Vote Them Out. Demo on Sat 10 May & campaign aimed at getting councillors to speak. (1 Viewer)

Gary.j

There's only one organisation who controls the club, that's who you should be targeting!

The current people running the club can not be entrusted with the stadium!

lewys33

This isn't for me unfortunately. I dont see what the council could do right now?

I would rather sit with pitchforks and torches at the ready after the result of the JR.

torchomatic

Or dismiss any evidence that comes out before as "being out of context", etc etc?

So we should blame CCC before the truth comes out at the JR?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
It is hard to comment on this without it coming across as a put down. Clearly we must all do what we feel to be right and what we can. GCBTR have chosen this way and feel it is the right way to go and that I understand and respect. My personal opinion is that this is a mis use of the democratic process. Certainly ask questions but stand for office on the basis suggested?

Yes I want the club I have supported for nearly 50 years back in the City in which I live but I do not see this will achieve it. Again others see it differently and fair play to them in their opinion and attempts they make

Who ultimately benefits from the success of such a campaign and when? I am sure the argument will the fans because the team will be back at the Ricoh............ but is it? The proposed end game seems to be - control of the council will allow it to unite the ground and club by selling it to the present owners on the basis of an average of valuations, which gives SISU something to sell to recoup their losses in the hope it will encourage them to move on. Or am I misunderstanding?

But the Club and its owners have said they don't need the Ricoh they are building their own in the Coventry area haven't they? Surely they have a plan and direction already and it no longer involves the Ricoh? But what about the economic impact of no club, of course there is one but has it been counter balanced by commerce that has replaced it at the Ricoh?

To me these elections are about much more than the needs of a football club and its owners. Coventry has far more issues than that. Where would the candidates stand on education, child protection, roads & infra structure, community, local planning, local health care, the council budget etc. How would the GCBTR candidates answers those issues?

One third of the seats are up for election. The council voted unanimously (labour and conservatives standing together in agreement) to approve the loan deal. Even if each of the seats were changed over to GCBTR this time round then there would still be a majority in favour of what was done. There may be a protest vote and no seats of course but so far petitions, campaigns etc have fallen well short of what you might think (even with some national support) so why would this be any different. The City is falling out of love with the team it used to have it would seem.

There are no costs in signing up as a candidate. However there will be campaign costs both financial and otherwise. Who is picking up the tab?

Yes question all and sundry that is what the political campaigning is all about. Those not presently in office wont be in the know as to what went on so can really only give platitudes. Those in office have been told by the Council legal department to stay quiet on the matter. Not saying the questions should not be asked but an expectation of a straight answer or any answer is I feel misplaced.

The facts of the JR are to examined 10th June. There are questions to answer certainly but it is a little bit early to conclude on the basis of skeleton arguments from one side that there is wrong doing. The "evidence" so far is that a council official may have not told a third party that there was a plan B. If true then it is also hard to think that he was the only one who had a plan B and didn't disclose it. Neither were illegal acts from what we know, but not best practice.

Calling on AEHC to do the right thing? I suspect that they believe they have. Certainly the clear opinion of the judge is that they were honest, and acted in good faith towards SISU despite as the Judge put it the "misplaced" and "unfortunate" terms of the allegations made against them by SISU

So in summary Rob - good luck but this is not for me

Houdi

When will the manifesto be released,in 3 weeks hopefully.:D
Maybe you could join forces with the Monster Raving Loony Party,if only to add some credibility to the campaign,as well as probably doubling your vote. Coventry is a virtual Labour fiefdom, and the only (Conservatives) opposition openly supports the Council on their stance.

lewys33

I was trying to find a nicer way of saying "what do you expect to achieve based on 1 policy" but OSB did it for me :D

lewys33

When will the manifesto be released,in 3 weeks hopefully.:D
Maybe you could join forces with the Monster Raving Loony Party,if only to add some credibility to the campaign,as well as probably doubling your vote. Coventry is a virtual Labour fiefdom, and the only (Conservatives) opposition openly supports the Council on their stance.

Yh I think the only real way would be to "jump in to bed" with someone else who already has the votes ....... maybe not the MRLP mind ;)

ollyservetta

maybe hope arsenal get to the fa cup ,they are on ourside ,hope the otherside feel the same ,get 90,000 posters printed ,and get wembly to allow ccfc choir to sing in the build up to the game ,now that would get world wide coverage .in my dreams if only in the real world

lordsummerisle

maybe hope arsenal get to the fa cup ,they are on ourside ,hope the otherside feel the same ,get 90,000 posters printed ,and get wembly to allow ccfc choir to sing in the build up to the game ,now that would get world wide coverage .in my dreams if only in the real world

Fucking hell.

fernandopartridge

Yet more coverage, the news stories in the Guardian, the Arsenal protest, the march through Coventry. None of it has achieved anything.

Neither party are interested in getting the club back to the Ricoh, all the coverage in the world won't change that.

Godiva

It is hard to comment on this without it coming across as a put down. Clearly we must all do what we feel to be right and what we can. GCBTR have chosen this way and feel it is the right way to go and that I understand and respect. My personal opinion is that this is a mis use of the democratic process. Certainly ask questions but stand for office on the basis suggested?

How can it be a mis use of the democratic system?
I thought the democracy was build on the principle that everyone can have their say, everyone can vote and everyone can run for a seat.

But as I said previously - this may put the clubs situation on the local agenda.
It may well be that members of the CCC have been advised to keep silent until after the JR, but that is only on specific details and events around the bail out of ACL. It will not prevent members to speak up their own opinion on how to get the club back to the Ricoh.

There are plenty of politicians who have started their career on feeling strongly about one issue.
I can't see why they are mis using the democracy.

