Vinyl is Best ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I read the other day that sales of vinyl records are out selling C.D'S in the U.K.
I've kept around a hundred vinyl L.P's but can't play them as I haven't got a record player,but to me the sound is much better than C.D's and when it was said vinyl had had it's day I thought it will be back and lo and behold it has,but did it ever really go away ? Vinyl rules !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Vinyl was fantastic if it was kept in mint condition - and I mean MINT! If there were any slightest hairline scratches the album / single was ruined for me. As the past co/owner of Hits & Misses in Far Gosford St, even when CD's were at their peak, vinyl was still out-selling them at least 3 to 1, mainly due to the collectability of vinyl. I remember an Elton John Acetate 7" single coming in (the original factory pressing) of a single that was never released (I think it was called Dandelion or something like that - even rarer than a promo copy). Anyway, I paid 10p for it as it was part of a collection of normal 7" singles. I sold it to some bloke in Japan for £820. Happy days!
Luvverly Jubberly!

chiefdave

As the past co/owner of Hits & Misses in Far Gosford St, even when CD's were at their peak, vinyl was still out-selling them at least 3 to 1, mainly due to the collectability of vinyl.

I used to spend hours (and a small fortune) in there when I was a kid. Not on anything particularly collectable just stuff I liked. Flicking through racks of second hand CDs is nothing like flicking through old records. Used to love the old record fairs as well. All the dodgy live bootleg cassettes.

The collectability is the thing isn't it. In past years you had a badge of honour by having the early releases of a band that went on to big things, these days iTunes everything is available forever. The vinyl retains that collectibility.

bringbackrattles

Vinyl was fantastic if it was kept in mint condition - and I mean MINT! If there were any slightest hairline scratches the album / single was ruined for me. As the past co/owner of Hits & Misses in Far Gosford St, even when CD's were at their peak, vinyl was still out-selling them at least 3 to 1, mainly due to the collectability of vinyl. I remember an Elton John Acetate 7" single coming in (the original factory pressing) of a single that was never released (I think it was called Dandelion or something like that - even rarer than a promo copy). Anyway, I paid 10p for it as it was part of a collection of normal 7" singles. I sold it to some bloke in Japan for £820. Happy days!
Luvverly Jubberly!
I remember your shop Houch I went in there a couple of times was that around the time of the Army and Navy store up the road ? You're right about scratches etc on vinyl though and when it stuck it needed a nudge to get going again,but in good nick the sound was great.To me though vinyl is more about collecting these days,looking through my collection I've got early Quo,Deep Purple,Sabbath, and one or two obscure stuff.
I'll have to go on that Flog It programme see if they're worth a few bob ?

Monners

Just about to fetch the turntable out of the attic - we have loads of stuff fro the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Mostly new wave, heavy metal, indie with some old T-Rex and Stones thrown in (the last two are my brother's, but he is a twat so stuff him).

I can see us buying into the re-birth of the market. Use to try and track dow "rare" import stuff thinnkoing it would be my pension!

Covstu

CD's are as bad for scratching and jumping, the ones in my car are a right state! Digital is clearly the way to go but it is just not the same as onwing a Vinyl or CD.

chiefdave

The downside to modern day vinyl collecting is its mostly online. Stick something on ebay and whoever pays the most gets it. Gone are the days of looking through racks in second hand stores to try and find the missing piece of your collection.

Monners

The downside to modern day vinyl collecting is its mostly online. Stick something on ebay and whoever pays the most gets it. Gone are the days of looking through racks in second hand stores to try and find the missing piece of your collection.
It was all part of the fun. Often found stuff that I hadn't heard of in a partiuclar genre section.

Used to be a great shop in Northamtpn called Spin a Disc, and one in Kettering (name escapes me). Spent loads of time in those.

chiefdave

It was all part of the fun. Often found stuff that I hadn't heard of in a partiuclar genre section.

Used to be a great shop in Northamtpn called Spin a Disc, and one in Kettering (name escapes me). Spent loads of time in those.

There was a spin a disc in the lower precinct as well, they moved to a much smaller place over near the market later. There used to be loads of record shops, there was the one opposite M&S that later became a second HMV, can't remember what it was called, the HMV by the Cinema, Smiths had their own record store opposite the main store, Soundhouse (?) down by the church. Used to do a circuit of them on a Saturday morning then up to HR via Hits and Misses.

Houchens Head

Nice to know that people still remember Hits & Misses! I have a few pics of me in the shop.
The huge company HMV, tried to sue us once for copyright infringement stating we had used their initials (Hits Misses & Vintage Records) and we also used a cartoon version of the small dog and old gramaphone as our logo (although our dog was snarling at a steam-driven gramaphone!) We had to change our shop name to plain Hits and Misses and obviously change our logo! Gits!

bringbackrattles

There was a spin a disc in the lower precinct as well, they moved to a much smaller place over near the market later. There used to be loads of record shops, there was the one opposite M&S that later became a second HMV, can't remember what it was called, the HMV by the Cinema, Smiths had their own record store opposite the main store, Soundhouse (?) down by the church. Used to do a circuit of them on a Saturday morning then up to HR via Hits and Misses.
There's a store now in the Market that has a good vinyl selection as well as other stuff worth taking a look. I used to go into town in the 70's and there was a great record store where Woolies used to be which was not far from the Market Tavern if I remember rightly ? there was more pinching of the L.P'S sleeves back then than the records inside,as many were works of art and were nicked to be framed and mounted on walls !

chiefdave

You can tell us Houch, was it deliberate? To be honest that would never have crossed my mind.

There's a chap down here that's opened restaurants called Relentless and J's Italian, both with practically identical logos to the more famous versions. He's had legal action taken against him and has somehow managed to get them to pay for a refurb as part of him agreeing to change the name!

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Used to go in Hits and Misses all the time happy days. Last year went to Frank Harveys and in a moment of madness spentthree grand on a seperates system finally got my hands on a Rega deck,now listen to my old lps and bought some new ones,listen to a cd then listen to the same album on vinyl ,no comparison much richer and deeper on vinyl scratches and all.

Grendel

Used to go in Hits and Misses all the time happy days. Last year went to Frank Harveys and in a moment of madness spentthree grand on a seperates system finally got my hands on a Rega deck,now listen to my old lps and bought some new ones,listen to a cd then listen to the same album on vinyl ,no comparison much richer and deeper on vinyl scratches and all.

Frank Harvey - well we have something in common. Yeah I've owned a couple of Rega turntables and they never let you down.

Grendel

Always wanted one,made a bit of a mistake getting Q speakers should have gone for my first choice Mission. They are also extending their vinyl selection so I hear.

Yea I had mission speakers and a denon amp. I'm looking at something else now that's had rave reviews on the turntable side but they are not a dealer for them.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Yea I had mission speakers and a denon amp. I'm looking at something else now that's had rave reviews on the turntable side but they are not a dealer for them.

Went to a shop in London listened to various combinations Rega seemed better than some that were £500 more. In the future just going to upgrade speakers first then amp.

musicmanskyblue

There's a store now in the Market that has a good vinyl selection as well as other stuff worth taking a look. I used to go into town in the 70's and there was a great record store where Woolies used to be which was not far from the Market Tavern if I remember rightly ? there was more pinching of the L.P'S sleeves back then than the records inside,as many were works of art and were nicked to be framed and mounted on walls !

Was That shop called "Jill Hanson's"?.. Spent a lot of time in there...

derbyskyblue

3 grand, fookin ell, i got a mint seventies music centre from e bay for peanuts, anyone wanting to get their vinyl down from the loft should have a look on there.

Grendel

3 grand, fookin ell, i got a mint seventies music centre from e bay for peanuts, anyone wanting to get their vinyl down from the loft should have a look on there.

You don't get a decent sound unless you invest. The "needle" alone has to be £200 or the whole thing is a waste of time.

Nick

Administrator
Christ.

Does the sound coming out sound much different to a high quality file on a computer through a sound system for example?

Grendel

Christ.

Does the sound coming out sound much different to a high quality file on a computer through a sound system for example?

Yes it's much better.

musicmanskyblue

Christ.

Hey Nick..

Do You mean MP3's and such like?.. I guess Mp3 is a convienient format but sounds awful in comparison to vinyl.. Mp3's are very compressed and so much frequency is lost. Even CD sounds better than Mp3 etc but nothing beats the warmth of vinyl..

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Christ.

I have albums I've had for years when I listened to them om my new system the difference is amazing its almost you're listening to a different album.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Hey Nick..

Do You mean MP3's and such like?.. I guess Mp3 is a convienient format but sounds awful in comparison to vinyl.. Mp3's are very compressed and so much frequency is lost. Even CD sounds better than Mp3 etc but nothing beats the warmth of vinyl..

Vinyl is a more natural sound your brain does not listen in digital plus digital is compressed vinyl is expanded

Grendel

I've just realized I'm agreeing with Grendel:eek:;)

The only small self contained unit that delivers anything worth while in terms of sound is the top range ruark (formally vita) top range unit. It's git a CD player MP3 and iPod connectivity and it's really good. The downside is the most annoying remote control
System known to man.
It's a shame as for £500 it's actually really good.

bringbackrattles

The appeal with vinyl is not only the sound quality but it's tactile and when you got a great sleeve as well you felt you had just bought a collecters item. Houch is spot on I reckon though it has to be in mint condition,and if it is I personally think it's the best.

Grendel

The appeal with vinyl is not only the sound quality but it's tactile and when you got a great sleeve as well you felt you had just bought a collecters item. Houch is spot on I reckon though it has to be in mint condition,and if it is I personally think it's the best.

Of the many pathetic and childish things I've done in my life the worst involved my rega mission and Denon stack.

Many years ago my next door neighbours were away and my wife and kids were on holiday as I had to work. I came home late and the next door teenage kids were left on their own and were playing god awful shit music in the garden.

After several drinks I staggered out and set the system up on the patio.

Full volume No Sleep To Hammersmith bought a swift end to their fun.

Johnnythespider

My brother in law has just given me a Denon amp, tape deck and CD player but has kept his turntable with his new system. Can anyone recommend a good turntable for no more than £250, or should I look to go second hand for something better.

Houchens Head

I had the original first issue vinyl album press of Tyrannosaurus Rex, "Unicorn", (later to be shortened to T. Rex) which I had nicked from me many years ago. One of my absolute favourite albums. Gutted for years, I searched for a decent copy but couldn't find one, then I managed to track down a CD of the album. It's okay, but absolutely nothing on the original vinyl album. Just doesn't do it justice at all. Let's face it, vinyl will always be best.

eastwoodsdustman

My brother in law has just given me a Denon amp, tape deck and CD player but has kept his turntable with his new system. Can anyone recommend a good turntable for no more than £250, or should I look to go second hand for something better.

I'd go for a second hand Rega on Ebay. Just be careful with the cartridge as you may need a preamp depending on the amplifier you have. I have a Rega Planar 2 with a moving coil cartridge. When my Arcam amp blew I went for an Audiolab 8000 amp as it would take either moving coil or moving magnet cartridge.
I've been buying vinyl again for the last 7/8 years and the new heavier weight vinyl sounds even better than the older stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread