Tyler walker (5 Viewers)

SleepyGinger

If Robins is willing to let Waghorn and Walker go then he must think he can bring in better. With only Gyokeres (as it stands) and an injury prone Godden we will need reinforcements.

NorthernWisdom

Football is a business like no other
Most clubs are absolutely ruthless when they have the upper hand
The players know that and most will be sympathetic to fellow professionals in the same position as Walker & Waghorn now and Hilssner & Jobello last term, who were bombed out to the U23s until Jobello was paid off and Hilssner found a club in Germany
But it's an utterly stupid scenario that.

Agent says pay up front or he won't leave permanently, club says we'll pay you weekly, agent says no. Player, then, continues to be paid weekly anyway, just either in the reserves, or on loan and having to find a new club the season after.

That's not an agent playing hardball, that's an agent showing a total lack of awareness!

Colin Steins Smile

But it's an utterly stupid scenario that.

Agent says pay up front or he won't leave permanently, club says we'll pay you weekly, agent says no. Player, then, continues to be paid weekly anyway, just either in the reserves, or on loan and having to find a new club the season after.

That's not an agent playing hardball, that's an agent showing a total lack of awareness!
There is a bit of leeway for the club, in that in terms of cash flow.

If the final amount the agent insists on is the same as being fully paid for a year, then it's probably better for the club to spread the cost over the rest of his contract term and to make life as difficult, as possible, for the player.

Insisting on him training with the U23's with no game time and any deviations on behaviour fining him, etc. If a player is hopeful of getting another contract after sitting doing nothing for a year....then he's very optimistic!

The best solution financially for the club is to sell him [not likely]. Alternatively, a loan for the final year of his contract with [hopefully] the recipient club paying circa 50- 70% of wages is a good option.

Legia Sky Blue

It's not just down to his agent. Waghorn's preferred club to move to might only want to commit initially until the January window, and then see how things go. While there's a chance of another club willing to pay some of his salary I don't see CCFC just paying him off in full. I suspect he will nominally still be our player next season, even if he doesn't end up playing a game for us.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Chesterfield are in the play-offs so could be in Lg2 next season. Just seen Paul Cook is back managing them - he's had a bit of a fall from grace since leaving Wigan.

Highly unlikely I'd imagine. They barely scraped 7th.

Since Cook came in their form has plummeted. Bearing in mind when James Rowe, their previous manager left they were sitting in second I believe.

Not all Cook's fault though. Their striker Kabongo, who at the time had pretty much scored half their goals suffered a broken leg soon after he came in.

Briles

Tbf to walker he was our top scorer in our first season back in the prem then godden and gyokores pulled away.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Football is a business like no other
Most clubs are absolutely ruthless when they have the upper hand
The players know that and most will be sympathetic to fellow professionals in the same position as Walker & Waghorn now and Hilssner & Jobello last term, who were bombed out to the U23s until Jobello was paid off and Hilssner found a club in Germany

Surely there will be a number of outcomes from such negotiations? For instance, a settlement could be made, the former club could pay the player's contract up to the point of him finding a new club or the former club could pay the difference between their new contract and their previous contract for the final year.

I very much doubt it's as rigid as you say.

Clubs are ruthless but most aren't utterly unreasonable.

better days

Surely there will be a number of outcomes from such negotiations? For instance, a settlement could be made, the former club could pay the player's contract up to the point of him finding a new club or the former club could pay the difference between their new contract and their previous contract at the club they've just departed from for the final year.

I very much doubt it's as rigid as you say.

Clubs are ruthless but most aren't utterly unreasonable.
Here's a notorious example

KenilworthSkyBlue

better days

Jack Rodwell is the exception, not the rule. Most players want to play football, not sit on the sidelines running down their contract.
There will be differences when a player is still in demand so other clubs will be willing to take them
Waghorn will possibly fall into that category
No one wanted Rodwell as he had downed tools and had an attitude that stank to high heaven
Two very recent examples in our own club are Hilssner and Jobello
We made life as uncomfortable as possible for them by banishing them to train with the U23s and not giving them games in the hope they'd leave and walk away from their contracts
Neither did
Jobello was eventually paid off and Hilssner is still seeing out his contract, albeit the poor guy has done his ACL and has remained in Germany

ccfc1234

There will be differences when a player is still in demand so other clubs will be willing to take them
No one wanted Rodwell as he had downed tools and had an attitude that stank to high heaven
We made life as uncomfortable as possible for them by banishing them to train with the U23s and not giving them games in the hope they'd leave and walk away from their contracts
Neither did
Jobello was eventually paid off and Hilssner is still seeing out his contract, albeit the poor guy has done his ACL and has remained in Germany
Do you know much about the scouting side of the club. Do you think Hilssner was ever watched playing in person Or was signed on the back of a video scouting review and statistical analysis? Either way the length of the contract appears to have worked against us.

SlowerThanPlatt

Do you know much about the scouting side of the club. Do you think Hilssner was ever watched playing in person Or was signed on the back of a video scouting review and statistical analysis? Either way the length of the contract appears to have worked against us.

Given Robins said he will be going to watch potential foreign signings in person now to avoid “bad signings” I don’t think he previously had much to do with it

better days

He was probably watched by someone on the club's payroll and then recommended to Robins who would have watched recordings
As @SlowerThanPlatt says Robins is now going to watch targets personally before we commit to bring a player in

The Philosopher

Can never understand the “bomb squad” tactic with players.

There are very few that are going to say “ok I’ll write of a s*** load of money to play elsewhere”.

Bogarde was an early example, Rodwell above also.

Our players should be assets that we treat as such.

There’s a better way.

Take Adeobla; he was playing like he’d forgotten where his feet were, we sent him out on loan and he didn’t do so well so we sent him out again and he came back and had a purple patch.

Just because Walker flopped at Pompey it doesn’t mean he’s finished. He’s got talent in there somewhere and is proven at L1/L2. Notts County have got decent gates and aren’t bound by FFP. Walker should walk (🙄) that league and County could chip in a decent percentage. At Xmas his reputation and confidence will have (I predict) somewhat recovered bring him back then and see where we go. There’s the argument that VNL is too low to be taken as a serious gauge but in no any case, one failed loan doesn’t mean he’s finished. See Adebola for details.

We need to stop with the bomb squad, can you imagine what players thought of the club and manager when they were being forced to train at the Memorial Park? I believe in peer reference (was laughed at previously, but I don’t care), a struggling player gets treated badly and ends up at say L1. In that L1 team there’s a player doing well on CCFC’s radar. We make an offer. “Hey, (x Cov player)” asks the CCFC target, “you played at Cov, what are they like?”. “Don’t go there. Bunch of c****”.

No.

Better way:

Firstly, don’t sign YouTube foreigners on long contracts.

Secondly don’t sign old players who will never have a resale value or the possibility of being shipped on to a club in a year willing to match wages (Waghorn, just like Beavon before.). Utter utter madness.

Thirdly, have a couple or three pseudo-affiliate clubs where we arrange to put players to regain fitness, form / whatever. Scotland, L1, upper non-league.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Neither did

There's obviously a clear correlation between more favourable settlements being agreed on the behalf of players under contract that would attract interest over players such as Hilssner who realistically we'd have no other option to reach a settlement with.

However, your claim that in order to allow a player join another club the only option for clubs is to negotiate an early settlement on the current contract of a player is dubious at best. Darragh McAnthony discusses it at length in one of his podcasts and details numerous alternatives he's brokered throughout his chairmanship.

As, if that were the case, and the only option was to provide said player cash up front, clubs would simply not afford to be able to move players on. Which is an outcome that's neither beneficial for the club, nor the player in question.

Granted there are numerous cases where players hold fast on their contracts and won't budge, which they're more than entitled to do, but I'd imagine by large there will be far more flexibility than you think regarding how settlements are structured. It's not a case of block payment or nothing.

better days

There's obviously a clear correlation between more favourable settlements being agreed on the behalf of players under contract that would attract interest over players such as Hilssner who realistically we'd have no other option to reach a settlement with.

However, your claim that in order to allow a player join another club the only option for clubs is to negotiate an early settlement on the current contract of a player is dubious at best. Darragh McAnthony discusses it at length in one of his podcasts and details numerous alternatives he's brokered throughout his chairmanship.

As, if that were the case, and the only option was to provide said player cash up front, clubs would simply not afford to be able to move players on. Which is an outcome that's neither beneficial for the club, nor the player in question.

Granted there are numerous cases where players hold fast on their contracts and won't budge, which they're more than entitled to do, but I'd imagine by large there will be far more flexibility than you think regarding how settlements are structured. It's not a case of block payment or nothing.
I agree with you
But last year Pask, Jobello and Hilssner were all bombed out until Pask and Hilssner found clubs in January
There were no takers for Jobello so he was paid off

alexccfc99

I don’t think Walker is a bad player, at all! He just doesn’t necessarily suit our system

People forget his goals went a long way into keeping us up the other season and scored two in two last season and was then dropped, which probably harmed his confidence

Shame he hasn’t worked out considering Robins wanted him for so long

Yorkshire SB

Walker isn't up to the level. Doesn't have the technical ability, pace, or strength required, and then crucially appears to lack the intensity and aggression required to combat those shortcomings.

Not questioning his attitude or professionalism, these aren't attributes you can just turn on/off. He might overcome some of these and improve to the required level in future, but I think if we're serious about progressing he can't be in our plans.

Grendel

Walker isn't up to the level. Doesn't have the technical ability, pace, or strength required, and then crucially appears to lack the intensity and aggression required to combat those shortcomings.

Not questioning his attitude or professionalism, these aren't attributes you can just turn on/off. He might overcome some of these and improve to the required level in future, but I think if we're serious about progressing he can't be in our plans.

Mmmm

Yorkshire SB

Mmmm

Strange. What point are you making there? Just read through and I stand by what I said (a long time ago, and v strange that you've cited it).

The reason Biamou was played so often was because Walker wasn't good enough, didn't have a presence. Biamou wasn't good enough, but he was aggressive and combative, and he made more of a fist of it than Walker, hence the comment.

Gyokeres has changed things massively for us. Love Godden but when we play him up top by himself, we look significantly worse. His finishing been on another level this season though.

Grendel

Strange. What point are you making there? Just read through and I stand by what I said (a long time ago, and v strange that you've cited it).

The reason Biamou was played so often was because Walker wasn't good enough, didn't have a presence. Biamou wasn't good enough, but he was aggressive and combative, and he made more of a fist of it than Walker, hence the comment.

Gyokeres has changed things massively for us. Love Godden but when we play him up top by himself, we look significantly worse. His finishing been on another level this season though.

You said biamou was better than godden and Walker - Walker was top goalscorer that season.

Sick Boy

Biamou aggressive🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread