VAR Saturday (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

It has quite a big impact on who wins the tournament though

Yes but every team in the tournament at that point is under the same conditions. That’s the point. I’d say you had one semi with and one without you could have a team go through/out on a decision that couldn’t have happened in the other game, impacting everyone in the tournament. By the final it’s one game with every remaining team playing so by definitively whatever the rules they’re the same for all teams in the competition.

SBT

Yes but every team in the tournament at that point is under the same conditions. That’s the point. I’d say you had one semi with and one without you could have a team go through/out on a decision that couldn’t have happened in the other game, impacting everyone in the tournament. By the final it’s one game with every remaining team playing so by definitively whatever the rules they’re the same for all teams in the competition.
The scenario you’re describing already happens at every level of the tournament - a team can win a game thanks to a refereeing decision that another ref would have missed etc. Not all games in the FA Cup have a fourth official, goal-line technology, magic spray etc etc.

So long as the rules of the game are consistent throughout the competition, it’s fine - the presence or absence of VAR doesn’t change the rules, it just means they’re administered differently.

skybluecam

Var is shit, get rid.

There’s no good implementation. Either you have the game essentially entirely refereed from the var room, which introduces delays and a lack of clarity, or you attempt to keep the power with the on field ref, as it is in the premier league and you have issues with the “clear and obvious” rule.

Technology should only be used for objective decisions (GLT, automated offside). Otherwise, leave it to the ref and accept they’re not perfect.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A decision in the final doesn’t affect any other game.
But it could make a big difference overall.

Let's say a team gets through a few rounds because an offside or a handball isn't spotted. Then they get to the final and the other team score a goal which is then disallowed by VAR for offside, thus allowing the team that has benefited from wrong decisions in previous games to win a tournament that, if the same officiating were available for all their games through the tournament, they'd have gone out of ages ago.

shmmeee

But it could make a big difference overall.

Let's say a team gets through a few rounds because an offside or a handball isn't spotted. Then they get to the final and the other team score a goal which is then disallowed by VAR for offside, thus allowing the team that has benefited from wrong decisions in previous games to win a tournament that, if the same officiating were available for all their games through the tournament, they'd have gone out of ages ago.

Yeah it’s a fair argument for not having it at all. I’m just generally more relaxed when there’s one game left. TBH I’m more sympathetic that it gives an advantage to teams used to playing with VAR.

wingy

Yeah it’s a fair argument for not having it at all. I’m just generally more relaxed when there’s one game left. TBH I’m more sympathetic that it gives an advantage to teams used to playing with VAR.
No point when applied in a one game scenario?

Users who are viewing this thread