U18/U21 Development Thread (2 Viewers)

larry_david

Dinangra scored two for Nuneaton today. Seems a fairly productive loan spell

steve101

Cov u21s 2-0 HT v Watford
Two decent goals. Stretton scored first and assisted the second (Batanwi).
Perry looks decent at LCB. Good left foot and very vocal. Bapaga lively.

rexo87

Bapaga not had many starts this season for the U21s. What happened there?
I assumed that it's because he's not going to get a new contract and it's about giving the players that are going to be here going forward more of a chance

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Winny the Bish

I assumed that it's because he's not going to get a new contract and it's about giving the players that are going to be here going forward more of a chance

That’s rough. He’s gone from ‘Best Talent since Maddison’ to released on a free. Ouch.

rexo87

That’s rough. He’s gone from ‘Best Talent since Maddison’ to released on a free. Ouch.
One of them that looked brilliant a few years ago but never kicked on enough. Always very talented but lightweight

steve101

Nee is a great carrier of the ball at pace. Ghosted past players a few times but just often one too many. He played in a midfield 3 with Finnegan and Stretton. Will help his around game as I think he is usually a forward. Not the strongest in the challenge but there is nothing of him.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Good, dominant, performance.

Obikwu and Alabi are brick shit-houses.

Perry looks composed for his age, but could do with growing a few inches. Batanwi also looks good.

Stretton and Nee are good with the ball at their feet and in close situations.

Bapaga made a few bad decisions that meant he ended up losing the ball.

Finnegan looks like a player that can really get under the nose of the opposition with niggly little tackles, but maybe lacking a little in technical ability.

steve101

The Watford no. 4 did a great job on Obikwu. Aidan Coyne is not very tall but won most aerial battles against him. Watford changed shape with Coyne moving to the right of defence. Shortly after Obikwu raced away from his new marker to score.

steve101

Depends which division we are in. It seems Rus is the most likely. Sounds like McGrath has done well on loan in Ireland - left footed centre half. The experience of a men's league will have helped. It would be good to see more long term loans out next year for the likes of the more experienced of that group such as George Burroughs.

Frostie

Depends which division we are in. It seems Rus is the most likely. Sounds like McGrath has done well on loan in Ireland - left footed centre half. The experience of a men's league will have helped. It would be good to see more long term loans out next year for the likes of the more experienced of that group such as George Burroughs.
Big fan of McGrath

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Cian Tyler signs a new deal til 2025.

Talks in the interview about a season long loan next season. Has to happen really and you'd hope it's at least league 2 level

Yeah he's been at the club since he was 7. Hope he makes it at club.

rexo87

Obikwu seems an interesting one. Really tall and looks quite powerful. Currently scoring for fun in U23s

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not sure I'd say he's scoring for fun. His record is very similar to Costello. Cashman and Bapaga score with more regularity. But he is tall and strong and worth persevering with for a bit longer. I think he'd need to improve quite a bit to get near our first team though.

rexo87

Not sure I'd say he's scoring for fun. His record is very similar to Costello. Cashman and Bapaga score with more regularity. But he is tall and strong and worth persevering with for a bit longer. I think he'd need to improve quite a bit to get near our first team though.
Seems he's scoring in pretty much every game this second half of the season. Most of Costellos goals were penalties I believe. Bit more exciting than the others given its his first year at the level and has more developing to go. Also a lot of players who score goals at that level don't seem to have the physical attributes to match whereas he does

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Seems he's scoring in pretty much every game this second half of the season. Most of Costellos goals were penalties I believe. Bit more exciting than the others given its his first year at the level and has more developing to go. Also a lot of players who score goals at that level don't seem to have the physical attributes to match whereas he does

Maybe. He's definitely featured more in the last few months. Although he is technically a 3rd year scholar as he joined late, so would effectively be the equivalent of a first year pro in terms of age and build.

I'm always a bit wary of players that have those physical attributes as it can be misleading. I remember playing when I was younger and the big, strong lads always stood out purely because of it (same with those with bags of pace). When they started playing against people with similar attributes, or their peers started to fill out they became much less effective. They'd relied so heavily on their physique that they hadn't developed as much technically.

It's why I don't like U21 and would prefer reserve football. You'd and they learn a lot more about their development if up against experienced men. Otherwise it's just an extension of the academy with them playing the same people they did in the younger age groups.

Time will tell, but it's always nice to get someone come through the ranks.

larry_david

Wtf has happened here? This surely isn't an operation from when he got stretchered off after the Nuneaton friendly is it?

How unlucky are we btw, Isaac Moore and now batanwi ACL injuries from the u21s. Batanwi if you remember was being talked about very highly at the end of last season

Users who are viewing this thread