U18/U21 Development Thread (9 Viewers)

slowpoke

Reid and Tavares stepping up now according to Tisdale. Says Reid was shocked at the intensity of Championship training (sums up how shite the SPL actually is if he had 20 apps for his team).

Tavares sounds erratic but a runner, non stop and keeps plugging away, plus saw a few highlights end of last season, his pace and trickery is something we don't have. Could be a diamond in the rough.

The question is do we loan either of these two out? Tavares won't get near our first team this season, bit like Bapaga but will they learn more in 23s or playing L1/2?
That’s okay if they play regularly if not they are better off staying here.

Frostie

Tavares is 5th in line for a striker berth or effectively 4th in line whilst Godden remains unavailable.
I think we'll keep him around, especially as he offers something completely different with electric pace & exceptional work-rate. Yes his positioning & finishing particularly still need work, along with some of his link up play but there's plenty of potential there.

TomRad85

Tavares is 5th in line for a striker berth or effectively 4th in line whilst Godden remains unavailable.
I think we'll keep him around, especially as he offers something completely different with electric pace & exceptional work-rate. Yes his positioning & finishing particularly still need work, along with some of his link up play but there's plenty of potential there.
Won't pretend i watch the u23s regularly but on the couple of games I streamed last season he was the stand out performer. Definitely something there. I feel we're overly harsh on 20 year old footballers these days, I swear we used to give players til they were 22/23 to decide if they were going to break through.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Won't pretend i watch the u23s regularly but on the couple of games I streamed last season he was the stand out performer. Definitely something there. I feel we're overly harsh on 20 year old footballers these days, I swear we used to give players til they were 22/23 to decide if they were going to break through.

I disagree there, by 20 or 21 clubs will have a good idea whether a player is going to be able to progress with them or not. Trying to think of players we’ve let go at that age who have proved us wrong, maybe Josh Ruffels at a push but even he took the long route.

larry_david

HIs first goal the other day she showed a bit of everything. Stood them up, skipped through two of them, perfect pull back and then finished off the rebound. I saw a bit of skill last year on twitter where he took it on the half way line, sent two the wrong way then played a one two and set it up for Bremang on a plate. it looked like something Messi would do. I think the issue is for every time he does that, he does 7 times where it goes wrong. and it's getting that consistency.

shmmeee

I disagree there, by 20 or 21 clubs will have a good idea whether a player is going to be able to progress with them or not. Trying to think of players we’ve let go at that age who have proved us wrong, maybe Josh Ruffels at a push but even he took the long route.

Clarke-Harris?

TomRad85

I'm not on about the clubs as such, well I am a bit but yes the clubs will have a more than good idea at 21 whether at 22/23 they could have something. I'm more talking about fans who if a player isn't ready for the first team at 19/20 are saying obvs not good enough get rid.

Frostie

I'm not on about the clubs as such, well I am a bit but yes the clubs will have a more than good idea at 21 whether at 22/23 they could have something. I'm more talking about fans who if a player isn't ready for the first team at 19/20 are saying obvs not good enough get rid.

Yeah, absolutely. Young players all develop at different rates. Just because Maatsen, McCallum & others might be in our first team at 18, that doesn't mean that a 20 year old will never make it.

larry_david

Did they ever actually alert us who got released from under 18s? I see the GK Fallowes has signed for...Tamworth? I think

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Did they ever actually alert us who got released from under 18s? I see the GK Fallowes has signed for...Tamworth? I think

Yeah

Basically every second year other than George Burroughs and Harrison Nee got released

Not seen the new intake names yet though.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah

Basically every second year other than George Burroughs and Harrison Nee got released

Not seen the new intake names yet though.

That’s those who got offered a pro at the end of the year, 4 others were already on pros.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That’s those who got offered a pro at the end of the year, 4 others were already on pros.

Well, yeah.

Bapaga already had one and McGrath, Finnegan and Evans-Harriott were signed on contracts from other clubs so I don't really think of them as 'our' academy lads, more U23 signings who just happened to be U18.

Philosorapter

I take it this is the same format as last year, with one less team?

Philosorapter

I would like to give this a roll and see where it goes.

Last edited:

slowpoke

The 18s game was 3-2. Bradley Stretton scored 1 and an U16 player got the other 2
That U/16 player is superb had a great game, his second goal spotting their goalie off his line from distance and chipped him technically an og as it came off the bar hitting the stretched keeper and in, he made Stretton’s goal too.

SlowerThanPlatt

U15/16s mix mainly U/15s second half won 6-1 at Manchester City yesterday.

Yes that’s a good result on the face of it but difficult to know what strength of side these big clubs put out.

In other news, Ryan Howley has been called up to Wales U19s after a great start to the season, a year above his age group. Games at the end of the month I think

slowpoke

They played them a month or so ago and lost 7-2 not sure how the team was set up it seems to be a bit different this year with the age groups mixed a bit compared to before

SBchimp

The bigger clubs often play us a year down or sometimes even their development centres.
Taking nothing away from the result though, whatever the makeup I'm sure they would have been well represented..

larry_david

Coventry City defender Thierry Katsukunya had a chance to take the lead for the visitors 10 minutes after the restart, but dragged his effort from distance just wide of the post.

What a name!

Users who are viewing this thread