Victims Of Our Own Success? (1 Viewer)

st john

We seem to be victims of our own success in the first 2 games. We won them with what was essentially a defensive setup with 2 deep midfielders, when Notts C and Grimsby were still not settled into their best formation / team / tactics.
Notts C would not have expected Jones to do what he did, since then he has been taken more seriously by the opposition.
Having kept 2 clean sheets and scored 5 goals, we kept an unchanged team and formation into the next game, why would you change a team with the record we had? but in hindsight it's too defensive, and needs changes in midfield. We made 3 changes yesterday, but this didn't help our playing style, while Duck & Andreu have not really played much for us at all, so affecting our onfield understanding.
Also it seems that the defence may have lost confidence in the keeper so that needs addressing as well.
Now 4 games in, other teams are settling down and finding their best team / formation, and learning about how their opposition are set up to play.
Maybe yesterday's lack of commitment and desire from some of the team is a confidence thing, but other than that I believe we have the players to put the things right.
So no panic I don't think.
Its up to MR to work on a different plan this week.

hill83

Success
giphy.gif

TWO GAMES

And now it's been another TWO GAMES

It's a long season. Things will be clearer and settle down in time.

st john

Success
giphy.gif

TWO GAMES

And now it's been another TWO GAMES

It's a long season. Things will be clearer and settle down in time.
Have you read what I wrote?
no goals conceded, 5 scored in 2 games and top of the league.
I would call that 2 very successful results

Gazolba

We have to expect other teams to be watching the videos of our previous games and planning to counter our tactics.
So we need to be flexible and have more than one plan, and we need substitutes who can come on and have a real impact on the game.
We can't just keep employing the same tactics game after game.

Ashdown

So many strange and unexpected results happening. I would not have given Crawley a prayer at Swindon and who would have thought Newport could thump four past Chesterfield after winning at the Ricoh. We are victims of having a complete new team again, even the manager is not sure of his ideal 11 yet. I do find it funny that fans are posting that 'This team should be doing better', why ? Are they really that good ?
42 games to go, we need to get the basics right as they say. The keeper needs to re gain his mojo, The Midfield have to cut out the runners but also provide some creativity which has been lacking in the last two games and we need to play to the strengths of the strikers. A guy up front with pace always creates mayhem, its no good having two slow and cumbersome midgets in this league but time will tell.
Our main hope has to be for Joy and Tim and Co. to feck off though as they will do nothing for the football club !

RegTheDonk

I think its a bit unfair to knock St John - no we can't measure "success" after two games, but with the summer signings being done in a quick and professional manner making us sit up a bit and be optimistic, plus a great first couple of results, that really made some of us think wow we're on fire we can do it this year. This attitude will be mirrored in the dressing room, perhaps a bit of complacency creeps in, then the thud of reality hits. Its this loftiness which perhaps has made us victims of our own success.

Covstu

I think it shows we are going to have a long season filled with ups and downs. Consistency is the key and the ability to grind out results and at the moment we haven't got that. We are going to struggle to score goals and I think it's something we need to fill in January

Grendel

We are a victim of our own expectation.

We are in terms of crowd and catchment area by far the biggest club and having been to Wembley recently the expectancy is to walk every game.

It's similar to the first championship season - it wasn't so obvious in league one as we had that tosser thorn in charge and that at least reduced expectation.

Grendel

Expectation must have been pretty high as he was sacked after 3 unbeaten games.

One of which was a draw v Yeovil

No it wasn't as he was a useless pile of shite.

st john

I think its a bit unfair to knock St John - no we can't measure "success" after two games, but with the summer signings being done in a quick and professional manner making us sit up a bit and be optimistic, plus a great first couple of results, that really made some of us think wow we're on fire we can do it this year. This attitude will be mirrored in the dressing room, perhaps a bit of complacency creeps in, then the thud of reality hits. Its this loftiness which perhaps has made us victims of our own success.
I think most people would understand what I was saying. There is absolutely no point at all ridiculing people just because they have a different point of view.

ajsccfc

That game where we conceded a 2-0 lead over Bury though, I've seen defeats that have hurt less than that

ajsccfc

Although there have been loads of them in recent times, that was one game I remember in particular feeling we're hopeless. Two Bristol City hammerings at the Ricoh gave me the same too, one was the last few days of Boothroyd and another when Adebola scored for them. Absolute clown college performances both of them.

Nick

Administrator
Although there have been loads of them in recent times, that was one game I remember in particular feeling we're hopeless. Two Bristol City hammerings at the Ricoh gave me the same too, one was the last few days of Boothroyd and another when Adebola scored for them. Absolute clown college performances both of them.

It's the ones where every fan in the ground knows what is going to happen and that we need a change and the manager just stands there watching. Then when they score he makes the change.

oucho

Victims of our own success?.. what success...
Must say that was my reaction too....if any club is definitely not a "victim of its own success" it's CCFC

skybluegod

Wasn't the excuse at the time, that he had promised the board a 2 points per game average... so after 3 games and 3 points he hadn't met it, so he was fired?

Sky Blue Harry H

Wasn't the excuse at the time, that he had promised the board a 2 points per game average... so after 3 games and 3 points he hadn't met it, so he was fired?

If that was so, they could have sacked him if he didn't win the first game?

Users who are viewing this thread