VAR (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

We done perfectly well without it for over 100 years...its a farce at best, even the DRS in cricket is stupid...if the umpire gives a decision not out and it should be out on lbw's it stands as not out if on the same decision the umpire gives out then it is out so even they cannot get it right...fuck it off and lets go back to just slagging the refs off

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We done perfectly well without it for over 100 years...its a farce at best, even the DRS in cricket is stupid...if the umpire gives a decision not out and it should be out on lbw's it stands as not out if on the same decision the umpire gives out then it is out so even they cannot get it right...fuck it off and lets go back to just slagging the refs off
All that says is that they acknowledge the technology cannot be 100% accurate so in cases where it's within the margin of error the officials decision stands. Seems sensible to me. Think that should be included in the nonsense gnats bollock offside rule we have with it now.

clint van damme

They have had plenty of time how long does it take ffs, the rules changing every minute doesnt help, we have arguments on here most weeks about what is handball and what isn't does anyone actually know for sure even commentators can't agree.

The rules are being changed to mask VARs failings in my opinion. It's nonsense.
I have some sympathy for the argument that's its being used incorrectly. But I'm not a fan of it.

slowpoke

I watched the Newcastle/Wolves game yesterday and without var the ref I’m sure would have given a foul by Pope and a possible sending off on the Wolves player had it been outside the area.

Bad Boy

I watched the Newcastle/Wolves game yesterday and without var the ref I’m sure would have given a foul by Pope and a possible sending off on the Wolves player had it been outside the area.
Agree 100%. The game is bias towards the top 6 and everyone else just have to grin and bear it. Take that incident the other week when the referee booked a Wolves player because he was third in line to approach him after a decision was made. What!!
Time after time top 6 teams whole squads seemingly swarm all over the ref when decisions go against them but no one gets booked. It's utter shit.
I really hate football at times.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What percentage of goals are ruled out by VAR? I would be curious to know.

I like the concept of making games fairer, but it just isn't doing that. Instead it is just giving the feeling that every goal is tentative until it's been checked. If they could find away to use it sparingly and more effectively, I would be on board. At the moment though it feels like it's just sucking the life out of the game.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

They have had plenty of time how long does it take ffs, the rules changing every minute doesnt help, we have arguments on here most weeks about what is handball and what isn't does anyone actually know for sure even commentators can't agree.

There's always been inconsistency, I remember a game at Highfield road against Aston Villa and on two occasions the ball hit the hand of the defender above his head, on each occasion NO Penalty.

The f**king Villa went on to win the game.

Sick Jason Jones GIF by The Detour

Hobo

The bar for VAR is clear and obvious refs mistake.

But how is a toe, an elbow, a little finger, a beer belly, after watching 10 replays from various angles clear and obvious?

Refs are often judged by fans and pundits who think they know the rules/laws but actually don't.

Otis

The bar for VAR is clear and obvious refs mistake.

But how is a toe, an elbow, a little finger, a beer belly, after watching 10 replays from various angles clear and obvious?

Refs are often judged by fans and pundits who think they know the rules/laws but actually don't.
I have said so many times, they just need to put a timer on it. Give it such as a 20 second or 25 second limit. Check the footage, if they can't see a mistake in that timeframe, it's not clear and obvious.

SBT

Imagine having a clearly offside goal given against us and missing out on a play off place as a result. Nothing wrong with the technology it's the way it is implemented.
We’ve had all kinds of terrible decisions go against us - we still do. It’s part of the game and you just have to deal with it.

Offhegoes

VAR should be available to use by both teams. Each team has 2 chances to use VAR across the whole match to contest a decision (penalty, disallowed goal, sending off etc). That's it. Otherwise the ref and linesman's decisions are final. That would make it better in my view.

SBT

VAR should be available to use by both teams. Each team has 2 chances to use VAR across the whole match to contest a decision (penalty, disallowed goal, sending off etc). That's it. Otherwise the ref and linesman's decisions are final. That would make it better in my view.
Give each team three “time outs”, only the coaches and the quarterbacks should be allowed to call them. You can let Sky Sports run ads during them as well.

shmmeee

Give each team three “time outs”, only the coaches and the quarterbacks should be allowed to call them. You can let Sky Sports run ads during them as well.

Better than the current system of faking a head injury.

Sky Blue Pete

Technology should only deal with objective decisions not subjective ones. Otherwise you just replace one persons subjectivity with another persons

So goal line technology great
Handball really?
Fouls ??
The referee alone should check the different views if they’ve boobed and change their mind if necessary
if it’s not possible to make accurate decisions on close offsides then don’t

Old Warwickshire lad

Let’s just get back to some sort of sanity.
Handball is hand to ball, not ball to hand.
And offside is when the ball is played, and the flag goes up immediately.
And if you tackle and play the ball and some pansy then falls over you, it’s not a free kin kick .
You have to go with referees interpretation, so concentrate on getting as much consistency as you can from referees.
Oh and tell the linesman he CAN give decisions to help the referee.
Feel better for that 😂😂😂🍷

Johhny Blue

They could stop the game and the ref ask each group of fans pantomime style.
e.g. “was it offside”
Home fans all together “YES IT WAS”
Away fans “OH NO IT WASN’T”
This type of arbitration could also lead to more co-ordinated booing of the officials

County's equaliser would of stood, but I still think we would of gone on to win the game
We were the better team by a mile but everything went for us. Penalty in the first leg and Biamou's second would have been offside in the build up. That's 3 massive moments in a play-off and I'm just glad VAR wasn't around then.

Otis

The handball in the Man City game last night was just ridiculous.

Screenshot_2023-03-15-09-43-40-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Look at the proximity and the guy even has his back turned too.

It's all gone a bit mad hasn't it.

slowpoke

I reckon without VAR neither of those semi-final penalties at the weekend wouldn’t have been given, but when there’s been umpteen replays they were both hand balls so in the letter of the law the Fulham sending off was correct and the Sheffield defender should have off been too.

steve cooper

Who was that?
It was around 51 minutes. one of their players whacked McNulty on the back of the head, led to a mass altercation. I thought it was a sending off at the time but doesn't look so bad having re-watched it. Maybe I was a little biased at the time?

Their disallowed goal looked just offside to me but it was close. Only our 3rd goal looked suspect in the build up. The others looked ok. goal3.png

51.png

David O'Day

VAR is fine and if a player is offside then they are offside, the amount by is not important.

The major is issue with VAR is the inconsistency. 1 week an incident is a red and the week before it may be a yellow.

I am not debating the validity of the decisions but take for example Casemiro being sent of vs Southampton while a few weeks earlier Fabinho had only got a yellow for a much worse tackle vs Brighton.

VAR isn't going anywhere and the people who shout about getting rid of it may as well be shouting a clouds but it does need to be improved when it comes to the subjective decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread