Us or Them (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

Gutted Sunderland sneaked a 95th minute equaliser today after being 2 v 0 down, would rather it come down to us and any other club bar them but it seems the footballing gods have decided it’s gonna come down to us or them.
If we lose 1 v 0 and they win 1 v 0 next week, we will finish the season all square on points and goal difference 🤔 what will then decide who in and who’s out, I hope it’s not goals scored.

Balli001

Gutted Sunderland sneaked a 95th minute equaliser today after being 2 v 0 down, would rather it come down to us and any other club bar them but it seems the footballing gods have decided it’s gonna come down to us or them.
If we lose 1 v 0 and they win 1 v 0 next week, we will finish the season all square on points and goal difference 🤔 what will then decide who in and who’s out, I hope it’s not goals scored.
Goals scored it is

Grendel

it is if we lose and they win they finish above us

ProfessorbyGrace

Plus, Blackburn have a game in hand, on 65 points…wow, it’s poised on a knife edge.
A draw at Middlesbrough should seal the deal, depends on Blackburn though.

rob9872

Hopefully we kick off late next week.

Mucca Mad Boys

Guys, it’s GD, H2H and then GS. Sunderland need to win and beat our GD to finish above us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Remember, a loss depletes our own GD.... so a 2-0 for them and a 0-3 for us would do it.... that type of thing is my worry...
They would need to win by 2 and us to lose by any margin. Only scenario where we end up tied is if we lose and they win by 1.

Mucca Mad Boys

Remember, a loss depletes our own GD.... so a 2-0 for them and a 0-3 for us would do it.... that type of thing is my worry...

That’s true, Middlesbrough have had some good results to this season. From our POV, we need a lot of results to go against us for us to miss out.

Sunderland, WBA and Millwall (or alternatively, Blackburn getting 6 points) getting away wins seems quite unlikely in the first place. On top of that, they all need the GD swing too.

Astute

it is if we lose and they win they finish above us
If we draw we're in the playoffs. End of.

So other than all the results that might happen how about the realistic ones? 69 points (we're already on 69 points) should be enough. 70 points is enough. We have only 1 defeat in the last 16 games (over a 1/3 of the season) Would take a right shit day for us to miss out.

steve cooper

Looking on Middlesbro's forum, they really don't want Sunderland in the playoffs.
Has no bearing on the result of the game but they hate them.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not that Michael Carrick will take any notice of the comments of course. He’ll want to win and will pick a capable side.

Frostie

Looking on Middlesbro's forum, they really don't want Sunderland in the playoffs.
Has no bearing on the result of the game but they hate them.
That's just the fans rivalry though. The team will want to play the inferior opponent in the playoffs which clearly isn't us...

Brylowes

I personally don’t buy into the rivalry thing with Sunderland, Iwas at the Bristol City game in question as a youngster and can never really remember all this controversy at the time.
To me it feels like a manufactured grudge-fest bought about because both clubs found themselves languishing in the lower leagues with no real rival.
The fact we’ve arrived at the last game of the season where we are and where they are fills me with dread, I fully expect them to turn Preston over, just hope we’ve got it in us to beat Middlesbrough.

Astute

I personally don’t buy into the rivalry thing with Sunderland, Iwas at the Bristol City game in question as a youngster and can never really remember all this controversy at the time.
To me it feels like a manufactured grudge-fest bought about because both clubs found themselves languishing in the lower leagues with no real rival.
The fact we’ve arrived at the last game of the season where we are and where they are fills me with dread, I fully expect them to turn Preston over, just hope we’ve got it in us to beat Middlesbrough.
There wasn't any rivalry before the internet.

The internet is a fantastic tool. But it is also a big stage for those who are a tool. In all my years of going to Sunderland I have never had a problem. I sometimes go to their games with mates. Everyone knows my team yet never say a word to me.

They have the same problem as we do. They have idiots amongst their fan base. But because their support is massive they have a lot more idiots.

We don't need to beat Middlesbrough. A point guarantees us a spot in the playoffs no matter what happens elsewhere.

I called it as 1-1 with Blackburn and two home wins to get us into the playoffs with 69 points. I still think that's the case. We are on a brilliant run. Only 1 defeat in the last 16 games. Good chance we will get the point we need to make sure.

Robinshio

It’s not though. We lose Sunderland win we will still be looking to agent hyam (so long as they don’t win tomorrow)
If they don’t only a Sunderland Middlesbrough Millwall treble gets in our way
Maybe a decent bet to soften the blow if it doesn’t happen

Astute

It’s not though. We lose Sunderland win we will still be looking to agent hyam (so long as they don’t win tomorrow)
If they don’t only a Sunderland Middlesbrough Millwall treble gets in our way
Maybe a decent bet to soften the blow if it doesn’t happen
We're now 1/10 with SkyBet to make the playoffs. Millwall 8/13. Sunderland 2/1 and the others 11/2.

Gint11

I don’t buy this ‘boro will field a weakened team’.

He may rest 1 or 2 but they’ll want momentum and to get a mental edge on us as likely playoff opponents. It’s going to be a difficult game for me but I also don’t see Sunderland winning at Preston either. They are hit and miss.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

If Blackburn drew tomorrow they would go to Millwall on Monday knowing a win would put them above Millwall and if they did that both would finish below us.WBA would need a 5 goal swing IE beat Swansea (form team 6 wins 2 draws last 8 matches) 3-0 and us to lose 2-0 that would be a very tall order.That would only leave Sunderland They would have to beat Preston and us to lose to go above us even then other results would leave us 6th complcated I know but who position would you rather be us or any of them.

SIR ERNIE

If they've decided they'd rather play us than Sunderland I think that may be an error on their part.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Hopefully yes but just still think they'll prefer to avoid a blood and guts local derby, especially if they can put a few lumpy tackles on Gyokeres and Hamer on the last day.

Brylowes

We don't need to beat Middlesbrough. A point guarantees us a spot in the playoffs no matter what happens elsewhere.

I called it as 1-1 with Blackburn and two home wins to get us into the playoffs with 69 points. I still think that's the case. We are on a brilliant run. Only 1 defeat in the last 16 games. Good chance we will get the point we need to make sure.
Yep good point, plenty of reasons to be positive.

Although we have to approach this game as though only a win will suffice, to try and play for the draw would be suicidal in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread