U23 v Millwall (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Kelly was very good btw, talking the younger lads through the game. Bench Wednesday. Howley another effortless display. If he keeps going the way he is got a real chance.

Tavares took his 2 goals well, could have had a couple more. Would like to see him NL/League 2 club in January. Others like Rowe, Reid and Ngandu in limbo atm good performers for 23s but not near first team, needs loans to try and bridge the gap.

robbiethemole

what I don't get really, is other sides blood their younger players but we keep ours wrapped up. Tavares has been scoring regularly and doesn't get a look in but a lad younger than him, Colwill, scores 2 yesterday for Cardiff. Several other sides had young lads playing Saturday. Do we really have such strength in depth we don't want to play him or are Cardiff down to bare bones?

skybluegod

what I don't get really, is other sides blood their younger players but we keep ours wrapped up. Tavares has been scoring regularly and doesn't get a look in but a lad younger than him, Colwill, scores 2 yesterday for Cardiff. Several other sides had young lads playing Saturday. Do we really have such strength in depth we don't want to play him or are Cardiff down to bare bones?

Are you dropping godden or walker then? Both who have proven goal scoring records in division below and were joint top scorers here last season? That's why he's not getting a chance at the moment.

We hardly have a bad record for bringing through youth players either compared to the likes of Cardiff

cc84cov

Kelly was very good btw, talking the younger lads through the game. Bench Wednesday. Howley another effortless display. If he keeps going the way he is got a real chance.

Tavares took his 2 goals well, could have had a couple more. Would like to see him NL/League 2 club in January. Others like Rowe, Reid and Ngandu in limbo atm good performers for 23s but not near first team, needs loans to try and bridge the gap.
Maybe we should sell them to a prem club “
😁

SlowerThanPlatt

The U23 games are not comparable to first team football, training up against men is where you show your worth. I believe MR would give anyone a chance if he felt they could contribute something. Howley is 17 but has been around the first team this season

robbiethemole

Are you dropping godden or walker then? Both who have proven goal scoring records in division below and were joint top scorers here last season? That's why he's not getting a chance at the moment.

We hardly have a bad record for bringing through youth players either compared to the likes of Cardiff
No not at all, I just wondered how we bring these young lads through like other sides do, I know we have more strength on the bench

better days

Don't know about that
Eccles was going to be a regular until his injury

AOM

Think he's just unlucky with timing at the moment too, as we're still trying to get two of our four main strikers back to fitness and the other two are hitting form so it's hard to fit him in.
Shame we're out of the league cup so soon, would have been a good opportunity for minutes

SlowerThanPlatt

Don't know about that
Eccles was going to be a regular until his injury
Yes he’s a good example. Got regular men’s football in League 1, came back here and impressed when given the chance. Would be in the 18 I think if he wasn’t injured. Someone like Tavares needs to do the same

procdoc

Who, Jobello?

Used to see him at St Andrews, he had a massive East 17 style coat.

giphy.gif
I met Jobello in Fever down Nuneaton when he first joined. He was in a booth with Corey Addai

PVA

Yes he’s a good example. Got regular men’s football in League 1, came back here and impressed when given the chance. Would be in the 18 I think if he wasn’t injured. Someone like Tavares needs to do the same

Ahead of who though?

With Kelly to come back, add in Eccles, who are the two to miss out?

I say that as a big fan of Eccles.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

If Tavares

Ahead of who though?

With Kelly to come back, add in Eccles, who are the two to miss out?

I say that as a big fan of Eccles.

At the start of the season then it would have been his place to lose really. Think he would have been on it for one of Allen or Shipley

PVA

At the start of the season then it would have been his place to lose really. Think he would have been on it for one of Allen or Shipley

Yeah definitely ahead of Shipley.

Unlucky timing with the injury but he's going to find it difficult to get back in now.

Hamer, Sheaf, Kelly, Allen all ahead of him. Of course some of those are going to get injured and suspended at various points so he'll get a chance, but probably not as many as we expected at the start of the season.

fatso

Who do you suggest we drop?
Remember Ponticelli scored for fun at U23 level, he's now non league! There's absolutely no comparison between U23 vs first team football, its quite literally men against boys!

robbiethemole

I didn't suggest we dropped anyone.......... just that other sides get their lads through and we seem to hold ours back. That may be because we have better players waiting to come in, and we hear so much about how well the lads play but don't get to see it.
I know there's a big gulf, but if you're good enough it shouldn't matter how old you are.

Gibbo

No player has come through the Youth Programme to be a regular first team pick since we were in League 2. December of that season, so it is pushing four years. So no we don't have a good record at all for regularly producing talent. And neither of the last two - Bayliss and Shipley - appear to be Championship standard. What we seem to do is develop players who then ply their trade in lower divisions - like Ponticelli and Stevenson. I suspect Ngandu will be the next to go that way

There is alot of hot air spoken about our youth programme imho.

fernandopartridge

Think Jones and Godden are likely to be involved on Wednesday
Godden is always a threat and Jones was apparently very good in the game v Salford
I guess McCarthy is planning to make it hard for O'Hare and Hamer so Robins might want another option up his sleeve late on
I thought Cardiff were quite open in midfield v Forest but that was second half when they went after the game

SlowerThanPlatt

No player has come through the Youth Programme to be a regular first team pick since we were in League 2. December of that season, so it is pushing four years. So no we don't have a good record at all for regularly producing talent. And neither of the last two - Bayliss and Shipley - appear to be Championship standard. What we seem to do is develop players who then ply their trade in lower divisions - like Ponticelli and Stevenson. I suspect Ngandu will be the next to go that way

Surely you would to collect the data of the other 91 clubs and see where we rank to get a reflection of performance?

Like this

fernandopartridge

It's funny really, we signed Tav from Rochdale but have loaned them another of our players in a similar position

fernandopartridge

Why would he get a game though? Our strikers are performing

SBchimp

Surely you would to collect the data of the other 91 clubs and see where we rank to get a reflection of performance?

Like this

Oh come on, that doesn't count.... That includes the two England internationals that we sold that are playing regularly in the Premier League..

Kieranp96

The U23 games are not comparable to first team football, training up against men is where you show your worth. I believe MR would give anyone a chance if he felt they could contribute something. Howley is 17 but has been around the first team this season
Just use pontecelli as an example 30 goals in u23 and can not find the net for shit 🤣

skybluegod

No not at all, I just wondered how we bring these young lads through like other sides do, I know we have more strength on the bench

I think at this level now, we need to develop better relationships with lower League teams and loan them out for experience. Similar to Eccles so they can prove themselves in the men's game. Reality is, they won't get many chances in our team now unless they are exceptional or through injury

skybluegod

Where did I say regulars tbf? You aren't going to have a player every year that comes into start.

We are supposedly the best in the EFL are we not?

Users who are viewing this thread