U23 v Cardiff today (3 Viewers)

itsabuzzard

You could literally say the same thing about any 23 year old Male with 2 legs!
With the right attitude and coaching he could even become a brain surgeon or mitchellin stared chef!
Would it be Grant or Phil Mitchell doing the staring?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

DannyThomas_1981

Why do people just have to find something to be critical of? Robins and his team will recruit players that work out and players that don't. Same as EVERY SINGLE CLUB EVER. Wenger signed Henry, and he signed Jeffers. Man City signed Auguero, and they signed Rodwell. Discussing the finer points of one signing that didn't work out - and is now being managed assertively - when the current side is full of recent signings that improved the squad massively seems like such a waste of time.

100% right.

If we won the Champions League, 3 seasons from now giving Liverpool a few lessons in total football in the final - the usual suspects on here would still find something to moan about. Guaranteed.

It's what they live for - criticising and targeting certain players. Hoping beyond hope they are proved right and piling in after what they see as a poor performance. The 'taxi for Robins crew' and to a man obviously tactical football and scouting geniuses - who by the way have never even kicked a ball in anger beyond turning out for the 'Dog and Duck' pissed on a Sunday morning in the 80s. And being totally crap at that level.

SkyBlueCRJ

100% right.

If we won the Champions League, 3 seasons from now giving Liverpool a few lessons in total football in the final - the usual suspects on here would still find something to moan about. Guaranteed.

It's what they live for - criticising and targeting certain players. Hoping beyond hope they are proved right and piling in after what they see as a poor performance. The 'taxi for Robins crew' and to a man obviously tactical football and scouting geniuses - who by the way have never even kicked a ball in anger beyond turning out for the 'Dog and Duck' pissed on a Sunday morning in the 80s. And being totally crap at that level.

Why are you getting so angry about something that warrants criticism? This is a football forum, if you want to kiss Badlan's arse rather than offer opinion then I'm sure the club would kindly pass on his contact details. Or better yet I believe he has a Twitter account.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

You said he shouldn’t be playing his trade at a higher level. I’m saying if he got his head right and had some footballing sense coached into him he should on raw ability and physical stats alone.
I'd just like to rubbish this sentiment that 'physical stats alone' can make you a Championship player. Just because someone might be quick, strong and athletic, doesn't automatically mean they make a remotely good footballer, let alone one playing the second tier of professional football. If that was even close to the case, then every Olympic sprinter would give up their career for a much more lucrative job in the Championship. As for raw ability? What are you basing this on, a YouTube clip or two? I could look like a prime Gerrard in a 2 minute YouTube reel. I want to and very much hope to be proven wrong, but other than a lovely strike, which could be routine or could be fluke given the data we have, we have seen very little to suggest he has 'raw ability'. The fact that we have seen so little of him since his arrival and he's now being hung out to dry on the bench for the U23s shows where Robins sees his current level. I can't tell you if he will go on and play at a 'higher' level because I have no crystal ball, but other than one lovely strike, which anyone is capable of now and then, noone has seen enough to say he can and basing this off the fact he is strong and quick is absolute nonsense.

Briles

I'd just like to rubbish this sentiment that 'physical stats alone' can make you a Championship player. Just because someone might be quick, strong and athletic, doesn't automatically mean they make a remotely good footballer, let alone one playing the second tier of professional football. If that was even close to the case, then every Olympic sprinter would give up their career for a much more lucrative job in the Championship. As for raw ability? What are you basing this on, a YouTube clip or two? I could look like a prime Gerrard in a 2 minute YouTube reel. I want to and very much hope to be proven wrong, but other than a lovely strike, which could be routine or could be fluke given the data we have, we have seen very little to suggest he has 'raw ability'. The fact that we have seen so little of him since his arrival and he's now being hung out to dry on the bench for the U23s shows where Robins sees his current level. I can't tell you if he will go on and play at a 'higher' level because I have no crystal ball, but other than one lovely strike, which anyone is capable of now and then, noone has seen enough to say he can and basing this off the fact he is strong and quick is absolute nonsense.

