U18/U21 Development Thread (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Match report:

The Sky Blues’ Under-23 side continued their recent run of form with a comeback victory in a seven-goal thriller at the Ricoh.

Jack McBean scored two on his return to the starting XI and Kyle Spence scored a brace himself to give City a 4-3 win against Crewe Alexandra.

The first chance of the game fell to the Sky Blues and winger Bilal Siyoud. Following a high City press, a loose ball fell to the feet of Siyoud, he took one touch onto his left foot before firing straight at ‘keeper David Richards in the Crewe goal.

Crewe looked to respond, with their slick passing play a particular highlight in the opening 20 minutes. Callum Ainley danced through the City defence and set up highly rated Tom Lowery, but his effort was deflected over the bar.

The opening goal came through the returning Jack McBean, who had the easiest of finishes after Sayoud’s cross was too hot to handle for Richards. The ball dropped a yard out and the striker was on hand to put the Sky blues ahead.

However, the lead would last a matter of minutes as Daniel Udoh levelled the scores for the visitors. A free kick in a dangerous position squirmed under the body of City ‘keeper Corey Addai and Udoh rivalled McBean for the ‘easiest finish of the day’ award.

Siyoud and McBean again combined to give the home side their best chance since conceding the equaliser. Siyoud was released down the left and his wicked low cross found McBean around 12 yards out, but his first time effort was saved well down to the ‘keepers right.

Crewe completed the first half turnaround on the stroke of half time. Alex Kiwomya won a free kick in a dangerous position and Oliver Finney’s curling cross went through a host of bodies and found the bottom corner to give them the lead.

City was out early for the second-half and the words of Nicky Eaden at the break seemingly did the trick. McBean picked up the ball on the edge of the box before cutting inside and curling a lovely effort into the bottom corner and level the scores.

The Sky Blues’ joy was short lived as Crewe retook the lead just minutes later. A ball cut through the City defence to allow Udoh a clear run at goal, he took one touch before firing the ball into the bottom corner across Addai to restore the visitor’s advantage.

It was turning into a goal fest at the Ricoh as City was back on level terms immediately. Callum Maycock fed the ball into McBean, who backed into his defender before laying it Kyle Spence, who smashed the ball into the corner.

The visitor’s came forward looking to regain the lead for a second time in the game and went close again through Udoh. The striker beat his defender and fired the ball across the six-yard box. The rebound fell to oncoming Ainley but Addai tipped his effort round the post.

The game had a real end-to-end feel about it, but it was the Sky Blues who took advantage. A ball was fed into the path of Spence and his shot across the ‘keeper squirmed under Richards and just crossed the line before Devon Kelly-Evans made sure.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/report-coventry-city-crewe-alexandra-ricoh-3356379.aspx

chiefdave

It's a shame they can't put these on in the evening to get a few more people down. Even if they charged a couple of quid to get in.
I would guess that in the afternoon when virtually no one shows up is cheaper to put on. Even if only a couple of hundred turned up you start getting into needing stewards, f&b open etc.

Would be worth trialling a couple of evening games at somewhere like the Butts. I'd happily pay a few quid.

SlowerThanPlatt

Nicky Eaden:

Nicky Eaden believes it is important his players get into the habit of winning after today’s victory against Crewe Alexandra at the Ricoh.
A brace apiece from Kyle Spence and Jack McBean made it five wins on the bounce for Eaden’s side as the Under-23s continue to impress.

Eaden was happy to get the win in a far from perfect display. He said: “I want them to get into the habit of not only winning games, but winning games playing well.

“I don’t want them to simply be a well organised defensive unit who scrapes victories – that’s what you tend to do at first-team level when you’re struggling for points.

“I want them to get the results by playing good football and testing teams. We may leave ourselves open at times, but its attractive football and that means we’ve got more men in attacking positions.

Despite victory, a seven goal thriller is not always a great sight for coaches and Eaden knows there are areas to work on going forward despite the good form his side are currently in.

“It’s always good to get the victory, but there was an element of sloppiness in some of our play today that contributed to it being such a high scoring affair.

“We could have scored even more because the final pass of quite a few occasions was disappointing. I think on the whole the decision making from both side’s could have been better,”

He added: “We had Sam Ricketts on the bench today and if it would have been a first-team game perhaps it wouldn’t have been so open, but we both agreed we wanted the attackers to have chances and the defenders to be challenged and they were today.”

SlowerThanPlatt

Jordan Shipley:

Jordan Shipley believes the Under-23s recent winning run of form shows their strength in depth and bodes well for the future.

Nicky Eaden’s side made it five wins on the bounce with a thrilling 4-3 victory against Crewe Alexandra in the Development League South to top the table after eight games.

With injuries, international call-ups and first-team duties impacting selections with the U23s set-up, Shipley admits it’s very positive the results continue to come. He said: “We’ve had to change quite a lot over the past month or so for various different reasons.

“We’ve had the likes of Jordon Thompson, Jordan Ponticelli and others from the Under-18’s join us, and the likes of Cian Harries and Ben Stevenson switching between us and the first-team.

“It does show the quality we have through the age groups as these players are coming in and doing very well. We have a strong team ethic here and I think that show on the pitch.”

The midfielder scored twice in their recent win over Alvechurch in the Birmingham Senior Cup, and the 19-year-old knows it’s an area he could improve on moving forward.

“It’s always a good feeling to score goals and contribute towards the result, but it doesn’t happen often enough.

“I am trying to work on that side of the game and get into better attacking positions. Sometimes it is easy to hit a pass and stand and admire it, but you need to follow your pass and look to receive it back,”

He added: “I am working on improving my fitness as it has always been a slight problem for me, and once that clicks into place, I am hoping it will contribute to better performances from myself.”

Leeds at home on Saturday for the U18s (11:30am) whilst the U23s play Watford at the Alan Higgs Centre on Monday (1pm) looking to make it 6 wins in a row

SlowerThanPlatt

Some information on a few more of this years first year scholars:

Coventry City’s new intake of first year scholars have joined the club full-time.

Here Academy boss Rich Stevens gives the lowdown on the Sky Blues boys who will be making up the club’s Under-18s squad this season.

Sam Naylor
Position: Goalkeeper

Strengths: He’s a boy from the North East, came towards the end of last season in a trial game and we’re looking forward to working with Sam.

We have worked hard all season to try to get a goalkeeper and Sam is a really good shot stopper and looks like a boy who will develop.

He’s been in and out of clubs, been at Leeds but no-one would take a chance on him.

We just believe he has got great football stature and great attitude and think we can help him get to the next level.

Character: He’s a great lad, well liked by the boys and settled in really well.

He didn’t know anyone when he came down but he’s really bright boy who is going to fit in well.

Things to work on: As with all young keepers, he just needs to work on tidying up his all-round role.

Ross McMahon:

Position:
Central defender

Strengths:
Ross was at Reading and then went to Brentford as an Under-14 when he had a trial with us but opted to sign for them. He's a left footed centre-half, a good shape and has terrific leadership qualities and will be really good for the group with his personality. He's a really good defender, good on the ball and comfortable in out and out of possession.

Character: He's absolutely driven and self motivated. He works really hard at his game, does everything 100 per cent whatever the boys are being asked to do. He just gets his dead down and gets it done and I think those will be traits that will get recognised through the age groups. He's a good solid team member with good individual qualities as well.

Things to work on: He's a big tall boy who just needs to work on agility and strength to become a modern day centre-back

Academy scholars 2016/17

GK:

Konrad Skuza
Sam Naylor

DEF:
Jordan Thompson
Ross McMahon
Reece Ford
Chris Camwell
Josh Eccles
Jak Hickman

MID:
Liam Doyle
Tom Bayliss
Tyler Johnson
Sion Green
Kyle Finn
Lewis Green
Billy Stedman
Dagry Mantsounga
Ronee Hendricks

ATT:
Jordan Ponticelli
Dan Smith

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City midfielder Ben Stevenson faces his toughest test says the talent spotter who brought him to the club:

The man responsible for signing Ben Stevenson for Coventry City says the teenager faces his biggest test to kick on and establish himself in the next couple of years.

Former Sky Blues scout and coach Chris Brown is delighted to see the 19-year-old midfielder sign a new four year deal at the Ricoh Arena but knows he has a tough task ahead of him.

“It’s a massive step now,” said Brown, who has helped recruit hundreds of talented kids to the club’s youth system for over 20 years, including James Maddison, Cyrus Christie, Jordan Clarke, Michael Quirke and, more recently, Devon and Dion Kelly-Evans.

He also brought in Che Adam who was eventually released and re-emerged at Sheffield United before this summer being sold to Birmingham City for around £2million.

“Ben’s doing well and the next couple of years are key for him. We have seen it before where lads come in to the first team and some struggle to push on.

“Conor Thomas is a prime example of what can happen because he couldn’t handle it to push on.

“Ben is not the same type of player as Conor because he can see a pass forward – Conor could only see one backwards and sideways. That was a coaching issue and whoever was coaching him couldn’t coach it out of him because he wanted to play crab football all the time. You need another string to your bow.

“But Ben looks forward and I think George Thomas has helped him with that. They are big mates who have stayed in digs together and been together since under-eights. George would always have a go at him if he didn’t give him the ball so that made Ben look forward a lot of the time.”

Brown spotted Stevenson and striker Thomas at the tender age of eight.

“My remit was putting together a side for the under-nines to take into the Academy,” he said.

“I had to go round looking at all the young kids in local junior football and we were at Nuneaton at a junior tournament, St Nicolas I think, at the rugby club when Ben and George were playing together for a Leicester team.

“One of the lads who worked for me suggested I come and have a look at George, which I did but I also had a look at Ben and another lad who signed for Derby.

“Ben and George were in what they call a pyramid system at Leicester so it took a while for me to persuade them to come to Coventry because they thought they were going to sign for Leicester.

“So they came in and played for me in the under-eights.”

Asked what he saw in the fresh-faced Stevenson, he said: “He’s got a football brain and he’s comfortable with the ball, which is a massive ability.

“The thing he never had was pace but you don’t actually need a lot if you’re playing in midfield, and he was always going to be a midfield player. But he had a good footballing brain.

“He was never one of those that stood out and you thought ‘wow, you’d throw your hat at him’ but he’s always been capable and never let anyone down when he’s played.

“He had a growth spurt at about 14, as kids do, and that’s when the club had to be patient with him but he is a decent lad and it’s great to see him doing well and get a four year deal.

“Hopefully he’ll be another who the club can eventually sell on and earn some money from.”

Brown admits the reality of the club’s current status means the sale of talented young players is inevitable.

“It’s always a gamble,” he said.

“I’d have liked to keep them all and if the club was financially stable it could because they could say to the kids that they’ll match the wages and away you go, we’d keep them. But life’s not like that at the moment.

“It’s like with James Maddison, he’s now set up for life. He’s earning enough that if he invests his money he’ll probably never have to work again.

“It’s a gamble for the player to give that up when a big club comes in for them. The family want to see their son secure in the world.

“Callum Wilson was the same. The club couldn't turn down the money for him because of his injury record. He could have played the next game, got injured and that could have been the end of his career.

“He’s had lots of injuries and they’ve all been serious ones so it’s a hell of a gamble for a small club to turn down that sort of money. So I don’t blame the club at all.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/coventry-city-midfielder-ben-stevenson-12013993

Last edited:

shmmeee

"“Conor Thomas is a prime example of what can happen because he couldn’t handle it to push on.

“Ben is not the same type of player as Conor because he can see a pass forward – Conor could only see one backwards and sideways. That was a coaching issue and whoever was coaching him couldn’t coach it out of him because he wanted to play crab football all the time. You need another string to your bow.

“But Ben looks forward and I think George Thomas has helped him with that. They are big mates who have stayed in digs together and been together since under-eights. George would always have a go at him if he didn’t give him the ball so that made Ben look forward a lot of the time.”

That bit is really interesting, it's a good point about Conor and interesting how something as simple as being mates with a forward can change a players style of play.

Wiseoldfool

Some information on a few more of this years first year scholars:

Academy scholars 2016/17

GK:

Konrad Skuza
Sam Naylor

DEF:
Jordan Thompson
Ross McMahon
Reece Ford
Chris Camwell
Josh Eccles
Jak Hickman

MID:
Liam Doyle
Tom Bayliss
Tyler Johnson
Sion Green
Kyle Finn
Lewis Green
Billy Stedman
Dagry Mantsounga
Ronee Hendricks

ATT:
Jordan Ponticelli
Dan Smith
Keep up with your fantastic information on the academy and u23.Can't go to Charlton tomorrow so will take in the u18s instead.