Grendel

Yes I want the club I have supported for nearly 50 years back in the City in which I live but I do not see this will achieve it. Again others see it differently and fair play to them in their opinion and attempts they make

Who ultimately benefits from the success of such a campaign and when? I am sure the argument will the fans because the team will be back at the Ricoh............ but is it? The proposed end game seems to be - control of the council will allow it to unite the ground and club by selling it to the present owners on the basis of an average of valuations, which gives SISU something to sell to recoup their losses in the hope it will encourage them to move on. Or am I misunderstanding?

But the Club and its owners have said they don't need the Ricoh they are building their own in the Coventry area haven't they? Surely they have a plan and direction already and it no longer involves the Ricoh? But what about the economic impact of no club, of course there is one but has it been counter balanced by commerce that has replaced it at the Ricoh?

To me these elections are about much more than the needs of a football club and its owners. Coventry has far more issues than that. Where would the candidates stand on education, child protection, roads & infra structure, community, local planning, local health care, the council budget etc. How would the GCBTR candidates answers those issues?

One third of the seats are up for election. The council voted unanimously (labour and conservatives standing together in agreement) to approve the loan deal. Even if each of the seats were changed over to GCBTR this time round then there would still be a majority in favour of what was done. There may be a protest vote and no seats of course but so far petitions, campaigns etc have fallen well short of what you might think (even with some national support) so why would this be any different. The City is falling out of love with the team it used to have it would seem.

There are no costs in signing up as a candidate. However there will be campaign costs both financial and otherwise. Who is picking up the tab?

Yes question all and sundry that is what the political campaigning is all about. Those not presently in office wont be in the know as to what went on so can really only give platitudes. Those in office have been told by the Council legal department to stay quiet on the matter. Not saying the questions should not be asked but an expectation of a straight answer or any answer is I feel misplaced.

The facts of the JR are to examined 10th June. There are questions to answer certainly but it is a little bit early to conclude on the basis of skeleton arguments from one side that there is wrong doing. The "evidence" so far is that a council official may have not told a third party that there was a plan B. If true then it is also hard to think that he was the only one who had a plan B and didn't disclose it. Neither were illegal acts from what we know, but not best practice.

Calling on AEHC to do the right thing? I suspect that they believe they have. Certainly the clear opinion of the judge is that they were honest, and acted in good faith towards SISU despite as the Judge put it the "misplaced" and "unfortunate" terms of the allegations made against them by SISU

So in summary Rob - good luck but this is not for me

So I assume you saw Richard Taylor as abusing the political system as he stood just for one issue?

Astute

Or dismiss any evidence that comes out before as "being out of context", etc etc?

Who rattled your cage?

At least I am able to look at evidence and reconsider my views and not just constantly go for the easier targets.

J

Jack Griffin

After about 10 years of not bothering to vote I might vote this time, against any candidate Rob fields.

This is not the way forward, SISU are the main problem and anyway council elections are not just about the football club, that is a side issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

You do an awful lot of assuming.

Not really the scenario presented is that people who stand for election focusing on a single issue are not representing democratic process.

The whole premis is a bit odd anyway as the democratic process will ultimately decide in terms of who the electorate votes for.

Astute

Why can they not be trusted with the stadium. What are they going to do with it? Answer the question.

Are you saying that you trust SISU?

They like to use litigation to get their own way. That worry would always be in the back of my mind.

And the last comment was the freehold and nobody else to have anything to do with it. That would leave it open to be mortgaged to the hilt. Or they could then liquidate our club and get the stadium. We would be left without a club and no ground to start again unless we rented off SISU.

Would be different if we could have any trust in them.

Rob S

I've been called away to do a camera piece for Central News so phone-bound for a few hours but I'll go through some of the (excellent) points raised so far and see if I can come up with a few answers.

The best thing about all this is that it's brought our favourite angry-kiddie Twitter stalker back out of the woodwork :)

fernandopartridge

Are you saying that you trust SISU?

They like to use litigation to get their own way. That worry would always be in the back of my mind.

And the last comment was the freehold and nobody else to have anything to do with it. That would leave it open to be mortgaged to the hilt. Or they could then liquidate our club and get the stadium. We would be left without a club and no ground to start again unless we rented off SISU.

Would be different if we could have any trust in them.

What are they going to do with it?

sky blue john

Maybe Gendel, Torch and Co can get Joy elected she is already a patron saint of charities ?
It might be her best chance of getting her christian hands on the Ricoh !!!

torchomatic

torchomatic

Yeah, nice one John. Fantastic post.

Maybe Gendel, Torch and Co can get Joy elected she is already a patron saint of charities ?
It might be her best chance of getting her christian hands on the Ricoh !!!

Rob S

One thing to add is that we're not the first footy fans following a homeless club to (maybe) stand candidates for local elections.

Charlton fans had the Back to the Valley Party and Brighton (where I live) fans ran with the Seagulls Party around Lewes.

fernandopartridge

KCIC must be doing some thing as michael is on a SISU hate list. Also some members of the trust are also on it so they must be pissing off SISU. Have they got a love list, if their is one you must be near the top of it.

That's great then, pissing off SISU will sort everything out.

We measure a campaign's success by how much it pisses off SISU [round of applause]

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not really the scenario presented is that people who stand for election focusing on a single issue are not representing democratic process.

The whole premis is a bit odd anyway as the democratic process will ultimately decide in terms of who the electorate votes for.

Actually I said it was a mis use not an abuse there is a difference ....... and I made no premise at all about single issue candidates other than in this very specific case as it relates to GCBTR. It is others that are making the assumption I reject single issue candidates in general ..... a matter I have not actually commented on. Any candidate will be expected to have views on other issues, single issue candidate or not because if they get elected they will need to deal with them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread