USSR invades Ukraine. (6 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

but have also voted for the Tories once

giphy.gif

NorthernWisdom

I was young, I was drunk and I had conjunctivitis, so couldn't see exactly where I was putting my cross, but yes, it's true.
Nearly as often as Grendel has then.

The view he would attract additional voters and the disaffected would be re-ignited in politics I do agree with. For the second time in my life I would vote Tory as it would be the only sane alternative. Many other disaffected will do the same.

Brighton Sky Blue

Even worse that that, Ukraine were encouraged/agreed to give up their nuclear deterrent in the 90’s. This has left left them further exposed although ‘Putin the nutter’ wasn’t around then.

I understand that we and NATO can’t get involved militarily as it could escalate to WW3 but we should be doing everything in our collective powers to arm Ukraine to help them defend themselves (crazy in a way as there is not a huge difference between that and us getting directly involved).

As I think SBD said, Putins ‘fear’ of having NATO on his doorstep can’t ring true as his actions have just accelerated more NATO troops on his border than ever before and any country not in NATO probably seriously considering joining to help defend themselves against this utter madman

The problem with the nuke deterrent is it relies on rational actors on all sides. Putin clearly isn’t one and from what he says it seems like he really would be fine to end the world if someone intervenes in his mission for empire.

CCFCSteve

I was young, I was drunk and I had conjunctivitis, so couldn't see exactly where I was putting my cross, but yes, it's true.

Haha, probably a few on here have without ever wanting to admit it ! Your comments about Corbyn were right to an extent, he is kind of irrelevant, however, at the last election we were left with two poor choices so if people are saying Tory this, Johnson that, especially in relation to Ukraine, it’s only right that they acknowledge that the alternative would’ve been an anti nato (arguably anti West) PM that would’ve done fuck all to help ukraine and potentially left us weaker military.

I just hope that we are never left with such a pathetic choice in future…unfortunately looking around the world at other leaders I’m not so sure !

You’re right though, this isn’t the right forum but just explaining why people inc myself may have mentioned Corbyn

Otis

Haha, probably a few on here have without ever wanting to admit it ! Your comments about Corbyn were right to an extent, he is kind of irrelevant, however, at the last election we were left with two poor choices so if people are saying Tory this, Johnson that, especially in relation to Ukraine, it’s only right that they acknowledge that the alternative would’ve been an anti nato (arguably anti West) PM that would’ve done fuck all to help ukraine and potentially left us weaker military.

I just hope that we are never left with such a pathetic choice in future…unfortunately looking around the world at other leaders I’m not so sure !

You’re right though, this isn’t the right forum but just explaining why people inc myself may have mentioned Corbyn
They were indeed both very poor choices. Let's face it, Corbyn was never going to get in was he.

There's no doubt that Putin must see both Biden and Johnson as weak.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

They were indeed both very poor choices. Let's face it, Corbyn was never going to get in was he.

There's no doubt that Putin must see both Biden and Johnson as weak.

Part of the reason he thinks he can get away with it isn't unnecessarily an incorrect train of thought. The response to this invasion is so weak and pathetic it is almost untrue.

Marty

I think what we need is someone to ring Putin and say they are from Santander's fraud department and that he needs to move all his money to a new account, because there has been fraudulent activity on his debit card.

Or.... wave some flags at a football game a thousand miles away, that'll show him.

NorthernWisdom

So how do you explain being tagged as a Corbyn lover, and a Putin apologist, after suggesting that our current nuclear capability is not much of a defence?

It's ridiculous leaps like that which show gross stupidity and take off-track - exacerbated when people either can't, or refuse to, read the words written.

Anyway, the current Labour leader has been strong and unequivocal in what he'd like hasn't he.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

what do you want them to do?

If there is going to be no military intervention then there needs to be the most restrictive of sanctions implemented on Russia to cut them off from the outside world. That's not happening because many countries are preferring to serve their own self interests.

Are you happy with the response so far? Do you think Ukraine should be happy to have the allies they do?

I'm personally quite ashamed of the west's response.

Sick Boy

If there is going to be no military intervention then there needs to be the most restrictive of sanctions implemented on Russia to cut them off from the outside world. That's not happening because many countries are preferring to serve their own self interests.

Are you happy with the response so far? Do you think Ukraine should be happy to have the allies they do?

Good luck with getting China onboard with that.

Sick Boy

I expect nothing from China whatsoever.

Germany could at least close their airspace however. I really don't think that's too much to ask considering.
Unfortunately western sanctions are unlikely to have the devastating effect we hope for. I expect by Monday Russia will be cut off from SWIFT but they’ll just start using China’s.

tisza

Russia getting a bit desperate to speed things up.
Asking the Kazaks for troops and more worryingly is the reported use of cluster munitions

clint van damme

I've no doubt that self interest is behind many of the decisions being made.
But reading up on it since it's started it appear Putin has been preparing for this for some time as far as the Russian economy goes. .
I don't think the sanctions people are talking about will have quite the affect they think unless we make Russia a complete pariah state which is going to have implications for western economies, it would be a different ball game to imposing them on somewhere like Iran, would that go down well in this country? On a public that's already experiencing huge increases in heating and fuel bills on the back of the pandemic and before that bailing out the banks via austerity?

I don't have a clue what the answer is, there clearly isn't going to be a military response.

skybluegod

Russia getting a bit desperate to speed things up.
Asking the Kazaks for troops and more worryingly is the reported use of cluster munitions

Not really surprising unfortunately given they have never signed up to the convention not to use them. Although not have the US unfortunately. Completely unnecessary weapon used to inflict more suffering than actually achieve a tactical effect.

Ian1779

So how do you explain being tagged as a Corbyn lover, and a Putin apologist, after suggesting that our current nuclear capability is not much of a defence?

It's ridiculous leaps like that which show gross stupidity and take off-track - exacerbated when people either can't, or refuse to, read the words written.

Anyway, the current Labour leader has been strong and unequivocal in what he'd like hasn't he.
Remember when we praise the ‘strength’ of the current Labour leader he is only saying what the previous Labour leader has been arguing for quite vociferously for the last 10 years and was demonised and castigated by politicians on both sides.
Corbyn is long gone, but you can’t airbrush history to suit a narrative of someone you didn’t like.

NorthernWisdom

Remember when we praise the ‘strength’ of the current Labour leader he is only saying what the previous Labour leader has been arguing for quite vociferously for the last 10 years and was demonised and castigated by politicians on both sides.
It's fair to say we'd see equivocation from the previous Labour leader. Crises are a time for strong ladership, and that certainly isn't or wasn't his strength.

Sbarcher

I’m not sure of the criteria for classification as a “war criminal” but surely Putin must qualify.

Sick Boy

I've no doubt that self interest is behind many of the decisions being made.
But reading up on it since it's started it appear Putin has been preparing for this for some time as far as the Russian economy goes. .
I don't think the sanctions people are talking about will have quite the affect they think unless we make Russia a complete pariah state which is going to have implications for western economies, it would be a different ball game to imposing them on somewhere like Iran, would that go down well in this country? On a public that's already experiencing huge increases in heating and fuel bills on the back of the pandemic and before that bailing out the banks via austerity?

I don't have a clue what the answer is, there clearly isn't going to be a military response.
This.
The perspective of the west is western-centric and forgets that Russia is allied with the world’s largest superpower and will likely have preempted them.

skybluetony176

I was talking with someone from Moldova last night who was explaining the situation there and why it’s worrying personally for him and Moldova. I didn’t realise that Russia has troops in Moldova along its border with Ukraine and has done for years, uninvited. There’s a river that run through Moldova along that edge of its border albeit a good few miles back and is a bit of a natural border between the Romanian speaking Moldovans and the Russian speaking Moldovans (although most Moldovans speak both languages well). His worry is that if Ukraine falls Moldova will be Putins next target and best case scenario is that Romanian speaking will become part of Romania, Putin takes the rest. However Romania is in NATO so this could get more complicated still.

Ian1779

This.
The perspective of the west is western-centric and forgets that Russia is allied with the world’s largest superpower and will likely have preempted them.
It makes you wonder if the real ‘end-game’ here is a realignment of superpowers where China and Russia are #1 and #2 and the USA is #3

Users who are viewing this thread