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s were deservedly beaten 2-1 by Leeds this afternoon. Ponticelli scored his 8th goal of the season after just 7 games

Team was: Skuza, Hickman, Thompson, Ford, Camwell, Eccles, Bayliss, Finn, Smith, Stedman, Ponticelli

Results so far:
Sheffield United (H) L 2-1
Hull City (A) W 0-1
Bristol City (H) W 4-2
Colchester United (A) W 5-2
Bolton Wanderers (H) D 1-1
Sheffield Wednesday (A) L 3-0
Queens Park Rangers (H) W 2-1
Ipswich Town (A) W 4-2
Leeds United (H) L 2-1

Goalscorers:
8 - Jordan Ponticelli
3 - Chris Camwell
2 - Ronee Hendricks, Kyle Finn
1 - Billy Stedman, Tom Bayliss, Jak Hickman, own goal

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

The U23s will be looking to make it 6 wins in a row when they take on Watford tomorrow at the Alan Higgs Centre (1pm)

U23s results so far:
Leeds United (A) L 5-2
Sheffield Wednesday (H) W 2-1
Cardiff City (H) L 1-0
Charlton Athletic (A) L 7-2
Sheffield United (A) W 5-1
Huddersfield Town (H) W 2-0
Barnsley (A) W 4-1
Alvechurch (A) W 3-1
Crewe Alexandra (H) W 4-3

Goalscorers:
5 - Devon Kelly-Evans, Jack McBean
4 - George Thomas
3 - Jordan Shipley
2 - Kyle Spence
1 - Jordan Ponticelli, Bilal Sayoud, Jak Hickman, Ben Stevenson, Dion Kelly-Evans

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

U23s against Watford:

Addai, Whitmore, Di. Kelly-Evans, Finch, Leahy, Rose, Maycock, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Thomas, Spence, McBean

Subs: Skuza (GK), Shipley, Sayoud, Ponticelli, Finn

SlowerThanPlatt

Sixth consecutive victory for the U23s with a 5-3 win over Watford. Jack Finch, Callum Maycock, Kyle Spence, Devon Kelly-Evans and Jack McBean all on the scoresheet

SlowerThanPlatt

Match report:

Nicky Eaden’s Under-23 side consolidated their position at the top of the Development League South with an impressive victory against Watford at the Alan Higgs Centre.

Devon Kelly-Evans scored his sixth of the season to put the Sky Blues ahead, while Jack Finch, Callum Maycock, Kyle Spence and Jack McBean added goals to give the U23s their sixth consecutive win.

In blustery conditions, both sides struggled to create anything of note early on. The first half-chance of the game fell to the Sky Blues and American striker McBean. Maycock picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and lofted a pass into the back post, but McBean couldn’t direct his header from a tight angle goalwards.

The home side took the lead shortly after through a fantastic finish from captain Dev. Kelly-Evans. Spence whipped a ball low into the box for McBean, but when his shot was blocked the rebound fell to Kelly-Evans and the midfielder made no mistake, smashing it home from 18-yards.

Firmly on top, City looked to extend their advantage with the very next attack. Spence drove at the Watford backline, firing a shot from all of 25 yards, only to see the Watford ‘keeper divert it over the crossbar.

The Sky Blues continued to create chances as George Thomas, returning from international duty with the Welsh Under-21 side, got on the end of a Dev. Kelly-Evans cross but failed to make enough contact to trouble the Watford ‘keeper.

The City dominance soon told as they doubled their advantage. Spence’s out-swinging corner was met by the head of centre-half Finch, who cleverly steered his effort in to the far corner to claim his first goal of the season.

Two goals soon became three as Maycock added to the scoreline just after the half hour mark. The midfielder attempted to pick out a clever last man run from Thomas’, but with no touch from the forward, the ball went through a number of bodies and into the far corner.

Firmly against the run of play, Watford had a route back into the game. A mix-up in the City defence allowed the visitors’ number nine the easiest of finishes from all of a yard to reduce the deficit before the break.

City started the brighter after the restart as the returning Andy Rose went close. In his first game since an injury suffered against Bury, Rose played a nice one-two with Spence before curling just wide of the far post.

As the game was becoming more open, it was Watford who carved an opening. The Hornet’s number nine demonstrated some fantastic pace and power to run around the outside of the City defence, and when his low cross was diverted goalwards, Darragh Leahy was on hand to superbly block the effort on the line.

On the hour mark, City restored their three-goal advantage as McBean scored his sixth of the season. A poor clearance fell to the striker, and when he was brought down cynically outside the area, the striker punished the foul with a wonderfully hit free-kick that nestled in the top corner.

McBean nearly helped himself to another stunner just moments later, as from 35-yards he hit an audacious dipping volley that beat the Watford ‘keeper but came thundering back off the crossbar.

The Sky Blues made sure of the victory as Spence made it five different goal scorers on the day for the home side. Dev. Kelly-Evans released Thomas, and the forward drove at the defence before whipping a low ball across the box for Spence to tap in.

Just as it looked to be a routine victory for City, Watford scored two quick-fire goals to make it tense finish. An inswinging free kick, aided by the wind, went over ‘keeper Addai and into the net before an overload on the right handed the away side their third goal of the afternoon.

Darragh Leahy has been playing in his natural position (left-back) recently with Dion Kelly-Evans playing at centre back, could be a route to the first team for him there

SlowerThanPlatt

Any idea when Ivor Lawton will be back? I'm sure he should've returned by now...

I don't even think he's signed a new contract yet so currently he isn't even contracted to the club as far I know. It might be the best option for him to move on in January with the emergence of Stevenson who's 2 years younger. It's a shame but unfortunately injuries have set him back

Winny the Bish

I don't even think he's signed a new contract yet so currently he isn't even contracted to the club as far I know. It might be the best option for him to move on in January with the emergence of Stevenson who's 2 years younger. It's a shame but unfortunately injuries have set him back

He must've turned down that 6-month deal Mowbray offered then. I still think Lawton has a certain steel that the side will be lacking when McCann leaves in January but i think i'm basing this on hope - we went to the same school and spoke a few times - rather than anything else. Fingers crossed he stays on till the end of the season and gets a real chance to show what he can do.

SlowerThanPlatt

U16s trials:

Coventry City are on the search for promising young footballers within the Under 16 age group (current School year 11).
The Academy, which has seen huge success in recent seasons with the likes of Ben Stevenson, Cian Harries, Dion Kelly-Evans, James Maddison, Conor Thomas, Cyrus Christie and Callum Wilson all progressing into full-time professional football from local football.

The club are holding open trials on Thursday 27th October 2016, in the effort to unearth talented footballers who up until now may have been overlooked.

So…….

Are you currently in the Under 16 age group (current School year 11)?

Do you have previous academy experience, play representative team football, district football, or play with a competitive team within a local league?

Do you believe you have what it takes to play for Coventry City Football Club?

If you have answered yes to all of the above then complete the application form below and send to the club’s Head of Academy Recruitment Scott Curry.

PLEASE RETURN TO:[email protected] by 12pm on SATURDAY 22ND OCTOBER 2016

Should your application be successful an official invite will be sent out on SUNDAY 23RD OCTOBER 2016.

Unsuccessful candidates will also be notified.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/u16-trials-coventry-city-academy-3361216.aspx

vow

Why was my post removed, Nick?

It simply said "Hi Bilal" replying to Michael Cornwall.

SlowerThanPlatt

Nicky Eaden:

Nicky Eaden was delighted with a dominant first-half performance during the Under-23s 5-3 victory against Watford yesterday.

It’s the U23s sixth win on the bounce and takes them two points clear at the top of the Development League South after five different players scored in the win.

Despite not winning by the margin he felt was deserved, Eaden was happy with the overall performance. He said: “I thought we played very well today, particularly in the first half.

“We dominated large periods in the game and in that first 45 there seemed to be only one team in it. I’m not sure they deserved to score three goals, but that’s down to individual errors and that can happen in football.

“I asked them at half-time, could they really apply the pressure because I felt Watford for there for the taking. They had their spells but we controlled the game quite well for the majority of it.”

Andy Rose made his first appearance in a Sky Blues shirt since the knee injury he suffered against Bury back in August, and Eaden believes both he and Callum Maycock controlled the midfield well.

“It was important for Rose to get ninety minutes under his belt and that will only help put him back into contention for first-team selection.

“I thought Maycock did really well in there. He is a ball winning midfielder and one you really miss when he is not available,”

He added: “It is what you do with the ball, we are not the most physical of teams so you have to dominate the ball and create chances. The lads in the midfield do very well to control that aspect.”

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...h-coventry-city-watford-under-23-3369246.aspx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread