USA Canada match thread (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

The weekend isn’t lost yet. Let’s get this thread all the way up to 5 responses/predictions

robbiekeane

I PREDICT LOTS OF SCORING AND HEADSHOTS AND PKs

AND LOTS OF WILD RENDITIONS OF THIS AWESOME SOCCER CHANT

Philosorapter

Some please explain why a 'sporting' event is called the world series when it only involves Canada and the USA?

Johhny Blue

Some please explain why a 'sporting' event is called the world series when it only involves Canada and the USA?
Imagine how the Americans took it when a Canadian team actually won it.

But back to my thread. Have you heard of the “World Cup”? Which does actually involve most of the world.

long way home

Apparently the New York world newspaper was one of only a very few places that you could find the result of the baseball game played between best in National league and American league in a series, Boston v Pittsburgh. The thought is it came from the article about the game and the result being reported by the World paper which it was known .This goes back to 1904.

Now it's used in all American sport as World champions which in my opinion is down to arrogance.

Last edited:

Finham

Imagine how the Americans took it when a Canadian team actually won it.

But back to my thread. Have you heard of the “World Cup”? Which does actually involve most of the world.
My favourite was their reaction to losing to Japan at baseball at the Olympics, :ROFLMAO:

EalingSB

I PREDICT LOTS OF SCORING AND HEADSHOTS AND PKs

AND LOTS OF WILD RENDITIONS OF THIS AWESOME SOCCER CHANT

I took the kids to the England-USA women’s World Cup semi in Lyon a couple of years ago and found this song incredible. Even better/worse, was whenever an England player committed a foul the Americans would sing ‘You can’t do that’. They did make it an occasion, though, in fairness.

Gynnsthetonic

Should be a classic game of soccer this but can see The Canada Maples scoring a last minute free shot against the USA Stars & Stripers 3 scores to 2!

SBT

Apparently the New York world newspaper was one of only a very few places that you could find the result of the baseball game played between best in National league and American league in a series, Boston v Pittsburgh. The thought is it came from the article about the game and the result being reported by the World paper which it was known .This goes back to 1904.

Now it's used in all American sport as World champions which in my opinion is down to arrogance.

Tbf, there’s no other team outside the US and Canada that’s going to beat the World Series or Super Bowl winners at their respective sports. It is quite annoying though.

Fergusons_Beard

12k fans for a huge WC qualifier for your country against arch rivals!
Really does says lot for ‘Soccer’ in North America..
Cracking game tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Tbf, there’s no other team outside the US and Canada that’s going to beat the World Series or Super Bowl winners at their respective sports. It is quite annoying though.

That's cos no-one plays it enough. Remember when we thought no-one would beat England at football, rugby and cricket?

Due to the closed competition nature of their sports there's no need to change how things are done. If you fail this year there's always next year. In fact there's the incentive for teams at the bottom to carry on being bad so they get decent draft picks. Fact lots of teams don't even have a decent back-up quarterback on the books says it all.

Considering some of the minutiae they go into for plays etc. some of the stuff they don't seem bothered about is bizarre.

CJ_covblaze

Fair play to Canada. It’s looking promising for when they host the World Cup in 2026. Herdman is doing a great job. Wouldn’t be against him taking our top job when Southgate departs.

Grendel

Fair play to Canada. It’s looking promising for when they host the World Cup in 2026. Herdman is doing a great job. Wouldn’t be against him taking our top job when Southgate departs.

US are hosting about 70% of the matches aren't they?

The tournament looks ridiculous and bloated and just a money making machine

CJ_covblaze

US are hosting about 70% of the matches aren't they?

The tournament looks ridiculous and bloated and just a money making machine

Isn’t that a fair way to describe professional football at most levels now?

Sky Blue Harry H

USA v Honduras played in -16C ! Massive country and they arrange for the game to be played at a place with the average temperature of a fridge!

Users who are viewing this thread