Updated - Relegation run-in: all teams' fixtures in a table (2 Viewers)

Frostie

if we can get 2 wins in our next 4, i'll feel a hell of a lot more comfortable.

We still havent spent a single day in the relegation zone yet!

I might be wrong but I think we briefly slipped in for 3 days back in October after losing at Middlesbrough. We beat Reading 3 days later & have never really looked like dropping that low since.

Magwitch1

I think if we could pick any of those lists we would snap hands off for ours, there not easy games by any means but we have good mix of middle of the table teams and Huddersfield could be one of those by the time we meet them, it is in our hands imo.

runner

Have to confess ... this weekends draw was the first time that I felt with a total lack of fire power up front and a weak and error fuelled defence that we could be one of the three to go ... up until the Wycombe game I thought we would make it to safety, but now I'm seriously worried.

Ccfcisparks

A few weeks ago in that poll I predicted relegation and unfortunately nothing has changed my mind. Would love to be wrong, for once. 😉
Quite a few people have been predicting it this season but were touted as negative when its fairly obvious we struggle to score.

Magwitch1

If we can’t get 10 points from those games we don’t deserve to survive it’s in our hands and even in the last two poor games we created five or six good chances to win both games.

Sky Blue Harry H

A few weeks ago in that poll I predicted relegation and unfortunately nothing has changed my mind. Would love to be wrong, for once. 😉

I suggest you pack your bags and get out of our country with views like that ;)

shepardo01

Rotherham's next 5 all look winnable for them -Milwall/Wycombe/Huddersfield/QPR/B'ham.

Our game still not re-arranged.

Imagine if it was actually rearranged for after the end of the season (neither of us are troubling the mathematics of anything to do with the pla-offs) and was down to that game......

I'm worrying a bit - If they pick up momentum in the next 2/3 which is not inconceivable, they'll easily be above us....

Ccfcisparks

Rotherham's next 5 all look winnable for them -Milwall/Wycombe/Huddersfield/QPR/B'ham.

Imagine if it was actually rearranged for after the end of the season (neither of us are troubling the mathematics of anything to do with the pla-offs) and was down to that game......

I'm worrying a bit - If they pick up momentum in the next 2/3 which is not inconceivable, they'll easily be above us....
I think Rotherham will be fine in all honesty. Wouldnt surprise me if they were safe already by the time they play us. Best we can hope for is Birmingham keep losing.

Pezza

I said on here after the Derby win that if we could pick up some points from Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe games then we will be in good shape, we picked up 1, albeit with only 2 of those games going ahead.

What is more worrying for me is that all I hear is how "Coventry play good football" and Mark Robins likes to playing attacking football. I haven't seen it at all in the championship, we are not a nice team to watch and we definitely aren't an attacking team.

We are a nearly team, summed up by the nearly men. O'Hare, good player but not quite at it, nearly plays his team mate in, nearly finishes that chance... Biamou, nearly scored, nearly got on the end of that... the only thing certain is that we will give away a penalty every other week and it will most likely be McFadzean.

What also really disappoints me is that this season we have players like McCallum who's attacking play is terrible, he can't cross a decent ball, his free kicks are worse. Walker probably needs service but at this level you expect much more, he is forever looking shattered, again he's 'nearly' a good player.

The Wycombe game was so predictable and I was never confident of getting anything from that game, we always beat them so in that sense it was always going to happen.

Worth reminding ourselves that we have a very small budget in this league and were in league 2 not long ago, that said we still should be doing much better.

It's time to really think about how we want to approach these final matches, how are we going to play and pick up the required points because ultimately it doesn't matter how, just that we get it done!

I've said all along, Rotherham United with stay up, Wycombe are gone, Sheffield Wednesday have a lot to do but you never know, Birmingham are garbage but have new manager bounce (potentially), Derby are falling and are piss poor, maybe the Rooney factor wearing off, they're a messy club too with ownership issues rumbling on too. I think Forest and Huddersfield will be ok and then that leaves us, how would I look at us as a neutral? I really don't know... it doesn't look good, I think having that Rotherham match postponed changed things as a win there would have created some momentum, something we really struggle to create, we don't win more than 1 game in a row, if we could that we really give us a lift and I'd start to believe.

PUSB

Frostie

Possibly, needs to be more than just them overtake us though.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think Rotherham will be fine in all honesty. Wouldnt surprise me if they were safe already by the time they play us. Best we can hope for is Birmingham keep losing.

Or Derby. With Norwich, Reading and Swansea still to play as well as games against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham their run-in isn't easy.

Their form as of late has sucked them right back into a relegation battle.

Rotherham seem to have a knack of picking up points when it matters and their win against Bristol City impressed me. However, their chances of staying up will entirely depend on how they cope with their fixture backlog.

12 games in 5 weeks is frankly ridiculous, especially when you take into account their squad size, and clubs with bigger squads would probably struggle to cope with that amount of games in such a short period of time. If they're to survive they need to be picking up as many points as possible during the first half of April, as from then on fatigue is likely to hit them hard and points will be harder to come by.

Ccfcisparks

Or Derby. With Norwich, Reading and Swansea still to play as well as games against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham their run-in isn't easy.

Their form as of late has sucked them right back into a relegation battle.

Rotherham seem to have a knack of picking up points when it matters and their win against Bristol City impressed me. However, their chances of staying up will entirely depend on how they cope with their fixture backlog.

12 games in 5 weeks is frankly ridiculous, especially when you take into account their squad size, and clubs with bigger squads would probably struggle to cope with that amount of games in such a short period of time. If they're to survive they need to be picking up as many points as possible during the first half of April, as from then on fatigue is likely to hit them hard and points will be harder to come by.
If we beat Rotherham and Rotherham beat blues it could really bury the blues.

PVA

Forest aren't out of it either, though they probably have the kindest set of fixtures.

cov donkey kick

Saturday has dented confidence in we could drop into the bottom 3 after the next 3 games as we were toothless v wycombe and after 10 minutes knew we wouldn't score.
Was hoping the ricoh effect would really focus the players mind and be a motivating effect but felt players were going through the motions the longer the game went on now that's how it felt to me and include Kelly in that also there appeared none of them were cumminicating on the pitch again just my observation. We need to be motivated come Qpr because the will be and I think we need another away win from somewhere.

Grendel

I said on here after the Derby win that if we could pick up some points from Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe games then we will be in good shape, we picked up 1, albeit with only 2 of those games going ahead.

What is more worrying for me is that all I hear is how "Coventry play good football" and Mark Robins likes to playing attacking football. I haven't seen it at all in the championship, we are not a nice team to watch and we definitely aren't an attacking team.

We are a nearly team, summed up by the nearly men. O'Hare, good player but not quite at it, nearly plays his team mate in, nearly finishes that chance... Biamou, nearly scored, nearly got on the end of that... the only thing certain is that we will give away a penalty every other week and it will most likely be McFadzean.

What also really disappoints me is that this season we have players like McCallum who's attacking play is terrible, he can't cross a decent ball, his free kicks are worse. Walker probably needs service but at this level you expect much more, he is forever looking shattered, again he's 'nearly' a good player.

The Wycombe game was so predictable and I was never confident of getting anything from that game, we always beat them so in that sense it was always going to happen.

Worth reminding ourselves that we have a very small budget in this league and were in league 2 not long ago, that said we still should be doing much better.

It's time to really think about how we want to approach these final matches, how are we going to play and pick up the required points because ultimately it doesn't matter how, just that we get it done!

I've said all along, Rotherham United with stay up, Wycombe are gone, Sheffield Wednesday have a lot to do but you never know, Birmingham are garbage but have new manager bounce (potentially), Derby are falling and are piss poor, maybe the Rooney factor wearing off, they're a messy club too with ownership issues rumbling on too. I think Forest and Huddersfield will be ok and then that leaves us, how would I look at us as a neutral? I really don't know... it doesn't look good, I think having that Rotherham match postponed changed things as a win there would have created some momentum, something we really struggle to create, we don't win more than 1 game in a row, if we could that we really give us a lift and I'd start to believe.

PUSB

Robins doesn’t play attacking football his philosophy is built around not conceding goals.

That’s ok as long as it works.

It’s a similar level of performance to the last relegation season in this league

Try and retain possession with a harmless and non threatening diamond system.

We then end up just losing or passively drawing. He’s relied on a big goal scorer in two of the last 3 seasons and now hasn’t got one. He can’t rely adapt his philosophy and his natural instinct is to get more cautious as the pressure builds

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I'm probably very wrong as I haven't watched much of them, but where has the whole 'Rotherham are a good team and will get out of it' theory come from? They were laughably defensively against us earlier in the season and they've amassed just over 1 point per game (35 from 34), and they have the most congested run you could possibly imagine still to come. I understand they also have the most favourable fixtures and wouldn't rule out them staying up, but there seems to be way too much praise for what appears a team staring down the barrel. Just interested to learn from those who are saying 'They'll get out of it', what that is based on?

RegTheDonk

Have to confess ... this weekends draw was the first time that I felt with a total lack of fire power up front and a weak and error fuelled defence that we could be one of the three to go ... up until the Wycombe game I thought we would make it to safety, but now I'm seriously worried.
Cool pic bro?

Frostie

I'm probably very wrong as I haven't watched much of them, but where has the whole 'Rotherham are a good team and will get out of it' theory come from? They were laughably defensively against us earlier in the season and they've amassed just over 1 point per game (35 from 34), and they have the most congested run you could possibly imagine still to come. I understand they also have the most favourable fixtures and wouldn't rule out them staying up, but there seems to be way too much praise for what appears a team staring down the barrel. Just interested to learn from those who are saying 'They'll get out of it', what that is based on?

Because they've got the second coming of Roberto Carlos at wing-back apparently (even though he plays even less there than he did here).

AOM

What do we think would be an acceptable return over the two Easter weekend games? Would we take 3 points out of 6?
Think that weekend could make or break a few of our relegation rivals

Otis

What do we think would be an acceptable return over the two Easter weekend games? Would we take 3 points out of 6?
4 would be fantastic. Birmingham have Swansea and Brentford.

Be lovely to be 5 points ahead and with a game in hand.

Reactions: AOM

ccfcricoh

Would be delighted with 3. (think we will get 1)

looking at other fixtures, not inconceivable that Wednesday/Blues/Huddersfield pick up no points this weekend.

That would most likely put the nail in Wednesday coffin, could leave us 4 ahead of blues with game in hand and back even with Huddersfield

Long way to go yet

But to get 3 points we need to score a goal, to score a goal we need to shoot, to shoot we need to try attacking!

Reactions: AOM

Sky Blue Harry H

Just interested to learn from those who are saying 'They'll get out of it', what that is based on?

I was at the head of the Rotherham will stay up campaign (based on their run in). They promptly lost their next few games.

Wycombe (h)
QPR (h)
Coventry (h)
Birmingham (h)
Blackburn (h)

The emboldened fixtures if played on the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday will be crucial, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them picking up a healthy haul from those 5 home games. I wish they were playing Blues just before us (as Blues will kick them about a bit), but if they only have one days rest between QPR and us, surely we can take advantage. If they pick up points early on in their remaining games, they may even play a weaker team against QPR to go for it against us (although that could be costly if it backfires) Similarly they could go for it against QPR and rest some for our game to go for it against Blues?! I hope Rotherham implode, but suspect they will not be in the bottom 3 come the end of the season - injuries may well decide their fate.

Last edited:

AOM

Would be delighted with 3. (think we will get 1)

looking at other fixtures, not inconceivable that Wednesday/Blues/Huddersfield pick up no points this weekend.

That would most likely put the nail in Wednesday coffin, could leave us 4 ahead of blues with game in hand and back even with Huddersfield

Long way to go yet

But to get 3 points we need to score a goal, to score a goal we need to shoot, to shoot we need to try attacking!

Yep, Rotherham's two games look winnable but all the other teams around us have some pretty rough fixtures so hopefully we can gain some breathing space.

Can see Robins setting up to not lose either game again, and try and sneak a goal in somewhere

Sky Blue Harry H

Without wingers (we only ever had Giles) we are relatively hamstrung (sorry, Kelly) with our set up, and the only real tweak is between one and two up top. Really hoping for one win from the next two games, which I'll be happy with. Luckily for us sounds like O'Dowda from Bristol City will be out injured. Also if Walsh plays on the Friday, unsure if he'll be risked for the Monday game against us. Fancy us to win that game.

Hobo

Robins doesn’t play attacking football his philosophy is built around not conceding goals.

That’s ok as long as it works.

It’s a similar level of performance to the last relegation season in this league

Try and retain possession with a harmless and non threatening diamond system.

We then end up just losing or passively drawing. He’s relied on a big goal scorer in two of the last 3 seasons and now hasn’t got one. He can’t rely adapt his philosophy and his natural instinct is to get more cautious as the pressure builds

No he doesn't, he is not defensive. He sets up to win midfield and dominate the game.

That is how we got promoted twice.

Playing at this higher level it is more difficult especially with the quality of player we have. Like League 0ne and League Two The Championship has 6 or 7 teams that are a cut above. The difference in The Championship is the teams below to top 7 are far more capable who can beat any team in the league on their day; but lack the consistency.

All season we have created chances in most games and as many as the opposition. We are not negative, we just dont convert the chances. Also individual errors and penalties have cost us. Half the penalty count and we would of had a few more points on the board.

It is fine margins. It is frustating because a few less penalties a few more chances taken and we would have been safe already.

It is still in our own hands. We have had a slight dip in form, but hopefully we pick up and kick on to the finishline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread