U21's.Cov v Fleetwood. (1 Viewer)

Cobi Jones's Dreads

I don’t watch much academy football but for someone who does, is there a next big thing in either U21 or U18s and make a serious claim in the first team this year or next?

From what I can see we don’t have anything coming through of note apart from possibly Obikwu or Rus?

Would love a shred of positivity from those better informed than me!

Ann Proctor-Brown

I don’t watch much academy football but for someone who does, is there a next big thing in either U21 or U18s and make a serious claim in the first team this year or next?

From what I can see we don’t have anything coming through of note apart from possibly Obikwu or Rus?

No

Cobi Jones's Dreads

4-0

pusbccfc

Im still banging the drum of fucking off the U21s entirely, absolute waste of cash

You have a pretty decent idea at u18 level if a player will make it. Sign them up, loan them out

Depends. If we were ever to drop down the Leagues, we'd rely on it again.

At the current level, we are never going to produce anyone good enough.

Nick

Administrator
That was poor. There's no one in that team anywhere near first team standard.

We seem to have a thing for small or weak players. Fleetwood were better, stronger and wanted it more.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Not even ohare?

Did we keep possession though?

slowpoke

Yes

slowpoke

Not fair to give names, too young but there are one or two well rated, although I doubt there will be a class of ‘92 like Man United had.

slowpoke

Im still banging the drum of fucking off the U21s entirely, absolute waste of cash

You have a pretty decent idea at u18 level if a player will make it. Sign them up, loan them out
WTF are you talking about.
There’s been a number of U/21s on the subs bench this season, so you are saying if a player isn’t in the first team squad at 18 fuck him off. Clown.

Saddlebrains

There’s been a number of U/21s on the subs bench this season, so you are saying if a player isn’t in the first team squad at 18 fuck him off. Clown.

Yea Obikwu, Stretton, Andrews have had tonnes of minutes aint they silly me, i forgot the balon d'ors on their horizon

Saddlebrains

Also Ballbag, i didnt say that

I said talent is obvious by the u18 age group, so you sign them up, loan them out for 2 or 3 seasons and go from there. Clown

slowpoke

Also Ballbag, i didnt say that

I said talent is obvious by the u18 age group, so you sign them up, loan them out for 2 or 3 seasons and go from there. Clown
You don’t know what you are on about, what pro club are going to take on 17/18 year olds. U/18s & U21s are development squads different names nowadays used to be called apprentices, A-team and reserves.

napolimp

I'm pretty sure Villa released O'hare (aged 22) because they didn't think he was good enough to make it.

Julie SBA

They're not pushing to be involved though, there to make up the numbers with the larger bench.
As soon as Palmer and co are fit they wont be there anymore which IMO is a good thing as they tend to not play as much 21's football if they are bench warming for the 1st team.

Reality is, right now there is nobody staking a claim to break through and dislodge a "first team player"

slowpoke

They're not pushing to be involved though, there to make up the numbers with the larger bench.
As soon as Palmer and co are fit they wont be there anymore which IMO is a good thing as they tend to not play as much 21's football if they are bench warming for the 1st team.

Reality is, right now there is nobody staking a claim to break through and dislodge a "first team player"
I looked at that squad that played yesterday and most are 17 or younger

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Kind of agree but would prefer a reserves league instead, rather than loaning them out straight away. We still want some level of control over their development.

NorthernWisdom

We seem to have a thing for small or weak players.
tbf when Ogrizovic was there we went for stronger players, dominated youth football, but then their lack of technical ability got show up when they weren't able to just bully the opposition physically.

I'm guessing the logic is that strength is easier to bulk up as kids grow up, whereas a good technical start is harder to coach into somebody.

stupot07

tbf when Ogrizovic was there we went for stronger players, dominated youth football, but then their lack of technical ability got show up when they weren't able to just bully the opposition physically.

I'm guessing the logic is that strength is easier to bulk up as kids grow up, whereas a good technical start is harder to coach into somebody.

They get them that early now, at 5-6 as part of the the pre academy they have plenty of coaching opportunities to improve technical and tactical ability. Lad who played for my team got picked up by Blues at the end of the U12s, not particularly the best technically, but absolutely rapid and strong, the reason is you can teach kids technical and tactical ability, but you can't teach pace and power.

Coincidentally, JCH never went to an academy, he got picked up at 15/16 at an open trial, also Jodi Jones never went through a formal academy. They are having better careers than 99.9% of players that have been through academies from aged 6 to 18.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread