Uber for Matt? (1 Viewer)

Diogenes

It's getting painful to watch is this.

If Godden continues in this vain for the rest of the season it's going to mar the tail end of his CCFC career which is pretty sad to see.

Robins can be behind the curve on some things (move to 4 at the back and subs) but he tends to be quite brutal with players, so this just seems odd. Can only be he doesn't trust Simms as its certainly not the case of Godden excelling and pushing Simms out the team.

I would love for someone in L1 snap him up and see him bang in a dozen goals in the last half of the season.

Not sure what the answer is for us though - it doesn't look like anyone is coming in but Godden isn't the answer. It's time to move on.

Matt smith

It's getting painful to watch is this.

If Godden continues in this vain for the rest of the season it's going to mar the tail end of his CCFC career which is pretty sad to see.

Robins can be behind the curve on some things (move to 4 at the back and subs) but he tends to be quite brutal with players, so this just seems odd. Can only be he doesn't trust Simms as its certainly not the case of Godden excelling and pushing Simms out the team.

I would love for someone in L1 snap him up and see him bang in a dozen goals in the last half of the season.

Not sure what the answer is for us though - it doesn't look like anyone is coming in but Godden isn't the answer. It's time to move on.
He’ll be gone come to the summer surely

ccfc1234

Godden up top on his own is as questionable as playing Fadz in a back 4. It just would not work. Robins appears to recognise Fadz's physical imitations while ignoring how the system we play doesn't suit Matty all that much.

rexo87

Yeah there’s only so many points we can pick up playing with 10 men every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

long way home

Sadly if he doesn't get the ball to stick to link up play he becomes a passenger. He has lost a step and really it puts us in a position that if its not a perfect pass he cant get on it.

Im sure Robins knows this and im surprised we haven't tried o get him a move to L1 where i think he would be very useful.

ptr

He can't play as a lone striker, he offers no threat at all. Championship defenders must love playing against him.

He's not even gambling on balls into the box anymore e.g. the Milan ball fizzed across 6 yard box.

Exactly this. Dream to play against at the moment.

olderskyblue

Not sure tonight’s game was the right one to judge him on. We were awful, only a few players gave decent performances. A striker on his own can’t do much with such abysmal service.

ptr

Not sure tonight’s game was the right one to judge him on. We were awful, only a few players gave decent performances. A striker on his own can’t do much with such abysmal service.

It is not just judged on tonight’s game. We need a runner in behind. Especially when Wright isn’t playing.

He is quite literally outpaced by every opponent. He’s been unbelievable for us, absolutely brilliant but we have outgrown him and we need better.

olderskyblue

It is not just judged on tonight’s game. We need a runner in behind. Especially when Wright isn’t playing.

He is quite literally outpaced by every opponent. He’s been unbelievable for us, absolutely brilliant but we have outgrown him and we need better.
I think he’s always been like that though, but he’s always managed to get goals. I don’t know the stats, but I think his conversion rate must be down from previous seasons?

ptr

I think he’s always been like that though, but he’s always managed to get goals. I don’t know the stats, but I think his conversion rate must be down from previous seasons?

His conversion rate is pretty fucking good this year actually because he’s had nothing to convert. Hard to look at shots/goal ratio when he doesn’t have any.

No shots to convert tonight. Should try running to the front post where all of our crosses end up.

Alkhen

He just needs to move it to the next stage of his career. Stop the sulking and be happy to be that first choice option off the bench.

As most everyone else I think he is the best finisher in the squad, that's really useful off the bench. It's clear his pace is fading so why not be happy to be the player we bring on against tired legs. Let Simms and Wright soften up the defenders and drop him on to run hard for 20-30 mins. Worked against Oxford

Last edited:

Briles

Anywhere in the box and he’s deadly. Unfortunately by the time he gets there now he’s too fked to do owt

Mucca Mad Boys

In fairness to Godden, his value is and always has been his finishing. As a team, we have struggled to create chances in the box for any of our strikers.

For me, it’s a system rather than a hardware issue, and Godden in this system is not the person to deliver the output we need.

It’s 12 league games without a goal now and if Godden strops about game time, you only have to point to that. As a club, we really need to find out if Simms is up to it and rotating Godden and Simms every game is just not ideal.

That and Simms has scored more goals too.

chinamans view

Its getting painful to watch him play now, he hardly ever touches the ball and when he does touch it ,its mostly a bad pass or touch. he should not be playing in this league now. MR must see this now its holding us back.

Skyblue Bangkok

Its getting painful to watch him play now, he hardly ever touches the ball and when he does touch it ,its mostly a bad pass or touch. he should not be playing in this league now. MR must see this now its holding us back.
Oggy keeps on saying Godden is a "goal scorer " but he's scored 3 goals in his last 16 games I think.

Fluffsta

Godden doesn't suit the new formation. He cannot play alone up front and needs to be in the box ready so it really doesn't suit the new formation. I think his time is done really. Been a great servant to the club

SleepyGinger

I’d rather go with Godden and Simms til the end of the season and sign a striker in the summer. You’ll pay a massive premium on any player in January, especially Strikers.

JoeCCFCPUSB

He just doesn't suit our style of football anymore. We play link up football that is heavily based upon the technical capabilities of being able to play fast passing football in really tight spaces that eventually opens up a defence and creates a goalscoring opportunity. Sakamoto, Milan, O'Hare and Kasey Palmer are all naturals when it comes to this. This type of football is highly risky as it leaves you massively open if it back fires, this is where Sakamoto and Milan show just how good they are, they both have incredible pace to get back but they also are willing to get back every single time.

Godden doesn't have the required tools to fit in with these players when they are playing 1 touch passes at a really fast pace, Godden wants a ball to fall to him 6 yards out with the opposition defender slightly off balance. The best thing for Godden would be to move on as soon as possible, he is still at a level and an age where he could play in the Championship. I would even go as far as saying he could play for the likes of Cardiff, QPR, Millwall, Blackburn, Rotherham, Wednesday or even Birmingham City could be a brilliant opportunity for him simply because of the fact it is on the doorstep for him.

I wish Godden all the success, he has been an incredible player for us and he deserves to be playing in a side that matches his level. If that means playing for Birmingham City then good for him, at 32/33 he is at the final stages of his career and he has been living locally now for years so if signing for a club down the road from us makes sense for him and his family then good for him.

stevefloyd

Anywhere in the box and he’s deadly. Unfortunately by the time he gets there now he’s too fked to do owt
No...by the time he gets there the opposition have passed the ball, I think Robins is using him all wrong, not that I am trying to go against Robins. I think he gets a game because Robins sees he is our best 'finisher' and its more in hope/expectation/desperation but unfortunately Godden is not showing the goals or performance for the trust Robins is putting in him, sadly its time for new pastures for Matty, thats not meant as a slagging off for him its just fact!!!

skyblu3sk

Agree with all of the above we look so much more dangerous and likely to score without him on the pitch and it's all to do with the build up play where we have to nip in and get balls just before defenders which takes strength and/or pace without it we don't create space and don't create chances apart from the odd cross in to the box.

Terry Gibson's perm

How many times did he touch the ball last night it felt like it was single figures, he is a passenger he isn’t getting the chances he used to get as he doesn’t have the speed to get in front anymore.

Age shows in strikers sooner than the rest, look back at Ian Wright his whole game seemed to unravel overnight at the end of his career.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Before the game, I understood why he had been selected, as I thought we would have more possession/control - and we would be looking to slide him in with short quick passes. Sheaf got injured, they bossed the first half and when we did have the ball, it was usually at the back - looking like we didn't know what to do with it - and most of the forward balls were pumped up to him with his back to the goal - the polar opposite of what he needs. Circumstances were against him - and we rightly changed things in the second half.

Offhegoes

When we changed to a more direct style last season, due to the lack of AMs, Godden struggled. He was played as a foil for Vic, and it never worked, but the only other options were McGuire, Waghorn or Walker. He was doing a "Job" for the team.
It has kind of rolled into this season. I am not convinced his legs are gone, I just think our change in formations has not suited his game. Get the feeling he won't be happy with being a bench player though.

Tomh111

Our striker as we are now needs to be running in behind and stretching the defence/pushing the defence deeper, to create space for attacking midfielders.

Godden doesn't seem to do that, or have the have to threaten them. They can play a higher line and compress the pitch because they know they can cover.

Simms looks devoid of confidence, like he is second-guessing everything and overthinking - but he has the pave and strength to force a team deeper.

His touch last night was poor, but he ran channels and took his goal well. Controlled a finish and made the effort to follow the initial shot in.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

alexccfc99

Did he actually touch the ball more than 10 times last night?

He will still chip in with the odd goal between now and the end of the season but if we are going with this system from here on in you'd imagine his days in a City shirt are numbered

False9

He will still chip in with the odd goal between now and the end of the season but if we are going with this system from here on in you'd imagine his days in a City shirt are numbered
I'm not even sure this bit is even true anymore.

He has 1 goal in last 23 games against Champ teams.

AOM

Still think he has something to offer to the team for this season, but I'm really sentimental with the older guard and don't want players like Kelly or McFadzean to go either :cry:

As people say though, he's not really suited to this formation and it also sounds like he might not be happy if he's not a regular starter either (which is fair enough I guess).
Still the best finisher at the club imo, but the game is passing him by a bit with the way we're currently set up to play

Users who are viewing this thread