Verdict on today and the future. (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

I'm not going to lie I've only been to 7 matches this season and not since Christmas. Took the family today and first off I'd like to say that the potential support from the Cov faithful is huge, that initial atmosphere could have built to something to be proud of if we had a team to follow........... but we haven't. Not one that will compete anyway. The keeper was a liability, Barton was a joke, the youngsters are so tentative and the forwards in Prossy and Nouble were pathetic. Nouble sums up modern football to me. What a selfish, arrogant, lazy prat that man is. Only looked interested when he had the ball at his feet and only then to try and get a little magic moment for himself.
Now in times gone by, this league was renowned for being fast and furious, blood and thunder..................not now, what we have is a bunch of League 1 misfits and kids having all watched too much TV and thinking they are in the Champions League, stroking the ball around at not much more than walking pace, showing a little shimmy here and there, shooting from 30 yards, not bothering to run off the ball............they're not good enough for that ! Someone fucking tell them !
SISU have done this, they've reduced us to a team of failed loaners and loanees and academy kids. Take a good look at those 15/16 year olds they were parading round the pitch earlier because they are what the hedge fund will attempt to promote again in the summer.

Hobo

I agree, I think it is an absolute disgrace the way some fans on here criticise our fan base. we have fantastic supporters and fantastic potential. Unfortunately when they turn up,when it matters the players don't.

I read an article in the Guardian Rugby column today where Wasps players said how great it was to play in a World Class Arena rather than a 4th Division football stadium Adams Park and how they are determined to be the best in Europe.

Meanwhile some of our players seems to be trying to turn it into a 4th Division football Stadium..

plus us we have people posting like Grendel, blaming the Ricoh because we can't win there! Let's widen the scope a little on that one.

I wonder how many of our fans have renewed season tickets for next season? Because 2 thirds of the season ticket holders Wasps had at Adams Park have already renewed their season tickets for next season at the Ricoh. SISU have never managed that groundswell of feeling we are building towards a successful future.

That really is a crying shame

Grendel

I agree, I think it is an absolute disgrace the way some fans on here criticise our fan base. we have fantastic supporters and fantastic potential. Unfortunately when they turn up,when it matters the players don't.

I read an article in the Guardian Rugby column today where Wasps players said how great it was to play in a World Class Arena rather than a 4th Division football stadium Adams Park and how they are determined to be the best in Europe.

Meanwhile some of our players seems to be trying to turn it into a 4th Division football Stadium..

plus us we have people posting like Grendel, blaming the Ricoh because we can't win there! Let's widen the scope a little on that one.

I wonder how many of our fans have renewed season tickets for next season? Because 2 thirds of the season ticket holders Wasps had at Adams Park have already renewed their season tickets for next season at the Ricoh. SISU have never managed that groundswell of feeling we are building towards a successful future.

That really is a crying shame

Out of the last 6 seasons which home record was the best?

Hobo

Out of the last 6 seasons which home record was the best?

Every time we have lost there another team has won. Good teams win they don't make excuses about stadiums. Players creat atmosphere and put bums on seats. At the Ricoh the world is their oyster, if they can't see that these players don't deserve 13000 turning up let alone 28000. Have they not had the opportunity to see the potential Grendel?

Or or are you now putting forward excuses for Thorne, was it the Ricoh?

stupot07

Every time we have lost there another team has won. Good teams win they don't make excuses about stadiums. Players creat atmosphere and put bums on seats. At the Ricoh the world is their oyster, if they can't see that these players don't deserve 13000 turning up let alone 28000. Have they not had the opportunity to see the potential Grendel?

Or or are you now putting forward excuses for Thorne, was it the Ricoh?

The problem is the ricoh is too big, even in the first season when we averaged 21k the ground was still only 2/3rd full, and as attendances dropped to HR levels c15k then it's only 1/2 full. It's difficult to create and maintain an atmosphere and create a fortress when it's so empty.

I agree that the players don't deserve the 13k though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

RFC

He said 'home' record. Shitfields never was and never will be classed as our home.

Oh but it was for good reason (only ever temporary) whilst we reduce our ridiculous rent down from £1:28 MILLION to £100,000!!!!

Football League dictated we had to fulfil our fixtures!

Ashdown

The problem is the ricoh is too big, even in the first season when we averaged 21k the ground was still only 2/3rd full, and as attendances dropped to HR levels c15k then it's only 1/2 full. It's difficult to create and maintain an atmosphere and create a fortress when it's so empty.

I agree that the players don't deserve the 13k though.

Nothing wrong with that crowd at all for an appalling football side who have been reduced to such lows by this despicable hedge fund. You couldn't squeeze in that crowd to most grounds in our pitiful league. Some will still make excuses for SISU and somehow point accusing fingers at absent fans and the size of the Ricoh but the fault and blame lies only with owners who took a punt on a football club to realise that they were out of their depth from the start. Their current policy of trying to hoodwink genuine supporters with false hopes about the future is shameful. Their ambitions lie no further than grabbing your Season ticket cash yet again and turning out a side full of kids and other clubs failures and misfits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Hobo

Oh but it was for good reason (only ever temporary) whilst we reduce our ridiculous rent down from £1:28 MILLION to £100,000!!!!

when it was 'only ever temporary' what date did they give us for our return? Or was it an open ended exodus?

you have to be able to complete your fixtures, basic requirement of entering the competition and existence!

Last edited:

skybluepm2

This is going off tangent here and to a degree i suspect you are correct in the sense that the ridiculous rent being paid was reduced significantly. However, to kidnap a team from their local community and refuse to honour payment terms signed up to and agreed is not only unacceptable but unforgivable.. Hence the 1'000's of empty sky blue seats today.

Back to the topic in question, today was nothing short of a shambolic capitulation which was threatened initially as a smash and grab after the 1st was helped in. We then lacked any fight and desire to get back into the match and presented Crewe with two further gifts through unforced errors.

Who knows what the future holds? It may be worth asking that question again at this time in 8 days!

Grendel

Sigh.....

You may sigh but the reality is the home form at the Ricoh has been atrocious. Even under Robins with Mcgoldrick and then Clarke it was poor.

steveo1987

The season at sixfields was one of the most enjoyable for years.Not due to the ground but the perfect storm of Wilson,Clarke and Moussa.

stupot07

Personally I think some of the reduction in crowd is down to sisu and relegation and some was the novelty of the ricoh wearing off and is slowly returning to pre-ricoh championship attendances. Yes 13k is great, but even if we got back to the championship we'd be lucky to average 15-16k which is only half full.

KG7

Yes, we've had a tough time following this club but every game - home or away there are at least three people around me who, if the first five minutes don't produce a goal, will moan about everything. Is this reasonable behaviour? For me no, it achieves nothing but create negativity. Worse on kids for a quid day when they begin to absorb and regurgitate every ridiculous phrase they say.

Harsh to criticise the fans but I think if we're going to change the fortunes of the club then we have to try and change this aspect of our support too. We are a league one team full of kids - they need to have space to make a few mistakes.

Covstu

It's heartbreaking to think that we could be a league two club next week and not a peep out of our owners. Even if we do stay up, I cannot see us improving. The 'plan' was just a bunch of words that was never monitored or used, we keep bringing in loaners who are not providing the goods. Absolutely rudderless

chinamans view

Stupot, The Ricoh is not to big. Highfield rd held 52000 standing nobody said that was to big, If you have people running the club with ambition and a desire to succeed. then the Coventry public will return and fill the Ricoh.

stupot07

Stupot, The Ricoh is not to big. Highfield rd held 52000 standing nobody said that was to big, If you have people running the club with ambition and a desire to succeed. then the Coventry public will return and fill the Ricoh.

The city of Coventry and football is a completely different place than 40-50 years ago.

Last edited:

wingy

Only atmosphere today came from Singers Corner
Poor showing when you think what 7K achieved the other night
Tried hard to get It going further along the Tesco stand but to no avail :-(

Samo

I'm not going to lie I've only been to 7 matches this season and not since Christmas. Took the family today and first off I'd like to say that the potential support from the Cov faithful is huge, that initial atmosphere could have built to something to be proud of if we had a team to follow........... but we haven't. Not one that will compete anyway. The keeper was a liability, Barton was a joke, the youngsters are so tentative and the forwards in Prossy and Nouble were pathetic. Nouble sums up modern football to me. What a selfish, arrogant, lazy prat that man is. Only looked interested when he had the ball at his feet and only then to try and get a little magic moment for himself.
Now in times gone by, this league was renowned for being fast and furious, blood and thunder..................not now, what we have is a bunch of League 1 misfits and kids having all watched too much TV and thinking they are in the Champions League, stroking the ball around at not much more than walking pace, showing a little shimmy here and there, shooting from 30 yards, not bothering to run off the ball............they're not good enough for that ! Someone fucking tell them !
SISU have done this, they've reduced us to a team of failed loaners and loanees and academy kids. Take a good look at those 15/16 year olds they were parading round the pitch earlier because they are what the hedge fund will attempt to promote again in the summer.

You give verdicts on the future? You are really special.

The Lurker

Yes, we've had a tough time following this club but every game - home or away there are at least three people around me who, if the first five minutes don't produce a goal, will moan about everything. Is this reasonable behaviour? For me no, it achieves nothing but create negativity. Worse on kids for a quid day when they begin to absorb and regurgitate every ridiculous phrase they say.

Harsh to criticise the fans but I think if we're going to change the fortunes of the club then we have to try and change this aspect of our support too. We are a league one team full of kids - they need to have space to make a few mistakes.
That post is bizarre. Because the fans moan about a wayward ball, your using that as excuse for where we are? That's incredible.

So the cost cutting tactics by sisu aren't to blame? The players SW hand picked to get us in this situation. The negativity of Presley in games.

We've been piss poor again this season and your saying the fans haven't got a right to moan? When you watch shit your gonna grumble. If you have a shit meal, you'll complain. If you go the cinema and watch a shit film your gonna complain. Why should football be anything different? They'll get support but they need to earn it. This side has not earnt the support

bigfatronssba

The city of Coventry and football is a completely different place than 40-50 years ago.

In the 1961/62 season we were a mid table 3rd division team and our average attendance was 10k.

In the 1963/64 season we were a top 3rd division team and our average attendance was 26k.

Crowds went up by 16k in just two seasons, due to success on the pitch and management with ambition.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that wouldn't happen again.

hill83

That post is bizarre. Because the fans moan about a wayward ball, your using that as excuse for where we are? That's incredible.

So the cost cutting tactics by sisu aren't to blame? The players SW hand picked to get us in this situation. The negativity of Presley in games.

We've been piss poor again this season and your saying the fans haven't got a right to moan? When you watch shit your gonna grumble. If you have a shit meal, you'll complain. If you go the cinema and watch a shit film your gonna complain. Why should football be anything different? They'll get support but they need to earn it. This side has not earnt the support

Comparing football to going to the cinema never has and never will work.

bigfatronssba

You may sigh but the reality is the home form at the Ricoh has been atrocious. Even under Robins with Mcgoldrick and then Clarke it was poor.

Yet under Adams it was superb.

bigfatronssba

You see it never used to work, but then the game changed and now we are told that football clubs are "businesses just like any other that need to make a return for the investor".

Once you start running a club/business like that, the fans become customers who are free to complain about the shoddy product.

hill83

You see it never used to work, but then the game changed and now we are told that football clubs are "businesses just like any other that need to make a return for the investor".

Once you start running a club/business like that, the fans become customers who are free to complain about the shoddy product.

Well no, it's football, so you are free to complain regardless. It's irrelevant how clubs are ran.
I was saying the comparison doesn't work because people don't support cinemas or restaurants, it's not the same.

The Lurker

Why not? You pay to be entertained. It's probably over priced for the same sort of time span. You talk to people about films and how you rate them. You moan if a film is shit but have your favourite actors and actress. Very similar and sometimes more atmosphere at showcase than the Ricoh

The Lurker

Well no, it's football, so you are free to complain regardless. It's irrelevant how clubs are ran.
I was saying the comparison doesn't work because people don't support cinemas or restaurants, it's not the same.

People have there favourite actors and actresses and will go to see them. Even if there shit will go the following film. Football isn't a community gathering anymore. Ever since we moved to Ricoh it has never felt like "home"

torchomatic

I won't go to Crawley next Sunday to watch a particular film in a particular chain of cinemas. It's a rubbish comparison. It's second only to comparing the Ricoh to renting a house.

Why not? You pay to be entertained. It's probably over priced for the same sort of time span. You talk to people about films and how you rate them. You moan if a film is shit but have your favourite actors and actress. Very similar and sometimes more atmosphere at showcase than the Ricoh

Users who are viewing this thread