Match Thread U23s v Charlton (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

That seems a stronger team than we've put out in recent games.

Frostie

Really strong that. Think there's another game on Thursday too, interesting to see what we do for that one as well.
Great to see Josh Reid on the comeback trail.

Frostie

I assume thats....

Tyler
Pask Eccles Thompson
Burroughs Allen Sheaf Shipley Newton
Bakayoko Gyökeres

?

Frostie

Also potentially:
Tyler
Burroughs - Pask - Thompson - Newton
Eccles - Sheaf - Shipley
Allen
Baka - Gyokeres

Possible... I know we like to keep roughly the same system(s) as the first team & that would be very light on attacking width but you never know.

shmmeee

I suspect that after the last couple of games Robins has told the fringe players like Shippers, Pask, Gyorkes, Sheaf and so on to go out and prove they deserve a chance to start for the first team

IMO Pask and Sheaf have been doing that on the pitch.

chiefdave

Does the international break mean they could play U23s today and then be isolated from the 1st team until their next test without the level of disruption it would cause normally or is the idea that they're being kept separate not correct?

Sky Blue Harry H

Makes sense to get some minutes into players around the edge of the first team. Interesting to see if he gives Walker an/or Godden any minutes on Thursday (MR will be damned if he does/doesn't for that in respect of risking potential injuries v not giving hem useful game time) Who'd be a football manager? It's much easier to sit on the side and snipe.

Nick

Administrator
I suspect that after the last couple of games Robins has told the fringe players like Shippers, Pask, Gyorkes, Sheaf and so on to go out and prove they deserve a chance to start for the first team

Should be doing that every week surely?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Makes sense to get some minutes into players around the edge of the first team. Interesting to see if he gives Walker an/or Godden any minutes on Thursday (MR will be damned if he does/doesn't for that in respect of risking potential injuries v not giving hem useful game time) Who'd be a football manager? It's much easier to sit on the side and snipe.

Little point in risking Godden. If he's still experiencing pain it's illogical to be throwing him into U23 games and risk aggravating his foot. As frustrating as it is for both player and manager it's clear his minutes will have to be managed constructively for at least the first half of April.

shmmeee

Thing is, all those in the first team looked off the Championship pace when we started, and took about ten games to get into it. Some seem to never have been given that chance and now haven’t got the time to get used to it. I’m not saying Jobello is the answer, but in a season crying out for someone in his position you’d think he’d at least have been given more than a couple of five minute cameos.

Frostie

Can't really blame him to be honest. There are a few players that probably feel as if they deserve a chance.

Feel a bit sorry for Jobello. He looked ok at the start of last season & worked really hard to get fit again but he's returned to a team that no longer plays with wingers so can't get a look in. Just bad luck.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Feel a bit sorry for Jobello. He looked ok at the start of last season & worked really hard to get fit again but he's returned to a team that no longer plays with wingers so can't get a look in. Just bad luck.

Yeah, it is really. Although my opinion, at least, is that we need to sack the current system off anyway. I don't think we have looked very comfortable with five at the back for most of the season.

There's certainly some players that I feel deserve a chance to show what they can do.

cc84cov

Surely jobello is an option off the bench

Frostie

Surely jobello is an option off the bench

To play where?

If we wanted to try a system with wingers, sure we could use him but he's the only natural winger available now so it's square pegs in round holes on the other side.

AOM

To play where?

If we wanted to try a system with wingers, sure we could use him but he's the only natural winger available now so it's square pegs in round holes on the other side.

Could possibly play him in that RWB slot for an attacking option similar to Dacosta. Think both are probably quite suspect defensively.
Doesn't sound like Jobello has set the world alight in the U23 games though

Briles

Shipley 2-0

stevefloyd

Is it really 2-0 at least they have found their level because sadly they don't do it in the first team, unless we are desperate I doubt they will play in the first team again

PS this is not meaning to diss them either !!!

Users who are viewing this thread