View from a Wasps fan (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

Interestingly the councillors were banging on about the Ricoh always being planned as a two franchise sport development.

Also the council have a curious obsession with property development hence their pathetic attempt to fawn over Haskell.

Other ex board members have stated the council demanding the club build hotels and other complexes in return for the ground.

So I suspect matching the actual bid would still have meant no

Curios obsession with property development. I would think regeneration of the city would be part of their duty to the city not a curious obsession. Unless of course you believe that the Ricoh site should still be an abandoned Gas Works?

The club wouldn't have built jack. Just attracted the right people to do the development of the remaining land. If you've been astute enough to negotiate a 250year lease on that land you can offer a long lease to whoever is going to develop that land. With a train link about to be built I would suggest that is an easy sell and way of getting a quick return on your initial investment.

I love the way ex board members word is all of a sudden gospel to you.

And finally. For someone who is apparently doing million dollar deals on a daily basis on the phone I would have expected you to realise that if you don't ask you don't get.

Last edited:

Astute

Take the sport aspect out of it and the development side of it is a good thing for Coventry as a city. Hopefully there ends up being a few more boozers.

Would be great to be able to do a pub crawl on the way to home games again like we used to be able to.

Grendel

Curios obsession with property development. I would think regeneration of the city would be part of their duty to the city not a curious obsession. Unless of course you believe that the Ricoh site should still be an abandoned Gas Works?

The club wouldn't have built jack. Just attracted the right people to do the development of the remaining land. If you've been astute enough to negotiate a 250year lease on that land you can offer a long lease to whoever is going to develop that land. With a train link about to be built I would suggest that is an easy sell and way of getting a quick return on your initial investment.

I love the way ex board members word is all of a sudden gospel to you.

And finally. For someone who is apparently doing million dollar deals on a daily basis on the phone I would have expected you to realise that if you don't ask you don't get.

Pathetic response that would do sky blue John proud.

The Gentleman

This very detailed and well-researched Wasps forum post:
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s96.htm?98,14932234

...influenced and informed this Rugby Blog post:
http://www.therugbyblog.com/was-richardsons-wasps-takeover-just-a-step-on-the-road-to-the-ricoh

Short version: They are concerned that their owner is using Wasps to leverage a Ricoh property development deal and there's a lot of secrecy, offshore ownership and letting down of fans. Sound familiar?!

Sure does Rob, when do we get to hear that you've met the owner and have jumped into bed with him? ;)

P.S I won't tell Joy!

Monners

People making money for secret invertors on the backs of local communities - mmm; and with compliant Local Authority hawking land and assets around, at the expense of local communities. This is the way of the world at the moment - all about making money - nothing else matters! Not just CCC, Sisu/Wasp types either. I have had first hand experience of this with Northamptonshire County Council for example.

And even if Sisu had done this over their tenure of the Club, would the eventual outcome have benefitted CCFC through offering a sustainable future? Probably not; nor Haskell et al either.

PUSB (whatever that means from today onwards)

skybluetony176

Any news from Joy yet Rob? Sorry to put it on you but you're the nearest thing we have to a SISU direct line on here and as it seems there is still an opportunity to buy into the Ricoh I'd like to know her take on that.

Grendel

Any news from Joy yet Rob? Sorry to put it on you but you're the nearest thing we have to a SISU direct line on here and as it seems there is still an opportunity to buy into the Ricoh I'd like to know her take on that.

There is no opportunity.

Grendel

Grendel

So where do we go from here Grendel?

Court action claiming sisu / otium have the benefucial rights of CCFC ltd

That's the best hope to stop this nonsense

tbh444

Saw something earlier that the vast majority of current wasps fans live in Wycombe or thereabouts - i.e. very few actually travel from London - doesn't this mean they are already a franchise club along the lines of MK Dons? How many people would kick up a fuss if MK Dons decided to move on again, I'm guessing there'd be limited sympathy for their current fanbase... which doesn't make it right of course - I predict these owners are making a big mistake anyway, there will be bugger all fanbase or interest in coventry and they are far more likely to go bankrupt than make a tidy profit as the article suggested... where that would leave ACL who knows, probably with some dodgy creditor

chiefdave

Saw mention on the Wasps forum about how there used to be two clubs that made up Wasps but they were split in the 90s and it's the new company that was split off that has since moved around. God knows what that's all about, not sure how you can split a club in two!

NorthernWisdom

Saw mention on the Wasps forum about how there used to be two clubs that made up Wasps but they were split in the 90s and it's the new company that was split off that has since moved around. God knows what that's all about, not sure how you can split a club in two!

When Rugby turned professional they set up a professional arm and an amateur arm.

Users who are viewing this thread