

Claim Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career

They had that by playing well for Cov rugby club and getting spotted and signed by a big club.

Claim A proactive rugby club

What does this mean in reality other than being another sound bite that appears to be 'progressive' and 'forward thinking' but in reality means nothing.

Wasps if this is all your doing for the City of Coventry I can safely say your doing more harm than good and the sooner you take your souless franchise elsewhere the better. People who used to visit the ricoh have memories of watching a local football club with their parents in Coventry, who in turn probably watched games with their parents. You have no history and its obvious to most you are here to make a quick buck. I hope you fail badly and fast, you opportunist unprincipled money chasers.
Forgot to mention they are also shutting down local facilities and stopping people using them.

usskyblue

Wasps indemnity clause is the reason we’re playing home games in Birmingham. The existence of which indicates they have concerns that the price they paid for the Ricoh was short of it’s true value.

A band of reasonably sane individuals (and myself) have been engaged in an ongoing Twitter battle against people with ulterior motives, who simply seek to muddy the waters and peddle falsehoods about the situation in order to garner support in applying blame solely on ownership.

While we all can agree that SISU have undoubtedly fuckedup on many occasions, it’s takes a special kind of naïvety and manipulation to place total blame on ownership for the current exile. As fans/supporters ...and indeed lovers of OUR football team...it’s our FUCKING DUTY to keep on fighting the fuckhousery that’s splitting our fanbase.

If you’ve not been to a ‘home’ game this season I respect your decision. You are no less a supporter than those that go.

Whether you go or not, we all have something in common. We love our club. Not the fucking owners, not the council and certainly not Wasps.

But if you peddle lies, withhold information, or have an agenda other than for Coventry City Football Club...

YOUCANFUCKRIGHTOFF

win9nut

What about the loss of jobs in Reading?
What about the loss of whatever juniors or U23 programmes they had going on down south?
They would have been lost when they came to Cov.
They don’t give a shit... they saw a huge stadium going on the cheap and the council went behind everyone’s backs (taxpayers included) to lure them in to save face against a hard-nosed SISU and cost us our future potentially permanently...

The coventrian

What about the loss of whatever juniors or U23 programmes they had going on down south?
They don’t give a shit... they saw a huge stadium going on the cheap and the council went behind everyone’s backs (taxpayers included) to lure them in to save face against a hard-nosed SISU and cost us our future potentially permanently...
More fool sisu for breaking the lease in the first place then? That one single action back then has led to all this.
Living in cov I never hear anything about wasps. I constantly hear about them on here though.

Peter Billing Eyes

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe the water was tested and the tapping up started as far back as November 10th 2007 when Wasps were invited to play their ‘home’ Heineken cup game against Munster at the Ricoh. I’m no SISU fan, but there is no question in my mind that the the council took a long run up at pulling the rug from underneath CCFC.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe the water was tested and the tapping up started as far back as November 10th 2007 when Wasps were invited to play their ‘home’ Heineken cup game against Munster at the Ricoh. I’m no SISU fan, but there is no question in my mind that the the council took a long run up at pulling the rug from underneath CCFC.

Youre a conspiracy theorist.

One mention of Wasps and this place loses all notion of sense and reason. It’s hilarious. I fully expect them to be to blame for the weather this time next year.

Skybluesince82

My take as someone who was fairly close to it all when they arrived

They have provided jobs

They have - but they have also cost them. They’ve made a number of redundancies since they came as things haven’t worked out as they’d planned and there is also little doubt the impact of not having CCFC match days at the stadium has cost jobs and hours as well, both inside the Ricoh and in the shops, working men’s clubs etc around the stadium.

Set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire.

Again, they have. One of their main partnership projects with CV Life sees them go into schools for 6 weeks then move on - based around ‘rugby values’. (This always makes me laugh) as Nick Eastwood doesn’t tend to display many honourable values.

They do camps, holiday courses, school work (so do SBitC in abundance), but whether that is worth it or not is really displayed by whether kids carry on playing or if it’s glossy one-off stuff.

Cov College academy

They do, but it used to be Cov RFC academy so they pinched that course off them.

Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career

So do all rugby clubs

This also doesn’t cover the uncertainty and upheaval they have caused with their training facility - Higgs, Old Leamingtonians and now Henley.

In short, some glossy bits but plenty of giving with one hand and taking something away with the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Nick

Administrator
Youre a conspiracy theorist.

One mention of Wasps and this place loses all notion of sense and reason. It’s hilarious. I fully expect them to be to blame for the weather this time next year.

Do people lose sense and reason though?

You still claim things that have actually happened are "conspiracies".

Fergusons_Beard

Who said that? It's a bit desperate at best.

Keep posting this as ‘The Truth’ too

0961c26669f47b6d0cedaad85350c777.jpg

russ15

Fucking charlatans. They are currently renting our sports centre and have been since the start of January. They are not allowed to use it because of the community use order, so it sits empty all day and night.The only reason for this happening is to distress the local community until the time when they think there isn't enough interest left to damage their grand plan. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about them and their work in the community, nothing will.They have even put 24 hour security in, they walk around the site as though it is stalag 13, not a sleepy Warwickshire village. They have left the astro turf pitch open until March 9th, although this isn't much use for most of the activities and clubs that use the centre. They are hated with a passion round here.

Nick

Administrator
John Stretton is one of the strange accounts used to push an agenda along with the Chris W, Tim K ones.

Adge

Wasps indemnity clause is the reason we’re playing home games in Birmingham. The existence of which indicates they have concerns that the price they paid for the Ricoh was short of it’s true value.

A band of reasonably sane individuals (and myself) have been engaged in an ongoing Twitter battle against people with ulterior motives, who simply seek to muddy the waters and peddle falsehoods about the situation in order to garner support in applying blame solely on ownership.

While we all can agree that SISU have undoubtedly fuckedup on many occasions, it’s takes a special kind of naïvety and manipulation to place total blame on ownership for the current exile. As fans/supporters ...and indeed lovers of OUR football team...it’s our FUCKING DUTY to keep on fighting the fuckhousery that’s splitting our fanbase.

If you’ve not been to a ‘home’ game this season I respect your decision. You are no less a supporter than those that go.

Whether you go or not, we all have something in common. We love our club. Not the fucking owners, not the council and certainly not Wasps.

But if you peddle lies, withhold information, or have an agenda other than for Coventry City Football Club...

YOUCANFUCKRIGHTOFF
giphy.gif

bradwellskyblues

lets look at the facts
1 currently being investigated by FCA over dodgy accounting
2 currently being investigated by EU about claims of being sold ricoh on the cheap
3 caused CCFC and HIGGS centre major disruption by saying they wanted higgs for training centre then pulled out
4 caused OLRC major disruption over land for training centre including pushing out leamington archery club to kenilworth and then changed their minds
5 have caused untold misery to local people in Henley over sports centre purchase including a wheel chair basket ball club
nice people to do business with

Mucca Mad Boys

To be fair, Wasps have 3 development teams from 4 different counties - Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire.

The claim that they have a U23 Juniors team is a bit dumb. It’s their national academy functioning as it did before the move, with players all over country playing. Doesn’t directly benefit Coventry - especially because most the players at that age group wouldn’t have come through in the pathways whilst Wasps have been here!

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Not as if Coventry didn't produce any rugby players before their arrival. Decent number of internationals including World Cup winners

Skyblueweeman

YOUCANFUCKRIGHTOFF

And the award for post of the year, goes to.........

Mucca Mad Boys

My take as someone who was fairly close to it all when they arrived

They have provided jobs

They have - but they have also cost them. They’ve made a number of redundancies since they came as things haven’t worked out as they’d planned and there is also little doubt the impact of not having CCFC match days at the stadium has cost jobs and hours as well, both inside the Ricoh and in the shops, working men’s clubs etc around the stadium.

Set up numerous rugby initiatives around Cov and Warwickshire.

Again, they have. One of their main partnership projects with CV Life sees them go into schools for 6 weeks then move on - based around ‘rugby values’. (This always makes me laugh) as Nick Eastwood doesn’t tend to display many honourable values.

They do camps, holiday courses, school work (so do SBitC in abundance), but whether that is worth it or not is really displayed by whether kids carry on playing or if it’s glossy one-off stuff.

Cov College academy

They do, but it used to be Cov RFC academy so they pinched that course off them.

Given local juniors the chance of a rugby career

So do all rugby clubs

This also doesn’t cover the uncertainty and upheaval they have caused with their training facility - Higgs, Old Leamingtonians and now Henley.

In short, some glossy bits but plenty of giving with one hand and taking something away with the other.

Agree with all that! Well balanced too.

The holiday camp my brother went on was in Oxfordshire and costs hundreds of pounds. To me, it’s still a very middle class thing. Again, this isn’t revolutionary as you had the Martin Johnson training camps, and other camps ran by Leicester Tigers and their players (like the Tuilagi brothers).

I’m not having a go, but this isn’t new because Wasps rocked up in town. However, there is definitely more visibility of these things since they’ve arrived.

shepardo01

Fucking charlatans. They are currently renting our sports centre and have been since the start of January. They are not allowed to use it because of the community use order, so it sits empty all day and night.The only reason for this happening is to distress the local community until the time when they think there isn't enough interest left to damage their grand plan. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about them and their work in the community, nothing will.They have even put 24 hour security in, they walk around the site as though it is stalag 13, not a sleepy Warwickshire village. They have left the astro turf pitch open until March 9th, although this isn't much use for most of the activities and clubs that use the centre. They are hated with a passion round here.

Yet again, this is not getting the publicity it deserves..... on the back of a complete reluctance by our local media to even mention it!

Russ, again, you and your Henley guys are doing more in a short space of time than the "Sky Blues Trust" to highlight Wasps undesirable business practices.

shepardo01

lets look at the facts
1 currently being investigated by FCA over dodgy accounting
2 currently being investigated by EU about claims of being sold ricoh on the cheap
3 caused CCFC and HIGGS centre major disruption by saying they wanted higgs for training centre then pulled out
4 caused OLRC major disruption over land for training centre including pushing out leamington archery club to kenilworth and then changed their minds
5 have caused untold misery to local people in Henley over sports centre purchase including a wheel chair basket ball club
nice people to do business with
And yet it all flies "under the radar" of the media and supporters groups...........!!!!!!!!

Ring Of Steel

Just had a look at a Wasps forum, here are a selected few of the comments on show in response to Robins' statements. Very condescending and nobody seems to have any idea whatsoever about the indemnity. That however might all be about to change when I register :)

"Does Robbins live in a bubble or something? There's a reason CCFC are playing at St Andrews and that's down to CCFC's owners continually suing their landlord"
"Typical myopic City fans not understanding why their team is playing in another City's stadium."
"Wasps have bent over backwards to accommodate the football club only to have it continually thrown back in their face. Don't understand the constant stream of people connected to CCFC who just say they want to be back at the Ricoh as if they had no idea why the current situation arose."

Liquid Gold

YOUCANFUCKRIGHTOFF
Did Neil get back to you? been over a week now hasn't it?

Nick

Administrator
Just had a look at a Wasps forum, here are a selected few of the comments on show in response to Robins' statements. Very condescending and nobody seems to have any idea whatsoever about the indemnity. That however might all be about to change when I register :)

"Does Robbins live in a bubble or something? There's a reason CCFC are playing at St Andrews and that's down to CCFC's owners continually suing their landlord"
"Typical myopic City fans not understanding why their team is playing in another City's stadium."
"Wasps have bent over backwards to accommodate the football club only to have it continually thrown back in their face. Don't understand the constant stream of people connected to CCFC who just say they want to be back at the Ricoh as if they had no idea why the current situation arose."

The ironic thing is that they never seen to have much of an idea what they are on about.

Wasps aren't even being sued.

They just assume everything negative that Wasps do is SISU or Les Reid making it up. When it came out all of their players were leaving it was just SISU telling lies, the cooked books and the auditors fucking them off was just Les Reid making it up.

They seem to be the ones living in the bubble.

Ring Of Steel

The ironic thing is that they never seen to have much of an idea what they are on about.

Wasps aren't even being sued.

They just assume everything negative that Wasps do is SISU or Les Reid making it up. When it came out all of their players were leaving it was just SISU telling lies, the cooked books and the auditors fucking them off was just Les Reid making it up.

They seem to be the ones living in the bubble.
They also appear to be very defensive at the very mention of us & circle the wagons to reassure each other that they are squeaky clean and everything is 100% our fault.

Users who are viewing this thread