If you had to pick a striker, would you rather them be strong, quick with quick feet and a powerful shot, but a poor touch and no football brain, Or someone who is weak, slow, with slow feet and a weak shot but knows where to stand?

Raw attributes are more important.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

If you had to pick a striker, would you rather them be strong, quick with quick feet and a powerful shot, but a poor touch and no football brain, Or someone who is weak, slow, with slow feet and a weak shot but knows where to stand?

So you're asking if I'd rather an Olympic sprinter or Jordan Rhodes. I'd take Jordan Rhodes thanks.

Briles

SkyBlueCRJ

Both would probably be awful so neither. Your comparison doesn't work.

Briles

Messi is strong. He's 5foot7. Looking strong and being 'football strong' isn't the same as being six foot and 'hench'

Nah but from the glimpses he has shown Katsa does have all of the things mentioned. There really is no substitute for pace and power. Look at Traore for Wolves. Take his power and pace off him and he would be average at best.

Briles

Both would probably be awful so neither. Your comparison doesn't work.

Thats why I said if you had to pick and gave two options...not picking either wasn't an option.

shmmeee

So in summary “let me ignore half your answer and focus on the other half to rubbish it”. Except that wasn’t my answer, you’ve gone off on one about being strong and quick and glosses over the fact I said he had raw ability. You may disagree with me on that, but no need for War and Peace making out it’s a ridiculous position.

I think Kastaneers biggest issues are mental and coachable. It seems the mental stuff has come in being a young kid who moved abroad and couldn’t have been spotted by Badlan and the coaching stuff is our MO. We look for players we can improve.

What’s ridiculous is this idea that literally anyone can be coached to be a decent footballer aged 23. Why don’t you go off at that?

SkyBlueCRJ

Thats why I said if you had to pick and gave two options...not picking either wasn't an option.

I don't understand the purpose of the comparison though because if the weaker player had a footballing brain you'd surely pick them every time? Possessing physical attributes doesn't automatically make you a good footballer - they merely improve your game. Plus, you can work on your physicality - but even the most talented managers will find it's extremely difficult to teach a player to have that footballing brain.

Bakayoko is literally the perfect case and point for this. Physically gifted, great height, powerful shot but no footballing brain. And to support my point, Robins has literally been trying to drill one into him for the past 18 months to no avail. IMO you either have it or you don't and 9 times out of 10 it's not something you can necessarily teach. Certainly not at the age of 23 anyway in Kastaneer's case.

Academies are now literally trying to steer away from picking and choosing players solely on their physical abilities for this exact reason.

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

So in summary “let me ignore half your answer and focus on the other half to rubbish it”. Except that wasn’t my answer, you’ve gone off on one about being strong and quick and glosses over the fact I said he had raw ability. You may disagree with me on that, but no need for War and Peace making out it’s a ridiculous position.

I think Kastaneers biggest issues are mental and coachable. It seems the mental stuff has come in being a young kid who moved abroad and couldn’t have been spotted by Badlan and the coaching stuff is our MO. We look for players we can improve.

What’s ridiculous is this idea that literally anyone can be coached to be a decent footballer aged 23. Why don’t you go off at that?
I also think that is ridiculous. But I'm not sure where the whole Kastaneer is the 'mental' side has come from? From his showings at Watford and Rotherham I would say someone would need to coach him to be a footballer at 23 because he looked nothing like a professional footballer in either of those games.

PVA

Kastaneer is the same age as Westbrooke.

This time last year Westbrooke couldn't get in the team and is now a key player.

Yes he needs to show more, but let's not write Kasta off just yet.

better days

This time last year Westbrooke couldn't get in the team and is now a key player.

Trouble is PVA the signs are the manager has done just that

SlowerThanPlatt

The difference being of course was Westbrooke wasn’t considered a first team player at Brentford - Kastaneer has already been at 3 clubs where he’s been considered a first team player and struggled to get meaningful minutes at any of them - it’s now his 4th club and the same has happened here

Users who are viewing this thread