van driven at pedestrians in London (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

What does saying love London etc do against terrorists?

About as much as saying "lessons will be learnt" or May 'talking tough'.

torchomatic

Life in prison for these extremists or those with extremist views

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think we'll walk L2 this season so I suppose I'll be locked up for having such extremist views.

CJ_covblaze

Also, they keep going on about "dont let this affect us", "they wont win" and "stand together". Yet they circulate this

xxxxxxx.jpg

Exactly what you should be looking and thinking at when going for a beer with your mates on a Saturday night. That's showing ISIS again.

Personally think it was a good idea. Makes sense. We did it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

A few days ago I was called warp minded for suggesting Islamic terrorism is our current greatest threat. It hasn't even been a week and there has been another attack.

You can blame the government, foreign affairs, Saudi Arabia all you want, but this just gives a free pass to your local jihadi's who are the ones plotting and carrying out the attacks.

The reality is they are going to get worse and more common, and the degrees of separation are only going to close in. I've highlighted in the other thread my ideas of what should be done to try and combat this, the problem is, we are, and we have been too tolerant to this posinous extreme ideology. Vitue signalling and the like isn't working, we need to be hard and zero tolerant.

May probably isn't the answer, but people that say the Labour goverment are need to go and have a word with themselves.

RIP to the victims.

CJ_covblaze

can't imagine what it was like to be in that situation mate, must have been terrifying.

Plenty were in a far worse one. The thought of those families losing people in that way is sickening. Was and am more angry than anything.

Sky Blue Pete

upload_2017-6-4_17-42-13.gif
BBC

A neighbour of the Barking flat believed to belong to one of the attackers has described him as "very much a member of the community".

Damien Pettit (above) said the man had been "very family-orientated" and that his wife had just had another child.

Reports that the he had been one of the London Bridge attackers were "very hard to understand", he said.

Furqan Nabi, who also lives in the area, said he used to see the man playing table tennis in the lobby of the building and playing with his children.

My thoughts

Just how does one legislate for that?????

Macca

View attachment 7566
BBC

A neighbour of the Barking flat believed to belong to one of the attackers has described him as "very much a member of the community".

Damien Pettit (above) said the man had been "very family-orientated" and that his wife had just had another child.

Reports that the he had been one of the London Bridge attackers were "very hard to understand", he said.

Furqan Nabi, who also lives in the area, said he used to see the man playing table tennis in the lobby of the building and playing with his children.

My thoughts

worrying indeed that someone who doesn't fit the extremist stereotype shares the same views. Strongly believe this problem runs deeper than we think

Sky Blue Pete

worrying indeed that someone who doesn't fit the extremist stereotype shares the same views. Strongly believe this problem runs deeper than we think
And will take a generation or more to fight. Look at the way society is set up against the younger generation in terms of job opportunity and in terms of affordable housing?

No justification but tricky to warp the mind of a fulfilled and content person

Skyblueweeman

Got back from the stag do this afternoon. We were a mile from the attack last night...thankfully all of our party were accounted for and safe.

A hotel near ours were taking in the walking wounded and some of my mates said they saw some of the injured.

When I got back to our hotel about midnight, there were people there who didn't know what to do as they couldn't get home as the police had shut down Liverpool St station. I ended up offering two random New Zealand ladies and a bloke from Worcester my floor which they accepted. Sorted them out with pillows and towels...quite surprised as I was steaming...guess instinct just kicked in.

Wankers anyway that did it. Glad the police put bullets in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

And will take a generation or more to fight. Look at the way society is set up against the younger generation in terms of job opportunity and in terms of affordable housing?

No justification but tricky to warp the mind of a fulfilled and content person

If you are blaming the "disaffected youth" why is the disaffection restricted to one ideology?

SkyBlue_Bear83

View attachment 7566
BBC

My thoughts

One of the attackers was reported by someone who knew him and no action was taken.
He was worried he had been radicalised after a conversation where he justified the actions of another terrorist attack which had taken place.

So at least one of the attackers could have been stopped

Grendel

One of the attackers was reported by someone who knew him and no action was taken.
He was worried he had been radicalised after a conversation where he justified the actions of another terrorist attack which had taken place.

They could if detention was allowed for this sort of behaviour.

This is now required.

If not this will become a weekly event all over this country.

chiefdave

If what they are think is in support of terrorist groups then absolutely.
It sounds good in theory but how would it work in practice. You'd have to lock up people who have committed no actual crime for life with no trial and no chance of release. That would likely act as a huge recruitment boost to the likes of ISIS so you'd have to be certain you'd got them all and had totally secure borders.

There's 8K on the current watchlist. That's £320m a year to keep them locked up but you've also got to fund catching them and creating enough prison spaces to take them.

And how do you prevent any risk of getting the wrong person? Its easy to say that doesn't matter, a small percentage incorrectly locked up is a price worth paying, but what if it was a member of your family, your son for example arrested at a young age and placed in prison for life.

There's no easy solution but there are things we can do relatively quickly and easily:

Stop involving ourselves in everything. Don't get involved in Syria, Iraq, Libya etc.
Don't sell arms. Certainly not to countries like Saudi Arabia but personally I wouldn't have an issue with us not exporting arms to any other country, or at least vastly reducing the countries we sell to.

Reverse the police cuts. Get more police on the streets and into communities so we have more chance of preventing these attacks.

Much tougher penalties for those found to be involved or having assisted in terrorism or promoting terrorism.

Those things won't be a complete solution to the current problems but its a start we can make pretty quickly.

Sky Blue Pete

It sounds good in theory but how would it work in practice. You'd have to lock up people who have committed no actual crime for life with no trial and no chance of release. That would likely act as a huge recruitment boost to the likes of ISIS so you'd have to be certain you'd got them all and had totally secure borders.

There's 8K on the current watchlist. That's £320m a year to keep them locked up but you've also got to fund catching them and creating enough prison spaces to take them.

And how do you prevent any risk of getting the wrong person? Its easy to say that doesn't matter, a small percentage incorrectly locked up is a price worth paying, but what if it was a member of your family, your son for example arrested at a young age and placed in prison for life.

There's no easy solution but there are things we can do relatively quickly and easily:

Stop involving ourselves in everything. Don't get involved in Syria, Iraq, Libya etc.
Don't sell arms. Certainly not to countries like Saudi Arabia but personally I wouldn't have an issue with us not exporting arms to any other country, or at least vastly reducing the countries we sell to.

Reverse the police cuts. Get more police on the streets and into communities so we have more chance of preventing these attacks.

Much tougher penalties for those found to be involved or having assisted in terrorism or promoting terrorism.

Those things won't be a complete solution to the current problems but its a start we can make pretty quickly.
I agree

CJ_covblaze

Got back from the stag do this afternoon. We were a mile from the attack last night...thankfully all of our party were accounted for and safe.

A hotel near ours were taking in the walking wounded and some of my mates said they saw some of the injured.

When I got back to our hotel about midnight, there were people there who didn't know what to do as they couldn't get home as the police had shut down Liverpool St station. I ended up offering two random New Zealand ladies and a bloke from Worcester my floor which they accepted. Sorted them out with pillows and towels...quite surprised as I was steaming...guess instinct just kicked in.

Wankers anyway that did it. Glad the police put bullets in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done. Heartwarming to know how people come together and help each other out. Great work

Grendel

I agree with funding of police on streets for all sorts of reasons

However, reduced involvement in Middle East politics now is too late. That horse has bolted. If you look at other European countries their involvement has been moderate in comparison but ultimately they have experienced many Islamic issues as well.

This will become a massive issue for the next generation. This is not a race issue but an ideological struggle. The dullards who blow themselves up will always be the same - drug addled losers persuaded by a "cause"

We act ruthlessly to make the recruited suffer by detention or restricted movement or we roll over and accept one day we will be an Islamic State.

This is a real danger and if people's liberty suffers restriction it's a small price to pay.

This is now a struggle of ideology. Freedom and democracy against radicalism, sexism and expression of sexuality.

We must not lose

Sky Blue Pete

How? It's not a crime

Sky Blue Pete

However, reduced involvement in Middle East politics now is too late. That horse has bolted. If you look at other European countries their involvement has been moderate in comparison but ultimately they have experienced many Islamic issues as well.

This will become a massive issue for the next generation. This is not a race issue but an ideological struggle. The dullards who blow themselves up will always be the same - drug addled losers persuaded by a "cause"

We act ruthlessly to make the recruited suffer by detention or restricted movement or we roll over and accept one day we will be an Islamic State.

This is a real danger and if people's liberty suffers restriction it's a small price to pay.

This is now a struggle of ideology. Freedom and democracy against radicalism, sexism and expression of sexuality.

We must not lose
I don't know how you fight for freedom by reducing freedom. I accept temporary measures, specific to a situation for a specific time but not wholesale

clint van damme

We must not lose

"However, reduced involvement in Middle East politics now is too late."

to an extent you're correct, but the Saudis still haven't got the war that they and their best friend in the region, Israel (in an your enemies enemy is your friend type way), really want, and that's war with Iran - Obama stopped that last time, the only good thing he did in the region, we must foil any further attempts, (though I'm not confident given may and trumps rhetoric when they visited ISIS main sponsors when they were in the region recently).

"This is now a struggle of ideology. Freedom and democracy against radicalism, sexism and expression of sexuality.

We must not lose"

100% agree. Let's start by releasing the suppressed report on Saudi Arabias links to Islamism and ceasing the supply of weapons to them immediately.

Macca

"However, reduced involvement in Middle East politics now is too late."

to an extent you're correct, but the Saudis still haven't got the war that they and their best friend in the region, Israel (in an your enemies enemy is your friend type way), really want, and that's war with Iran - Obama stopped that last time, the only good thing he did in the region, we must foil any further attempts, (though I'm not confident given may and trumps rhetoric when they visited ISIS main sponsors when they were in the region recently).

"This is now a struggle of ideology. Freedom and democracy against radicalism, sexism and expression of sexuality.

We must not lose"

100% agree. Let's start by releasing the suppressed report on Saudi Arabias links to Islamism and ceasing the supply of weapons to them immediately.

Agree but it won't dry up the supply of knives, white vans and treacherous "British" citizens. I fear we are looking at a different problem

clint van damme

Agree but it won't dry up the supply of knives, white vans and treacherous "British" citizens. I fear we are looking at a different problem

No, but it might slow down the spreading of the ideology.

As Grendel said in so many words, the genie is out of the bottle, we're into damage limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread