U18/U21 Development Thread (7 Viewers)

lifeskyblue

Our mini revival might have scuppered their chances for first team this season. Perhaps if we don't win at Doncaster TM will give them a run out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Ended 3-0. Goals from Maycock, Thomas and Spence. 4 wins in a row now.

Last game of the season against Huddersfield on Monday at the Ricoh (1pm, free entry)

Terry Gibson's perm

Last game of the season against Huddersfield on Monday at the Ricoh (1pm, free entry)

Shame they don't do a 4pm or even 5pm kick off so the youngsters could pop along after school.

Otis

Might just go to that, as long as I can get my missus to pick our daughter up from school.

AGSB15

I overheard staff at today's game saying that it's a 2pm kick off on Monday against Huddersfield. Just thought I'd share to see if that makes any difference to potential viewers

SlowerThanPlatt

Match report:

Coventry City Under-21s continued their fantastic form in the league with a convincing 3-0 win over Hull City.

The Sky Blues are now unbeaten in five games and won the last four fixtures as goals from Callum Maycock, George Thomas and Kyle Spence sealed the win in the second-half.

The Tigers recorded a 5-0 win over the Sky Blues in December but City were dominant from the first whistle. Thomas should have put City ahead in the 6th minute when Kyle Spence threaded the ball through but after checking back, Thomas' shot was well saved.

Jordan Willis was making his injury return and displayed his quality in the air at either end. In the 11th minute, Jordan Shipley's left-sided free-kick found Willis at the back post but he directed his header over.

The visitors were lucky to keep all 11 men on the pitch during the first-half as Brad Maslen-Jones and Josh Baker were booked, the latter for a terrible lunging tackle on the impressive Bilal Sayoud.

Ten minutes into the second-half, the Tigers were reduced to ten men. Ellis Barkworth failed to control the ball as the last man and as Thomas nipped in, Barkworth dragged the City man down on the edge of the area to give the referee no alternative.

It proved the catalyst for City who were soon ahead thanks to a moment of quality from Maycock. Thomas crossed from the right to the edge of the area and as Ben Stevenson struggled to control, Maycock latched onto the loose ball to find the top right stanchion from the edge of the area with 25 minutes remaining.

City poured forward and continued to find rewards as Sayoud found space on the left to cross first-time for Thomas, who capitalised on a poor clearance from Lewis Ritson, to find the bottom corner and double City's lead in the 74th minute.

The final goal of the game came two minutes later as the relentless Thomas supplied Spence on the edge of the area, and after getting the ball out of his feet, Spence rifled it home into the roof of the net.

The Sky Blues have one game remaining in the Under-21s season against Huddersfield Town at the Ricoh Arena on Monday where they'll be looking to make it five wins from five and end a progressive season with the Under-21s.

Team

Coventry City U21s: Addai (GK), Harries, Finch, Willis (Hickman 62), Di. Kelly-Evans, Sayoud (Thompson 83), Stevenson, Maycock, Shipley (Finn 72), Spence, G. Thomas.

Subs not used: Skuza (GK).

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/match-report-coventry-city-hull-city-under-21s-3073244.aspx

Glover post match:

City Under-21s coach Lee Glover has praised a great week for the club as his side recorded a 3-0 win over Hull City.

The Sky Blues have picked up 12 points across the first-team and Under-21s this week with four wins; Millwall and Bradford City for the first-team, Brentford and Hull City for the Under-21s.

The Under-21s have impressed in recent months with four straight wins and are unbeaten since a 2-1 defeat against Birmingham City on Monday, February 29th.

Glover believes his side are getting the rewards for creating a number of chances during the game and says they deserve recent results.

Glover said: "It's been a great week for the club, both at first-team level and with the Under-21s.

"To be honest, without being over the top and keeping a bit of humility, we've played really well in recent games and deserved every win and point we've got.

"We're creating a lot of chances which is pleasing for the players and the coaching staff. We've scored seven goals in the last two games this week but it could have been much higher with the amount of chances we created.

"George Thomas and Kyle Spence have been getting in great positions and at the moment, they're getting their reward. That gives them a great chance of being noticed."

Bilal Sayoud has impressed since joining the club from the Nike Academy in March and claimed another assist today, supplying the cross for Thomas to turn home.

Glover has praised the winger for his performances since joining the club and believes after a strong pre-season, he could get into the first-team picture next season.

He added: "Bilal looks like a good prospect for the club, he's developing well and looks like he's got a chance of progressing into our first-team in the future.

"He'll be in the first-team picture during pre-season I'm sure and he's got to work hard at taking that chance. He's a 12-month project but he has got natural ability, pace and power so let's see where we can develop him to.

"There's a few in the team today who could get near it. George Thomas, Ben Stevenson and Cian Harries have progressed well and could be in the manager's thoughts.

"It's important the players are picking up the results but also challenging themselves to improve their individual performances to get into the first-team picture."

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...y-hull-city-under-21s-post-match-3073330.aspx

Willis post match:

City defender Jordan Willis believes he can begin to put the injury 'frustration' behind him after returning for the Under-21s.

The 21-year old defender played his first competitive minutes in five months for the club after an ankle injury he originally sustained in the 2-1 defeat to Walsall in August 2015.

Willis did return for the Under-21s in December against Sheffield Wednesday and pulled up just 15 minutes into the game but now looks ready to return to first-team action.

The Coventry-born defender completed an hour against Hull City and he admitted it felt good to be back out on the pitch, even though he had cramp towards the end.

He said: "It was great to get back out there after so long. It's been such a frustrating period in my life but I can put it behind me now.

"I felt good. I pulled up with a bit of cramp towards the end of my time on the pitch but I've always suffered with that, even when I'm playing regularly.

"It's nothing to be concerned about and now I'm just looking ahead. I don't think I missed a header today against a physical striker as well so I was happy with my performance.

"It was also a great clean sheet for the side and it is great to be part of a winning side today. I'll probably play against Huddersfield on Monday to get more minutes under my belt.

The Sky Blues face Huddersfield Town at the Ricoh Arena on Monday with Willis set to play once again after City's 3-0 win over Hull City today.

Willis hopes he can get into the first-team squad before the end of the season but admitted his main focus is next campaign.

He added: "I'll start looking at first-team games after that. I've got to make sure I come through the Under-21s ok and fit because I don't want to rush and pull up which would disrupt my pre-season.

"It's been tough watching the game when they've been going through a bad patch but also when we've been picking up results. You always look at the games knowing you could help the team so it's been frustrating for me.

"After Monday's Under-21s game, the first-team have two games left so if I could get involved in that and the physio staff give me the thumbs up, that'd be great.

"Whilst it would be nice, that isn't my main focus. I want to get back in for pre-season and make up for lost time next season."

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/jordan-willis-coventry-city-hull-city-under-21s-3073555.aspx

SlowerThanPlatt

An U17 side beat Lincoln 4-3 on Saturday. Jordan Ponticelli scored again and has been signed for next season.

Reminder that it's the last game of the season for the U21s against Huddersfield today as they look to make it 5 wins in a row (Ricoh Arena, 2pm, free entry)

SlowerThanPlatt

Team: Addai (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans (C), Harries, Finch, Willis, Stevenson, Gadzhev, Sayoud, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Spence, Thomas

Just kicked off

Otis

Really wanted to go! No-one to pick up my daughter though.

Would have loved to see some of the kids who maybe pushing for first team football next year.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

Anyone on here gone to this? How's Sayoud and Gadzhev looking?
Well, Sayoud looks like this ....

613da24d4c93deb7b4150d102af5d30b.jpg

And Gadzhev looks like this ....

f0b5e3f5df81e36b5ee8a98b23f7f87c.jpg

Glad to be of help.

SlowerThanPlatt

Jordan Ponticelli signs:

Jordan arrived at Strachan Football Foundation on a day release from school in 2014 and became part of a BTEC Level 3 full time study programme in September 2015 and he is now moving onto a professional contract with league one side Coventry City. SFF have given Jordan many opportunities within professional football he has had trials with Hibernian, Stoke City , Doncaster and Cambridge United this season. The Sky Blues weren’t the only club interested in signing Jordan, Coventry had competition from two Premier League clubs, two Championship clubs and another League One side but it was Coventry City that impressed Jordan enough for him to sign a 2 year professional contract with the Sky Blues.

Managing Director Dan Elliott spoke of Jordan’s progress ” The past few seasons the role of a centre forward has evolved and the need for a physical hard working number 9 is key to a teams success, you look at the likes of Vardy , Kane , Callum Wilson, Diego Costa, they are all hard working strikers and get their rewards in the amount goals they score, Jordan is a similar type of player his work rate is unbelievable he deserves every goal he has scored this season.” “Our focus within the foundation is on the development of the individual and helping each player to reach their career goals, over the next few months we will see a number of lads moving on from the foundation, one player going to US on a scholarship with NAIA National Champions another 4 players trialling at professional clubs and 5 lads going onto to University Football Programme’s we are proud of everyone of the boys who reach there goals and ambitions in life and pride ourselves on helping the lads on their journey.”

Director of football George Mackie “I truly believe Coventry City have just signed a player who will go a long way in the game he is a quick, physical, hardworking a skilful striker who loves to score goals. From day one Jordan has shown a desire to be a professional footballer, his day to day conduct has been excemplary from the classroom to the training ground to match days, Jordan is a very focussed individual and has now got his reward we are so proud of him, we gave him opportunities at numerous clubs and 5 clubs were offering Jordan a contract, we are delighted he has chosen Coventry City, we have got him the opportunities and he has made an excellent choice in signing for the Sky Blues.”

Jordan has scored 39 goals in 37 games this season in all competitions for SFF and scored 4 goals in 3 games whilst on trial at Coventry City scoring 2 against Charlton , 1 against Barnsley and 1 in a recent 4-3 win v Lincoln City. Jordan spoke of his experience within Strachan Football Foundation ” I have really enjoyed my time with SFF they have helped me go on trial with a number of clubs in England and Scotland and I am really pleased to have signed for my hometown club Coventry City FC, they have really impressed me with their organisation and structure to their sessions. SFF offered me the opportunity to be involved in full time football, training everyday and the quality of coaching has allowed me to develop, I am fitter , stronger , quicker than I have ever been and have developed a better understanding of the game and my position of being a front man. I would like to thank all the coaches at SFF and hope I can do them proud in the next step in my career.”

All of the staff and current learners within Strachan Football Foundation wish Jordan all the very best in his next step of his football journey and we will be keeping a close eye on his progress at Coventry City Football Club.

Cian Harries on the past few months and his hopes for the future:

Centre-half Cian Harries delivered another bright performance against table topping Huddersfield Town as the Sky Blues U21s held the champions to a 1-1 draw at the Ricoh Arena.

Harries had spent part of the 2015/16 out on loan at Cheltenham Town, but with little opportunity for first team football, returned to the Sky Blues in February.

Since his return, Harries has been a staple in Lee Glover’s U21s side and the upturn in the young Sky Blues results has coincided with a return to form for the 19-year old defender.

Harries commented: “The 1-1 is a fair result in the end, we had spells and went 1-0 up but they came back in to it. We could have gone on in the second half and won it.

“I think the character of the team is much better than it was. We’ve had players missing for large chunks with injuries and myself and George [Thomas] out on loan. Resources have been stretched at times, but we’ve got a solid group now and it helps with morale.”

Harries has also had spells in the youth ranks of the Welsh international side, making his first appearance at U17 level and consequently at U19s.

The Sky Blues academy graduate is looking to put himself in the first team picture next season, with manager Tony Mowbray having to contend with an extensive player restructure over the summer.

“On a daily basis, some of us are training with the first team and we all want each other to do well. Credit to the boys,” Harries added.

“I found myself out of form earlier in the season, I was a bit down. Gloves expects better from me and I expect better from myself. Since February I have been playing some of my best football.

“With the first team seven points off the play-offs, with two games to go it’s mathematically impossible to get in there. It may give a chance to a couple of us to make the bench. In my mind, a few players will get a chance.

“I’m probably a bit lightweight still, so the aim is to bulk up over the summer and put myself in the managers thoughts come pre-season.”

Interview with Richard Stevens on Sky Blues Player too. He said Ponticelli's impressive performances on trial alerted other clubs but he was adamant he wanted to sign for us. Worth noting that Ponticelli has signed pro terms a year early and is still eligible for the U18s next season.

We have currently signed up 7 first year scholars to join our U18s next season. Stevens wants 1 or 2 more though. The 7 include - 3 from our system (Lewis Green, Tyler Johnson and Josh Eccles), 1 from Derby (Sion Green), 1 from Brentford (Ross McMahon) and 2 from Southampton (Billy Stedman and a player I'm not sure of yet).

dongonzalos

Jordan Ponticelli signs:

Cian Harries on the past few months and his hopes for the future:

Interview with Richard Stevens on Sky Blues Player too. He said Ponticelli's impressive performances on trial alerted other clubs but he was adamant he wanted to sign for us. Worth noting that Ponticelli has signed pro terms a year early and is still eligible for the U18s next season.

We have currently signed up 7 first year scholars to join our U18s next season. Stevens wants 1 or 2 more though. The 7 include - 3 from our system (Lewis Green, Tyler Johnson and Josh Eccles), 1 from Derby (Sion Green), 1 from Brentford (Ross McMahon) and 2 from Southampton (Billy Stedman and a player I'm not sure of yet).

Thanks for the info all very positive stuff

SlowerThanPlatt

Highlights from the U21s final game of the season against Huddersfield:

[video=youtube_share;0HSk29Sm5Bs]https://youtu.be/0HSk29Sm5Bs[/video]

steve82

Some strike that from Gadzhev. Good signs that.
Worrying trend that we don't look to good at set pieces in that game too.

SlowerThanPlatt

An U17 side beat an U20 side from Strachan Football Foundation 4-3 earlier today. Jordan Ponticelli scored a hat-trick and Tom Bayliss scored the other

Users who are viewing this thread