Volunteering (1 Viewer)

kg82

Next summer I embark on the biggest adventure of my life when I take an undetermined amount of time (till the money runs out!) to travel the world! I've decided just before I go I'm going to volunteer in Ghana for 6 weeks. I've never done anything like this and I was wondering if anyone had and if so, have you got any advice?! Cheers

SkyblueBazza

I know someone who went off around the world with a redundancy package...with wife...don't know if he worked anywhere...but he's gone off to live somewhere kinda obscure. Still in touch with him.

Macca

Don t spend your money as quickly as an idiot like I would and come home in a week. Sounds like a very fulfilling thing to do, best of luck

Nick

Administrator
Sounds like you are doing something great. I would love to do something like this, just go to a country and play football with them or something.

Good Luck with it.

Next summer I embark on the biggest adventure of my life when I take an undetermined amount of time (till the money runs out!) to travel the world! I've decided just before I go I'm going to volunteer in Ghana for 6 weeks. I've never done anything like this and I was wondering if anyone had and if so, have you got any advice?! Cheers

Go for it - you have all your life after to jump on that old treadmill and as they say in Dead Poets Society "Seize the Day"

My brother suddenly, in 1965, upped sticks from Coventry aged 20 leaving job, family and friends, paid £10 and was on his way to the Land of Oz on his own in a ship and arrived in Perth after 6 weeks.

He roamed around the East, South and West coasts for a couple of years taking on dozens of jobs often getting into trouble because he was seriously patriotic but came through that and has just retired in Perth after selling his very successful fabrication business.

He certainly seized the day all those years ago and has never regretted it.

kg82

Immodium (heard that one!), football boots and Robins number - check, check and somebody'll have to get the last one to me!

You know this will mean that whichever division we are in next season we'll get promoted from, right?! Ther's no way I'll be lucky enough to be in the country when that happens!

Macca

Immodium (heard that one!), football boots and Robins number - check, check and somebody'll have to get the last one to me!

You know this will mean that whichever division we are in next season we'll get promoted from, right?! Ther's no way I'll be lucky enough to be in the country when that happens!

Swap you my season ticket for your trip then ;)

You will have a belting time. I volunteered for eight months in a school for disabled children in a township in Cape Town when I was 18 (free food and accommodation) and it was the best experience of my life by a stretch. Just enjoy it... I guarantee it will be a bit of a bind to leave after six months, despite the adventures which follow.

Users who are viewing this thread