U18/U21 Development Thread (6 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

£2.5m budget a year and a lot extra staff I believe.
Yeah, I’m not sure how worthwhile it is anyway especially as a smaller club. WBA have been Cat 1 for ages and in the end had to take our academy manager. We’ve only lost Sambou and Charlie McCann, the latter we would have lost regardless as it was his dream move.

Also smaller amount of scholars, some Cat 1 clubs will have 3 times as many as we have, the best 16s go into the 18s and the best 18s go into the 23s quicker. Bapaga played a whole season of U18 football as an U16

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah, I’m not sure how worthwhile it is anyway especially as a smaller club. WBA have been Cat 1 for ages and in the end had to take our academy manager. We’ve only lost Sambou and Charlie McCann, the latter we would have lost regardless as it was his dream move.

Also smaller amount of scholars, some Cat 1 clubs will have 3 times as many as we have, the best 16s go into the 18s and the best 18s go into the 23s quicker. Bapaga played a whole season of U18 football as an U16

Wasn't N'Gandu playing U18's when he was 14 or something?

Winny the Bish

STP, who was the young striker I remember us discussing that signed with New Era when he was like 14? Was it Bapaga or someone else?

SlowerThanPlatt

STP, who was the young striker I remember us discussing that signed with New Era when he was like 14? Was it Bapaga or someone else?

Yes that was Bapaga. Don’t know if the rules have been altered but it used to be an agent can’t sign a player until they’re 16, of course there will be agreements and sounding out the player and his family before then but it’s another thing to post it...

Winny the Bish

Yes that was Bapaga. Don’t know if the rules have been altered but it used to be an agent can’t sign a player until they’re 16, of course there will be agreements and sounding out the player and his family before then but it’s another thing to post it...
Ah okay, I couldn't remember the name and thought he might've been pinched.

Also...can't say that I'm a fan of Jack Burroughs being shoved in at RWB. Maybe it's his choice to try and get some first-team football...but it could stunt him in the long run.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ah okay, I couldn't remember the name and thought he might've been pinched.

Also...can't say that I'm a fan of Jack Burroughs being shoved in at RWB. Maybe it's his choice to try and get some first-team football...but it could stunt him in the long run.

I agree. His versatility could be his undoing as it might get him in the team but not showcasing his real abilities. Like Osbourne. Played quite a lot of games for us but almost all of them out of position at RB which didn't suit him very well. I always felt he deserved the chance to be the ball winner in front of the defence but apart from one or two games he never got the opportunity.

Joy Division

Burroughs has looked capable enough when I've seen him at RWB, might be to our benefit that he develops into that position.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Burroughs has looked capable enough when I've seen him at RWB, might be to our benefit that he develops into that position.

He may be capable enough there, but he may well excel somewhere else. But we never find out because he's competent somewhere else so we keep him there.

Dion was a good centre back when he played there. Would've been a travesty had he played his entire career there though and the waste of a very good centre forward.

SBchimp

We are miles away, apart from the funding and extra staff etc.
The Academy needs dedicated facilities. Unless we build or buy a new training facility it’s not happening any time soon.

Palace and Leeds are now cat1, Blues are still Cat2. Birmingham is actually our 18s first league game of the season. Going the other way Swansea have dropped from Cat 1 to a 2 whilst Bournemouth have gone from Cat 3 up to 2 and so play us this season.

Joy Division

He may be capable enough there, but he may well excel somewhere else. But we never find out because he's competent somewhere else so we keep him there.

Dion was a good centre back when he played there. Would've been a travesty had he played his entire career there though and the waste of a very good centre forward.

All fair points, could work either way though. May turn out to be a more successful at RWB than if he were to pursue his more forward role, I'm sure his coaches and the management team will know enough about him to make that decision in the end. There does seem like there is a decent player in him from what I've seen so far.

shmmeee

So what are the benefits to the club of Cat 1? Do young players tend to care? Do we get better opposition?

wingy

So what are the benefits to the club of Cat 1? Do young players tend to care? Do we get better opposition?
Only a guess but I doubt we'd see the benefit due to status regardless of league,to attract from the same pool as elite clubs .

Seems counter intuitive to say that I guess, because apart from salary they're most likely to be part of a huge pool who rarely get to progress up the chain.

Winny the Bish

Burroughs became a Scotland Youth international because of how he plays as an attacking midfielder/winger. He deserves the chance to become that for us, not just an emergency option all over the pitch because he's two-footed and a good athlete.

shmmeee

Burroughs became a Scotland Youth international because of how he plays as an attacking midfielder/winger. He deserves the chance to become that for us, not just an emergency option all over the pitch because he's two-footed and a good athlete.

On the other hand, he’s probably 8th or 9th in line for an AM slot and currently first in line at RWB.

SlowerThanPlatt

There’s 5 midfielders around the same age who you would put their best position as an #8...Ngandu (18) Burroughs (19), Bartlett (19), Young (21), Lafferty (18). I was surprised they kept Jordan Young on as he’s the oldest of the bunch and played the least minutes in pre season Bartlett aside who is injured

Winny the Bish

On the other hand, he’s probably 8th or 9th in line for an AM slot and currently first in line at RWB.
Aye, I know he shouldn't get a run in the 1st team at AM now, I'm just hoping he doesn't move to RWB for the U23s as well in some bid to familiarise.

Like when Ivor Lawton was a promising CDM and got moved to CB and RB to make up numbers. (Yes I know injuries did Ivor in - just an example)

larry_david

Young has league 1 experience so I wonder if that's playing a part. Pretty sure he was loaned out about 3 days before lockdown started so I'd imagine that's the plan again.

SlowerThanPlatt

The new scholars are on the club website. One has been signed from Wolves and the other 6 are from last years 16s.

GK Luke Bell (Wolves)
DEF Malakai Reeve
DEF Fionn O’Brien
MID Ryan Howley
MID Reece Massey
MID Craig Hewitt
ATT Sam Rodber

SBchimp

3-3 draw yesterday for our under 18s against Burton.

A very competitive and enjoyable preseason friendly with Cov twice coming from behind to then take the lead in the 87th only concede an equaliser in the 92nd.

We should be a lot more competitive this season, but as always that is depending on how many get pushed up with the 23s

fernandopartridge

Funny thing is that most of these cat 1 clubs have a very limited pathway to the first team. Spend an awful lot of money for no great purpose.

Hobo

We would be lost as a Cat 1 club and the outlay isn't worth it.

We have a good reputation rightly for developing players. They know Coventry will give them a shot at first team minutes if they are good enough; or at least loan them out for first team minutes.

SlowerThanPlatt

The team was: Tyler, McGrath, Williams, Rowe, Burroughs, Newton, Lafferty, Young, Finnegan, Nightingale, Bremang.

Subs used: Bartlett, G.Burroughs

It doesn’t look promising if you’re an older player in this line up as it’s mostly an U23s second 11.

Nightingale and G.Burroughs are 18s. Finnegan is a youngster from Birmingham who didn’t play much last season for them.

With first team presumably Bilson, Thompson, Drysdale (can he play?),Eccles, Bapaga.

larry_david

The team was: Tyler, McGrath, Williams, Rowe, Burroughs, Newton, Lafferty, Young, Finnegan, Nightingale, Bremang.

It doesn’t look promising if you’re an older player in this line up as it’s mostly an U23s second 11.

Nightingale and G.Burroughs are 18s. Finnegan is a youngster from Birmingham who didn’t play much last season for them.

With first team presumably Bilson, Thompson, Drysdale (can he play?),Eccles, Bapaga.
First time I've seen Newtons name in a squad this season

junglej13

Could Evans Harriott be involved on Tuesday?

SlowerThanPlatt

Edit to this - Ryan Howley who I think is only 16 came on as a sub for the last 17 minutes

Sky Blues Xl: Cian Tyler (GK), Jack Burroughs (46’ Bartlett), Blaine Rowe, Morgan Williams (C) (46’ G.Burroughs), Jay McGrath, Joe Newton, Dan Lafferty (73’ Howley), Jordan Young, Joe Nightingale, Trialist, David Bremang.

Unused Subs: Keelan Fallows (GK), Sam Rodber.

Users who are viewing this thread