Up there with my top 5 home games (1 Viewer)

Milne Out

Yesterdays victory was SO sweet
It’s right up there with my 5 most memorable home games watching City

My Top 5, before yesterday

3-2 City v West Ham - League Cup Semi
Garry Thomson’s goal will live with me forever. Probably our greatest ever comeback. The way he turned and drilled it in. Goosebumps even thinking about it

3-0 City v Villa - Boxing Day masterclass from Robert Rosario & Micky Quinn
Highlight of the game being an 80+ year old lady in front of me singing SOTV at the top of her voice

2-1 City v Villa - Cedric Roussels bulllet header, in front of the East stand and Robbie Keane doing what he did best in front of the West end
On the way home in the car listening to CwR and their replay of the goals with Rob Gurney shouting “Are you watching Gregory”

3-2 Man United - The Huckerby game
No better place to seal the winner in the dying minutes than in front of the adoring West End - A game immortalised by all who were there . I was lucky enough to be there soaked with my 6 year old son on the front row as Huckerby celebrated

6-2 City v Derby - Last Game at HR
Abiding memory of the day
Had to be Andy Whing’s goal and celebration . Epic …
What a way to go out

But yesterday . It was special
And right up there with those games

be great to hear other top 5s

Fluffsta

Sat 19 Dec 1992 - Coventry 5 Liverpool 1

I remember being in the West Tarrace for this game right behind the goal and it was amazing as ever sitting in the West terrace but proper special though on this day. I remember we had a decent 1st half against the Reds but when we came out for the 2nd half we absolutely smashed them.

I remember everybody having a 'disco' around the ground. I also remember waiting for a bus home just outside Hobdays Pet Shop with my mates and Liverpool fans throwing cans of lager at us from thier cars as they were travelling back home down Ansty Road. I remember one mate laughing as they missed us with a projectile so they all got out of the car and chased us down a side street. We were proper fast lol.

Skyblue Bangkok

Blimey, how exactly did Huckerby celebrate?
My top 5 home games Wolves ,1967, 4-3 win against Spurs the season we beat then in the Cup final , 3-2 win over Arsenal when Keane scored that 3-2 win over Manure when Huckerby scored that goal the fans went mental celebrating and lastly the 5-4 win over Norwich amazing goal by Ian Wallace . Norwich pen saved in the last few seconds.

clint van damme

My top 5 home games Wolves ,1967, 4-3 win against Spurs the season we beat then in the Cup final , 3-2 win over Arsenal when Keane scored that 3-2 win over Manure when Huckerby scored that goal the fans went mental celebrating and lastly the 5-4 win over Norwich amazing goal by Ian Wallace . Norwich pen saved in the last few seconds.

Wasn't at Wolves but I'd have the Spurs, Man U and Norwich games in my top 5, have to have a good think about the other 2.

Sbarcher

Special place for the Utd win. Had 3-2 @ 40/1.

Milne Out

I remember being in the West Tarrace for this game right behind the goal and it was amazing as ever sitting in the West terrace but proper special though on this day. I remember we had a decent 1st half against the Reds but when we came out for the 2nd half we absolutely smashed them.

I remember everybody having a 'disco' around the ground. I also remember waiting for a bus home just outside Hobdays Pet Shop with my mates and Liverpool fans throwing cans of lager at us from thier cars as they were travelling back home down Ansty Road. I remember one mate laughing as they missed us with a projectile so they all got out of the car and chased us down a side street. We were proper fast lol.
A great game , but my favourite Liverpool game was the 1-0 in 1978 when Ferguson scored for City
On that day Jim Blyth in goal for City was unbeatable, and the feeling of pride leaving the ground that day after beating the mighty Liverpool was unreal. Everyone at school supported Liverpool, United or Leeds, so to hang on beat them that day was immense for bragging rights at school on the Monday

To make it even better ,I’m sure it was one of our rare games on MOTD ,

Think it was that game that got United interested in Blyth, enough to almost make him the highest fee for a goalie

Skyblue Bangkok

A great game , but my favourite Liverpool game was the 1-0 in 1978 when Ferguson scored for City
On that day Jim Blyth in goal for City was unbeatable, and the feeling of pride leaving the ground that day after beating the mighty Liverpool was unreal. Everyone at school supported Liverpool, United or Leeds, so to hang on beat them that day was immense for bragging rights at school on the Monday

To make it even better ,I’m sure it was one of our rare games on MOTD ,

Think it was that game that got United interested in Blyth, enough to almost make him the highest fee for a goalie
I went to that 1-0 win against Liverpool, Blyth was unbeatable that day . Went to watch a band that night called Bebop Deluxe.

ovduk78

I went to that 1-0 win against Liverpool, Blyth was unbeatable that day . Went to watch a band that night called Bebop Deluxe.
Jim Blyth's penalty save was used on Grandstand opening/closing highlights for ages afterwards. Also from that season the 4-2 win against Man City when Mick Fergusin scored a hat trick in last 10 minutes was a great game.

My brother had a Bebop deluxe album!

Skyblue Bangkok

Jim Blyth's penalty save was used on Grandstand opening/closing highlights for ages afterwards. Also from that season the 4-2 win against Man City when Mick Fergusin scored a hat trick in last 10 minutes was a great game.

They actually mentioned the game during the gig. I can remember one track of theirs " Panic in the World" I think.

Senior Vick from Alicante

The one thing I will say about the game was it was a proper football match. Two really great sides and a great atmosphere, the level of football played on Saturday was higher than most supporters have seen. Skill, speed, aggression and passion with intelligent play thrown on top. You would be hard to see a better Championship game of football all season, that was the kind of level you will have to reach as a minimum on a weekly basis in the Premier League. If we can stay at that level on a weekly basis we go up its that simple, the players need not fear any team. Mark Robins, Viveash and Lawrence are proving again what good coaches can do with potential, were lucky to have them.

Sky Blue Harry H

Norwich away is potentially tricky (now that Sargent - good player - is back) and West Brom away will be tough - we haven't really troubled their defence recently (plus they've got that Dike back). If we can win one of those two, then I'd happily take that. Only really Southampton away after that will be very difficult to get anything. Leeds at home will be like Leicester again!!

Milne Out

Wolv

Wolves game was my first ever game. I can't find any footage of the 5-4 Norwich game , amazing goal by Wallace.
If ever I wished there was footage of a game
It would be Norwich 5-4 game
It spawned a year of attempted bicycle kicks in the park and playground as we all tried to emulate Ian Wallace’s wonder goal

mmttww

You would be hard to see a better Championship game of football all season, that was the kind of level you will have to reach as a minimum on a weekly basis in the Premier League. If we can stay at that level on a weekly basis we go up its that simple, the players need not fear any team.

Really good post.

SkyBlueAussie

1st one ever for me City v Wolves 1967 and of course

City v Bristol City 1977... 2-2. Hutch getting both goals.
Will always remember the scoreboard saying it had finished 1-0 Everton v Sunderland, and so both teams just passed back to the Goalkeeper. But, not sure if anyone else remembers that with just a minute to go the scoreboard announced a correction to the Everton match score. Everyone held their breath, as draw up there meant City were relegated. But it got corrected to 2-0

oscillatewildly

We certainly didn't have a decent 1st half against them - Bugsy's penalty to put us into the break one up came well against the run of play.
The second half tho as you say was Sky Blue annihilation.

clint van damme

Norwich away is potentially tricky (now that Sargent - good player - is back) and West Brom away will be tough - we haven't really troubled their defence recently (plus they've got that Dike back). If we can win one of those two, then I'd happily take that. Only really Southampton away after that will be very difficult to get anything. Leeds at home will be like Leicester again!!

What the hell is going on here?!

Adge

The one thing I will say about the game was it was a proper football match. Two really great sides and a great atmosphere, the level of football played on Saturday was higher than most supporters have seen. Skill, speed, aggression and passion with intelligent play thrown on top. You would be hard to see a better Championship game of football all season, that was the kind of level you will have to reach as a minimum on a weekly basis in the Premier League. If we can stay at that level on a weekly basis we go up its that simple, the players need not fear any team. Mark Robins, Viveash and Lawrence are proving again what good coaches can do with potential, were lucky to have them.
It’s a great league the Championship and is really like a Premier League 2 (with the big name teams in it) but more competitive.
As long as we are competing, which we now are at the right end, I wouldn’t mind if it took us another 10 years to make it back to the Premier League but think we will make it within the next 5.
Oh and the best match was City 4-3 Spurs league game in the 87 cup final season. Think that was Houchens first goal aswell for Cov? 🤔

shmmeee

The 4-3 spurs game was my second ever game and is definitely my favourite ever game. As a nine year old it was just the most amazing experience. The last game at HR comes pretty high up just because it was a proper party!

The 5-4 Forest cup game was like that for me. Must have been my first season, not sure how many games I’d been to, but one of those games that just hooks you on the sport.

Adge

The 5-4 Forest cup game was like that for me. Must have been my first season, not sure how many games I’d been to, but one of those games that just hooks you on the sport.
Good shout! Forgot about that one. 👍

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

All of the above.

Let's throw another one in, Wolves away City needed to win the game to qualify for European football, watch by 12 thousand Sky Blues fans, 1978 if my memory serves me right.

City won the game 1.0 thanks to a Rafferty goal 🥅

Brylowes

In no particular order
1. Cov 5 v 4 Norwich. Freezing cold the day after Boxing Day, game had everything 1977
2. Cov 4 v 0 Liverpool. Terry Gibson hat trick 1983
3. Cov 3 v 2 Man Utd. Darren Huckerby solo winner 1997
4. Cov 4 v 2 Man City. Mick Ferguson hat trick, my first midweek match at HR 1977
5. Cov 4 v 1 Everton. Last match & needing a win to stay up against the champions 1985

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Yesterdays victory was SO sweet
It’s right up there with my 5 most memorable home games watching City

My Top 5, before yesterday

3-2 City v West Ham - League Cup Semi
Garry Thomson’s goal will live with me forever. Probably our greatest ever comeback. The way he turned and drilled it in. Goosebumps even thinking about it

3-0 City v Villa - Boxing Day masterclass from Robert Rosario & Micky Quinn
Highlight of the game being an 80+ year old lady in front of me singing SOTV at the top of her voice

2-1 City v Villa - Cedric Roussels bulllet header, in front of the East stand and Robbie Keane doing what he did best in front of the West end
On the way home in the car listening to CwR and their replay of the goals with Rob Gurney shouting “Are you watching Gregory”

3-2 Man United - The Huckerby game
No better place to seal the winner in the dying minutes than in front of the adoring West End - A game immortalised by all who were there . I was lucky enough to be there soaked with my 6 year old son on the front row as Huckerby celebrated

6-2 City v Derby - Last Game at HR
Abiding memory of the day
Had to be Andy Whing’s goal and celebration . Epic …
What a way to go out

But yesterday . It was special
And right up there with those games

be great to hear other top 5s
West Ham 3-2 . Yep. Thompson OG as well.
Liverpool. 4-0
5-4 Norwich. League 1976?

Bristol 2-2. Shh. Great game.
6-2 Derby
Leicester.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread