Victim of a Plague of Ghosts? (1 Viewer)

asiaskyblues

Whilst I can't argue that Mowbray is at least partly responsible, I can't say I'd like him to get the sack. The first half of this season was the most exciting for years, and of the 30 years I've been going, I've never felt so optimistic. Chipfat is right, the problems run deeper than Mowbray. Getting rid of him would just be wallpapering over more cracks.

True. Mowbray is the best manager we have had for years and because of a bumpy ride which he did predict earlier in the season it is no reasonto sack him. I know we are fed up talking about the owners but they are the problem. We have constantly had owners who make us into a selling club. Selling Clarke and Wilson was the ruin of Pressley and this year the selling of Maddison change the whole bonding of fans with players. It happens every year. Until we have owners who say NO WE WON'T SELL and put some ambitious plan into action we will continue to be where we are.

rupert_bear

True. Mowbray is the best manager we have had for years and because of a bumpy ride which he did predict earlier in the season it is no reasonto sack him. I know we are fed up talking about the owners but they are the problem. We have constantly had owners who make us into a selling club. Selling Clarke and Wilson was the ruin of Pressley and this year the selling of Maddison change the whole bonding of fans with players. It happens every year. Until we have owners who say NO WE WON'T SELL and put some ambitious plan into action we will continue to be where we are.
It wasn't the selling of Maddison, it was the timing of that sale. Had we sold him and immediately bought two or three and banked the bulk of the fee we would properly of accepted that situation, has happened for years, Maddison was always on the move

Sick Boy

Regarding Mowbray, I've gone from hopeful optimism to guarded pessimism. I'm not sure he has what it takes to get us out of this division but I'm not quite ready to call for his exit. Only 3 teams out of 24 can get promoted and 6 out of 24 reach the play-offs, so the vast majority of clubs will have no success each season. And you can't blame Mowbray for the decades of failure before he joined us. I'd give him until the end of his contract.

Only 4 teams reach the play-offs, stopped reading after that.

dadgad

Today's newspapers are filled with calls for tax reform. Maybe this could lead to a revision of who owns football clubs and why.....?

Grendel

Grendel is obviously researching and giving careful consideration to answering my questions? Considering he seems to have made his mind up on Mowbray for several weeks now, I thought the high flying executive might have had the answers to hand?

No I just logged off and went out for tea.

Warwickhunt

Mowbury's intransigence in changng his playing format during games to counteract their God Dam awful tactics is to blame, he has been accused of this in his past managerial appiontments and he has proved it with us. IMHO think he will exit at sea on end

bawtryneal

The work that MV has done behind the scenes this year must pay dividends this summer. We need four or five quality signings on 2 year contracts to give a solid spine to the team. I think only two loanees next season.

skybluetony176

He had £5 million to spend though and double the budget of everybody else the year Bristol got promoted.

A point that will be missed by many. Burton money to spend, Wigan money to spend, Walsall no money to spend but took Dean Smith the best part of five seasons to get that team firing. Posters on here want Bristol/Burton type of quick results but with a Walsall type of budget. Living in a dream world.

Managers need one of two things to get out of this league, time or money. We definitely don't have the latter and our fan base don't want to give the first. We're a recipe for failure.

Last edited:

Grendel

A point that will be missed by many. Burton money to spend, Wigan money to spend, Walsall no money to spend but took Dean Smith the best part of five seasons to get that team firing. Posters on here want Bristol/Burton type of quick results but with a Walsall type of budget. Living in a dream world.

I know Eakin said Burton had money to spend but he didn't mean budget relativity to us. He meant given their relative low income.

The manager earned £40,000 a year.

Grendel

We need long term planning as you suggest. Sacking TM and his team would be madness, absolute madness

You say long term planning but what happens if this form carries on into next season?

What does Anderson do if crowds slump to 8,000? Tony seems to suggest giving Mowbray more time.

The strange thing is few on here give positive reasons to retain him it seems to be one of the following;

We sack managers all the time so let's not sack this one
We need to think of a replacement that can do better first. Pretty ridiculous when you look who was odds on to be the first premier league manager to be sacked in August - no one can tell
We can't afford to lay him off

Well if we end up bottom of he league in October and we are missing our crowd targets by 25% what then?

bawtryneal

You say long term planning but what happens if this form carries on into next season?

What does Anderson do if crowds slump to 8,000? Tony seems to suggest giving Mowbray more time.

The strange thing is few on here give positive reasons to retain him it seems to be one of the following;

We sack managers all the time so let's not sack this one
We need to think of a replacement that can do better first. Pretty ridiculous when you look who was odds on to be the first premier league manager to be sacked in August - no one can tell
We can't afford to lay him off

Well if we end up bottom of he league in October and we are missing our crowd targets by 25% what then?

My point is you can put the best manager in the world in charge and they can only work within the budgets and recruit accordingly. I appreciate our income is totally linked to gate receipts,as you suggest , but our owners are not going to "speculate to accumulate" so we are where we are.

torchomatic

Maybe so. But we've seen that a few good results have the fans coming back.

So you want Mowbray gone. Who do YOU want to replace him with. No flim-flam, but a name. Who do you think will take us forward next season.

Personally for me this season has overall been a good one. Some of the best games we've seen at Wasps Arena, lots of goals. And let's not forget we escaped relegation on the final day of the season last time.

Obviously its been poor since Christmas but it's still the best season we've had in 15 years.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Grendel

My point is you can put the best manager in the world in charge and they can only work within the budgets and recruit accordingly. I appreciate our income is totally linked to gate receipts,as you suggest , but our owners are not going to "speculate to accumulate" so we are where we are.

Some managers do work on limited budgets and I don't think ours is that limited compared to others.

Nick

Administrator
surely the best managers would be able to get the best out of the budget and the players they have?

Nick

Administrator
Like who for instance?
Raneiri has a smaller budget than man city, Chelsea etc.

He's getting the best out of them.

It's alright everybody moaning about investment, but it's not football manager with the cheats on. A good manager would get the best out of what he has, rather than using the investment excuse when nearly every other team in the league is in the same boat.

skybluetony176

Raneiri has a smaller budget than man city, Chelsea etc.

He's getting the best out of them.

It's alright everybody moaning about investment, but it's not football manager with the cheats on. A good manager would get the best out of what he has, rather than using the investment excuse when nearly every other team in the league is in the same boat.

I meant at this level as that would at least be relevant.

If every other team in this league is in the same boat why are you surprised that over the whole of the season we're no better or no worse than every other team in the league.

shy_tall_knight

TM to stay for me as I beleive the management infrastructure behind TM Venue & Clapham etc..need time to deliver. Since strachan was sacked we've had so many managers some deserved the sack some didn't but I think we need stability. I'm hoping they have plans in place in the close season to use the Madder's money wisely , its a hope coan't afford to sack TM as the budget is so small and there would be costs to pay off his team which will affect the budget.

TM won't be sacked.

Grendel

I meant at this level as that would at least be relevant.

If every other team in this league is in the same boat why are you surprised that over the whole of the season we're no better or no worse than every other team in the league.

That's what clubs employ managers to do - achieve better than the opposition around them.

Since the start of December we have being doing a lot worse than virtually all other teams - including those with paper thin squads and small crowds.

skybluetony176

That's what clubs employ managers to do - achieve better than the opposition around them.

Since the start of December we have being doing a lot worse than virtually all other teams - including those with paper thin squads and small crowds.

You're back. Are you going to answer the questions asked of you in post #2 now?

stupot07

I'm still on the fence. The first 18 games were excellent up to and including thrashing Gillingham to go 3 points ahead at the top of the table, but subsequent 23 games are unacceptable:

First 18 W11 D4 L3 GF36 GA19 Pts 37 ppg 2.06

Last 23 W4 D8 L11 GF23 GA26 Pts 20 ppg 0.87

You look at that and you'd say if this was any other manager but Mowbray the fans would be unanimously behind sacking him. Doesn't hello that this has also happened to him twice at Middleborough.

Its also interesting that defensive injuries are being blamed for tbr demise, but looking at the stats we're not conceding that many more now than we did on our great run (1.13 per game now v 1.06 per game), our attack however has well and truly been blunted, especially when we consider 11 of those 23 came in 2 games. It tells me that not only have players lost form, but teams have well and truly worked us outm

I'm really in 2 minds, I'm not overly convinced he can change it around next season but I do want stability, but like I said if this was pressley we'd be pretty much united on wanting him sacked.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

J

Jack Griffin

TM to stay for me as I beleive the management infrastructure behind TM Venue & Clapham etc..need time to deliver. Since strachan was sacked we've had so many managers some deserved the sack some didn't but I think we need stability. I'm hoping they have plans in place in the close season to use the Madder's money wisely , its a hope coan't afford to sack TM as the budget is so small and there would be costs to pay off his team which will affect the budget.

TM won't be sacked.

I think so too. The key for me is not the disappointment at the end of this season but that plans are in place to build a team (Jones, Rose, Gadzhev, Sayoud coming in ready for next season to add to Vincelot, the defence needs Stokes to sign on for longer, a new centre half or 2) give it a couple more years to work. The only time to panic and change the management is if relegation threatens or the entire season is utterly lacklustre & unexciting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread