Under 23’s ?? (1 Viewer)

Deity

I don’t watch our under 23’s but I’m surprised very few ever appear to be pushing to make the first team squad …. Even Howley is technically in the age group below.

What is the issue ? Is our academy just not attracting the right calibre players because of our category status ??

There isn’t much value in an under 23 set up if it can’t push to make a 20 man match day squad ….

PVA

I think the youth teams have been a victim of the clubs sudden rise up the leagues.

It's not like signing players for the first team, you're signing players to (hopefully!) come good in 3 or 5 or more years time.

So when you're in League Two you're going to attract league two level youth players then you end up in the championship a few years later and your youth teams look comparatively weak.

procdoc

I think the youth teams have been a victim of the clubs sudden rise up the leagues.

It's not like signing players for the first team, you're signing players to (hopefully!) come good in 3 or 5 or more years time.

So when you're in League Two you're going to attract league two level youth players then you end up in the championship a few years later and your youth teams look comparatively weak.
A lot of clubs in our catchment area too so the best ones end up at Villa, Leicester etc

Julie SBA

We either need to invest in it and compete locally (stop selling younger developing players) or chop it and just run a B Team.
Cost wise the later would be much cheaper and we'd only need one training ground.
We'd still have got the likes of McCallum and Hyam, but missed out on the likes of Eccles, Burroughs and Howley.

Jamieb87ccfc

The academy has more produced a lot more talent than just those three named. The u23s is what the majority of clubs have and it works. It’s a step up from u18s before the first team. You can’t afford to lose the academy and that production line.

Deity

The academy has more produced a lot more talent than just those three named. The u23s is what the majority of clubs have and it works. It’s a step up from u18s before the first team. You can’t afford to lose the academy and that production line.
Very little evidence that it works. Clubs are promoting their most talented players into their first team squad before the age of 20 now. The next most talented then get loans out of the club to help their development. I can’t recall a single player who had not broken through until they had featured regularly for the under 23’s.

ceetee

Six trialists on the team sheet for game against Stratford today No fringe players as far as I know

slowpoke

A lot of the 21s only came back from Portugal yesterday I would think most of the Cov. team will be U/18s and trialists.

Users who are viewing this thread